In the Shadow of the Stars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

In the Shadow of the Stars Reviews

March 14, 2012
This is a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the varieties of personalities who comprise the San Francisco Opera chorus. We see their commitment, their passion, and their frustrations. Some of their on-camera confessions are brutal. Others are poignant. The opera production photography is magnificent and we do come away with a better understanding of the lives of members of the chorus--- who are indeed "In the Shadow of the Stars." The one film which outshines this one is a documentary about the Metropolitan Opera annual auditions (sorry I can't recall the name of the film). Both films together make a truly rounded presentation of the backstage life of an opera comapny. Remembering that this film was made over a decade ago, many of those featured have moved on or passed away, but certainly the companies and choruses work the same way.
November 5, 2011
March 28, 2011
Well-done, Oscar-winning documentary focusing on the back-up singers/actors in the San Francisco Opera. I'm not really into opera, but their stories and struggles are universal.
November 9, 2008
An intersting behind the scenes look at an opera company and how chorus singers view their role in the opera as minor players.
March 14, 2012
November 5, 2011
March 28, 2011
January 30, 2011
'91 Academy Award Best Documentary
½ April 8, 2009
parts were better than the whole. but interesting.
November 9, 2008
March 30, 2008
Excellent! This is a great look into the life of an opera house chorister. Won the 1991 Academy Award for Best Documentary too!
½ September 22, 2006
This movie had potential, but fell through the cracks. To bad.