Movies Like The Importance of Being Earnest

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

The Importance of Being Earnest Reviews

KJ P

January 26, 2012
This adaptation of the classic play is a very nice tribute, keeping the dialogue and characters, very close to home. What I must comment on, is that the settings and outdoor scenes felt a little understudied. There is a particular scene that should have taken place in the living room, but ended up displaying it outside as Cecily climbs down a ladder. I absolutely love the story of how two friends meet a love of their life, and are both disapproved by someone or another. It is such a funny idea to have both girls in love with the name earnest, while figuring out that both men calling themselves Earnest, do not even helm that proper name. The overall story is a brilliant little tale that I will probably refer to for a long time, and the play does portray the substance with perfection, but the few scenes of dumb humour, the set locations, the al bait too short running time, and odd take for direction, slightly degrades the effectiveness that the play brought upon. However, I highly enjoy this film, and I would have no problem recommending it to anyone, even if that haven't read the play!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 9, 2009
Cast: Rupert Everett, Colin Firth, Frances O'Connor, Reese Witherspoon, Judi Dench, Tom Wilkinson, Anna Massey, Edward Fox, Patrick Godfrey, Charles Kay

Director: Oliver Parker

Summary: In this adaptation of Oscar Wilde's witty play about mistaken identities, Rupert Everett and Colin Firth star as two proper gentlemen in 1890s London who use the same pseudonym with disastrous results. At a country estate, they fall in love with two ladies -- Cecily (Reese Witherspoon) and Gwendolyn (Frances O'Connor). But the hilarious confusion that ensues from their noms de guerre could sink their respective chances at romance.

My Thoughts: "The movie was as silly and humorous as it was intended to be. The film is filled with a very talented cast of actor's from Colin Firth to Judi Dench. Loved the costumes and the scenery. It was an enjoyable film, but not something I would probably watch a second time."
Cynthia S

November 2, 2010
This movie has its moments, but despite an excellent cast the attempts to jazz up the content detracted rather than added to the enjoyment. The whole pre-Raphaelite fantasy thing creaked like a rusty door. The wit and charm of the original play still pokes through with Firth, Dench, Wilkinson, etc. doing what they can, but these are almost obscured by this schoolboyish attempt to try a new angle.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

March 17, 2008
A good film, based on a great play.

There are few who can match the writing skills of Oscar Wilde, especially when he is doing what he does best - social satire.

The cast is impressive and (mostly) fun to watch. Though I found the music and Ms. Witherspoon is a bit off putting. She seemed a bit out of place here.

But all in all an enjoyable little romp.
thmtsang
thmtsang

March 24, 2008
Great cast. Funny comedy about mistaken identities in 1890s England.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 23, 2007
A casualty of being married had me watch this one. It fits the chick flick model, of being cute yet pointless. However, It wasn't painful to watch...but I kept wishing that zombies would pop out that Rupert Everett would fight or have sex with.
Jennifer X

May 30, 2007
i thought it was kind of cute, especially the part when they sang.
Drew S

January 23, 2007
The play is better. This has very little to offer, except for Miss Prism, who is amazing.
Michael G

November 5, 2006
I liked it, I just don't need to see it again.
Luke B

May 28, 2006
Lighthearted and enjoyable. Certainly wont go down as classic, but for a rainy Sunday afternoon it's perfection. MMMMMMMM
Dannielle A

July 20, 2009
Great humor! Just my cup of tea. I love Cecily's imagination and the antics of both pretend Earnests. The ending was a smashing surprise and a crescendo of wild dramatics.
Juan C

July 13, 2011
a witty, smart, hillarious and enjoyable peerless comedy with manners! also has to be one of colin firth's best performance! A+
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

October 17, 2010
The theme of the play is, in true Wilde fashion, utilizes a clever play on words to make its point. The `earnest' of the title serves a double function, referring to both the importance of honesty and truthfulness in human relations and to the fact that two men are displaying anything but those virtues when they commandeer the name Ernest as a pseudonym to advance their own selfish causes. Beautifully filmed in the lovely English countryside, this movie revolves around two wealthy and decadent men in London. Both lead secret lives: Jack Worthing pretends to be his wild brother Ernest when in the city, so that he can live the good life and keep his good reputation, while Algernon Moncrieff has a conveniently sick friend called Mr. Bunbury, whom he 'visits' when he wants to escape into the country. The two men have been pulling off their tangled webs quite nicely until their deception leads to complications in their romantic lives when they are discovered by Cecily (Reese Witherspoon), Jack's ward whom Algernon is pursuing, and Gwendolyn (Frances O'Connor), Algernon's cousin whom Jack adores.

RUPERT EVERETT was the standout for me, excellent flair for light tongue-in-cheek comedy while REESE WITHERSPOON give a delightful performance playing a dreamy and head-in-the-clouds character (although she failed to hold a consistent English accent from one line to the next). COLIN FIRTH was his usual excellent self while Dame Judi Dench is great as she plays an absolute dragon as Gwendolyn's mother, Lady Bracknell.
Mike T

January 18, 2007
Solid but ultimately underwhelming adaptation. I love the play, so any decently directed adaptation is in my good books.
bamadeb77
bamadeb77

January 22, 2010
I didnt even know about this movie until recently....I really enjoyed it:)
mingsysar
mingsysar

March 2, 2006
Great film, superb adaptation of my favourite play and incredibly faithful to Wilde and the original story: witty, fun and intelligent. Watch out for the song with Everett and Firth. Everyone is perfectly cast except O'Connor, sorry hun.
Sunil J

August 12, 2007
It's cute. I've seen this on stage and on film and I like them both.
Embstj
November 27, 2010
The movie was slow at times, but overall well done. Great work with the visuals, and the dynamic between the two main characters was great. I very much like the musical rendition of Oscar Wilde's Serenade as well.
olgakorobova2002
February 28, 2010
Reese Withespoon is great as always, and there are a few laughs, but the film lacks overall charm in my opinion and leaves little behind.
November 8, 2009
A period piece starring Colin Firth, Rupert Everett and Judi Dench seemed like perfection, until I watched it. I suppose I just wasn't into the silliness, which reached unfathomable heights at its close. With the exception of Witherspoon, whose English accent highlights all her shortcomings as an actress, I still loved watching the cast even though their talents seemed wasted in this awkwardly told tale.