Innerspace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Innerspace Reviews

½ August 25, 2007
It runs maybe twenty minutes too long, but it's fun almost the whole way through.
½ February 3, 2012
Despite a few scenes where Martin Short goes a bit over the top, I really enjoyed watching this. A good movie from the 80's that is worth seeing if you haven't already.
½ October 8, 2015
A crazy sci-fi comedy romance that can only be made in the 80s. Martin Short is very funny and the the movie is enjoyable with some nifty special effects. A fun ride in and out of the human body.

Grade: B+
August 3, 2015
With a strong cast and pure inventiveness, Innerspace has a great set-up and payoff throughout the whole movie.
November 20, 2013
a silly little flick about man's desire to explore the microbiological universe
Martin Short, Dennis Quaid, and Meg Ryan share ripe chemistry together
being inside a human being has never been so funny or gross depending on your taste of the scenario
Joe Dante still has that creativity with effects and actors
May 25, 2015
My favorite Joe Dante film and one of my all-time favorite comedies. I know this film isn't considered an 80s classic like "Back to the Future" but for whatever reason this is a film that I've always loved. In my video store clerk days, "Innerspace" was one of I always had on high rotation to play during my shifts. The script is by Jeffrey Boam, who had too short of a career but wrote some very good film, and Steven Spielberg produced the film, which is kind of a comic/action take on "The Fantastic Voyage." Dennis Quaid is shrunk down to miniature size so he can be injected into a rabbit, but when bad guys breaking the lab to steal the technology, he get's injected into a hapless Safeway clerk, Martin Short. Quaid established contact with Short through his inner ear and the two then team up to stop by the bad buys and safely get Quaid out of Short. The film is also greatly helped by Meg Ryan, playing Quaid's girlfriend and a plucky reporter working to uncover the story of technological espionage. The script is witty and clever, the characters are likable, the action if exciting, and the cast is especially good. I remembered most of the jokes in the film, but there were a number of them that I'd forgotten and still cracked me up; Martin Short in the doctor's office, Quaid telling Short how to fight or talk to women, Quaid psyching Short up to jump out of a moving truck or (SPOILER ALERT!) the way director Dante shoots the bad guys after they get shrunk to 50% just kills me. Director Dante also gets a lot of credit for creating a real connection between Short and Quaid, who are never actually in the same shot together until the end of the film. And this is movie that made me start a crush on Meg Ryan. I'd seen her in "Top Gun" and "Armed and Dangerous" and liked her there, but this was the film that really gave her the opportunity to show off her cute charm. Besides the main folks involved, you have a strong supporting cast that includes Fiona Lewis, Vernon Wells, Orson Bean, Kathleen Freeman, Joe Flaherty, Andrea Martin, Rance Howard, Chuck Jones and Dante stock company actors Robert Picardo, Wendy Schaal, Henry Gibson, Dick Miller, Kevin McCarthy, NS William Schallert. There's also a find score by Dante's regular composer, the great Jerry Goldsmith. And Rob Bottin provided some of the special effects. Overall, I think this is a classic film that should be better recognized.
April 29, 2015
Sujeito miniaturizado e viaja dentro do corpo humano.
April 15, 2015
Sci-Fi comedy really comes together with the starring of Meg Ryan, Martin Short and Dennis Quaid. The latter 2 mash extremely well and provided many serious laughs. When there was no laughs, there was great action!
April 9, 2015
Short just chews up the screen in this manic,zany comedy.
½ April 6, 2015
Middling entertainment.
February 2, 2015
InnerSpace is a wild, preposterous, entertaining movie, largely because of how relentlessly wacky the story is.
December 16, 2010
Fun movie! You can barely go wrong with Joe Dante films when it comes to great special effects and decent entertainment.
½ December 14, 2014
I was surprised, this movie was actually pretty good and it was very well-written. The movie provided a good amount of action, humor, and a few interesting plot twists. I recommend.
November 18, 2014
One of my childhood favourite's :)
½ February 13, 2010
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
January 24, 2014
Not many films combine comedy and SciFi in such smooth blend with new and interesting characters. Can't wait for the sequel which should be called "Jack Potter to the Rescue!"
December 19, 2013
This movie is basically a Fantastic Voyage for the 80's, but it's also one of those movies where all the elements are all over the place, and nothing really fits together quite right. The plot is entertainingly zany, but I think it's rather hard to follow at the beginning, though eventually, everything starts making sense. The characters aren't too bad, but at the same time, I don't really care for them. The overall style, on the other hand, though rather typical of the 80's, is actually somewhat enjoyable. Though the film may be somewhat lacking in humour, some of the zanier scenes make up for it, especially when the plot starts getting more far out.
½ December 12, 2013
This movie is a nice bit of fun with great special effects however, for a movie that is supposedly set inside the human body, you see very little of it. 95% of the movie focuses on crazy subplots involving a cowboy, a campy James Bond style villain whose base is the corner of a car park and Martin Short being Martin Short, which is mildly entertaining and charming but mostly feels like filler. The awesome scenes of inside the body is what really appeals, it's just a shame it only amounts to a couple of minutes of total screen time. The actors all have great chemistry and work well together but the awe and excitement of what could have been a more Fantastic Voyage like epic journey through uncharted and dangerous territory is replaced with all too familiar zaniness for it's own sake. But the little of the good stuff we do get is worth it so check it out, if you don't have Fantastic Voyage on hand.
November 17, 2013