Fantastic Four Undergoes Changes Due to The Incredibles

Cinescape.com is reporting that Pixar's "The Incredibles" in causing major headaches for the makers of "Fantastic Four." According to their sources, "the entire third act of 'Fantastic Four' has undergone extensive changes as a result of Disney and Pixar's CGI family film 'The Incredibles.' What happened was that "once the creative FF team saw the stretching effects of the 'Incredibles' character Elastigirl, the final battle we're yet to see in 'Fantastic Four' needed to be beefed up, especially what the character of Mister Fantastic was slated to do." 20th Century Fox is reported to have ponied up an addition $20M to bolster the special effects and changes were made to the script "to distance the 'Fantastic Four' ending from that of 'The Incredibles.'"

Comments

samurai7

Jeremy Huffman

[b]Stretching the budget and my expectations[/b]
This makes me believe even more that "The Incredibles' will be more like the Fantastic Four than this movie will be? I'm afraid that throwing $20M at this movie to "bolster effects" is probably not going to help because the effects won't be the major problem with it. The script and characterization will be. Why don't the studios learn from Sam Raimi and his success with Spiderman. It's the characters we love not just their superpowers.

Dec 27 - 05:16 PM

Dances With Possums

Jimbo Smith

It has Jessica Alba running around in a skin-tight suit. How bad can it be?

Jan 3 - 10:32 PM

ben grimm

Common Sense

[b]Relax[/b]
The studio has to differentiate its product.
The Incredibles is a complete rip-off of the FF. Thiis puts undue pressure on the FF movie to show us something "new."
As a huge fan of he FF throug the 70s I can say that the movie trailers (teaser & international) look darn good. The Thing isn't as visually impressive as I'd expected, but his character comes through big time. I expect the same will be true for the others. Isn't that what's important?

Mar 11 - 06:47 PM

cbebop007

Evan Favreau

Even with cool people like Michael Chiklis and Julian McMahon, Fantastic Four will suck.

End of story.

Dec 27 - 08:31 PM

QTRules

Tony Ciccarello

[b]Yes, it's gonna suck[/b]
It may make it's money back, but not with my help. It already looks stupid, especially The Thing who looks cheap and fake. I may download it at some point or rent the DVD, but I sure won't pay to see it in the theatre.

Dec 27 - 08:55 PM

t-joint

Tom Malmin

[b]Cheap & fake?[/b]
Um, you know many real guys made of orange rock to compare the suit to? I'm not exactly sure how to make the Thing NOT look fake! Similar to Abe Sapien in Hellboy, it's just something that's so...alien, that our mind rejects any kind of reality it may represent. Personally, I like the look a lot because it's extraordinarliiy true to Jack Kirby's original design, and, believe me, from what I heard about the origin changes and what they intended to base the story on, anything Kirby-ish is a GOOD thing (pardon the pun).

Still, yeah, it'll most likely suck. Really too bad. I blame Avi.

Dec 28 - 12:03 AM

Elessar Oronro

Joss Whedon

I had to do some rewrites on my own script, HERO-MAN, after seeing THE INCREDIBLES, so I know what they're going through. My script was a spoof of the superhero genre, and some familiar elements could be found in the Pixar film. For example, both villians (in my script, and the movie) had a secret volcano lair. And the scene where Mr. Incredible gets the kitty out of the tree? Hero-man does the same thing, but in a more "adult" way. Hard to describe. Anyway, Hero-man was just sold to Happy Madison Productions with Rob Schneider attached. Wish me luck!

Dec 27 - 10:34 PM

BourneFan10

Jeri Jo Thomas

[b]You Sold Your Script!![/b]
The very best of luck to you!

Dec 29 - 08:30 AM

Misato

Tracey K

Good luck!!

Dec 30 - 09:38 AM

donna542004

Donna A.

[b]Luck!![/b]

I will look to this day and say I remember when he was just a poster at rottentomoes.com. Now look at him! The big man of Hollywood. Just brings a tear just thinking about it.
Donna A.

Dec 31 - 06:35 PM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

You're a scriptwriter? Cool! I've never written a script myself- I'm a novellist. But writing's a fine occupation, ain't it? As for Fantastic Four, I know hardly anything about it. But it may unfortunately turn out to be another half-baked superhero movie that no-one likes, if previous attempts are anything to go on. Good luck with Hero-Man. Who knows, it could be the best one ever!

Jan 2 - 12:06 AM

bellalunatoo

Stephanie O'Leary

[b]A REALLY Late Congats![/b]
I'm new to the site and just found your post, and even though the news is pretty dated, I wanted to add my own "Atta Boy" kudos to the others you've received. As a fellow aspiring scribe, it's ALWAYS great news to hear that someone has finally gotten a foot in the door!

Can you give us an update on what's happening? Best of luck, Elessar!

Jun 7 - 10:06 PM

t-joint

Tom Malmin

[b]Cheap & fake?[/b]

Still, yeah, it'll most likely suck. Really too bad. I blame Avi.

Dec 28 - 12:03 AM

jeanfc

Jean Francois Cormier

Still waiting to see if Fox will blink and move Fantastic 4 to some other date... Let's not forget that in addition to the "suck" factor that is building for this film, they've got War of the Worlds opening on the same long weekend.

Dec 28 - 09:31 AM

BourneFan10

Jeri Jo Thomas

[b]You Sold Your Script!![/b]
The very best of luck to you!

Dec 29 - 08:30 AM

ThriceIsRight

Michael Packer

[b]Hmmm.[/b]
I'm personally holding out for the new Batman.

Dec 30 - 07:06 AM

donna542004

Donna A.

[b]I am looking forward to......[/b]
SIN CITY!!!
Donna A.

Dec 31 - 06:38 PM

Misato

Tracey K

Good luck!!

Dec 30 - 09:38 AM

Linnark

Josip M

Was it really worth for extra 20 million dollars to be put in this movie?

Elesser good luck with Hero-Man!

Dec 31 - 05:03 AM

Reservoir Puppy

AJ Wiley

[b]Yeah...[/b]
The movie still looks like crap. Good CGI can make the Thing not look fake...Abe Sapien looked neat in Hellboy, even if the movie still sucked. The Fantastic Four should be written by David Koepp and directed by Sam Raimi...two people that can make the unbelievable believable.

Dec 31 - 07:39 AM

Ophiuchus

KJ T

Jan 2 - 12:06 AM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

[b]Over[/b]
It just looks terrible. Why does Johnny look older than Reed? Isn't Sue supposed to be a shy, reserved, Motherly type? This movie will signal the end of the Superhero movie trend. Compared to Sin City, this piece of crap will look like one of those Barbershop flicks. They should just release the 80's original instead.

Hopefully this tripe won't spoil it for your Hero-Man script.

Jan 3 - 08:56 AM

Dances With Possums

Jimbo Smith

It has Jessica Alba running around in a skin-tight suit. How bad can it be?

Jan 3 - 10:32 PM

poedude

geraldo clough

[b]anyone ever see the ff4 film from the early 80s?[/b]
I never saw it; it was playing on a bootleg at a comic convention back in 1984; i heard it was so bad I did not bother to watch it... anyone else see the movie?

www.jerryclough.com

Jan 4 - 01:17 PM

ben grimm

Common Sense

[b]Relax[/b]
The studio has to differentiate its product.

Mar 11 - 06:47 PM

bellalunatoo

Stephanie O'Leary

[b]A REALLY Late Congats![/b]

Can you give us an update on what's happening? Best of luck, Elessar!

Jun 7 - 10:06 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday