Critic Review - Globe and Mail

Pretty good, not bad, but brilliant it surely ain't.

July 16, 2010 Full Review Source: Globe and Mail | Comments (43)
Globe and Mail
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

dodgerblue

Phil McGroin

It's OK to admit it was over your head...

Jul 16 - 10:39 AM

TomatoHunter

P J

Its ok for you to think its fantastic, when it really isn't to intelligent people.

Aug 28 - 10:03 AM

Charlie Cobb

Charlie Cobb

the more intelligent you are the better the movie was so in essence if you dont think it was fantastic then you are the one who lacks the intelligence

Dec 31 - 10:50 AM

Ryan Wilson

Ryan Wilson

lol shut the fuck up. just because you understood a movie doesn't mean your intelligent

Jul 19 - 02:58 AM

TomatoHunter

P J

Aug 28 - 10:04 AM

Alex L.

Alex Lavoie

I guess Rick you are someone not familiar with the concept of dreams, and I bet you dont remember them at morning.

Jul 16 - 10:43 AM

dodgerblue

Phil McGroin

he only remembers the bad ones about that summer when he was forced to live with his uncle

Jul 16 - 10:53 AM

Mark W.

Mark Willson

Ugghh...that made me groen.

Jul 16 - 01:41 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

What's a "groen"?

Jul 16 - 01:52 PM

Jessica S.

Jessica Swartz

Zing!

Jul 16 - 01:59 PM

mrongey

Matthew Rongey

Just because words like ain't are now in the dictionary doesn't mean that you don't still sound like an idiot when you use them.

Jul 16 - 12:15 PM

David P.

David Park

Yo this ahole knows nothing. I saw Inception twice and the movie was the best picture I have ever seen. Original plot, great acting, dialogue, action-what more do u need? People in my theater stood and cheered and applauded.

Jul 16 - 12:21 PM

Barry V

John Hughes

What retarded theater were you at? The movie was terrific, but when you lie you ruin your argument. Get a grip tool.

Dec 12 - 03:17 PM

Charlie Cobb

Charlie Cobb

they claped at the theater i was at also so you might need to stop sucking cock

Dec 31 - 10:44 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

Ignore all the studio plants in this thread, Rick. I will go into this film open minded. I wouldn't call any of Nolan's films "brilliant", personally. Pretty good, not bad pretty much sums him up.

Jul 16 - 12:59 PM

Gerald Mohr

gerald Mohr

That's how I feel about your trolls, w@ve.

Jul 16 - 01:46 PM

D34DGh0sT

Dudley Heffington

lol the prestige, memento, and the dark knight are all 'brilliant' pictures... following is also amazing for its budget and batman begins was an excellent reboot. i have yet to see his remake of insomnia but judging by it's RT score i'm pretty sure it's amazing

Jul 16 - 06:27 PM

m w.

m w

Putting scare quotes around "brilliant" (which means people say it is but it probably isn't) is a pretty good description of "The Dark Knight".

If i've seen a more over-rated film in the last few years, i can't think what it was.

Jul 16 - 10:48 PM

Adam M.

Adam Mata

If this movie or The Dark Knight isn't brilliant, do you mind sharing which movie is brilliant so the rest of us aren't left out of the loop?

All of thought we knew what a brilliant movie was the moment we saw one but I guess we just don't know any better... please enlighten us

Jul 18 - 12:36 AM

zombieM

Jonnhy Mendoza

pleas m.w I want to know too...

Jul 19 - 08:45 PM

Chris N.

Chris Nolan

Yes, our opinion is wrong and yours is right. I'd like to know what movies you consider "brilliant."

Jul 18 - 11:53 AM

Thysus

Matt Harris

A great many things go over your head Rick, and that is certainly the case here. A paper of The Globe and Mail's stature deserves better film critics than it has.

Jul 16 - 03:51 PM

pandas u.

pandas united

haha not brilliant? obviously went way over your head budddy... this film was pure genius

Jul 16 - 04:37 PM

Holtol Moltolderzweite

Holtol Moltolderzweite

Well, if brilliant means to most people having one simple idea and stretching it to 2.5 hours, this film is brilliant.

Nov 14 - 11:58 PM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

You surely are brilliant too. Damn, people like you make English rethoric sound so stupid.

Sep 25 - 01:57 PM

zombieM

Jonnhy Mendoza

"surely ain't." wtf?!

Jul 19 - 08:42 PM

sky f.

sky fenton

This movie was not brilliant. It got a really cool pseudo scientific premise and added a lot of well crafted but often unnecessary gimmicks to the well crafted story line. It was a caper movie that focused on the main character, which was good.

Not bad.

But not brilliant. It did have some philosophical ideas being tossed out such as the nature of reality as well as ideas about God, but those only peaked through cracks occasionally. It was dumbed down.

Also, that's not how dreams work. At all. I know, I know, it's a movie. But they sold it as the truth for a large unsuspecting audience. Being John Malkovich had a more believable premise, because it was actually unbelievable. This movie was built on the assumption that people don't know how brains work.

So, in summation, I enjoyed what was done with the premise and the movie as a whole, but it is well on it's way to becoming super overrated.

Jul 20 - 11:01 AM

Patrick M.

Patrick Maney

I gotta say Sky, I sure believe you when you tell me that you know how the brain works. I mean you not only gave me credentials but you also even explained how the brain works in that paragraph. Kudos.

Jul 22 - 12:20 AM

Patrick M.

Patrick Maney

Jul 22 - 12:22 AM

Tinseltine

Le Anne Lindsay

Although I wouldn't classify the film as completely sci-fi, sci-fi addicts will appreciate the parameters placed upon the dream world - the dream architect;whose having the dream; what the other shared dreamers sub-conscience brings to the dream; the difference between what happens if you die in a dream and if you die in a dream within in a dream. If you can't get excited by the idea of creating rules and laws that don't apply in reality, then you just don't get the movie.

Jul 24 - 10:15 PM

LachrymoseQQ

D Johnson

Funny that anyone who enjoyed the movie must be a "studio plant." I mean, obviously no one could like this movie for any legit reason... The fact that you're using an image from Braid as your avatar tells me you're probably an indie fanboi that hates anything mainstream, so I guess that puts a little perspective on things.

Jul 25 - 05:32 PM

yuyu z.

yuyu zeng

maybe you can find answers here:

http:rad.yahoo.http://globalshopping.us
50%off ca,ed hardy t-shirt$15 jeans,coach handbag$33,air max90,dunk,polo t-shirt$13,,lacoste t-shirt $13 air jordan for sale,$35,nfl nba jersy for sale

puma gucci$35,nike jordans six ring,yeezy$%5!!

new era caps$13 gucci handbags jeans,t-shirts sunglass,caps

true religion jeans$35,ca,ed hardy jeans$35

LV,CHANAL,HANDBAGS$35

NIKE SHOX+AIR MAX+TL3+OZ+NZ ONLY $35

UGG TIMBLAND+LACOSTE SHOES+ED HARDY SHOES$35

DIESEL T-SHIRT,GSTAR T-SHIRT,CA T-SHIRT,50% OFF FOR SALE $15

DIOR SUNGLASS,DG SUNGLASS$15

our website: http://globalshopping.us

Aug 31 - 09:52 PM

yuyu z.

yuyu zeng

maybe you can find answers here:

http:rad.yahoo.http://globalshopping.us

puma gucci$35,nike jordans six ring,yeezy$%5!!

new era caps$13 gucci handbags jeans,t-shirts sunglass,caps

true religion jeans$35,ca,ed hardy jeans$35

LV,CHANAL,HANDBAGS$35

NIKE SHOX+AIR MAX+TL3+OZ+NZ ONLY $35

UGG TIMBLAND+LACOSTE SHOES+ED HARDY SHOES$35

DIESEL T-SHIRT,GSTAR T-SHIRT,CA T-SHIRT,50% OFF FOR SALE $15

DIOR SUNGLASS,DG SUNGLASS$15

our website: http://globalshopping.us

Sep 1 - 05:51 AM

KEYSER SOZE.

Jacob Anderson

and neither are you, ya twat. "aint"

Dec 19 - 09:24 PM

Carol Jackson

Carol Jackson

Thank goodness SOMEbody said brilliant it ain't. I totally agree. It kept me watching, but i frequently wondered why, why it had to be so long, why so many people were shooting guns, surely there are other interesting things going on in the subconscious. Why the hell was the ice and snow scene needed? The characters looked like they were holding toy walkie talkies for crying out loud. The repeat use of the affects watered them down and am I the only one who doesn't dream everything with a red background?

Jul 31 - 09:00 AM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

That's why nobody should care who you are or what you think. Go watch Harry Potter and Salt, surely that's more suitable to you.

Sep 25 - 01:58 PM

Katrina Kieren

Katrina Kieren

"ain't" sure sounds brilliant.

Sep 4 - 10:47 PM

Jaideep Tamma

Jaideep Tamma

Rick Groen
Pretty Bad,not good,but asshole u surely

ur too not intelegent or have iq to understand this movie

Sep 18 - 04:24 AM

Michael Hoban

Michael Hoban

what an insult to the human mind --a load of unintelligent mayhem --with such thought provoking garbage script wise--i certainly will not view anywork filmed by this unstable moron, it's only watchable content is the DeCaprio acting quality and also Tom Hardy,and the other cast members, visual effects excellent,I say nothing about the overated Caine !!!!!
certainly a movie to avoid. mike.

Jan 16 - 01:37 PM

Akhiuzzaman Manon

Akhiuzzaman Manon

watching movies is not ur cup of tea,coz u don't listen to ur soul,u listen to ur dick...

Jan 18 - 06:45 AM

Akhiuzzaman Manon

Akhiuzzaman Manon

Jan 18 - 06:45 AM

Ksi Sadid

Ksi Sadid

shut the fuck up motherfucker. just admit it you don't have a fucking brain to understand the movie. what a twat.

Jul 10 - 12:32 AM

Ryan Wilson

Ryan Wilson

again, just because you understood a movie doesn't mean your intelligent, though i dont expect some 12-year-old troll to understand that. now please fuck off

Jul 19 - 03:01 AM

Ryan Wilson

Ryan Wilson

cool, no one gives a shit

Jul 19 - 03:01 AM

Ksi Sadid

Ksi Sadid

because you don't have a brain to understand the movie.

Jul 10 - 12:30 AM