In Her Skin Reviews

½ August 13, 2012
If it's true that the director claims "the film was made to give Rachel back her voice", I highly doubt that statement. It's more about Caroline than Rachel. And that's fine, but the pretense is offensive (just like a critic pointed out as to disguising the movie out as a true story rather than based on a true story). Apparently, the movie would have been boring had it been only about Rachel's "life", and not focusing on how she met her fate. A chilling story that's not so well told. The performances are okay, and the movie too could have been fine had they tried to tell the story more genuinely than relying more on technical expertise. Overall, just about watchable.
August 30, 2011
A well-acted, and disturbing, biodrama about the murder of an innocent teen by her jealous former baby sitter. Bradley excels as the tormented killer, as does Neill as her despondent and helpless father. I saw some reviews labeling this movie strange, and weird. I absolutely was enthralled with how this movie was portrayed. I found it haunting, and moving...maybe because I have daughters, and it hit home some of my deepest fears....
December 8, 2012
The acting is terrifyingly bad, it's just so hard to watch these morons obviously are not impatient about finding out their daughter's whereabouts. Despite being inspired by a true story, the film is still very uninventive and boring. This low budget thriller proves films based on true stories can be really dull.
DrStrangeblog
½ September 25, 2011
A gradual buildup of dread and punctuated outbursts of explosive rage mark this disturbing true story adaptation from Australia. What distinguishes In Her Skin from other true crime stories is the unusual identity of the perpetrator and the monstrous method in which they carried out their senseless villainy. I think the less you know about the details of this case beforehand, the more emotional impact this movie will have in the moment, so I will not reveal them. Family unit Miranda Otto & Guy Pearce, who plays against type here, project a palpable combination of determination and desperation, while Ruth Bradley delivers an extremely brave & convincing performance. Her self-loathing rant in front of her father is one of the most powerful scenes I have witnessed in a long time.
bamadeb77
June 9, 2011
Weird!!!!! I agree with the critics
½ March 14, 2015
The true story of Rachel Barber's disappearance and murder by her derranged and envious cousin, Caroline.
October 27, 2014
A sad and disturbing true-crime tale from Australia that is so poorly made I guarantee it didn't do any poetic justice for the real family that was involved.
½ June 2, 2013
Little-seen Aussie flick that's actually quite good. Works as both a thriller and a character study of a young woman with mental illness whose parents simply have no clue.
July 12, 2011
What makes this Film so disturbing, is that it is based on a True Story, & that a person so flawed was once the trusted Babysitter that was welcomed into the home & treated like family.Caroline(Ruth Bradley) is a Misfit, Bipolar,Epileptic that hates life & herself.She finds herself Jealous of Rachel(Kate Bell), who had always had grace,support of her loving parents, poise, & beauty as the Young & Talented Dancer she use to babysit,& a friend of the family.Four years after the babysitting, Caroline is even more envious of the Talented Beautiful Teenage Rachel, so she tricks her & murders her in some kind of creepy delusion that she can be her.Very well acted & a chilling story.
October 23, 2011
An enormously underrated film. It's depiction of the real-life Australian crime, dramatic, and sometimes, even disturbing scenes in the flick gives the audience a slice of what has occurred. Gives a drastic twist to the normal, 'missing-person, hot detective gets the case solved' movie. This really would give that good bolt the watcher is highly recommended to see.
½ February 18, 2011
I just watched this movie on pay per view. didn't know it was a true story when I ordered it, just thought it would be the typical missing persons movie. This movie is gruesome with the scenes that they show. I had to actually walk out of the room then just fast forward thru what I've missed. I wanted to see how it ended so I watched it all, but it wasn't that great more sad then anything...the acting wasnt great but wasnt that bad either..over all so-so.. I don't think Caroline should get out in 2013, they should have at least gave her life or close to it. . I am gonna watch a Comedy now..
½ August 23, 2015
I have only just seen this movie (thanks to Netflix) which was really gripping. But I was left wondering how Caroline transported Rachel's body to the farm. The movie omitted this very important detail.
March 10, 2015
Compelling but strained retelling of the tragic murder of an innocent girl by a deeply deranged jealous ex-babysitter. Grim to say the least.
½ February 14, 2015
I don't know that inferiority complex can be so wild !
½ September 1, 2014
This movie plays like a loli snuff hentai video game. Kudos to Ruth Bradley though, she scares the f*** outta me.

I'm a huge Guy Pearce fan and almost everything I've seen him in is in the pink but this one's in the stink.
½ September 18, 2013
I thought this film was utterly disturbing..... many scenes made me uncomfortable and almost sick. How sad and scary. It was good but a few scenes I could have done without....
½ July 30, 2013
great movie. It is amazing what producers and directors can do with a fraction of a Hollywood budget in other countries. They actually produce movies of substance instead of dribble for mass consumption.
½ July 25, 2013
I enjoyed this (if that's possible considering how uncomfortable it made me feel). The acting was solid, the story is true and heartbreaking, but it all felt uneven. There were some really strong parts, but then there were parts that felt incredibly rushed. This could have easily been a 5 star movie if there had been more of a focus on the girl that goes missing.
July 12, 2013
me and my mom seen the movie and we loved it. It is sad watch happened the Rachel she was a pretty young girl with a good life in front of her. I showed my 2 girl the movie so they would know what some people are like now a days.