66% The Equalizer Sep 26

Inglourious Basterds Reviews

Page 1 of 2081
John M

August 18, 2009
Nice little Tarantino flick of revenge set against the backdrop of WWII. The actors are top notch and the carnage is just right.
garyX
garyX

August 21, 2009
Quentin Tarantino returns with the story of the Basterds, a group of Jewish soldiers performing guerilla warfare and terror tactics behind enemy lines to strike fear into the hearts of German soldiers during World War II. Inglourious Basterds is a very difficult film to pigeonhole. It's part Jewish revenge fantasy, part gung ho war film, part knowing parody of patriotic flag wavers and 100% Tarantino. His trademark patchwork of styles and references is as evident as ever; the opening scenes are pure Leone, turns into The Dirty Dozen and then zig zags off on tangents all over the place. It's impossible not to enjoy a film with this premise (unless you are a closet Fourth Reicher or member of the BNP) and Brad Pitt's hilarious send up of a hick war hero is almost as good as Christoph Waltz's high camp evil Sherlock Holmes (complete with pipe). But I'd have to say much of the film that does not feature these two could've stood for some judicious pruning and very oddly for a Tarantino film, the soundtrack sometimes just did not work. Unlike the likes of Lucas and Cameron though, Tarantino is a pure film fan's film maker so when he gets too self indulgent, it is with the direction, dialogue and characters rather than visual bullshit and so even at their worst his films are always interesting and of merit.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

October 11, 2013
I'll be honest this was the first Tarantino film I've ever watched. However, if this is good, I can't wait to see his better films, like Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. With a superb opening with such an intense pace, from these 20 minutes, it's very clear of how powerful a performance Christoph Waltz gave, especially the fact he won the Oscar he surely deserved. The rest of the film is packed with violence, some good laughs and some intense moments in which hell breaks loose within seconds. To top this off, Christoph Waltz is backed up with Brad Pitt (Fight Club), Michael Fassbender (Prometheus) and even Director Eli Roth (Hostel). Overall, Inglorious is a superb feature, that is compared way too much with Tarantino's earlier work, which has a nice twist within its WWII setting. A must watch for action and Tarantino fans.
Matt G

January 22, 2011
So fucking great. It's tied with Django Django and Pulp Fiction as my favorite QT film. Suspenseful, funny, and very well-acted.
rubystevens
rubystevens

September 30, 2008
tbh there were two good scenes in this. qt really needs a decent editor
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

April 3, 2009
without question basterds is my favorite tarantino film, and the first of his that ive actually loved. the film wasnt perfect as it didnt develop its characters well, but the film also did a lot of things very well. the dialogue was as good as a tarantino film has ever had, the humor was appropriate and used very well, the violence was gritty, and the acting performances were excellent across the board. the overall story here was just very good and i couldnt wait to see where it ended up. even with all of this i think that the best part of the film was the tension built by so many scenes, and each scene led in a direction other than the most predictable one. a wonderful film that gives me hope that i might enjoy some of tarantinos work in the future.
Sam B

March 18, 2011
Tarantino overindulges more than usual with Inglorious Basterds, which results in an overly-long and in many ways, super-manipulative film. Even so, the winking self-awareness that pervades every scene, the piercing dialogue that proves Tarantino is a master of tension-building as well as the powerhouse performance that Christoph Waltz gives us, cements Inglourious Basterds as the very epitome of the director's line of work.
Eugene B

August 11, 2012
Quentin Tarantino's feel on the World-War-II-consumed story is thrilling and remarkable. The unbelievable dialogue and performance from its stars (especially a diabolical Christoph Waltz) and Tarantino's signature taunt of violence makes the picture spectacular. 4/5
paul o.
paul o.

August 10, 2012
A daring take on WWII with director Quentin Tarintino actually rewriting history. Its fun, unsubtle, and silly. A first time viewer of Tarintino films will enjoy this and understand his unique dialogue style and his ability to make actors reach their career best (Diane Krugar). A great addition to Tarintino's collection.
Graham J

March 25, 2012
I had to rewatch this one a few times before I rated it and figured out where it goes in the ranking of QT's films With fantastic dialogue, great casting, ofcourse a terrific score and amazing visuals, with the style of Kill Bill but from a more mature filmmaker. This film has so much to say and so much detail, it goes much deeper than "poking fun" at WWII. It's closest comparison is Dr. Strangelove.
Sanjay R

March 30, 2012
Tarantino is a great director, but very overrated. Like many of his films, this one has time-wasting banter, extreme violence, and spins in circles until it finds a conclusion. However, the time-wasting banter is entertaining, the extreme violence in necessary, and the spinning story provides quite the ride. Tarantino is excellent at executing his ideas, I'm just not a huge fan of his ideas.
P.S. Great performance by Christoph Waltz
Mark Beckford
Mark Beckford

May 5, 2012
Best Tarantino movie yet.
Mark B

May 5, 2012
Best Tarantino movie yet.
Scott G

March 24, 2012
A truly amazingly clever film, Brad Pitt puts the bullet on the cake.
Dean !

February 1, 2010
A little long in the run time I felt, but overall a very entertaining film with great performances from Brad Pitt and Christopher Waltz. The second half of the film is better as a plot to assassinate the top Nazi's in one hit slowly unravels with a few twists and turns.
Albert K

April 5, 2011
One of Quentin Tarantino's best movies. There's something about Tarantino movies that is hard to put our finger on but yet its undeniably entertaining and worthy to be considered a cinematic wonder. The editing style is very unpredictable and the traditionally long takes Tarantino loves to place into his movies isn't a perfect match for an adventure war movie, but they're unyieldingly magnetic. One masterful scene comes to mind -- the bar scene.

"Inglourious Basterds" is a movie to be remembered for a long time for its ferocious yet patient narrative that's irresistibly entertaining. It exudes the cinema magic we all strive for. "Inglourious Basterds" is a bound-to-be classic.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 10, 2011
Waltz deservedly won the academy award for best supporting actor for his amazing performance as a powerful nazi official bent on destroying the basterds. Brad Pitt and all of it's cast imitate the emotion of the characters struggle at the time of war almost perfectly. Tarantino typically doesn't hold back on the violence yet again, as its another one of his films where violence is neccesary and not mindless. The plot seems a bit average but its turned into a masterpiece by the behind the scenes and on camera talent.
Raymond W

October 16, 2011
Violent, humorous, and stylish, Inglorious Basterds is a classic entertainer that features a unhinged performance by Christoph Waltz and Melanie Laurent.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 12, 2011
Inglorious Basterds is a movie I get chills from watching. The story is incredible and just proves Quentin taratino is one of the coolest directors out there who knows what the viewers want. The cast is great, Christoph Waltz was one of the most synical and evil human beings I have ever seen in a film, and Brad Pitt was great as well. The direction from Taratino is basically what made this film perfect, it may be that any other director would've failed but not this genius man. inglorious Basterds is a fun, bloody,, and cool World War 2 film that is hard to forget, and trust me, it will never leave your mind.
Page 1 of 2081