In Her Shoes Reviews

November 9, 2007
Enjoyed much more rewatching it. Toni Collette and Cameron Diaz are great here. The theme is a little darker than your average chick flick. Perhaps the reason I initially rated it lower - not quite what I expected.
TheDudeLebowski65
April 14, 2012
In Her Shoes is a boring awful film with an a bad cast and a flawed story. Cameron Diaz is passed her prime, and she has made her one good film in recent times, unfortunately her career has been very hit and miss, with more misses that actually good films. In Her Shoes was a boring, awful affair. One that was simply not worth your time. In Her Shoes was a boring film with bad acting. I really wasn't liking Cameron Diaz here, and I thought that she ruined a potentially good film with her annoying performance. The film was bad because it could have used more story development and better characters. The film is really clichéd, and you know what will happen next. I just can't recommend this film. I thought that the film could have been improved on, and that they could have done better than this. Unfortunately, the filmmakers delivered an awful film that isn't worth watching. Bad acting, a bad script and overall bad direction make this film a pointless and awful film to watch. I just despised the film from start to finish, and the film goes from a potential good film to a clichéd chick flick in a matter of minutes. The film misses the mark, and maybe, just maybe if it had a different cast an d are worked script, this film would have been watchable and not the atrocious mess that it turned out to be. The film shouldn't be seen, and if you do watch it, go in with mediocre to bad expectations.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Really enjoyed this film, Cameron Diaz was fantastic and it's a really heart wrenching film. You really feel empathetic towards the two sisters. A must see!
BEACHBUNNI
October 15, 2007
Maggie (Cameron Diaz) and Rose (Toni Collette) are both best friends as well as sisters and absolute opposites when it comes to values, goals and personal styles. Maggie is a real party girl who barely graduated from high school recycles jobs as quickly as yesterdays newspapers and believes her biggest asset is her attractiveness to the opposite sex. Rose is a Princeton educated attorney at a top law firm in Philadelphia her low self esteem regarding her physical appearance has left her dating life just about non existent. Roses one joy in life is shoes (because they always fit), but unfortunately she has few social opportunities to remove them from her closet. After a falling out, the two sisters travel a bumpy road toward true appreciation for one another aided along the way by the discovery of the maternal grandmother they thought was dead and through their reconnection with their grandmother, Ella,(Shirley Maclaine), Maggie and Rose learn how to make peace with themselves and with each other.
May 15, 2007
Pretty good. That's all I can say as I don't remember much of it.
movieguru12
February 19, 2008
A good movie about finding your true self & changing for the better :)
FiLmCrAzY
September 4, 2007
This was ok film really it was etertaining and heart warming and amusing!!
deano
February 18, 2007
Great chick flick wavers between comedy and life's day-to-day tragedies. Toni Collette is terrific as the brainy, responsible sister, finally discards her trampy sibling (Cameron Diaz). The break allows each woman to become a whole, Collette to relax and enjoy life and Diaz to make something of herself. Shirley MacLaine, as their long-absent grandmother, offers the glue to reconnect the two. Between teary heartfelt moments are delightful comedy bits including Diaz embracing life in the retirement village. WOW! Diaz looked very sexy when she wore an underwear or binki on - whistle!
September 3, 2008
Hanson has dealt with the rap version of Rocky, a crazed nanny in The Hand That Rocks the Cradle and has also delivered one of the best films of all time L.A. Confidential. SO the man that can apparently churn out anything has a rather successful shot at an unapologetic chick flick. Yes it is sexist to group films by sex, but here it is mostly relevant. Men are there to do sweet things, be bastards, and be judged behind closed doors. It's lovely to see Cameron Diaz in her underwear for most of the film and the sisterly relationship is good while the two stars are on screen together. It has some humour but this is mostly a drama about responsibility and happiness as well as forgiveness. People learn valuable lessons and become upstanding citizens by the end all in the name of girl power.
thmtsang
July 13, 2007
Interesting movie about two very different sisters with nothing in common but their shoe size. Great cast.
September 2, 2007
I think this movie is fluff. I suppose there is some redeeming value in the sisters finding a grandmother they didn't know they had and finding out about their childhoods.
July 31, 2007
Love this movie!
March 18, 2007
i just really like this film, it makes you happy watching it! really cheers you up!
September 3, 2006
Wow, this is a pleasant surprise. Diaz continues to prove not only her acting, but her ensemble playing ability as well. Collette, following up on strong performances in films like Japanese Story and Muriel's Wedding, continues to amaze with her depth. Some of the back and forth of the two sisters' stories is a little tiresome, but if you see this one for anything, see it to marvel at the acting abiltiy of Ken Howard. This is a man who should be acting on the big screen all the time.
½ August 24, 2006
Beautiful storyline.
March 20, 2006
What this movie is telling us is that its ok to treat a person like utter shit, sleep with a siblings boyfriend and have no sence of responsibility. Why is this ok behaivior, because as long as your related its ok and eventually your Grandma and her old dying friends will teach you how to read.
½ December 29, 2010
Two sisters with quite opposite characters, sexy, uneducated party animal Maggie (Cameron Diaz) and the somewhat dull responsible lawyer Rose (Toni Collette), are unwillingly confronted with each other. They learn that they can actually learn something from their deficiencies and combine the strands they have - with help from their grandmother - to improve their lives.
Harlequin68
January 3, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]"In Her Shoes" starts in Philadelphia where Rose(Toni Collette) is an insecure(she mistakenly believes she is fat) attorney living alone and working long hours. The only pleasure she gets is from buying shoes. Late one night, she has to rescue her neer-do-well sister, Maggie(Cameron Diaz), after she passes out drunk at her 10-year high school reunion. This is the last straw for their wicked stepmother(Candice Azzara) who evicts Maggie, leaving Rose to take in her perpetually unemployed sister.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"In Her Shoes" is a pleasant and harmless comedy about how our lives are what we make of them. The movie is short on plot, but strong on characterization. But it does skirt a couple of stereotypes, such as the unhappy working woman without a life, for example.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]Toni Collette is excellent. And Cameron Diaz does manage to keep up with her. Shirley MacLaine gives an admirably restrained performance. But Brooke Smith and Norman Lloyd almost steal the movie out from under them.[/font]
PantaOz
½ August 26, 2011
I missed in 2005 this American comedy-drama in the cinemas because I thought that a film based on the novel of the same name by Jennifer Weiner must be just a brainless chick-flick! Have to say that I was wrong because this really funny movie, directed by Curtis Hanson with an adapted screenplay by Susannah Grant, gave me a chance to enjoy in its variety of situations and superb performances of Cameron Diaz, Toni Collette, and Shirley MacLaine. The film focuses on the relationship between two sisters and their grandmother.

Maggie (Cameron Diaz) and Rose Feller (Toni Collette) are sisters with nothing in common but their shoe size. They were raised by their father Michael (Ken Howard) and always nagging stepmother (Candice Azzara) after their mother died in a car accident. Rose is the eldest and she is a lawyer while Maggie is a free spirit who is unable to hold a steady job (due to her virtual inability to read) and turns to alcohol and men for emotional and financial support. Rose grudgingly allows Maggie to move in with her when their stepmother throws her out of the house. Their already difficult relationship ends, however when Rose catches Maggie in bed with Jim (Richard Burgi), her boyfriend, Maggie subsequently disappears from Rose's life... but: there is more and I'll keep it a secret! Watch it for yourself :-)!

Carino Chocano of the Los Angeles Times described this film as "a curious movie, hovering for upward of two hours between light and dark, truth and fake uplift, menace and mollycoddling." What a nice way to describe it!
Rostron2
½ October 27, 2010
Thanks for Michael C. for inspiring this review, where I tried to find a performance by Cameron Diaz that I actually liked. In Her Shoes is, only on the surface, a film for the ladies, but it gets into some very interesting sister relations scenarios that I've seen between my wife and her siblings, and so the entire movie rings somewhat true. It treads a fine line of being preachy, but never quite topples into that trap.

It has smart dialogue, and will bring to mind family situations in your own experience, and that's a tribute to the writing. While the film goes a little off-track at times, it regains its feet. The smaller, intimate scenes are well rendered, and Cameron Diaz does a creditable job of playing the troubled sister. She's a little over-dramatized, perhaps, and the ending seems a little bit pat, but Diaz and Toni Collette do a good job at their scenes and their complicated lives.

As a guy watching this, I was interested to see how they were going to resolve all the drama that the movie creates. The healing process that is begun is hinted at with the movie, although its far from a completely happy ending. Life is like that, and there are new challenges presented in the film that carry it beyond the usual A+B+C=happy ending. I also liked it because it didn't go overboard with the women's portrayals: None of them are perfect, and none of them are completely right or sympathetic. The women portrayed here are not objects or cardboard cutouts, they live and breathe.

Younger men will not give a whit for this film, unless they have sisters and siblings. It's talky, and some of it is contrived, but in order to bring the film in under 3 hours, you have to make choices as a director and editor. There are scenes that ought to have been given more time, but overall it rings true enough to be worth it.