—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Inception Reviews

John M

July 16, 2010
Easily one of the best scifi movies ive seen in a long time. Excellent acting, amazing script, great all around.
Dan S

July 16, 2010
A mind-blowing, fantastic film concerning dreams and their dimensions, and how one man (DiCaprio) assembles a team together in order to plant an idea in an important businessman's mind (Cillian Murphy), so that he can be granted his wish to return to his home. This is a mostly astonishing picture, one that requires its audience to remain on the edge of their seats throughout its entirety. With so many thoughtless, hollow summer blockbusters coming out nowadays, it's a treat to finally see something of this complexity come out at this time of the year. Leo, as always, turns in a magnificent performance. The only fault this film has is its lack of character development amongst the supporting parts, which I originally dismissed but now that I think of it - what do we know about Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the film despite him walking all over walls and Tom Hardy's smart-aleckness? Although it's easy to get lost in this adventure, director Nolan doesn't expect you to understand every key aspect of this film. Instead, just accept the fact that this is a complicated movie, but one whose story is handled with meticulous care. Without question a very good film, and one that is deserving of the massive amount of attention and cash-flow it has received.
Alice S

August 8, 2010
Paid more for IMAX. Not terribly impressed. I've been waiting for another "Memento"-esque movie from Nolan, but the more popular he gets, the more mainstream his movies become. Huge blockbuster effects over subtle representations of deceit, action, and love.

This movie about dreams doesn't really gel with me personally because I don't have dreams in which I can "do anything." I can't make decisions in my dreams, so I was hoping this movie would address how different people dream, dream theory, common dreams, and perhaps dream interpretation, not just cool zero gravity fight scenes and "repression."

There are also several plot holes/inconsistencies. I don't buy that Ariadne would be the only one to try to crack Cobb's subconsciousness. His team has worked with him for much longer, and they still don't realize what danger they're in? How could the team not have realized Arthur's dream would coincide with the van crashing off the bridge and as such, prepare for zero gravity? What is this call that Saito makes to absolve Cobb of his past? How is Cobb even implicated in Mal's death when her point of impact from the hotel room is below a different hotel room than the one that holds signs of struggle? Why is Mal's name so obviously evil? And IF the top DOESN'T topple over at the end, then whose dream and what level are we in? The emotional and psychological elements of the movie aren't as effortlessly beautiful as the easily malleable dream worlds, which as I mentioned before, isn't EVERYONE'S dream world.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is just about the hottest guy ever. Cillian Murphy is a close second.
Christian C

April 13, 2013
Perhaps the story is complex, but not too complex if you pay attention...and pay attention, because the story's great! Joseph Gordon-Levitt is wonderful, as always. Fantastic CGI. Very entertaining.
garyX
garyX

July 22, 2010
"Extractor" Leonardo DiCaprio who specializes in invading the dreams of others for the purpose of corporate espionage is recruited by an industrialist to "persuade" the heir of a competitor to dissolve his father's company. Christopher Nolan once more produces a mind-bending concept for a genre spanning thriller that is sci-fi, spy thriller and heist movie in equal measure. The alternate reality based structure and gravity defying action scenes are very Matrix-like, the concept rather like Dreamscape (an old Dennis Quaid vehicle with an intriguing concept as Nolan no doubt recognised that was unfortunately compromised by 80s cheese) and execution rather like that of Minority Report. As such I didn't think it was quite as original as everyone else seems to but it is done with considerable style and intelligence and is never guilty of dumbing down for the audience. By the end, the multi-layered story is a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream(!), each with not only their own timeline but timeSCALE too, but thanks to Nolan's sure footed direction it is still relatively easy to follow. The cast are all very watchable, DiCaprio once again proving that he is one of the most versatile leading men around and there are some absolutely eye-popping visuals. My only gripe is that the core of the story centred on DiCaprio's personal problems rather than the more interesting heist thread, meaning that the twist is fairly predictable (by his standards) and at times it did feel to me that he was being clever for the sole sake of being clever. It is supremely entertaining however and I felt that it finished in the perfect way. Basically Inception is the film Total Recall may have been if it hadn't been shit.
michael e.
michael e.

October 14, 2010
it seemed like it tried way too hard to be the modern day matrix but failed miserably. the first matrix was hard to comprehend but it was entertaining but this movie was so hard to comprehend it wasn't entertaining it was just nauseating and i literally walked out of the theater with a migraine. It was a stupid plot i mean cmon dreams within dreams within dreams, and time slows down in a dream when you dream but time speeds up in real life and when you get shot in the dream world you go into limbo o_O. Its also said that this movie took 10 years to complete and come up with the idea. Christopher should've just stuck with the dream within dream thing then it probably wouldn't have been as hard to comprehend. There was one thing i liked though, Cillian Murphy or Richard Fischer in the film, this character was an interesting character i mean he played the freaking scarecrow in batman begins also under the direction of Nolan. Nolan just stick to another Batman movie next time
Al S

April 2, 2009
It's stylish, compelling, kinetic and relentlessly cool. A must-see. It's a spectacular, pulse-pounding and utterly mind-blowing edge of your seat thriller. A spellbinding original that pushes your mind to limits that you might not be able to handle. It's one hell of an amazing journey that truly takes your breath away. It's 007 meets The Matrix on steroids. A tremendously entertaining and unforgettable thrill-ride that truly delivers. It's truly mind-shattering and frequently amazing. An instant classic. An ingenious masterpiece. Director, Christopher Nolan has crafted a new breed of psychological thriller. It's Nolan's biggest and most accomplished work as a director yet. It's slickly written, superbly crafted and brilliantly performed. A total blast of heart-pounding suspense, adrenaline-pumping action and a brilliant plot. It delivers more twist and turns than a Chinese puzzle that will push you to the limit. A dazzling, powerful and relentlessly exhilarating action-packed ride. It has loads of eye-popping special effects and incredible action sequences. A magnetic and explosive visual treat for the eyes and ears. An excellent and incredible movie you will want to see again. An extraordinary mixture of science fiction, mystery and action all rolled into a superb and exciting heist film. An electrifying experience that has to be seen to be believed. An all-star cast that packs serious heat. They all deliver outstanding performances. Leonardo DiCaprio is brilliant, he shows such dynamic star power and emotional vulnerability. Cillian Murphy is sensational. Ellen Page is wonderful. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic. Ken Wananabe is excellent. Tom Hardy is terrific.
Sanjay R

August 28, 2010
Visually and intellectually mind-boggling. This one will have you thinking and pondering days, even weeks after you have left the theater. Good acting, great writing, great directing, and a great score make this movie one of a kind.
zach l.
zach l.

October 11, 2011
In a world where technology exists to enter the human mind through dream invasion, a highly skilled thief is given a final chance at redemption which involves executing his toughest job to date: Inception. Inception is a well-made movie, filmed in about 6 locations all over the world. The directing was outstanding, there were only about two moments, maybe three seconds in total, where i noticed that visual effects were being used (of course defying gravity is pretty difficult). The plot was very pleasingly intricate, with a twist-and-turn, keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat type feel. It's great to see a movie with a thick and emotional plot and not just grenade-throwing action heroes who achieve greatness in the end. Inception also has a very well-composed score, which to me was the finishing touch to a perfect movie. If you're thinking about seeing Inception, definitely go! Even though i was fortunate enough to see a free show, it is worth every penny you pay. Truly unique, like nothing i've ever seen before. Christopher Nolan certainly covered new ground with this film and wasn't afraid to leave us hanging with a spectacular ending.
Alexander D

June 15, 2011
Mind-blowing fun.
Matthew Samuel M

August 7, 2010
One of the most intelligent films in recent memory. It's atypical action movie thrill with a slice of emotion and a slab of depth. A film to be watched over and over again.
Joshua W

August 9, 2012
This is, in my opinion, as big as Christopher Nolan can make a film.
Graham J

July 29, 2012
This movie shouldn't work due to the complexity of it's pot, but it does. Nolan takes us into a dream within a dream within a dream.
Eugene B

July 27, 2012
Now I have my favorite film of all-time. A psychological, action-packed, dramatic, mysterious and hard-to-grasp thriller in Inception. Christopher Nolan builds a well-evaluated and constructed script that nearly drained him of ten years. But it was worth it with the amount of visually awe-inspiring scenes, masterful chemistry amongst the stars and conclusion that still brings people into their most questionable of consciousness or subconsciousness. Inception is a classic masterpiece that will forever exceed any length or limit, dreaming or not. 5/5
cosmo313
cosmo313

March 25, 2010
Christopher Nolan once again proves that he is truly one of the greatest filmmakers of his generation.

I generally don't really get into the plots when I review movies on here, but I'm not about to reverse that trend, at least not with this movie. The less you know about it going in, the better it is. If you've seen the trailers, don't worry- they don't give the whole movie away, and really only scratch the surface.

One of the reasons why Nolan is one of the best is because he is so imaginative. This movie is basically a heist type movie, yet it doesn't follow strict conventions of that genre, and it is wholly unique in its own right. Setting the story within the mind, and within multiple levels of dreams is one of the coolest and most intellect engaging ideas I've come across. I do have a couple of nitpicks though. The movie is not as complex as it seems or could be (but it's not straight forward either), and a lot more could be done within the dreams- the possibilities are limitless. So, even though this becomes an action movie, it's far from formulaic, and it's a damn impressive feat at that. Also, the lack of boobs was surprising. I can suspend disbelief, but with a male dominated cast spending lots of time in the human subconscious, it seems reasonable to expect boobs.

Other than that, I have no real complaints, except this slight one: a few of the action scenes (mainly the chase scenes) are a tad blurry and out of focus in the closer shots, making it a little hard to tell what's happening. But thankfully it's never bad enough to be really distracting. Still though, it did catch my eye. I appreciate that not everything was spoonfed to the audience and you had to pay attention, but you didn't struggle to "get it" no matter how hard you focused. The pacing is wonderful. This is a long movie, but I never got bored, and never checked my watch or anything like that. A few critics have pointed out that some of the exposition in the beginning is too much, and it bogs things down a bit, but it is necessary since it lets people know the basics of what's happening. It never felt like too much either, at least not to me. I found it all very absorbing and captivating. The cast is wonderful,and their acting is likewisie really good, although it's not great across the board. I wish Ellen Page would have been given a little less ponderous dialogue, but like how she played a major role. DiCaprio is terrific, continuing in his recent tradition of playing emotional and mentally damaged individuals. I figured that Cotillard would have a relatively minor role, but I'm so happy she also is at the forefront of things. Levitt is decent, Watanabe is good (although slightly unintelligable at times), Murphy is good as usual, but Hardy is the scene stealer. It was nice to see Berenger again, too.

The screenplay is just fantastic. Nolan has been working on the film for 10 years, and it shows. Everything is crafted so meticulously and thought out ridiculously well. I don't like to try to guess the ending of movies, but even though I thought I knew the general direction this film would take, I had no idea how it might get there, and was ore surprised to find out that I did get surprised by things. The thing about this movie getting the most attention is the visual effects. They are absolutely brilliant. I loved how very little of what is on screen is CGI- with in camera stuff and practical effects being the preferred way of doing things. It gives me hope that CGI won't totally dominate. The action sequences are intense, and in some cases (hotel hallway scenes) really creative.

This is a new classic, and definitely will become a new standard of how to make a film. Nolan has always been a bar setter, but this time he's set it ridiculously high. It does take influence from film noir, heist movies, Bond films, sci-fi films such as The Matrix, and throws in a heavy dose of emotional weight and psychoanalysis, and, even though it is a bit pretentious, it takes all the things it borrows from, flips it over, and creates a totally unique,awe-inspiring, and thought provoking motion picture.

Oh yeah, one more thing: the music is absolutely fantastic. God Bless Hans Zimmer. The usage of a certain Piaf tune is awesome and perfect as well.

*EDIT*

I've given this one a lot of thoguht, and I'm going to re-review it, well add more of a P.S. I'm keeping the original review up, since I like it, but I must say, this film doesn't quite have the wow factor when held up to closer scrutiny. The impact is slightly diminshed, and the film isn't as good as it initially seemed, but it is still quite an enjoyable achievement. Also, while I love Ellen Page, and love that she plays a major role, her character really doesn't have all that much (if any) motivation to do what she does, making it kind of a waste. I still love the fact that the twist to this movie is that it may or may not have a twist. It's also cool that the dream world is grounded more or less in reality, which is unexpected, but the film could have been a lot more "out there" and really gone off the deep end with it. I'm still extremely zealous about this movie, but in the grand scheme of things, perhaps I'll knock it down a notch even more. Not so much out of spite, but for the fact that letting it sit for a while, and personally experienceing some changes and maturations in my life has impacted my view, and, while this still might be a high water mark for intelligent action cinema, it's not the Citizen Kane of it either.
Wildaly M

December 19, 2010
Brutal. Kept me on my toes. Intelligent. Innovative. Must-see.
paul o.
paul o.

December 27, 2010
With one of the greatest endings i have ever seen, Christopher Nolan has made one of the greatest movies of 2010. The acting and action were enjoyable and the concept was beautiful. Inception was joyride of dreams and parallel levels!
Kevin C

January 24, 2011
It's fun.
Simply Cinema
Simply Cinema

July 27, 2010
The summer block buster. First started by Stephen Spielberg with the classic, "Jaws". They are known for their high budgets, low quality, and all-star casts. But in Christopher Nolans newest film since "The Dark Knight", he's decided to take the summer blockbuster to a hole new level with "Inception".

"Inception" is about a group of criminals who get paid to break into peoples dreams to steal there ideas through a process called "extraction". But when the gangs leader and most experienced member, Dominic Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio) is given an offer he can't refuse, he has to do his most difficult job ever and attempt a difficult process called "inception". Now, for the sake of the film, I won't reveal to much exept it was the best 2 and 1/2 hrs I've spent at the movies in a long time. With the perfect cast and an intriguing story that will keep your focus hostage for every second you spend in that theater.

If I had to say anything was wrong with this film, it would be that I found they focused to much on building the character of Cobb and left the other characters as just sterio-types. I did find the characters entertaining none the less. But what really sells this film is the sequences. As Brett has allready said on The Rotten Tomatoes Show, this film gets cudos for having amazing action sequences without the need of 3D. 3D was cool, but we need to give it a break. Actually, this film gets the award for most creatively awsome fight seen EVER in my books. I don't want to go into detail, but remember when that hallway was spinning around in the trailer and that guy was fighting that other guy? Yeah. Oh yeah.

You can deffinitely tell that this film is a Chritopher Nolan:
1. It has Micheal Cain in it.
2. It has the same mysterious outlook that you can find in other Chritopher Nolan films like "The Dark Knight" or "The Prestige".
3. If it looks cool, it's a Chritopher Nolan.
4. Christopher Nolans films have intense plots with unpredictable twists and intriguing stories, just like in "Inception.
5. It's really long.
6. You feel like a piece of wood floating down a river on it's current. Christopher Nolan is the current, controlling your emotions and making them go exactly where he wants them to.

There have been many movies this summer, and there will be many more, but I don't think any of them will live up to "Inception". Let me tell you why; if you are watching this film and nature calls, you'll pee yourself because you don't want to leave the theater.