Inhale Reviews

May 16, 2015
Tedious, dull and full of clichés. Dermot Mulroneys good performance can't save this movie from being a waste of time.
May 3, 2015
Inhale is an okay film. It is about a couple who goes to dangerous lengths to find a lung donor for their daughter. Diane Kruger and Dermot Mulroney give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Baltsar Kormakur did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and mystery.
October 14, 2014
I found this to be a fairly realistic portrayal of what a family would do to save a loved one. The story takes it as far as you can imagine it could go, and the ending may surprise you. Well acted and keeps you interested in what could possibly happen next.
October 9, 2014
well... I didn't see the end coming.
August 27, 2012
Dermot Mulroney is looking for transplant donor for his daughter. He's called Paul Stanton but I totally misheard the first time he said his full name, like Paul Stanley the singer from Kiss. So he ends up going to Mexico where he goes around asking everyone, "Where's Dr. Navarro?" I thought he should ring Jane's Addiction or something. Ha Ha Ha. Anyway it's okay I guess it kept my attention but you know it's like 75 minutes long so it's kind of short.
½ December 19, 2013
I think I liked this more than the critics and the fans...maybe it's because I'm a parent of a 5 year old, but it was a pretty compelling account of a father's desperation and perseverance in the face of the death of his child.
October 18, 2010
Cast includes my good friend Eduardo Ambriz DeColosio!
September 17, 2013
The hook is all in the dilemma faced by the parents as it's such a difficult and impossible situation to be in.
½ June 13, 2013
An interesting and quick thriller that attempts to expose the black market of organ transplants. Dermot Mulroney, although not spectacular, put forth a watchable performance while almost carrying this film single-handedly. In a film that does a good job showing the moral dilemmas a father faces and the great lengths one will go, it somehow feels incredibly thin and lackluster. In may have something to do with the incredibly limited runtime. A great ending leaves it at -- 7/10.
½ December 9, 2012
Roteiro raso. Perda de tempo.
December 5, 2012
Grym Film. =/ "Organs Watch" uppskattar att 15 000 personer per år utnyttjas för organhandel av den organiserade brottsligheten. De olagliga operationerna görs ofta med myndigheternas goda minne. Organhandeln kan därför fortgå som en "offentlig hemlighet."
½ October 13, 2012
This story about illegal organ procurement had a tricky twist at the end.
½ September 21, 2012
Right after Inhale ended, I declared that it was a failure. How could it end like that? How could these people go through this journey, only to conclude in that way? I thought about it for a while and determined that my conclusion (it's a failure) was correct, but not in the decision one character made in the end, but how the build-up to that decision wasn't presented to us well within the film.

Obviously, I can't tell you how Inhale ends, but I'll tell you that it involves a moral choice. The choice that the character ends up picking doesn't make sense given the way that he's been shown to us up until this point, and then comes from out of nowhere. I was initially mad at the decision, but taking a step back made me realize it wasn't at the decision -- it was at the film for not allowing me to understand why that decision was made.

The plot revolves around a family who, in the film;s opening scene, has withdrawn all of the money in their bank accounts and are preparing for some sort of trip. As it turns out, only the father, Paul (Dermot Mulroney) is going to be leaving. His wife, Diane (Diane Kruger), and daughter, Chloe (Mia Stallard) are going to be staying home in America. He's going to Mexico in order to locate a man named Dr. Navarro who supposedly can be bribed in order to get to the top of an organ transplant list. See, Chloe's lungs are degenerating, and the American health system isn't getting her the help she needs.

For the first half of the film, our story is told in a non-linear fashion, switching back between the events leading up to the decision to head ot Mexico, and the actual trip. The flashback storyline is essentially telling us how the couple figured out that Dr. Navarro even existed, while the present plot shows us the roadblocks that he has to get through in order to locate the man possibly willing to perform the surgery needed to save Chloe's life.

In Mexico, Paul encounters a lot of things that he doesn't expect or plan for. He has a lot of money, sure, and he's willing to spend it, but gang members, corrupt police officers, street kids with guns, and uncooperative people end up delaying his trip. He was hoping for a quick in and out, but he ends up having his life endangered far more frequently than is comfortable. Remember that his daughter's lung could collapse at any moment, as she has already reached the final stage of degeneration. Every second should count, but because of all of these obstacles, he is nowhere as fast as he'd like to be.

He is determined, which plays to his advantage. Unfortunately, his daughter's life is the only thing that drives him forward in life, leading to a boring character to follow around for the better part of 90 minutes. There is nothing else to this guy. He wants to save his daughter, and doesn't have time for anything else. I get that, but it's not fun to spend time with someone like that. His wife is the same, despite not having anything to do other than make sure Chloe doesn't get excited or stressed out (that can lead to lung failure).

Actually, she has no excuse, and also serves no purpose except to not make Paul look like a bad father by leaving his terminally ill daughter with a babysitter. She ultimately doesn't factor into the equation at all -- she's stuck at home while Paul does the real hero and detective work -- and her character is just as bland despite having no reason to be. If some humanity were to be introduced into the film, it should have come from her, or from Paul as he struts the streets of Mexico and encounters all of the poverty that's down there.

There's even a point during Inhale when he's shown how many sick people are in just one clinic that are going to die because the supplies to treat them aren't available. But because he's driven to figure out a way to save his daughter, he doesn't take more than a cursory glance. Tie that in, and we might have an interesting character, as well as an ending that makes more sense to the viewer. But because of the single motivating factor, a golden opportunity is missed by the filmmakers.

However, I am reminded of the idea that if a film manages to make you feel that kind of emotion, it must have at least done a partially good job. I suppose it's true that over the course of the film, Paul's determination allowed his character to grow on me. But upon reflection, like I said, it wasn't the events in the film that angered me, but the way the filmmakers went about presenting them. In this case, I don't think that it can be attributed to good filmmaking that caused the emotional stir.

Inhale is a wasted opportunity. It's fairly involving for most of the time it plays, but the way that the ending is both set-up and executed left me stunned and angry. Not because of the character and decision that was made, like I initially thought, but because the filmmakers didn't create a cause-and-effect chain to lead us to that conclusion. It simply goes from one point, which dominates most of the film to the end, which comes almost out of nowhere. It's not a bad film, but it needed key scenes changed in order to make the ending work and not undermine the entire effort.
August 29, 2012
Absorbing film and has a great twist
May 13, 2012
A competently made action thriller. Its main problem is that the story is far-fetched and not a bit plausible, and tends to go over the top. Had the emphasis been made on the story rather than the action aspect, it would have been a much better movie. As it is, it's an entertaining but forgettable action flick.
October 20, 2010
intense and powerful drama about a family looking 4 lungs 4 their daughter and 'organ tourism' in a 'babel'-like style
April 28, 2012
intense well acted drama about a family searching for organs (lungs) 4 their daughter
½ August 4, 2011
The ending of this movie made me kind of sad. But it was still a pretty good movie.

Grade: B-
½ December 2, 2010
I did not see this ending coming. The cast was great in this and made it worth the time to watch this sad story.
½ March 1, 2012
This movie is part of a series of movies (Babel, Man on fire) which portray the very difficult Mexican social and economic situation next to the American border and how delicate the balance between the two countries is.

The movie builds tension quite appropriately as we see a desperate father willing to risk his life in search of a mysterious doctor who is in charge of illegal transplantations, in order to save his daughter's life.
In his way, he'll see children gangs, prostitution, corrupt policemen and all the colors of human misery when poverty reigns. But he will also discover kindness, decency and the innocence of children.
In the eyes of the character everyone is corrupt and dishonest and this concept is exactly what the script aims to do. It tries to show us how ignorant rich societies are of the way poor ones live and that not everyone who lives humbly is a criminal as the main character will find out. He'll also find out that the most despicable characters in the movie are not even Mexicans. This is a journey of awakening for someone who has to go down to hell because he needs to.

The very emotional ending add to a movie which is decent and leaves a very important message. Rich societies play an important part in the state of poverty which is undermining poor societies and they have the moral power to revert this situation. That is, if they really wanted to.