• PG-13, 1 hr. 49 min.

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

In Good Company Reviews

June 17, 2014
The culture of corporations was followed in this film with some sympathy in relation to the culture, a not-so-big part of an intriguing plot that involved nicely casted, triangular chemistries between a salesman, his daughter and his half-younger boss. The film in its nature, while following its topical culture, has good charms and humor, both in the nice heart. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
Red Wine
August 10, 2014
Three main characters - hot-looking "gay dream" guy, "sports&muscles" quite mature daughter-girl, and Harrison Ford look-alike looser-father. Naturally, I don't believe what I see through the movie, when charm plays hard, stupid plays emotional, and charisma plays weakness ...
It's all started well as corporate war movie, but then turned out to be "feelings, beliefs and drama on the spilled milk". Nobody died, neither was killed during the film, however the murder of sense was done several times.
I have so many questions on movie script, but I won't ask , since I understand all was done to make the drama more dramatic. Problem: It cannot be done with main female character temperament, as hot as iceberg. She really plays tennis more emotional (2 scenes), than any love&life ones.
November 24, 2009
A good story although I felt bad for Quaid
June 18, 2014
Well told story and realistic script make this a pleasure to watch. Topher Grace and Dennis Quiad perfectly embody their roles. This is a quieter dramedy, but very fulfilling.
June 16, 2007
Romantic comedies aren't for everyone, and they're generally not for me, but this one really worked. Everyone was great, and the story was far from typical, and the characters were all very distinct and believable.
Buggy43
April 18, 2014
Good movie, better than I expected from a "romantic business comedy". The story felt unique despite the initial hook of a business man being replaced by someone half his age who proceeds to date his daughter. It ends up being witty, clever and funny with layers of sub stories. Topher Grace is really good and I enjoyed Dennis Quaid and Scarlett Johansson's father/daughter relationship. There are a ton of recognizable actors, even in the smallest of roles and the soundtrack was excellent too. 04.20.14
December 28, 2013
A very sweet film that ultimately reminds us that things may turn out quite well, but still don't have to end absolutely perfectly. Great story.
April 3, 2012
Quaid and Grace lacked a bit of on-screen chemistry but the acting by both did enough to hid it behind Grace's spazy boss attempt and Quaid's cool and composed veteran persona. In Good Company was much better than I had expected. It may not be laugh out loud funny or even that captivating but as the title implies you feel like you are In Good Company.
December 31, 2013
Good comedy with a great cast, an interesting story & some adorable moments.
peanutdonut
November 29, 2013
Better than I expected.
RottenB
November 8, 2013
A subtle, quiet Jem from 04 that I remembering being really engaged with. The characters are so developed that the story could have revolved around a 36 hour long period of time where they are sitting in an insurance seminar and it would have still worked. Denis Quid gives us a real person to root for. Not in the heroic sense, but in the everyday flawed, scared, struggling man sense. Why this didn't propel Topher Grace a bit further in his career is a mystery. (I guess because of Spider-Man 3) ScarJo is always pleasant to look at and gives us a great depiction of a young girl looking for her place in the College and Romance juggling act. Great supporting cast as well. The movie just feels real from the struggles of the harsh environment workplace to the family changes. This was my favorite film of 2004.
September 16, 2013
Nails corporate culture to a T. It may seem dull watching, but is more truthful then not.
Allen G.
July 30, 2013
Sadly this one didn't really do anything for me- it's not a bad film in that I can see how people could enjoy it but for me it was not fun.

With a film like this, and with most films really, the characters are what matter and the downfall of this one for me was that I didn't like them. We have the typical two opposing players here and it's clear who we're supposed to side with at first- the under appreciated and demoted family man Foreman over the inexperienced young Carter who is incompetent and undeserving of his position.

The thing is though- family-man Dan isn't an interesting character, he is the same one you'd find in countless other movies and his storyline is just him wanting to take care of his daughter as opposed to her, you know, taking care of herself. There's no excitement in his 'unhinged' aspect too- I'd rather watch Falling Down for something like that. It's a bland character by all accounts and a good performance from Quad doesn't come close to fixing that.

Worse yet, Carter never improves really- by the end we are supposed to feel as if he has changed in some way but this isn't the case. All we get in this movie is a man whose marriage ends (through is own stupidity in some ways) and who then, simply by saying she is beautiful all the time, begins to date his 'enemy's' daughter (how original...), played by Scarlett Johansson. There is nothing new about this plotline either and it all feels rehashed- sure it is well done, the acting is good all-round in this film and the dialogue seems passable I guess but this isn't the kind of film that can get by on its premise alone. It is an old premise and unless there's something new on show, this one won't, and for me, doesn't, impress.

I didn't find it particularly funny either which didn't help- there really weren't any laughs here, it had no real tone behind it other than a day-time TV melodrama which only reminds us that this film is trying, and miserably failing, to make corporate culture seem like a good setting for a film like this- I'll never understand why so many films make the same mistake. If you want to make fun of corporate culture then take it seriously, don't copy and paste it into a bog-standard feud movie.

I truly hate to use this word but this one is overrated for me, it really is. It just doesn't give me anything worthwhile- it is all predictable and while I like that it didn't go full-on happy ending, it was still pretty dependant on entirely expected role-reversal situations which aren't funny in a film where it is clear from the get-go that the roles should be reversed.

The main characters annoyed me- Foreman because he feels like a movie-ready character mould and Carter because he doesn't earn my attention- why should I care about this guy? Anyway, it's perfectly okay if you just want something on while you eat your tea but I'd sure as hell be disappointed if I watched this film under any other circumstance.
October 5, 2007
Entertaining without being too predictable at the end.
June 29, 2013
I don't know if it really needs to move in a very slow pace to show where it's getting at, but with the right formula, In Good Company just gives you the warmth it advertises.
June 17, 2013
feels forced most of the time.
Dann M

June 12, 2013
In Good Company is a smart and prolific film that offers some insightful commentary on corporate downsizing and its effects. The story follows a middle-aged father named Dan Foreman whose life is thrown into turmoil when his company is bought out, and he finds himself working for a boss half his age who has no experience. The casting is really good, and includes Dennis Quaid, Topher Grace, and Scarlett Johansson; who all deliver strong performances. Additionally, the writing is quite good, especially in its witty satire and social commentary. Still, there are some script issues, and it plays things a bit safe. Fun and sincere, In Good Company is a timely film with some interesting things to say.
May 27, 2013
Strong performances from it's cast, particularly Topher Grace and Dennis Quaid. "In Good Company" may not appeal to everyone but, it should be seen for the performances alone and the sweet and tender moments given. A film that is truly under rated among the general audience, if they've heard of it in my opinion.
May 5, 2013
Liked it a lot. Good Sunday-morning-while-making-breakfast, life-affirming movie. NOT a tidy plot, which makes it even better. I need to see more Dennis Quaid movies! And I really liked the depth that Topher Grace brought to his character.
April 2, 2013
"In Good Company" doesn't blaze any new trails, but it's a decent fusion of the romantic comedy and adult coming-of-age genres. These are good performances from the three leads, particularly Topher Grace (a really talented actor who hasn't really struck a chord in the right role yet). It's predictable, but resists the temptation to push the sentimentality too hard. The ending is sweet and refreshingly different for a movie like this-- it actually means something for the characters. Good soundtrack too (featuring Iron and Wine).