Insidious Reviews

March 15, 2011
review coming.
July 31, 2014
I don't usually do horror movies, but this one was actually pretty good, even if I did spend a great amount of time talking and yelling at the TV to distract myself from potential jump scenes.
April 2, 2011
Insidious is the equivalent of a haunted house theme park ride. Frequent jump scares abound, most of them quite effective. By the time the ending roles around, you aren't as scared as you were when the film started (the third act goes into hyper-drive with effects overload), but if you're looking for a fun horror flick to watch, Insidious works.
April 23, 2011
A couple months ago I got a copy of part 2. About 30 minutes in I fell sleep because I didn't remember a darn thing about the first movie, and had zero interest. So I waiting til I could get both movies and watch them back to back. This movie holds up extremely well! The sequel pales in comparison and this is one of the 5 best horror movies of the last, probably 10 years. Here's my original review:

Good,old fashion,original scary movie. James Wan,who directed the first" saw" continues to show his knack for a good horror movie. Starts out like any other haunted house movie,but has a few twists that really seperates it. One thing I really liked was it showed the demon doing the haunting,and he looks pretty badass. Right now the only real horror movie options are remakes or bad sequels,which really makes this stand out. Emily already warned me that she is gonna have nightmares, doubt she'd say that about" scream 4".
April 10, 2011
A fun horror movie. It had a nice variety of freaky stuff going on. Sort of a modern version of Poltergeist with malevolent spirits abducting one of the kids of the family and high-tech psychics being brought in to investigate. There are plenty of twists and jump scares. I like the depiction and exploration of the spirit dimension. The nature and variety of the demons keeps things interesting. Lin Shaye stole the show as the lead psychi. The ending was unforgettable and led nicely to the inevitable sequel.
August 30, 2013
I don't like many new horror movies, but this was good. Sure, it was a lot like Poltergeist. But it stands out on its own with the strangeness of the supernatural world it creates. There are some very good scares, the story is good, and the actors are pretty good too. I liked it.
March 28, 2011
Unlike many horror films today, this film pays a little more attention to the story, rather than rallying on cheap jump scares. Sure, the film is filled with jumps around every corner, but the spiritual feeling that surrounds the film is terrific and kept sending chills down my body. This film really made me believe the message it was trying to get across. The film builds tension as more and more terror begins to happen through their homes throughout the film, and when answers become clearer and clearer, the film becomes much more genuine. There are a few things that I could not ignore though, which is definitely the fact that the script felt a little lazy when the characters had nothing relevant to say, and the pacing in the final act was a little sloppy. That being said, the rest of the film is great and I applaud the filmmakers for accomplishing something that is very hard to do these days, which is make a good horror film. I cannot wait for Chapter 2!
July 16, 2011
A riveting horror movie from the minds of James Wan and Leigh Whannel detailing the terrorizing of a family (headed by Patrick Wilson and Rose Bryne), whose son (Ty Simpkins) falls under a suspicious coma, and as a result the house they reside in is haunted by disturbing forces. I have to admit this movie caught me by surprise. I didn't expect it to be that scary, given it's PG-13 rating, nor did I expect the amount of scares to hit on such a heavy frequency, and as a result this is the best PG-13 horror movie since "The Ring" (which is very hard to do, seeing PG-13 horror films are limited in their blood-and-guts output). The acting is uniformly outstanding, most notably Lin Shaye who is given the film's toughest task as a ghost-expert granny, and she comes in and steals the film. A lot of critics complain that the third act falls apart, which I don't understand completely. To me, it is just as suspenseful and enthralling as the first two acts. I'm glad to see Wan is back in top form here, it's been a while since he showed his balls directing a gritty film like "Saw", but this is just a terrifically conceived film that borrows from "The Poltergeist", "Twin Peaks", "The Exorcist", and "The Shining", but is able to still somehow stay on its own feet at the end as a phenomenal ride and an outstanding movie as a whole.
April 20, 2013
I clearly must have missed something, because for the life of me I cannot understand why anybody would give this more than three stars.
½ March 30, 2011
Aussie director Jamie Wen and actor-writer Leigh Whannell are back since Saw. Forsaking the blood, gore and splintered bones of their multi-million dollar series for a modern-day Poltergeist, the two-man horror film factory want to scare your socks off, not empty your stomachs.
Beautifully created atmospherics set viewers on edge, but the subsequent storyline - a family spooked by moving furniture and a young child ghost-napped by a malevolent spirit - has been done to death.
Rose Byrne and Patrick Wilson are excellent as the distraught parents but, despite what is happening to their son Dalton (Ty Simpkins), there is a distance between us and the sinister shenanigans. If you are looking for more substance to go with your terror, look elsewhere, because Insidious is a shallow "boo!" creation.
½ September 20, 2011
A good film with some good scares but not something I'd suggest to hard core horror fans.
January 11, 2012
Watching this movie alone in your room while the lights are off and you're home alone...not my brightest moment. Insidious is about a couple who moves into a new house and when their son falls in a coma, weird stuff starts to happen. It turns out that the kid is being stalked by a demon, more or less. The trailer for the movie makes the movie look like any other generic horror movie in the past, but Insidious ends up being more than that. First off, there's something really creepy about the mood of the movie. The house the family moves in has a really weird feel to it, almost like you know it's not the place you want to live in. The movie has a really creepy atmosphere, but how does it do when it comes to scares? It does really well surprisingly. I think that the director did a great job of building suspense. Everything just builds up to something and whenever something happens it doesn't let down. I actually have a friend who said one of the dumbest things about I've ever heard about horror movies. His exact quote was "Suspense is stupid, jump scares are better because they get you to jump." I'm sorry, but whoever thinks that is an idiot. Suspense is the feeling of not knowing and being anxious to see that happens and this movie absolutely delivers on that. The soundtrack for the movie is also really creepy. It's mainly violins screeching their asses off, but it's not just in random spots. It plays when something genuinely scary happens and the parts where there's no violins, there are songs by Tiny Tim. I'm gonna be honest, If I ever hear Tiptoe Through the Tulips again, I will immediately think back to this movie. This may be a minor spoiler to those who haven't seen the movie yet, but it's minor, so it might not matter. The demon is actually shown in full form in the movie. At first he appears as a silhouette and stuff like that, but then he's shown and he looks a lot like Darth Maul from that crappy Star Wars prequel. The demon was creepy though. I was surprised at how much I was ok with the demon being shown because I usually don't like when scary movies show what's terrorizing people. That's part of what made Paranormal Activity so scary; the not showing of the demon helps because it's only as scary as your mind makes it up to be. The only thing the movie suffered from was the third act of the movie. The ending was kind of confusing to me and I think the suspense started to let down. I would've liked a better third act, but Insidious is a horror movie worth watching if you're sick of all the cliches. It's scary and it stuck with me after it was over. I was lying in bed and I tried my best not to look into dark corners, but the slightest sound got me paranoid and I can praise the movie for being a really well done psychological horror flick.
Nikhil N.
April 30, 2011
Frightening and interesting, holds your attention throughout but slowly loses its charm as the demons reveal themselves to look like knock-off masked characters with poor special effect editing making their movements seem like we were playing a video game. Still a solid film, I recommend it to anyone who loves a good scare once in a while, and much better than some of the other junk the industry is putting out.
August 17, 2011
James Wan is slowly becoming one of horrors finest young directors. With a string of solid horror films under his belt, James Wan is one of the most talented directors in the genre today. After such films as Saw and Dead Silence, Wan delivers Insidious, a truly terrifying horror film. While most films in the horror genre nowadays are remakes, Insidious is a refreshing take on the traditional formula. The story is nothing new, but it works so well due to a strong script, great acting and directing. Insidious is a treat for old school horror fans looking for genuine scares and jolts. This film is one of the most frightening films that I've seen in the past few years. Although not perfect, Insidious is a smartly crafted horror film that leaves you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. This film proves that clichés sometimes do work, and work well because of James Wan's effective directing and good storytelling. Most directors use overdone clichés to tell their story, and it fails miserably. This is not the case with Insidious; James Wan uses the traditional horror clichés to his own advantage. This film ends up being one of the most memorable and creepiest horror flicks in the last ten years. If you're a fan of traditional ghost stories, then pick this one up. Blending haunted house elements with other supernatural elements, Insidious is a terrifying thrill ride that is sure to scare the living hell out of you. A truly unique take on old school horror, and one that works brilliantly well.
February 15, 2012
I'm not one to get scared or jumpy at a movie at all, and to me, "The Exorcist" was never scary at all and mega overrated. But..."Insidious made me jump a few times and I found it to be gripping throughout, but especially the latter half. Scariest movie I've seen in several years, or maybe ever. Full of interesting twists too...everyone has their own opinion, but I can't see how any horror film fan can think of giving this < 4 stars!
January 17, 2012
Possibly one of the scariest movies I have seen in the past few years. It is very well directed, avoiding the easy clichés and maintaining a constant tension instead of going for the cheap scares. It is always great to see a smart horror movie that really knows how to scare the hell out of the viewers.
Tired of Previews
January 15, 2012
Directed by James Wan, Film District, 2011.

Starring: Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, Ty Simpkins, Lin Shaye and Barbara Hershey.

Genre: Horror, Thriller.

Question: How many times do you watch a movie, expect it to be scary and then it does not live up to it's expectations? Well, for me - not that often because horror movies really scare me without really having to try all that hard. But I watched Insidious tonight and it started out good (scary) and then sort of waded into the ridiculous.

My son decided one day he wanted to watch a scary movie and being the fantastic mother I am, I at first freaked out, because I am a big wimp when it comes to the horror genre, I complied. Then I asked him which movie he would like to see (secretly hoping it wasn't too scary). "Insidious. My friends keep talking about it and how much they liked it." My thoughts were not good ones only because my son's friends are 12 years-old who appear to handle the scare factor okay, unlike moi.

Insidious started out really well, as scary movies go. There was little dialogue and not a ton of overly scary music playing which made the story more plausible. The family, who had just moved into their new home, portrayed a "real" family. A mother of three, who stays home and works on her music when she can, and a husband who at first appears caring and kind. The mother, played by Rose Byrne, did a good job showing what it is really like to be a mom - hair up, no make-up, kids needs come first and when any time is left over - time for herself. And more importantly, she is home all day long and multitasking: cooking, cleaning, unpacking, organizing, taking care of the children, etc...and then soon witness to odd happenings.

The house starts to show signs of a haunting, simply and subtly at first. This is where 'this' mother started to get pretty scared (and pathetic). By this point my son is also scared but we struggled on-wards with the story.

Noises in the house increase, items move on their own and a glimpse or two of a ghost pops up just to make my heart beat faster. Then one of the children in the house slips into a coma, and I am intrigued with where the film-makers are taking the story. Although soon after there is more dialogue and something shifts. I found the cadence or the rhythm of the acting falter, and even thought it was bad at a point or two. But I brushed that aside because what worked in the beginning came back: lack of talking, more bumps in the night and an increase of sudden glimpses of more ghosts. Then there is another shift as the story unfolds more.

Slowly I started to recall a film that scared the bejesus out of me when I was 12 years-old: Poltergeist. By the middle of the story it was very hard to NOT compare this movie to the haunted house classic. There weren't any clowns, or fuzzy TV screens or scary looking children-eating trees, but when a woman and her crew show up at the house to discover and document the activity and why the son was in a coma, it was virtually impossible not to see a connection. This is where the movie lost me and I found the rest of the story insincere. I was no longer terrified but bored. It did have a twist at the end but even that didn't scare me.

So, what did I learn here today? Well, it's hard to create a horror story that is really scary, and that perhaps I am not a big chicken after all. Go ahead and rent Insidious because I do think the first half was good just don't expect greatness in the second half. Although one scene actually made me scream out loud suddenly. The editor of this film was brilliant in their way of increasing the scare factor in this film.

My favorite part: That's hard to say since this was a horror - but the editing was really well done.

My least favorite part: That I was almost forced to make a comparison to another movie.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 103 minutes

Review: 4 out of 10

P.S. Alright I have to confess one thing. I said Insidious was not all that scary while watching. However, when I went to bed, after writing the majority of this review, I had a sudden memory of one of the scary elements.Then I realized I AM a chicken as I remembered the light switch was 12 feet away and I was too scared to get out of bed to turn it on.
½ June 9, 2011
A decent paranoid, creepy, old school haunted house film....that then becomes an old school possession film. It starts well and is genuinely creepy and jumpy. The second half of the film changes direction somewhat and has an almost fairy tale feel to it. Not bad for a 12a rated horror film.
½ September 19, 2011
The way this film had been publicised and talked about I was expecting to have many a sleepless night ahead of me, but unfortunatley I think I will sleep as sound as ever. A real old school horror movie, about not only possession but hauntings as well, it wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be and did have an original take on an old story, with a very interesting end. However the demon and ghosts were comical, almost theatrical, and the pacing of the film seemed off. Not a terrible movie, but definitely not one that you'll need the lights on to watch.