• PG-13, 1 hr. 32 min.

December 5, 2009
Eh, I expected more.
jam233
December 5, 2009
Not bad for a TV made movie. Good performances all around, and Salma Hayek clearly had a passion for her role, as she did in Frida. Nicely produced. Moving and at times disturbing. Good costumes.
xAmericanPsychox
February 11, 2009
This was a very touching movie. I really like it and recommend it to people who like watching historical changes.
September 21, 2008
This is a true story of living under a dictatorship in the Dominican Republic. The dictator was eventually assassinated
arellano1091
November 7, 2007
aweosme really inteesting educational in wars and times back then i really recommens it to girls it has a love story and a tragical death
FriendlySmile
July 4, 2007
Movie about how group of sister promotes freedom of their country, Dominican Republic, but they must pay the price of dead.
July 1, 2007
This movie is about part of my family in the Dominican Republic.

My uncle (my mom's oldest borther ), Manolo Tavarez Justo was Minerva Mirabal's husband.

In the movie, my uncle Manolo is played by Demian Bichir. Salma Hayek plays the role of Minerva Mirabal.
bubblefree01
June 6, 2007
The story behind this very sad,I hope this film inspires others when it comes to violence against women. I sure do hope someone would remake this movie and give it some justice.
March 15, 2007
Not the best filming, but a great eye opener to the story of the butterflies in Santo Domingo. The 3 sisters brutally murdered by the Dictator General Trujillo.
Guillem F.
June 15, 2014
Guillem Fontanils
Eal
Ms.Cevoli
30/5/14

Movie Review

"In Time of the Butterflies" is a fascinating historical movie directed by Mariano Barroso. This is a screen adaptation of the novel of the same title by Julia Alvarez. The reason why the movie is called "In Time of the Butterflies", is because it tells the story of the three Mirabal sisters who were also known as the Butterflies. They fought against the massive powerful dictatorship of Trujillo. By watching only a glimpse of this movie, your eyes will soon fill with tears. Personally, its a wonderful movie in spite of the downcast scenes that occur throughout the film.
The movie was set in 1931-1960 when the Dominican Republic was ruled by the dictator Trujillo. The big Mirabal family owned huge areas of farming land and were in tight with Trujillo's regime and rich political members of the Dominican Republic. The Mirabal family were raised in a farm. Furthermore, the family was invited to Trujillo´s palace to participate in a glamourous party containing privileged people. The three sisters called Minerva, Patria and Maria Teresa Mirabal were part of the invitation. Minerva, who was the most attractive girl, was propositioned to dance with the cruel dictator, Trujillo. Due to Trujillo inappropriately acting while they were dancing, Minerva slapped him across the face which led to the family suffering terrible consequences.
The main character, Minerva is played by the Mexican actress Salma Hayek. She played this role perfectly. She was convincing as a young troubled girl and made you believe that you were seeing the real Minerva. Hayek's acting was so good that you understood how Minerva felt throughout the movie. Her bravery and courage were shown very clearly. Trujillo, another main character was played by the Mexican American actor, Edward James Olmos. His acting made me believe that he was the cruel and vicious dictator that existed forty years ago.
I thought that the film was extremely authentic. The settings of a jail and a sugar field made you believe that you were watching life in the Dominican Republic. You could feel the heat and the fear in these spectacular scenes. I very much liked that the film also gave a historical perspective on the characters that you were watching. You could see them working, crying, and struggling throughout their lives and this allowed you to feel the pain and sadness of the characters.
From watching this film I learnt about governments acting badly. By seeing what Trujillo did to a young girl I saw how evil, severe and strict dictators can be. One of themes of the film is resistance. The three sisters resisted the power of Trujillo and this small resistance helped stop the Trujillo government.
The film has a rating of PG which means Parental Guidance. Personally I think young children could watch this film, however they need an understanding of the historical situation in the Dominican Republic. Perhaps students of history or people who live near the country would be very interested in this film. This movie is spectacular. It excellently shows the Dominican Republic in a very important time of its history.
Grade: A-
antonio p.
June 9, 2014
TITLE: ?In time of the butterflies?

In our EAL class, we watched a movie called ?In the time of the butterflies? directed by Mariano Barroso. This movie was an adaptation of the the novel by Julia Alvarez and was based on a true story. The conflict in the story was about a woman against the society. The protagonist, Minerva Mirabal, was a wealthy girl who lived in the Dominican Republic with her family during the regime of ?El General Trujillo.? This film combines nostalgic, tragic, and sad feelings. Not everyone can imagine what it is like to live in a dictatorship.

The movie takes place in the Dominican Republic during 1960?s.There were three sisters called ?the butterflies? who experienced the tragedy. The sisters were against the ruler of the country ?Trujillo? who was the dictator. They wanted the Dominican Republic to be free. Trujillo fell in love with the Minerva. She and her family were invited by Trujillo to go to dance in the grand palace in Santo Domingo. At that dance, everything started to go bad. General trujillo abused Minerva and she slapped him in his face. After the dance he continued threatening Minerva and her family.

Minerva Mirabal was played by an actress named Salma Hayek. I think that she did a good job in her interpretation. She made the viewer believe and feel the emotions of Minerva. Another good actor was Edward James Olmos who played ?El General Trujillo?. He did a great job because he made you hate him. Based on the appearance of the actors you felt like they were the original characters.

The details made the movie more realistic. For example, when Minerva was wearing a little pin on her coat in the shape of a butterfly. This pin represented the three sisters who were called ?The Butterflies? . Another example was the realistic scene of the jail where Trujillo kept the sisters. The details of the conditions of the jail and how they tortured Minerva?s husband. The final scene was very violent and had a big impact. In fact, I'd like this movie for the realistic scenes.

One lesson in this movie was the importance of defending your rights freedom and to be brave. Minerva?s family did not stop fighting for their liberty. Even though Trujillo was threatening them, they were brave and they continued to believe in their rights. Another important lesson was how you have to follow your dreams.

This movie is good for people who like history and to learn things about other countries.The rating of the movie is PG-13. I would recommend it to people ages 13 and older because there are violent scenes. In conclusion I think that this move is a very good adaptation and I really liked it.
The score of this movie is 4/5

Antonio Prieto, a 7th grade student from the school Benjamin Franklin International School, living in Barcelona, Spain.
Adam M.
June 9, 2014
TITLE: ?In The Time Of The Butterflies?

?In The Time Of The Butterflies? is a historical movie adapted from a novel by Julia Alvarez. The movie was directed by Mariano Barroso and it stars Salma Hayek. In English class we read the book ?Before We Were Free? by Julia Alvarez and then we saw the movie ?In The Time Of The Butterflies?. They are both set in the Dominican Republic during Trujillo?s dictatorship. It?s a movie suitable for anyone over the age of 12 because it contains some violence and it?s an unhappy movie. This movie is a screen adaptation of the book ?In The Time Of The Butterflies? which was written also by Julia Alvarez.
The movie is about the Mirabal Sisters, also known as the butterflies, living in Trujillo?s dictatorship. It takes place in the 1930?s to 1960?s. The main characters are Minerva (Salma Hayek), Trujillo (Edward James Olmos), Mate (Mía Maestro), Manolo (Demian Bichir), Patria (Lumi Cavazos), and Lio (Marc Anthony). Minerva, Patria and Mate are the Mirabal sisters, the butterflies. Lio is a friend of the butterflies and Manolo is Minerva?s husband. Trujillo is the dictator in the Dominican Republic and he kills anyone who opposes him. The butterflies fight against Trujillo?s regime and the family gets in trouble. In the subplot, Trujillo wanted to have a relationship with Minerva but she refuses him which has terrible consequences for the whole family.
In my opinion, the actors acted very well and the movie was well-directed. There weren?t any big problems. I think that everyone knew what they had to do and they studied their script.
Most of the scenes from the opening till the final credits were very exciting. However, I didn?t like the middle part because they talked all the time and it made the plot move along slowly. But in general, many people would like it because it?s something that happened in real life.
The lesson learned is that when you want something bad enough you need to fight for it but you may have to pay the consequences. That?s a lesson that today everyone can use and learn.
If you like historical movies, you would like ?In The Time Of The Butterflies? because it?s very exciting and incredible. I recommend this movie to teenagers or adults with a strong heart because the movie is sad and many tragic things happen. However, I wouldn?t recommend it to people who cry in sad movies because ?In The Time Of The Butterflies? is a sad movie. For that reason, people with weak heart would cry or would feel sad. This movie is PG-12 because little kids would cry and they wouldn?t understand the plot and the main scenes. When I was watching the movie I was impressed and when it ended I wanted to watch it another time. I think a 90% of the people would like the movie.
I give this movie a 9 of 10 because it was really enjoyable and exciting. The thing that made the movie worse was the middle part that it was too slow. In conclusion, I gave so many points to the movie because I enjoyed it very much and I couldn?t take my eyes of the screen. I am really excited of watching the movie another time!
Adam Mitrani was born in Barcelona in 2001 and he is a 7th grade student in BFIS in Barcelona, Spain
June 22, 2013
The book wasn't even that good, what makes you think the movie will?
Ava R.
October 28, 2011
I felt it was poorly fictionalized version of a great real-life story.

However, it did attempt and even that attempt didnlt totally fail. It needed more romance, less cliche and more explosions.

Salma Hayek was pretty enough but not perfect in the lead role, everything just felt too plastic and the film avoided the hot topics and the sex and the danger that SHOULD have been at the very center of the story.
moviebuff18cab
July 19, 2010
IN THE TIME OF THE BUTTERFLIES (2000)
Face of Canada
February 10, 2011
There's nothing particularly wrong with In The Time Of The Butterflies, as it's technically sound. The dialogue is stilited, however, though again there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the method. It simply feels like there could have been much more to it, more intensity, especially considering its subject matter.
EZRAS HUGE REVIEWS
July 19, 2010
I DIDN'T LIKE THIS MOVIE. I GIVE IN THE TIME OF THE BUTTERFLIES * 1/2.
jazza923