63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

In the Loop Reviews

Spencer S

October 31, 2010
With a great cast of both Brits and Americans, and a stalwart approach to satirical humor, director Armando Ianucci delivers a great politically motivated comedy. Delving into the oft-mined political sphere, as of late, "In the Loop" follows the bungling of an interview by Simon Forster (Holland) and the subsequent worldwide chatter between the US and UK. It also speaks on the subterfuge of being a political animal, and the hand holding that goes into bills, policy, and wartime paranoia. Everyone in this is so hilarious, and over-the-top in the best of ways. Peter Capaldi steals the entire show as Malcolm Tucker, a lewd, cussing, inflammatory politician who strives to keep his career while double crossing everyone in the process. His longwinded rants on the state of politics, and his own role in its demise are both funny and sadly close to reality. James Gandolfini, Anna Chlumsky, Steve Coogan, and Mimi Kennedy also give outstanding performances as players in an intrigue filled game, whether they know it or not.
garyX
garyX

August 24, 2009
The Americans fancy another war, so backroom spin doctor Peter Capaldi sets about making sure that his British ministers tow the party line and take it up the ass in the name of our "special relationship". In The Loop is basically a big screen version of British political satire The Thick Of It, but incredibly it manages to keep the essence of the show no doubt at the cost of any semblance of box office receipts. Incredibly dark and witty, Armando Iannucci and Capaldi have managed to create a character that will become the stuff of comedy legend. His foul mouthed tirades against his quaking subordinates are as hilarious as they are excruciating and uses the kind of creative obscenities that we haven't seen the like of since Withnail & I. It also has the blend of political nightmare combined with absurdity that made it feel like the Dr. Strangelove of our times and has the kind of sharp wit and sophisticated dialogue of Thank You For Smoking. James Gandolfini is also the perfect casting choice as the US general who gives as good as he gets and the cast as a whole are pretty much flawless. The fact that the entire story is told in words rather than explosions and car chases means that 90% of its potential audience will no doubt switch off straight away, but anyone with two braincells to rub together simply must see this. The one drawback is that once the credits roll and the laughter dies away, you get the hollowing feeling that this really IS how wars begin. F-star-star-star-ing genius.
Apeneck F

March 19, 2012
Blazingly fast comic zinger of a film connecting everything from a flower wall in London to a blossoming war in Iraq seen from the offices and bedrooms of middle level politicos and desperate wannabes. Hold on ... its a great ride. Exuberant. Warning! Not for gentle ears! Highly advanced and scatological cursing inside!
Sophie B

October 8, 2011
For me it was far too wordy and I had difficulty understanding what was actually going on. The characters were really good with good actors and there were some mildly funny parts however it didn't really do much for me. It thought it was funnier than what it was and stuck to international stereotypes of the British and American people; but I guess that was the point.
maxthesax
maxthesax

September 28, 2010
An aptly named film if ever there was one, In The Loop not only has the traditional connotation of being on the inside and "in the know", but, as is the nature of dark satire, this film has a much deeper meaning. The loop of the entire political game, where interchangeable parts get replaced, and it's all sound and fury, signifying nothing (as some dude once penned). For all the posturing and backroom deals you pretty much come full circle, back where you started - an endless loop of political hooey.

Filmed in an almost documentary style (a typical Brit feel), this film has many a moment that reminded me of... dare I say it... Dr. Strangelove; both for it's style and it's political acumen.

There is a very intelligent script here, with tons of laugh out loud moments, but eventually, as perhaps an overlong Monty Python skit would do, it folds back on its own absurdity and backs itself into an inconvenient corner where the story finds itself at an impass and is unable to top what has gone on before. Still, the concept of both the hawks and doves leaking a document that both sides radically "rewrote" is hilarious; as is the fallout where all the doves on both sides of the Atlantic decide to resign in protest over the upcoming Iraq war. The irony of course is that the new politicos enter the arena and the dance begins all over again.

I found the cast to be remarkably well versed, from the spitting epiteph spewing Scott manager to a Nancy Pelosi clone on the other side of the pond. Also throw in a fine performance by Gandolfini as perhaps the only voice of reason - a general who is against the war, but then turns on his dove compatriats and DOESN'T quit - arguing that since a war is now inevitable he is needed to lead his troups - answering the call as any true soldier would.
Dean !

March 20, 2010
It's ok quite funny, a good script with witty lines. One more for the English sense of humour I thought. Only problem that the main story between the characters is a bit boring and slow. Plenty of good one liners, who would be a politician hey!
Pierluigi P

February 9, 2010
Biting satire about the people working for government, the clueless, the clumsy, the resourceful, the ass kisser, the hateful, they're all here with their cards on the table trying to decide whether or not their country should go to war just for the sake of it. Peter Capaldi's colourful way of adressing everyone and his derogatory nicknames taken from movies are a riot.
Dan S

August 17, 2010
A solid, although quite overpraised satire concerning the bumbling idiots in politics and how one in particular raises suspicion concerning a potential war in the Middle East. What makes this movie worthwhile is its uniformly excellent performances and a fascinatingly cynical take on how politicians are nothing but fools. What keeps this movie from achieving greatness is its tendency to leave the audience behind in the dust, as it sprints ahead with its insanely high-power dialogue that doesn't slow down for an instant. The detached feeling this film has works wonders in the sense that it feels extremely realistic and that you're just a "fly on the wall" watching these people, but in the end you don't really care what happens to anybody and the whole viewing experience "leaves you" sort of quickly.
Jay H

July 30, 2010
Perhaps not the most well-acted film of all time, but the script is absolutely top-notch. This film is absolutely hilarious.
Saskia D

July 25, 2010
It did provoke some hysterical laughs on my side, but I couldn't move past the fact that the movie was boooring.
Daniel P

February 2, 2010
I watched this movie with a political staffer, which I think helped. Ours is not to reason why: ours is to do as we're told... and when there's no proof or intelligence? Well, invent some! Loads of creative and foul insults in this parody of a high-pressure drama that's, in a way, itself a high-pressure drama, but full of laughs thanks to some work by Malcolm Tucker et al. Kind of like the West Wing meets The Office, in triple episode. Great stuff.
TomBowler
TomBowler

June 22, 2010
Cracking pace and great script. Malcolm Tucker scares me. Full review later.
Carlos M

June 16, 2010
A funny political satire, with countless witty dialogues filled with that deliciously clever, refined British sense of humor, and Peter Capaldi is priceless here, stealing the show every time he shows up, hilarious, swearing insanely and shouting the f-word to everyone.
Ross C

February 5, 2009
For a comedy it's frustratingly slow as they adopted the ultra-realist style of The Office, which for a political drama makes it as a dull and brain dead as watching real politicians. However, if you can bare to stick with it there are, eventually, a few good lines...
Stephen M

August 16, 2009
"This is the problem with civilians wanting to go to war. Once you been there, once you've seen it, you never want to go again unless you absolutely fucking have to - it's like France"

When the British government's Minister for International Development makes a vaguely antiwar statement in a radio interview, the spin-doctor tasked with smoothing the path toward an Anglo-American invasion in the Middle East tries to get him to toe the party line. Meanwhile in leafy Northamptonshire, a garden wall needs urgent attention... What the hell is wrong with BAFTA? How was In the Loop, a British movie with balls, a British movie to be proud of, not nominated for Best Film? Outstanding British Film? Which it didn't even win!!! What kind of a pointless category is that? If a British film is so outstanding, which this one certainly is, it should be able to compete on equal terms with what the rest of the world has to offer. Presumably this is just a runner-up prize, dreamed up to keep a little silverware in this country after the real awards have gone to whichever Hollywood productions have been lobbying the hardest. Even more scandalous, how was Peter Capaldi not nominated for his astonishing performance as spin-doctor Malcolm Tucker? I can only surmise that BAFTA, torn between short-listing him for Best Leading Actor or Best Supporting Actor, decided the easiest solution would be to nominate him for neither.
rubystevens
rubystevens

August 29, 2009
political farce about the run-up to the iraq war; very funny and a little bit frightening as it's probably not too far from the truth. wonderful comic performance by peter capaldi. cheers for not dumbing it down too much for us slow americans...altho i believe it still sank like a stone here...hmm
Anthony L

March 9, 2010
Peter Capaldi's Malcolm Tucker is one of the greatest characters ever performed. For once, a big screen version of a popular TV series actually works but then Armando Iannucci has been and still is probably the most underrated writer in England - one of the best in the world even. I haven't laughed so much in years and I can't recommend this film enough, it's brilliant stuff! Not bad going as I really though it would be the end of the concept after the whole Chris Langham incident!
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

July 22, 2009
Peter Capaldi, Tom Hollander, James Gandolfini, Mimi Kennedy, Anna Chlumsky, Gina McKee, Chris Addison, Enzo Cilenti, Paul Higgins, James Smith, David Rasche, Olivia Poulet

DIRECTED BY: Armando Iannucci

The US President and UK Prime Minister fancy a war. But not everyone agrees that war is a good thing. The US General Miller doesn't think so and neither does the British Secretary of State for International Development, Simon Foster. But, after Simon accidentally backs military action on TV, he suddenly has a lot of friends in Washington, DC. If Simon can get in with the right DC people, if his entourage of one can sleep with the right intern, and if they can both stop the Prime Minister's chief spin-doctor Malcolm Tucker rigging the vote at the UN, they can halt the war. If they don't... well, they can always fire their Director of Communications Judy, who they never liked anyway and who's back home dealing with voters with blocked drains and a man who's angry about a collapsing wall.

I thought this political movie is one of the funniest movie's I have seen in quite some time. It's got great British humor which I love. I have been watching a lot of British films lately and I like the lingo. I was really happy to see the 'My Girl' actress Anna Chlumsky in this film. Haven't seen her doing anything since those films. She was great. But the star's in this film for me was Peter Capoldi and James Gandolfini. The conversation they had, had me in tears with laughter. Great stuff. I pasted it below. If you don't like political movie's (which are most of us) then just see this for a laugh. It's really entertaining and the characters are great.

Malcolm Tucker: General Flintstone... Was it you? Did you leak PWIP-PIP?
Lt. Gen. George Miller: No, I didn't leak it. I'm not like some little gay mercenary running around doing other people's dirty work.
Malcolm Tucker: Hey, I'm doing my own dirty work. I'm doing my job.
Lt. Gen. George Miller: I think you're doing Linton's dirty work. You're his little English bitch and you don't even know it. Bet if I came to your hotel room tonight, I'd find you down on all fours, him hanging out the back of you.
Malcolm Tucker: Oh, that's nice. That's really tough talk coming from the Armchair General. Put your feet up on a pouffe and go back to sleep, why don't you.
Lt. Gen. George Miller: Look, Tucker, you might be some scary little poodlefucker over in England, but out here you're nothing. You know what you look like? A squeezed dick. You got a big blue vein running up your head all the way to the temple. See, that's where I'd put the bullet. Only I'd have to stand back 'cause you look like a squirter.
Malcolm Tucker: Have you ever even actually killed anybody? Really?
Lt. Gen. George Miller: Yeah.
Malcolm Tucker: Falling asleep on someone, that doesn't count!
Lt. Gen. George Miller: That's funny. What about you, pussy drip? Ever kill anyone?
Malcolm Tucker: Maiming's what I prefer. Psychologically.
Lt. Gen. George Miller: Yeah? Why don't you try to maim me? I'll hit you so hard in the face you'll be shitting teeth.
Malcolm Tucker: Go right ahead. I can see the headlines now. "Peace-Loving General Starts Brawl in U.N., Swiss Intervene". I don't know, I'm no expert on spin but that could hurt your career.
Lt. Gen. George Miller: Yeah?
Malcolm Tucker: Right. Do excuse me, I've got to get back to work.
[pause]
Malcolm Tucker: Don't ever call me fucking English again.
DerekA101
DerekA101

February 22, 2010
A quick-witted, supersonic paced political satire about fictitious events leading up to the 2003 Iraq War. This British comedy resembles the show "The Thick of It" which stars many of the same characters. In the Loop is a movie entirely invested in its semantics. Ignoring anything to do with character development or even simple narration which makes the overall concept utterly confusing. The dialog, however, is rich and entertaining. It's foul and vulgar in every way, while never losing its comedic edge. In that sense, it's a gem. If this film were broken down into a collection of "shorts" I might've perceived it a little better. But as it stands, the quick wit begins to run dry towards the end. It all becomes a little forced and boring. Some characters I thoroughly enjoyed (namely Peter Capaldi), and other characters seemed pointless in their laughable attempts to be funny.When this movie is good, it's good... unfortunately that wasn't too often. It is, however, a helluva source for some funny quotes.
Tim S

February 24, 2010
I think this is for sure the best writing I have heard all year. I really wish they wouldn't have filmed the entire movie like an episode of The Office though because it takes away from it being taken seriously. All of the actors do an amazing job in their respective roles with Gandolfini, David Rasche (great to see Sledge Hammer having this kind of revival), and a nice visit from Steve Coogan which had me rolling. Peter Capaldi curses better than anyone and Tom Hollander provides a great dumb politician role that is funny and scary at the same time. The biggest surprise was seeing Anna My Girl Clumsky all grown up and hot as hell. Again, the camerawork takes it out of being a really amazing movie, but the writing makes it better than most things I have seen this year.