Inside North Korea Reviews

March 19, 2013
Before watching this documentary, I thought I knew how severely the dictatorship was affecting the country of North Korea, but the footage shown proved otherwise. It is far worse than I could imagine and I am not sure how their society could still function under such harsh circumstances. The people of North Korea seemed to be completely indoctrinated and loyal to their leader, Kim Jong Il, no matter how terrible their living conditions were. Even a rare blessing such as Dr. Ruit's eye surgeries were regarded as being a gift from Kim Jong Il, despite him having little to do with it.
At various times I felt scared for the reporters considering how strictly they were being watched; it takes tremendous courage to willingly walk into such an autocratic environment. The extent to which North Korea holds enmity towards everything foreign to their country is surprising in this day and age. I found the interview with the North Korean defector, Ju Sung Il, to be particularly tragic. One little error caused a great deal of hardship and certainly placed a heavy burden upon him, especially since it had definitely affected his family as well. The only issue I had with this documentary was that it contained some rather irrelevant details.
After seeing the terrible conditions that North Koreans have to face yet still have no choice but to remain in their leader's iron grip for every moment of their lives, I am more appreciative of the government system we have here in the United States and the freedom it grants us. I now better understand how important it is for the United States to be active in aiding foreign countries. This documentary was both enlightening and moving; it effectively captures the true form of a country under authoritarian rule. For anyone who has doubts about foreign affairs, I highly suggest that you watch this.
September 10, 2012
The reporter woman who was so excited to show us north korea thought she was being clever by secretly recording a propaganda documentary about their country. Well now all the handlers that were supposed to prevent that have been killed and their families are in concentration camps. As well as the family she stayed with. Nice one national geographic!
½ September 5, 2009
Inside North Korea is an informational documentary which deals with various elements such as North Korea's secret society, the respect for the leader, the strict media, the relationship with South Korea, etc. This documentary is very entertaining and informative but sometimes diverts off the topic. But, it truly makes an impact on the viewer with its stunning information.