Impromptu Reviews

August 29, 2014
What a cast! And an entertaining, witty movie about some of my favorite artists from one of my favorite periods of history. Beautifully filmed. Has anyone else reviewing this actually read a novel by George Sand? I did.
July 6, 2014
I really don't know if this movie was well made. It was somehow fun to watch, but as I HUGE Chopin fan, I really didn't like that Hugh Grant was casted (I totally hate him, don't know why). And having read Chopin's biographies, I find the Waltz 'Minute' story inaccurate...
½ June 29, 2014
"Impromptu" is fun to watch. Even more impressive is that it is based on fact.
½ May 17, 2014
A light and frothy, inconsequential but enjoyable romantic comedy about the romance between Frederic Chopin and George Sand. The narrative is somewhat undisciplined, but there a number of comic episodes and the performances are good. The best part of the movie, however, is the soundtrack which is almost entirely Chopin. Truly a delight for the eyes and ears, even if it won't stay with you long after finishing it.
December 29, 2013
Very interesting. A woman who dressed like a man in that century, People could think she was insane. But she was brilliant and cunning. While the love was a bit rushed I think this movie was alright.
October 28, 2013
Creo que es mi película de supercompositores favorita
September 7, 2013
The humor and sincerity of emotions make this movie fun and charming.
½ May 19, 2013
As a period piece, "Impromptu" is kind of perfect. The costumes are all marvelous, the performances elegant, and the sets are designed to every detail to match the century that they're set in. The 1800s have never been so nice to look at, and have never been so enticing. We're so used to seeing "Pride and Prejudice"-esque films, but to see one filled with musicians and artists that were in fact, real, it's a bit more interesting. Though "Impromptu" is at first glimpse, a Chopin biography, it focuses on his lover, George Sand (Judy Davis). Sand is completely independent-- she never cared about what others thought and did what she wanted. Davis has the wit and class needed to play Sand, and it's easy to root for her as she tries to seduce Chopin. The film doesn't chronicle either characters entire life, but sometime in the later 1830s, a time where Sand was doing everything possible to get the guy. Chopin was Polish, with a big nose, and was always frail looking. In this film he's played by Hugh Grant, who would later become an actor all women would swoon over. Though he doesn't necessarily match the composer in looks, he somehow manages to let us believe that this is the man in the flesh. In the meantime, it's rather difficult for Sand to retrieve Chopin for herself at first-- the former's jilted lover, Felicien Mallefille (Georges Corraface) is desperate for revenge and Chopin's good friend Franz Liszt (Julien Sands), also a composer, has a lover (Bernadette Peters) that wants Chopin for herself. We can all tell how it will play out, but "Impromptu" is much too entertaining and well-acted to make anything seem manipulative. Chopin is one of the best and most influential composers of all time. I can't think of a different "biography" (is it really one?) that's more respectful, all the while being as glamorous and fun as a film should be. The film doesn't revolve around him, per se, but his music floats throughout many scenes, and it's simply wonderful to hear. Does "Impromptu" give much insight? Not really. If anything, it's fluffy. It's like a romance movie. Oddly enough, it doesn't feel out of place-- this is the kind of story where love stories are at their best. Considering Chopin was considered a composer of the "romantic period" of music, it seems fitting. "Impromptu" is by turns funny, dramatic, and romantic, so I guess you could say it's uneven. It also stays a bit confusing throughout, as much isn't exactly explained. But if you have enough inside knowledge when it comes to the life of Chopin, it's lots of fun to watch. And if none of the above appeals to you, simply see the film for its performances-- the above mentioned are superb, while fleeting characters portrayed by Emma Thompson, Mandy Patinkin, and Bernadette Peters are enjoyable.
½ April 14, 2013
3.5/5 It never really comes together, but I liked it anyway.
½ January 5, 2011
We saw this at the local library. Well, some of it. I found it more interesting than my wife did. Of course, that's probably because I have worked with some of these types. Who knows? Maybe I was even a bit like one of them at one time, if not in talent level at least in personality. ;)
hunterjt13
October 13, 2012
George Sand courts Chopin amid 19th Century social conventions including duels and the oppression of women.
A lush costume drama with strong performances by Judy Davis and Mandy Patinkin, Impromptu has all the trappings of a Merchant/Ivory production. Its sly wit and subtle conflicts are always engaging, but what sets this film apart from some of the - for lack of a better word - boredom of Merchant/Ivory's work is the performance by Patinkin. Riding into a woman's bedroom on a horse, drunkenly shooting the officiant of a duel, and a garrulous braggart demeanor, Patinkin injects some energy to a film that desperately needs it. Davis's portrayal of George Sand is believable; no actress can capture Sand's masculine guise and still retain a strain of femininity like Davis.
What bothers me about the film is how the story ends up reinforcing the gender conventions of the time. George Sand pursues Chopin in a hybrid of a masculine assertiveness, but her eventual victory comes with subverting her desires to what's required of a typical female in the 19th Century. Even the man, Chopin, rows the boat in the final montage of coupledom bliss.
Overall, I liked Impromptu for Patinkin and Davis, but George Sand, a revolutionary feminist figure, deserved a better fate.
June 21, 2012
I usually don't enjoy romance movies, however the female lead in this story hit home with me tremendously, and the beautiful piano music by Chopin was lovely.
May 29, 2012
Didn't like the he-bitchy George at all. Story was kinda flat. Even for this time, George would not have been looked at greatly, to me anyhow.
December 7, 2011
This movie is noteable because it features Hugh Grant before he became Hugh Grant. He plays Chopin so well that one forgets who he is - and this surely is the sign of great acting.

This is an 1840's love story, and it is set in France - so don't expect depth or dramatic intensity. There are times when it descends into comedy, even farce - possibly in a way that is authentically French; I cannot tell. But if you want to know what sort of a man Chopin was, I recommend it. Grant makes Chopin live for us - ironically perhaps, since we see him in the last years of his life, the fires of creativity and passion burning brightly. He is ascetic, polite, correct, physically frail yet spiritually strong. When he meets Sand he is initially remote and unreachable, but when he falls in love at last he is heartstoppingly vulnerable. This is a consummate piece of acting. If you are a Grant fan - and even more if you're not - watch this.
½ April 1, 2012
sheer joy and madness! must eventually watch the whole thing (keep catching bits on tv) love it! emma thompson! and those children and their obsession with the french revolution - so awesome.
February 22, 2012
Wonderful period piece about some of the most interesting characters of the 19th century.
½ January 11, 2012
A great cast. This is one of my All- time favorites! I highly recommend this film!
December 23, 2011
Being a Hugh Grant fan, I had great hopes for such a well reviewed movie on Amazon, but boy was I mistaken. I am quite sure Hugh Grant himself must be embarrassed with such a performance.

This movie had absolutely no story line or plot, paper-thin acting, horrendous values and was a complete waste of time. I managed to make it through the entire thing with the vain hope that somehow the production might redeem itself in the end, but alas, this was not to be the case.

To anyone considering a purchase of this movie, I strongly advise you to think twice so you are not disappointed as we were.
December 18, 2011
a cute romantic movie, but with famous figures
July 31, 2007
This was a good movie with very good acting, but the plot really does not tend it to be anything really fantastic.