• R, 1 hr. 34 min.

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

In the Mouth of Madness Reviews

April 13, 2014
It's great if you are into that thriller/horror stuff. Unfortunately I'm not
November 23, 2013
Let them say what they will, its one of my favorite ever.
Movie Maniac Martinez
February 16, 2014
pretty much carpenter at his best!! loved this movie
January 26, 2014
This is probably my favorite horror movie. Blasphemy, I know, but this has everything that I want: the pacing is off-putting, the Big Bad gets an explanation (though that's only been a problem in more recent years), awesome practical special effects, part of a Carpenters song, Happy Gilmore's grandmother... It's got everything!
The only thing I don't care for is the woman. She's poorly written, so I can't really criticize her performance.
Also, the theme is one of the best songs written for a movie ever (with the obvious exception of Ninja Rap from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze).
March 7, 2009
Una historia salida solo de la mente del maestro John Carpenter, de lo mejor de su filmografģa.
March 16, 2013
This was horrible! My co-worker said this was the scariest movie he has ever scene, but that was total BS.
Francisco  G.
Francisco G.

October 16, 2013
Part supernatural thriller, part dark humorous tale, part surrealistic trip, all Lovecraft rip-off. It's fun and interesting while it lasts but it's tonal inconsistencies and unintentionally funny moments kinda ruin the experience a bit. It also looks very dated for a 1995 movie but the story is interesting while it lasts, holding some nice surprises until the end.
August 5, 2007
"Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?"
January 29, 2013
I used to think that They Live was Carpenter's last great film. It's not.
September 30, 2013
A late night watch indeed, but lacking some but having most! A must for John Carpenter fans and horror buffs!
November 15, 2013
gut durchdachter horrorfilm der auch nach solanger zeit immer wieder spass macht
November 14, 2013
Kind of scatterbrained and led by two characters I had a hard time caring about, but the unraveling mystery is cool and Carpenter keeps things creepy, slimey, and insane.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

November 14, 2013
An insurance investigator investigates the disappearance of a bestselling horror novelist whose books have the power to drive men mad. The pioneering meta-horror premise compensates for an ordinary execution.
November 1, 2013
Pretty interesting flick. 7/10. But what I don't understand is why they kept mentioning the author Steven King. They named our author Sutter Cane, because it sounds enough like Steven King for us to relate to that name, but why then mention the name Steven King. Either the original screen-play writer didn't know why he named his author Sutter Cane, or this script was tampered with by some idiot, who thinks we're all idiots, down the road.
October 31, 2013
It's a good film with many moments of brilliance (especially in the first half) but it's hurt by a rather listless impetus that leaves it drifting for far too long. Still one of Carpenter's better works, helped greatly by a performance by Sam Neil as a rather unsympathetic protagonist.
October 28, 2013
In the Mouth of Madness is an awesome horror flick and in my opinion one of John Carpenter's best films. It not only scares, but makes you think as well on reality, religion, and the power of belief.
October 25, 2013
Couldn't ask for more. What I want from a horror movie and more!
October 11, 2007
"I am not a piece of fiction!" The last great film of John Carpenter, In The Mouth of Madness manages to be an essential experience for fans of HP Lovecraft without actually adapting that horror icon's work. Sam Neil is John Trent, an insurance investigator brought in by Bernie Casey to debunk Charlton Heston's claim of a missing million dollar literary institution, Sutter Cane. Think Stephen King, but better selling and actually infectious. Neil & editor Julie Carmen track the author's god complex to the sleepy New Hampshire town of Hobb's End where they encounter dog butchering children, tentacled motel clerks, and your basic army of unspeakable evil. The mid nineties were an abominable time for horror fans, but somehow the genre master managed to crank out one last great hurrah with Madness. Kudos to Carpenter, but I think Sam Neil must take most of the credit for his exceptional portrayal of a crumbling reality. Has there ever been a nastier, more bent explosion of laughter than the gut buster seen here at the climax? I think not. VF.
October 26, 2010
bored me..id need to watch it again some day
October 14, 2013
Top of the line atmospheric horror with some violent moments. The end creatures are sad but the movie is a great Lovecration style film, capturing the Ole' Gent better than several direct adaptations.