In the Heat of the Sun (2003)

In the Heat of the Sun

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Movie Info

Based on Wang Shuo's 1991 novella, this Chinese film chronicles the rites-of-passage of a group of adolescent men and includes additional autobiographical anecdotes from writer/director Jiang Wen. The boys live in a military school compound. When not skipping their classes, they are fighting with rival groups and girl watching.

Rating: Unrated

as Liu Sitian
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for In the Heat of the Sun

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

Critic Reviews for In the Heat of the Sun

All Critics (2) | Top Critics (2)

Full Review… | April 4, 2011
Variety
Top Critic

Full Review… | April 4, 2011
Time Out
Top Critic

Audience Reviews for In the Heat of the Sun

A self conscious, postmodern film on growing up during the Cultural Revolution. The story is told from the perspective of a young man too young to be sent to the distant provinces to work and as result live without the supervision of adults. It's fascinating to see the way kids live in such a unique social environment. The closest comparison I can make is The 400 Blows with the thematic sensibilities of Blade Runner. The lead performances are excellent. When I first saw this years ago I made the mistake of turning it off when the credits started to roll and missed that WTF moment at the end. For fans of Chen Kaige's Farewell My Concubine or Zhang Yimou's To Live, this is a unique perspective of this time period. Jiang is a like a missing link between the 5th and 6th Generation.

In the Heat of the Sun Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss In the Heat of the Sun on our Movie forum!