Sally Field Joins Spielberg's Lincoln

Just give it the Best Picture award already.

She recently earned some press after speaking out publicly for soldiers' mothers -- and now, according to The Hollywood Reporter, Sally Field will play one of this country's most famous wartime moms.

According to a post published this morning, Field is attached to star as Abraham Lincoln's wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, in Steven Spielberg's descriptively titled Lincoln. The biopic, based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, is described in the report as "expected to focus on the 16th president's role in leading the North in the Civil War." Liam Neeson, attached to the project for over two years, is apparently still committed to star as President Lincoln.

Lincoln's script is being written by Pulitzer (and Tony) Award-winning playwright Tony Kushner, so you know it's going to be good -- whenever Spielberg gets around to making it. The Reporter says Spielberg will turn his attention to Lincoln after he completes Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull -- but it was supposed to be his next project after Munich, too, so you never know.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Comments

Baccus83

First Last

It's not often that Spielberg does two "serious" films in a row. He'll usually alternate between a "serious" film and a "popcorn" film. At least, that's how it's been for a while.

Sep 25 - 06:41 AM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

Have their been any big movies about Lincoln? Somebody let me know. I don't think so. I'm greatly looking forward to this.

Sep 25 - 06:49 AM

Weicher

Alvaro San Martin

The birth of a nation (Griffith); the young Lincoln (Ford), starring Henry Fonda; Lincoln (Griffith, starring Walter Huston)... and I'm sure there must be some more, but these are the flicks that come to my mind right now...

On the other hand, as long as Spielberg directs it, I'll be there.

Sep 25 - 07:12 AM

GlenGilbert

Glen Gilbert

Only in the thirties: Walter Huston did a Lincoln bio, as did Raymond Massey and Henry Fonda. And on television in the late '70's or early '80's, there was a TV movie with Gregory Peck and Mary Tyler Moore, based on a novel by Gore Vidal.

May 16 - 06:55 AM

Peyoteboy

Chris Warnke

I gotta say, i used to be a Sally Fields, maybe not fan, but i liked her work. After her inane rant recently though, i am not really planning on seeing any more new films by her. Its a shame though, as this could have been good.

Sep 25 - 07:05 AM

Weicher

Alvaro San Martin

On the other hand, as long as Spielberg directs it, I'll be there.

Sep 25 - 07:12 AM

GoldbergsVariations

Z Gold

Weicher, go back to film school :)

Sep 25 - 07:20 AM

downwithstarbucks

kevin andersen

if i based the movies i didn't see on the "inane rants" of the actors involved, i doubt i'd ever be able to see a movie.

Sep 25 - 08:20 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

Spielberg is directing Liam Neeson as Lincoln along with Sally Field and now we hear that Eastwood will likely be directing Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela along with Matt Damon and that they both may be released the same year. Hmmm, Mandela or Lincoln? Spielberg or Eastwood? Not so sure about Spielberg getting that Oscar Jeff.

Sep 25 - 02:49 PM

Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly

Yeah, hopefully neither get it and it goes to someone new.

Sep 25 - 05:00 PM

arendr

Arend Anton

I've been psyched about this movie for a while, but Sally Field really annoys me. She always plays the same sort of weepy character who gets angry and shouts and cries...

But I won't let that get in the way of my interest in the movie.

Sep 25 - 09:03 AM

criddic

Bryan Keith

This casting seems a little odd. I don't know if I could accept Field as Mary Todd Lincoln. She's a good actress, but is she really the right person for this role?

Neeson is a respectable choice to play Lincoln. I've seen him in a special stage reading with Holly Hunter (who might be a better choice for Mary) a few years ago.

Sep 25 - 10:16 AM

ffamilyguy

Tyson Thomas

Steven Speilberg is a movie GENIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 25 - 10:41 AM

jacketman

Brian Thatcher

I think its awesome when people talk about the 'genius' of people, only to make the mistake of spelling the word 'genius' wrong.
And if someone isn't going to see this movie because Sally Field went on a rant once.....I feel sorry for you. Its going to probably be one of those Spielberg classics like most of his historical dramas.

Sep 25 - 10:56 AM

BootToTheHead

Dusty Trails

Most people forgot the late 80s mini-series "Lincoln" based on Gore Vidal's novel with Sam Waterson as the president. I can't remember the actress who played Mary Todd but the series apparently focused on the First Lady's apparent record of mental illness.

Sep 25 - 11:08 AM

Peyoteboy

Chris Warnke

Well, since this is a market driven economy, if you arent willing to vote with your pocketbook, then you will never make a change.

Me, I would like to see actors act and not try and drive political agendas, so when I see something so egregious that I do what I can to send a message. I also wont see another Sean Penn movie. I wont shop at Citgo. I wont see susan Sarandon movies, I won't...

Feel sorry for me all you want, but if no one makes a stand of some principles, then we will just be a rudderless and drifting society (imho of course)

Sep 25 - 12:53 PM

BrianInSD

Brian Gaul

I'm sorry but could someone please explain to me what was so offensive about what Sally Field said? Is it because she said "G-Damn"? I could point to any number of more offensive things Fox has broadcast. Or is it because she dared to suggest that war is not a good thing?

Sep 25 - 02:20 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

Sep 25 - 02:49 PM

Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly

Yeah, hopefully neither get it and it goes to someone new.

Sep 25 - 05:00 PM

Holly Jolly

Holly Jolly

Yeah, hopefully neither get it and it goes to someone new.

Sep 25 - 05:00 PM

jacketman

Brian Thatcher

I just don't get boycotting people.

Sep 25 - 09:10 PM

vic40186

victor lopez

I am glad Sally Field is in the film, she's a great actress and she needed a big film to come back to the great leagues. During the last years she had been wasted.

Sep 25 - 09:24 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

wow, sally field playing a crazy person... hmmm? well, its a stretch

but i think its believable enough;) i can see it now as she's talking to abe: oh,abe

you REALLLY, REALLY LIKE ME, OH YOU REALLY LIKE ME!!!!" oh, sally i kid and actually

like her as an actress and boy i can't wait to see this film. and by the way anybody

have problem with liam neeson playing arguably the greatest president in this nation's

history? personally,no. but i was just wondering....

Sep 26 - 01:37 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

I'm sure it'll be really good, I'd just rather the story focused on his assassination the search for Booth a la the Manhunt novel. It's an amazing story.

Sep 26 - 04:38 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

I've been hoping that this film would get off the ground for years now, so I am damn happy with the news that casting is going on. It's finally on it's way.

Sep 27 - 07:32 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships