New Indy 4 Interviews, Pictures Online!

Vanity Fair throws a welcome-back party for Dr. Jones.

May 22 still feels awfully far away, but if the nearly six-month gap between your eyeballs and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has you feeling forlorn, fear not -- Vanity Fair's February issue features tons of Indy 4 pictures, interviews, and info!

In a piece entitled Keys to the Kingdom, Jim Windolf gives readers a glimpse behind the scenes of the fourth Indiana Jones adventure, sitting down for extended interviews with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas -- and if that wasn't enough, there's a series of Annie Leibovitz pictures to go along with Windolf's prose. If you've somehow managed to avoid the Indy excitement, passages like the one below should set you on the straight and narrow:

Rather than update the franchise to match current styles, Lucas and Spielberg decided to stay true to the prior films' look, tone, and pace. During pre-production, Spielberg watched the first three Indiana Jones movies at an Amblin screening room with Janusz Kaminski, who has shot the director's last 10 films. He replaces Douglas Slocombe, who shot the first three Indy movies (and is now retired at age 94), as the man mainly responsible for the film's look. "I needed to show them to Janusz," Spielberg says, "because I didn't want Janusz to modernize and bring us into the 21st century. I still wanted the film to have a lighting style not dissimilar to the work Doug Slocombe had achieved, which meant that both Janusz and I had to swallow our pride. Janusz had to approximate another cinematographer's look, and I had to approximate this younger director's look that I thought I had moved away from after almost two decades."

The Spielberg and Lucas Q&As are admirably in-depth, and touch on various non-Indy aspects of both their careers, including the usual suspects (Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind). But fans of the whip-cracking archaeologist will be most interested in the bits that touch on the latest sequel, and all the years it took to develop -- including the oft-discussed Frank Darabont script, ultimately passed over in favor of David Koepp's screenplay. Spielberg spills the beans:

I quite liked Frank's script, but George and I had a disagreement over it, and George and I have always agreed to agree. So when we take each other's temperatures, if I really am passionate about something, George will give in to me, and if George is really passionate about something, I'll pretty much go his way. And in this case George was passionate that this was not the story he wanted to tell at this point in the Indiana Jones saga. And I think it's a wonderful script.

Lucas, of course, is no stranger to having his decisions questioned -- or to the dangers of coming back to a beloved film franchise many years after the fact. Having already run the late-sequel gauntlet with the first/last three Star Wars installments, Lucas knows he can't count on unqualified praise for Crystal Skull:

I know the critics are going to hate it. They already hate it. So there's nothing we can do about that. They hate the idea that we're making another one. They've already made up their minds. And all they're going to do is go to the movie to say they saw it, but they could already write their review today. The fans are all upset. They're always going to be upset. "Why did he do it like this? And why didn't he do it like this?" They write their own movie, and then, if you don't do their movie, they get upset about it. So you just have to stand by for the bricks and the custard pies, because they're going to come flying your way. You know it's gonna come. Will this be Titanic? Probably not. Will this do O.K.? I think, yes, it will. So there's not much to worry about.

...And that's just a fraction of the Vanity Fair piece. To read more, and to see Leibovitz' photos (including a look at Cate Blanchett as Agent Spalko and a shot of Karen Allen and Shia LaBeouf), click on the links below!

Source: Vanity Fair (main article)
Source: Vanity Fair (Spielberg interview)
Source: Vanity Fair (Lucas interview)

Comments

dahluzz

joe shmo

more of lucas' meddling. he sounds so cynical and bitter. sorry you disappointed all of your fans with three overblown prequals, but don't drag this production to hell with you before it even gets a chance. the worst things i've heard about the movie are the comments he just made! (besides the spoilers i read, which made it sound retarded.)

Jan 3 - 07:05 AM

opTIMus Nerd

Tim Ahlberg

And that's before the big reveal that Jar-Jar isa insa thisa moviesa toosa!

Jan 3 - 09:05 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

I can hear the footsteps of a thousand Lucas-hating nerds approaching. Seriously though, a lot of people are going to hate this movie simply because it's got that sci-fi thing going on. But Lucas justifies it pretty well in that article, which is a pretty good read. I'm withholding my opinion until I actually see the movie.

Jan 3 - 10:01 AM

BlueMobius

D.S. Levy

You're right, Lucas, I HAD made up my mind about the Episode One before seeing it. I had decided that I had waited twenty plus years for it, was going to love it, and could not WAIT to watch it.

The movie sucked all by itself.

Don't blame us for a crappy movie, dude. That was all you. I'm still excited to see Indy 4 and if it sucks, it sucks. The audience doesn't have the ability to MAKE it suck, Luscas, you idiot.

Sigh...

Jan 3 - 10:05 AM

RottenRob

Rob Potter

Blue Mobius: Although I liked Phantom Menace (despite plenty to complain about), you make a good point. He sounds awfully defensive, and he's really misreading how much people want to like this movie (as they did Phantom Menace). And he seems to be saying that people who happen not to like his movies simply don't get them because they went in with bad attitudes. That's a little silly. I think most fans are pretty open to whatever they do--as long as it's good!

Jan 3 - 06:32 PM

7thhell

jason johnson

I can't wait for this movie!

Jan 3 - 11:32 AM

thereign

lance berry

Just read the interviews. What a whiny, petulant baby Lucas has become. "We're gonna use MY idea, Steven, or I won't play with you! MY story! MINE! MINE! MINE! Waaaaahhhh!"
(stomps feet up and down)

Remember, George: YOU are the reason the first two Star Wars prequels sucked, and Revenge of the Sith was only tolerable! I could've lived my whole life believing Darth Vader was this ruthless, bad-@ss S.O.B. instead of a whiny baby who missed his mommy.

And to compare the new Indiana Jones' plot to that of Phantom Menace in an earlier interview certainly doesn't help matters.

Jan 3 - 01:29 PM

dracus

Cap Nord

rockster11 said
Lucas is a pansy gayish looking little boy.. He thinks he rules the universe and its his way or the highway... I hope he doesnt destroy this movie..

Well rocktser, first of all when his, not YOUR, so called crappy Star Wars prequels make over 4 billion dollars at the box office and DVD sales he probably has a right to think he rules at least the movie universe. As for Indy 4 the last time I looked, Spielberg and Ford have also given Indy 4 their blessing, so if this movie is destroyed they have to take as much blame for it as Lucas.

BUT Lucas is right about one thing, the critics and Lucas bashers already hate this movie yet between overall box office and DVD sales, Indy 4 will easily make a billion and a half. The same way each of those supposedly crappy Star Wars prequels that the Lucas bashers hated did. Long live Jar Jar and his maker!!!

Jan 3 - 01:31 PM

rockster11

Matt Gamble

Yeah Im just giving my opinion and there is something wrong with me... Ooooooooooookay.. Like I said, here come the star wars geeks!!!!

Jan 3 - 06:05 PM

reavus4983

Mike Saxton

rockstar, compare your bank account and career with Lucas before you sit on a website and complain about him. Everything that you have said yourself has been unintelligent. Regardless of what anybody thinks about Lucas, nobody has the right to tell anybody else what their movie tastes should be even if they are Star Wars prequels. Unless it's regarding AvP 2. You're also ignorant for presuming that Lucas is a moron on any level and unintelligent enough to have posted twice on the same board bashing Lucas and defending yourself against 'fanboys.' You also couldn't think of anything remotely articulate to say about Lucas other than "pansy gayish looking little boy" which shows the limits of your own brainpower. You at least could have given him a Star Wars-referenced insult. I'm even ashamed of myself for taking the time to write you this response; but like rockstar, I have nothing better to do.

Anyway, the interviews with Lucas and Spielberg and the main article were all interesting and insightful. Lucas did seem a little less than hopeful about the new movie's success, but he said that about all of his movies before they come out. I also hope they don't restylize the new one too much to fit in with the 1950s. The alien stuff makes me worried too, but I don't doubt that it'll be good regardless.

Jan 3 - 06:07 PM

Floor Man

Floor Man

How judgmentally pretentious of you to say so, rockster11.

That's something I've noticed about the Star Wars prequel-haters (actually, recently Lucas- or Bay- or ____-haters in general); they NEVER SEEM TO LET IT GO! Does it make you feel better to CONTINUALLY trash-talk your least favorite film-maker(s)? If you didn't like it, say so and leave it be. Yeeshk. Talk about annoying....

Jan 3 - 01:32 PM

Zen Bullet

J D

In one sense Lucas is right: you need to make movies for yourself without crippling your vision by placating audiences. On the other hand, the original Star Wars Trilogy appealed to a widespread audience base, regardless of whether Lucas thinks they were made just for 12-year-olds. He failed to consult the heart of what people saw in Star Wars when he extended the series. Yes, a filmmaker is justified to tell a story according to his own preconception, but when a series like Star Wars has already been well-integrated into the popular culture it is no longer his own, and it may be perceived as something else entirely, and to resist that point is to set the foundation for disappointment.

In fact, Lucas seems to be the only person who didn't really "get" what made "Star Wars" work. The prequels more-or-less serve as works of self-sabotage, belittling the strengths of the original films(with weak portrayals of events better left to the imagination . . . or to a better filmmaker) while exhibiting a host of terrible story and filmmaking decisions. With the Prequels, Star Wars became camp, and with wooden characters and weak storytelling, they're just embarrassing. The very tone and nature of the first Star Wars spinoff books should have cast a spotlight on how the series was being interpreted.

Spielberg has always struck me as very bright and astute, a sentiment exhibited in the interview. I hope his well-earned skill-set and sharp intuition can counter Lucas's less-reliable tendencies. Lucas may have a gift for developing concepts and story premises, but Spielberg is immensely more qualified to portray them.

Jan 3 - 01:36 PM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

This is dead on.

Jan 7 - 01:36 PM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

I found the article and interviews interesting.

All-in-all Lucas is a great visionary and a great idea man. Without him, there would be no Star Wars or Indiana Jones movies to begin with. His writing and directing really aren't all that great (although he did direct New Hope). When he works with other great visionaries/writers/directors/producers, that seems to be when his ideas seem to come to life in a way that people enjoy the most. Does he come off as a bull-headed prick sometimes? Absolutely. For me, that doesn't trump the value the movies he's come out with.

I'm not worried about this movie simply because of how close he's working with Speilberg. As Zen Bullet has pointed out, Spielberg is going to bring this movie to life (along with Ford's performance). It's too bad that the Star Wars prequels weren't directed by someone else and there wasn't anybody else keeping Lucas's writing in check. I personally don't hate the prequels, but there are many problems with them that might've been corrected if Lucas was working with people like a Speilberg, Ron Howard, Chris Claremont.

In a time where good Sci-Fi movies are virtually non-existant, fans of the genre should be looking forward to movies like this. Granted we all want to see something new and interesting, but I for one am starved, and will happily accept another Indy movie.

Jan 3 - 02:50 PM

medicineman

Kim Hutton

I'm with Floorman, Dracus and others who share their opinion on this one and as it was said earlier Long Live Jar Jar and his maker!

As for Rockster11, there%u2019s definitely wrong with that boy!

Jan 3 - 04:52 PM

medicineman

Kim Hutton

As for Rockster11, there is definitely wrong with that boy!

Jan 3 - 04:53 PM

Jan 3 - 06:05 PM

reavus4983

Mike Saxton

Jan 3 - 06:07 PM

Floor Man

Floor Man

How judgmentally pretentious of you to say so, rockster11.

Jan 3 - 01:32 PM

Jan 3 - 06:07 PM

RottenRob

Rob Potter

Jan 3 - 06:32 PM

rockster11

Matt Gamble

Okay, whatever you say fanboy.... IF you don't like my opinions, DON'T read em!!! Case closed.. Now go back to playing lightsaber tag with your little buddys.

Jan 4 - 07:16 AM

DarthWonka

Jesse Rodgers

This is dead on.

Jan 7 - 01:36 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships