Netflix's 10 Most Rented Movies of All Time

Summary

Some award winners, some big hits, and a few surprises. Back to Article

Comments

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

I'm not at my computer, all I see is No Country For Old Men at Number 10.

As dark, nhilistic, bleak, and glorifyingly evil as No Country For Old Men is (where its The Assassin who drives off into the sunset so to speak) no wonder its one of the highest rented films.

With America obviously falling-apart (ala OCCUPYWALLSTREET.com); The Government can't control itself let alone The People it governs and The People are "worried" and The People don't feel happy about The Future.

The People will feed upon entertainment like No Country For Old Men because No Country For Old Men reflects the state of pessimism being experienced by The American People.

Remember This Weekend The Brooklyn Bridge was shut down because 3000 American People were acting disorderly . . .

The People have been provoked too much and American Film will reflect the disatisfaction of The American People.

It sounds like America is headed to the point of Anarchy! Where The US Government is becoming less powerful and less respected by The People!

and LAWLESSNESS WINS in No Country For Old Men.

Misbehavior is rewarded when The Assassin drives-off calmly leaving the would-be "good Guys" dying in pools of blood.

www.Occupywallstreet.com

remember:
True Revolution Only Comes Through The Barrel of a Gun!
---

Personally I'm surprised that The US Government has not Neutrilized the protesters.

KENT STATE (four dead in Ohio) helped "neutrilize" The Anti-Vietnam movement.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, RFK, JFK "neutrilized" by the US Government.

After a while, if these protests continue to escalate (spelling), the US Government will Neutrilize the Anti-Capitalism Movement altogether.

we'll see . . .

Oct 3 - 01:39 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I think you've misunderstood the movie (and, relax, a lot of people have). The key are the two dreams that the sheriff has at the end. One in which his father gives him something valuable that he loses, and one in which he expects his father to be kindling the light in the darkness ahead of his journey. "Then I woke up", because all of that is Freudian mythology. There is no one other than ourselves responsible for the good/evil in the world. So the film (maybe book, I haven't yet read it) is a reflection on the ease at which we find ourselves not wanting to take on such a responsibility, expecting the phantom authorities of our dreams (interpret as you will) to regulate the free will of human behavior. Evil has been with us, and will continue. Life is struggle, and there is no paradise. That's not pessimism, it's the responsibility of living with free will.

Oct 3 - 03:29 PM

Hollywood Karma

kevinsmithsux Last

Well said sir

Oct 3 - 04:04 PM

King Crunk

I've read the book No Country for Old Men as well as seen the movie (which is amazingly inferior to the book, in my opinion), and I think it is really just a story of good vs. evil, a theme that Cormac McCarthy explores in many of his books. McCarthy obviously believes the world and mankind as a whole to be inherently evil, as evil usually prevails in his books. That said, he is obviously not blind to the good deeds of the world and some people, as all of his books end with some sort of hope. The light in Bell's dream in No Country, the "fire" the boy possesses in The Road, and the epilogue of Blood Meridian all hint at some sort of hope and/or goodness within humanity. His tales are far from uplifting, but he is not a complete pessimist. On a slightly related note, I am not really a fan of the movie at all, but I love the book, and find that the Coen brothers sort of screwed up one of the great mysteries of the book in their presentation of Chigurh. It is not really their fault, but it was something that would have came with anybody adapting the book for the screen. In the novel No Country, it is never stated what Chigurh looks like, only that he wears boots. I take issue with this as a reader because in McCarthy's novel Blood Meridian, one of the main characters is an evil sonofabitch named Judge Holden, who was a seven foot tall, hairless albino that spoke all languages and never slept. Holden was supposed to symbolize something (evil, in my opinion, but it is open to interpretation), and the end of that book has The Judge dancing triumphantly, exclaiming that he will never die. This hammers home McCarthy's point about evil always existing within man, and the character of a knowledgable, relentless killer is present in a few of his books. So I found it very interesting that he intentionally avoids giving any details about Chigurh throughout all of No Country, basically hinting that Chigurh is The Judge, who kept his word at the end of Blood Meridian and never died, as evil cannot truly be killed. That was one of my many qualms with the film version of the story.

Oct 3 - 05:08 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Thank You King Crunk. I will read the book; The Blind Side is Number 1 which wrecks my argument about Pessimism in America. Great Response! I will read the book (again)

Oct 3 - 06:46 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"...only that he wears boots." "Like dust with boots on" - Jesus Lizard. It doesn't seem that this changes my interpretation of the movie's theme however.

Oct 3 - 09:55 PM

King Crunk

@Janson- I didn't say it did, I was just pointing out that the movie was kind of screwed from the get go because some of the most interesting and mysterious things about the story either could not be translated to film, or the Coens abandoned it.

Oct 4 - 11:10 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Sorry about the tone. It was supposed to be a joke. I actually like what you said about the lack of Chigur's description. I've been intending to read McCarthy since I saw that film.

Oct 4 - 10:09 PM

Dave J

I can't seem to get pass "No Country..." Can someone get the other 9 movies from "The Hollywood Reporter" website, since it sucks and I'm glad I didn't renew my subscription?

Oct 3 - 02:27 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

10. No Country for Old Men.
9. Iron Man
8. Inception
7. Sherlock Holmes
6. The Departed
5. The Hurt Locker
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
3. The Bucket List
2. Crash
1. The Blind Side

Oct 3 - 02:33 PM

Dave J

These are rather odd choices, since they're times when another movie is not available, they would see something else and then when that movie does become available for them to watch, they may have watch it already from someplace else!

Oct 3 - 03:13 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

(I couldn't view it on Hollywood Reporter either, had to go to Cinema Blend).

Oct 3 - 02:36 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Glad it's not just my computer.

Oct 3 - 02:42 PM

Dave J

I think it has something to do with "the Hollywood Reporter" than with RT! But anyways, this list doesn't seem right, because I remember reading somewhere that one of the Rush Hour movies was one of the top rentals of all time and all the films seem to be too current to make it as top rentals!

Oct 3 - 02:56 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

10. No Country for Old Men.
9. Iron Man
8. Inception
7. Sherlock Holmes
6. The Departed
5. The Hurt Locker
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
3. The Bucket List
2. Crash
1. The Blind Side

Oct 3 - 02:33 PM

Oct 3 - 03:13 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

(I couldn't view it on Hollywood Reporter either, had to go to Cinema Blend).

Oct 3 - 02:36 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Glad it's not just my computer.

Oct 3 - 02:42 PM

Oct 3 - 02:56 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

By the way, which ones were considered "surprises"? I'm not surprised at ANY of these.

Oct 3 - 02:43 PM

King Crunk

The Blind Side being number one does not surprise you??

Oct 3 - 02:55 PM

Or The Bucket List?

Oct 3 - 02:55 PM

Janson Jinnistan

It says a lot about the demographics of Netflix customers that may have been overlooked.

Oct 3 - 03:20 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Also, a lot of the really great movies like TDK or TLOTRs people won't rent they'll just buy them outright. So it makes sense that movies like these would be top rentals.

Oct 3 - 04:44 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Big Bro's got a good point there.

Oct 5 - 08:55 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

I'm not either (surprised); Crash, maybe; because its so old (relatively speaking).

Oct 3 - 06:50 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Let me clarify. I wouldn't be able to guess their order - but none of them surprise me that they are rented by a crazy amount of people. I would've been shocked had any obscure movie been on here - like Buying the Cow or Pauly Shore is Dead - not these mainstream and/or hyped movies.

Oct 3 - 07:07 PM

seanmprd78

Sean Guyon

Hey, watch it there. Buying The Cow is one of my favorite hidden gems.

Oct 4 - 09:34 AM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Haha. Nice! I own it - but don't know anyone (who I haven't made watch it) who has seen it. "Don't shoot Spiderman! He's my special friend!"

Oct 4 - 12:37 PM

seanmprd78

Sean Guyon

"You are useless, Sineopatu!" Funny thing is the only reason I ever even picked it up at Blockbuster years ago was because Alysa Milano was on the cover right around her peak (Hall of Fame, I should say)years of straight to video skin flicks. Every one of my friends has bought a copy since.

Oct 4 - 04:19 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

Nice. I bought it because I liked Reynolds (ever since Two Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place) & O'Connell (believe it or not, I enjoyed Tomcats in the theater). Alyssa was/is incredibly hot - so I was bummed that she was hardly in it.

Oct 5 - 12:45 AM

seanmprd78

Sean Guyon

I'm not gonna lie, I've been a fan of Reynold's dry humor since TGAGAAPP as well. He reminds me a little bit of Bruce Campbell, but more popular, and even Bruce would say a better actor.

Oct 5 - 04:59 AM

King Crunk

The Blind Side being number one does not surprise you??

Oct 3 - 02:55 PM

Or The Bucket List?

Oct 3 - 02:55 PM

Oct 3 - 03:20 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Oct 3 - 04:44 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Big Bro's got a good point there.

Oct 5 - 08:55 AM

Oct 3 - 02:56 PM

King Crunk

Many of these are not surprises, but I am baffled that The Bucket List and The Blind Side are in the top three. I'm also surprised more big movies are not on the list, like The Dark Knight, any of the Twilight flicks, etc.

Oct 3 - 02:57 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

My guess regarding the absense of TDK, Twilight, etc would be that casual fans saw them in the theater and didn't feel the need to rent and rewatch, and diehard fans ran out and bought them as soon as they were released.

Oct 3 - 04:16 PM

King Crunk

I thought of that after posting, but I really did think that at least one of the Twilight movies would be on there just because the tweenage fangirls go crazy for it and would rent them over and over.

Oct 3 - 04:38 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Ya gotta remember though Twihards respect them or not are some of the most dedicated fans in the world. They're more likely to buy copies and watch them endlessly than rent them. Plus a lot of movies that were huge come out around Xmas so they get bought rather than rented.

Oct 3 - 04:50 PM

Good point, Bigbro.

Oct 3 - 05:10 PM

King  S.

King Simba

I think this list makes perfect sense. These are films that people are interested in, yet they're not sure whether they'll like them or not. For example if you go through the list, you'll see that four of them are best picture winners (and all from the years 2005 and upward) This naturally gets a lot of people interested in them, yet at the same time they're also very unapealing (even The Departed, despite being hugely entertaining is not exactly for the faint of heart) which means people maybe somewhat nervous about buying them. Film like Twilight, The Dark Knight, and Harry Potter, however, are blockbusters with a huge fanbase that'll rush out to buy them as soon as they're released. Now regarding Iron Man, which did make it on the list, I think the reason for that is because a lot of people aren't really familier with The Iron Man comics (unlike Batman or Spiderman) and a lot would have normally avoided that film if it wasn't for all the buzz surrounding it. I'm kind of surprised Star Trek didn't make it to the list (It was another film that at first a good number of people had no interest in, until word of mouth spread that this was a Star Trek film that could e enjoyed by everyone)

Oct 3 - 11:37 PM

Noah James

Noah Kinsey

100,000,000% correct. VERY well put.

Oct 4 - 12:38 PM

Oct 3 - 03:13 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

It seems that these are all big oscar movies from a cretin year on... I'm surprised The Kings Speech isn't on here haha

Oct 3 - 03:18 PM

Oct 3 - 03:20 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Oct 3 - 04:44 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Big Bro's got a good point there.

Oct 5 - 08:55 AM

Oct 3 - 06:46 PM

Oct 3 - 09:55 PM

Oct 4 - 11:10 AM

Oct 4 - 10:09 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus