Critic Review - Salon.com

Quentin Tarantino seems to be hanging on to a lost world of moviemaking. He may be nuts. But he's a nut who cares.

December 16, 2009 Full Review Source: Salon.com | Comments (17)
Salon.com
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

D34DGh0sT

Dudley Heffington

if you mean to a time when most movies didnt suck, then yes

Dec 17 - 03:47 PM

Daemon Redd

Daemon Redd

Movies do not 'suck' today. You're just seeing all the wrong ones. I like to think of the Coen Brothers' remake of True Grit as an example of how film has advanced.

Oct 13 - 01:23 AM

Wayne B.

Wayne Bro

Who cares?

Anyone with a grain of human decency.

Anyone who honors the integrity that the true heroes who fought that war fought it with.

Anyone not suffering from some sort of mental pathology.

Dec 18 - 01:19 AM

Corey B.

Corey Bloom

dude lighten up

Dec 19 - 11:21 PM

Jackie R.

Jackie Reid

You are absolutely right. Worst movie I ever saw. The promotion of sadistic cruelty is immoral. If I were Jewish, I'd be protesting in the streets against this movie. It brings them down to the level of nazis, if not beneath that level.
Jackie

Jan 18 - 06:10 AM

Eduardo Tobias

Eduardo Tobias

That's the point of the film. It's supposed to test your moral values. It's like eye for an eye but more complex.

May 29 - 09:35 PM

Double.Dubs

Edward Stymest

>Quentin Taratino
>Complex
lol

Jun 16 - 11:04 PM

Kimberly Faith Paredes

Kimberly Faith Paredes

Your comment is unrelated to what the critic said. The critic said Quentin Tarantino is "a nut who cares".

Mar 21 - 07:12 AM

Siege S.

Siege Sage

Basterds is a great film. He does care deeply about film and what he does and tries to make the best movie he can possibly make and one day will make his defining masterpiece.

Jan 17 - 01:19 PM

Jackie R.

Jackie Reid

Ridiculous movie. The promotion of sadistic cruelty IS, as one critic put it, immoral. My husband and I both fell asleep watching it. Nothing is going on but hateful revenge. Don't we already have enough of that sentiment in the world already? If I were Jewish, I'd protest in the streets. They are brought down to the level of nazis in this movie. "DON'T BOTHER" is my advice about seeing this movie. Imagine calling it a "feel good" movie. It made me throw up.
Jackie

Jan 18 - 05:54 AM

Eric M. Robbins

Eric Robbins

Grow up...

Jan 20 - 12:34 PM

Brendan Schroer

Brendan Schroer

Damn! People take "movie morals" so seriously! Movies are supposed to entertain the audience, not to demoralize others. Jackie R., if you don't like the "promotion of sadistic cruelty", then don't even watch a movie until you research it. Simple as that. It'll save the time you wasted on such a narrow-minded comment like you posted.

Jan 26 - 10:31 PM

Edd J.

Edd Jefferson

Do you not realise that the whole point of the film is that it forces you to challenge your preconceptions about the morality of revenge; particularly on such a large scale...and also the depravities that war brings out in people!? Seriously, learn about good films...also, put your review on the user reviews section, rather than commenting it on the part of a critic who understood and enjoyed it.

May 16 - 04:13 PM

Ken

Kenneth W.

You know, folks, there's actually a hint in the movie that the Basterds and their actions aren't being glorified.

One might even say it's right there in the title.

Sep 29 - 02:43 AM

Jay C.

Jay Cee

It is the comments on RT that assure me that the United States is indeed headed for an Idiocracy future.

Satire is hard :( I don't want to have to think about a movie, I just want sparkles and colors flashed into my retinas. Well, back to watching Real Housewives of Green Bay, Wisconsin, I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant! and World's Wildest Police Chases. I like it when da cars crashes on da road.

Jun 3 - 05:14 PM

Daemon Redd

Daemon Redd

Well I'm glad you're far enough above society to know we're all doomed. If you are referring to Basterds' fan-base in your comment, I think you're poorly misinformed.

Oct 13 - 01:26 AM

Kimberly Faith Paredes

Kimberly Faith Paredes

Lost world of movie-making, eh?

Dec 6 - 04:22 AM