In the Mouth of Madness Reviews

April 15, 2015
I genuinely liked it. Very supernatural and suspenseful with plenty of crazies. Made well with some eerie points and a satisfying ending.
June 9, 2007
A sinister horror writer who becomes God. Already off to a good start! The storyline is nice & twisted, with plenty of insanity to go around. I love how it plays with fiction vs. reality. Neill and Prochnow are amazing...and the ambiance kicks ass. This one will make you go absolutely...mad.
April 27, 2014
Balls out horror. Could be Carpenters best movie?????
½ March 7, 2015
In the Mouth of Madness is considered by many, including myself, to be the last film that John Carpenter ever made that has complete merit and is worth re-watching. The film tells the story of an insurance investigator named John Trent, who was hired to find the whereabouts of successful horror author Sutter Cane, whose books seem to have readers a lot more hooked into them than most people realize. Eventually, Trent goes insane and he recalls his tale to a psychiatrist. For the most part, the film certainly has elements of Carpenter's wit and imagination. It has a lot more baked into it than even I realized when I first saw it. The performances are all good and there are some genuinely unnerving moments in the film, particularly once Trent enters Cane's world. It has some structure problems, but overall, it's an effective film, and one that I feel John Carpenter could make again if he put his mind to it a bit more.
February 21, 2015
Great concept, it got a little convoluted at the end but overall good film.
½ February 18, 2015
This is not reality.

A horror writer has gone missing and his publisher has reached out to an insurance private investigator, John Trent, in hopes of discovering what happened to the writer. The writer has a cult following of sorts that places his work on par with religion. Can the investigator sort through the mystique of the writer and discover what happened to him?

"When does fiction become religion?"

John Carpenter, director of Halloween, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China, Vampires, Escape from LA, Escape from New York, They Live, The Fog, and Christine, delivers In the Mouth of Madness. The storyline for this picture is interesting but a bit disappointing and ends in an unfulfilling manner. The acting is solid and the cast includes Sam Neill, John Glover, Peter Jason, Frances Bay, David Warner, and Jurgen Prochnow.

"I know what I am."

I remembered seeing this in theatres as a kid, and again on cable, and never really liking this film. I watched this again off HBOGO and was still as disappointed as the first time I watched it. This is very average, much like Carpenter's Village of the Damned. This is really only worth viewing if you're a horror genre junkie; and even then, it's borderline.

"He sees you."

Grade: C
January 20, 2015
Una historia salida solo de la mente del maestro John Carpenter, de lo mejor de su filmografìa.
January 19, 2015
Far too silly to be taken seriously, but for one of Carpenter's lesser works it does stand up pretty respectably
December 26, 2014
very weird but in a good way
December 30, 2006
Gave this one another look via DVD awhile back and it hold up really well, packing the same punches in the jump-scares that first startled me when I saw it in theaters during the original run.

Well worth a re-visit.

Recommended.
October 14, 2012
Now this is your complete John Carpenter experience right here, the perfect type of film for his crazy ass imagination. Everything Carpenter made prior to this has elements all rolled in resulting in classic Carpenter horror mixed with body shock mutations.

The plot is creepy as it is surreal. Sam Neill is hired to find a missing horror writer in a small sleepy leafy US town, boy does Carpenter love small US towns. He must find Sutter Cane and retrieve his final novel for publishing. Sounds simple eh? well think again.

When I first saw this film it creeped me out a lot, these days it doesn't have the same kind of punch but its still solid. Carpenter goes into overdrive here with lots of trademark icky effects and monsters, most of which look like ideas from 'The Thing'. As usual effects are created with models and puppets which do now look a bit hokey but plenty of makeup and prosthetics and good use of suggestion.

The whole film is extremely surreal and plays out like a nightmare, in fact the whole point is you don't know if it is a nightmare or reality. Pretty much anything goes really as Sam Neill goes nuts trying to get out of Hobb's End and destroy the final evil horror manuscript. This surrealist approach does work and offers up plenty of weirdness which does equal some nice eerie moments, the ghostly boy cycling along the dark deserted highway at night being a good one.

The start of the film is definitely better than the second half and ending. The film is much more creepy as Neill and his female sidekick leave for and arrive at Hobb's End. After Neill gets what he needs and we return to reality the film slightly loses its mysterious spooky essence, the final sequence is an interesting twist to make you think.

Basically a descent into madness for Neill's character, but we're not even sure if he is a real person or not, could it all be part of the horror novel itself?. Its left to your own thoughts really which is cool but annoying also, I like to know what happens period.

If your a Carpenter fan then this will appeal with tentacled monster puppetry, creepy kids running about, satanic references and all set within a Michael Myers type American pie town. Just don't expect too many final answers regarding characters and plot.
½ November 1, 2014
Having re-watched this one for the first time in many years it doesn't stand the test of time. Low on plot, scares, and suspense.
October 30, 2014
An insurance investigator relates the story of his decent into madness while searching for a very popular horror author (Sutter Cane) who's gone missing. He travels to a fictional town in New Hampshire with the beautiful Julie Carmen as he is going crazier and crazier. A lot of Lovecraftian symbolism, a few Stephen King references, and both Jürgen Prochnow and Charlton Heston in a supporting role help to add some degree of watch-ability in this mostly incoherent John Carpenter doomsday film.
May 25, 2011
Probably John Carpenter's last great horror movie and probably the only HP Lovecraft inspired movie that is in the conversation with Re-Animator and From Beyond. Creepy imagery and a plot that moves along nicely. Recommended for John Carpenter fans and Lovecraft fans.
October 22, 2014
The script goes through the motion a few times but the movie retains the overall Lovecraft feel that Carpenter was striving for, which certainly helped thanks to Carpenter's vision of freaks and monstrous abominations which were brought forward from The Thing, while Sam Neill acts like a crazy person somewhere in the background with a bucket of popcorn in his hand.

In the Mouth of Madness is, quite frankly, John Carpenter's last great movie.
September 22, 2014
One of my favorite horror movies of all time. John Carpenter does a superb job keeping you on the edge of your seat from the first to the final frame.
September 3, 2014
This is one of my favorite horror movies, the first time freaked me out. If you rated this low, I would have to question your intelligence, insanity or ability to scare.
March 25, 2014
John Carpenter knew how to create a creepy and scary atmosphere, even if the script isn't entirely focused. That is the only real issue with "In the Mouth of Madness", it is a simple how movie with a creepy atmosphere, good imagery, and a good lead, but the script never really nails it, it feels a little bit all over the place, which is odd since it is a fairly simple and straightforward story. I give this movie points for at least having some genuine scares. The guy on the bike is creepy as hell and genuinely weirded me out. Decent if you want a horror movie, but the script leaves a little to be desired.
June 21, 2014
I used to think that They Live was Carpenter's last great film. This movie proved otherwise.
½ June 14, 2014
The only reason I'm not giving this movie a half star rating is because of the ambition and ideas at play in the story. Carpenter's film is sluggish, silly and surrealism for dummies. And, Julie Carmen gives a truly bad performance which is all the more noticeable because the other actors involved manage to do good work. And, the musical score to this film is just terrible.