The Incredible Shrinking Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Incredible Shrinking Man Reviews

October 20, 2015
Very fun and creative adventure film from the 50s. With some pretty decent effects (minus occasional blue screening) with its giant sets and props. Watch it!!
August 15, 2015
The Incredible Shrinking Man's visuals, needless to say, are visibly dated by today's standards, but one can tell that for it's time they were innovatively mind-blowing. Packed with a tight 80 minute run time, this has a creative, involving story with natural performances, a likable lead, brisk pacing, a fitting and goosebump-inducing arachnophobic antagonist and bittersweet finale. The Incredible Shrinking Man is genuinely fun, and highly recommendable to anyone craving a throwback to the classic days of genuine, clean cinema.
August 12, 2015
Not to be confused with the 1981 movie 'The Incredible Shrinking Woman' which was a spin on the original novel 'The Shrinking Man' by Richard Matheson. Or the horror movie 'The Incredible Melting Man' (1977), which is completely different and umm...sounds kinda the same, never mind.

Jack Arnold does it again with his fourth classic fantasy movie, this guy was like the Spielberg of the 50's...kinda. Now the plot here may sound ridiculous, like some corny TV series, hell look at that title. And to a degree you'd be right, this is a totally daft premise, who in their right mind would watch a movie about some guy becoming the size of a small insect, like...say an ant...oh wait.

Whilst out sailing on the seas with his wife, Scott Carey (Grant Williams) is unfortunately hit in the face by a mysterious white cloud that leaves his body covered in some shiny substance. Naturally this cloud and substance was radioactive being a 1950's American sci-fi movie, but we never find out where it came from and what caused it. To make matters worse, the seriously unlucky Carey also gets accidentally covered in insecticide months later which apparently sets of a reaction in his body (with the radiation) where by his molecular structure is rearranged causing his cells to shrink his body? Beats the snot outta me but its sounds scientific doesn't it, in other words he starts to shrink and it can't be stopped.

At first we spend a lot of time following Carey around as he gets tested by a typical professor type in a white lab coat. There is a lot of dialog and discussion between the characters about what's going on, what may happen and how they can try to stop it, sounds dull but its quite interesting and all very charming. The fun starts as we slowly start to see Carey get smaller bit by bit. This is where the brilliant use of oversized props is used to give the illusion Carey is actually getting smaller.

Now this being a black and white movie from the 50's you could be forgiven for thinking this movie would be extremely hokey. But guess what? this movie isn't hokey at all, well...not as bad as you would think, its still cheesy of course. First up the effects, the movie is of course all about the effects, and they look fantastic. Arnold and co use all the old tricks in the book with the use of rear projection, props, split screen and models. The striking thing is the oversized props for everyday common objects (large and small) are fabulously recreated. Initial things like a chair, phone, sofa, even windows, skirting boards and sockets, everything has been resized to give the illusion Carey is around the height of a small child (3ft-ish). Funny thing is, this simple illusion really works and its actually hard to visualise the character as a fully grown man, the resized props really sell the trick.

As Carey gets smaller things become even more exciting, I found myself really looking forward to what might happen next, what we will see and how small he gets. Of course when he starts living out of a dolls house, well that's when the hokey looking rear projection pops up, the cat attacks him, people walking past him, the spider in the basement, water etc...Speaking of the spider, that has to be the biggest and most eagerly awaited fear, I've never seen this movie before, but I just knew there would be a spider confrontation in the basement, what else would there be? Strangely enough it turns out to be a tarantula again, where exactly in America do these people live that tarantulas are commonly found in and around the house? Of course its obviously because tarantulas can be relatively easily controlled, probably much harder or nigh on impossible with an actual house spider (or black widow as in the original novel, bit dangerous probably).

Once Carey is trapped within the basement (after fleeing the cat), the movie virtually becomes a silent picture. As there is no one for Carey to communicate with, there is no dialog, apart from the odd bit of narration. What you see is the eternal struggle for survival by a regular human being, as if he was lost in the wilderness or a distant barren planet. Arnold conveys this idea perfectly through simple visuals, simple (but wonderfully detailed) props, and mundane simple tasks for the main character (acted out very well by Williams I might add). Basically he needs to eat, drink and sleep, so he finds an old matchbox to sleep in, he drinks from drips of water coming from the water heater, and he finds food from a mouse trap and an old piece of cake (I think it was). He's only in his own basement, but to Carey, at his size, its an inhospitable and dangerous world.

This movie was extremely ambitious for its day and it shows in almost every scene with an effect. Even by today's high levels of special effects this movie still stands up well, incredibly well. The models are all purely awesome in every way, I was stunned at how good they all looked, especially the large mousetrap and scissors. The optical illusions to make Williams look shorter are simple yet highly effective even today, the large props work so perfectly. Yet despite the outlandish nature of the plot the film never seems dumb, sure its cheesy and hokey but that's down to the era the movie was made in. The whole thing comes across in an intelligent and pleasant manner whilst dealing with themes like exploitation, gender role reversal and morality (loved the sombre yet intriguing ending).

Technical limitations of the day? you wouldn't think it, a fantastic piece of science fiction fantasy that has every element to engage you from start to finish. A classy B-movie adventure of epic proportions.

'All this vast majesty of creation, it had to mean something. And then I meant something, too. Yes, smaller than the smallest, I meant something, too. To God, there is no zero. I still exist!'
½ May 5, 2015
A pretty exciting and movie premise with decent 50's effects and a solid story-line. The movie does less with dialog and more with action, and the world around the shrinking man gets pretty disturbing. The ending could have been better, but in all it's a fine science fiction tale.
April 17, 2015
Great B-Movie that must have been quite frightening at the time and still has some tremendous set-pieces, including a fight with a tarantula (living improbably in an orb web!). The narration is good and leans a little towards the didactic at the end, anticipating the rise of Eastern mysticism in the 60's perhaps... Well written, filmed and acted, another intriguing time capsule from the 50's.
March 28, 2015
Has some genuinely frightening moments with a cat and a spider. Has nice dialog between husband and wife. Has nice set-pieces. But the ending was rather bleak and though I understand where the director was going, I felt it was a little hurried and empty.
August 5, 2014
A great demonstration of self-actualization and contentment of what existence really meant, The Incredible Shrinking Man is one of the best sci-fi flick of the 50's.
½ July 7, 2014
Having recently read the Richard Matheson book I really wanted to see the only cinema adaptation made of this classic so far.
The film is a pretty loyal adaptation and is very fitting to the time. The special effects are surprisingly good and it reminded me of old movies I used to watch as a kid.
Despite me enjoying this, I think this is one movie that could be updated. There are several darker plot developments in the book that were missed out of the film because I don't think they would have gone down too well in the 50's. Now I think they could make a really decent update.
On the other hand, perhaps this is kind of sci-fi pulp belongs in the 50's and feels more at home there.
½ March 17, 2014
A Very touching ending that came after a series of highly intense scenes in the basement.
½ September 9, 2013
For a film made in the late 50s, Shrinking Man works well with its use of special effects and the limited technology at the time. A pulp film that nicely questions existence, and while corny at times, is still a joy to watch. You feel more could have been done during the basement scenes, but the spider battle still goes down in history as one of the greatest scenes in film.
August 10, 2013
At times unintentionally funny, but with many truly frightening moments for Scott (Grant Williams), as he encounters new dangers at every stage of his journey.
½ August 8, 2013
Some pretty impressive special effects for the time (the water tank scene is especially tense) - but has one too many 50's sci-fi clichés and a rather peculiar ending
July 28, 2013
A herald of special effects from the 50s. A wonderful story by Richard Matheson.
July 8, 2013
"To God there is no zero, I still exist."

In the 1950's, the one director that was successful in making horror movies would be Jack Arnold. Some of his most successful films in that decade include It Came From Outer Space, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Tarantula. But the film I'm about to review, 1957's The Incredible Shrinking Man, is probably his most famous.

After unintentionally catching some harmful radioactive rays during a boating vacation, Scott Carey (Grant Williams) soon discovers that he is getting smaller and smaller and smaller. Eventually, he gets so small that he gets to be famous and develops a hatred for everyone, including his wife (Randy Stuart). After being attacked by the family cat, Scott ends up in the basement, causing his wife and brother (Paul Langton) to believe the cat killed him. Scott must use his small height and small knowledge to survive in the basement, especially when there's a tarantula intending to eat him.

One of the problems with Jack Arnold's films is a lack of good character development, with It Came From Outer Space being the worst offender. The Incredible Shrinking Man, however, surprised me in the fact that the character development, particularly in the shrinking man, is actually well-developed. Grant Williams did a fairly good job at doing the role, and some moments come out as chilling, particularly in scenes where he questions his existence.

The special effects are terrific for a film made in the 50's, especially scenes where Williams is shrinking. When he gets to be super small, you think that he was really that small. Other highlights in the visuals include the attack scene with the cat (which I found to be unintentionally funny) and a climatic battle with a tarantula. Believe it or not, this tarantula used was the same one Arnold used before in his film Tarantula.

The last thing I have to mention is the surprise ending. After loads of sci-fi and horror, in the end of the film, the film questions the existence of life. Without getting too preachy, the speech Williams makes in the end is a surprising and excellent way to end a horror/sci-fi film.

While I still prefer Tarantula to be the essential Jack Arnold film, The Incredible Shrinking Man is still an entertaining and visually incredible 50's classic.
½ July 6, 2013
Great Jack Arnold film vith effects that must have been pretty amazing at the time the movie was made
June 9, 2013
February 22, 2013
A great sci-fi film. A man is exposed to a cloud of mysterious dust. He begins to shrink and get thinner until he is just inches tall. His life is turned upside down. Reporters come and the media get involved. All he really wants to do is be normal again and to live life. He struggles with his marriage and what his purpose is in life as he continues to shrink. The special effects for this film are outdated of course. But the tricks they use are still very clever. The shrinking man must battle a fierce cat, a house spider, hunger; leaks and everything a figurine-sized human might encounter. A great movie to pass the time.
½ April 28, 2013
I wasn't expecting to like this, but I ended up loving it.
½ April 14, 2013
Some of the effects look dated by todays standards, but the depth of Matheson's story shines through.
½ March 15, 2013
This movie is way better than it has any right to be. With a premise like this, you would expect Si-fi camp, but surprisingly enough this turned out to be an entertaining thrill ride, with a main character that you can easily sympathise with, and you root for the whole way through. The film noire narration worked to the films advantage as well, making scenes with long periods of no dialogue tense, and makes us feel what Scott is going through. In the end this movie is way better than it has any right to be