Will this be a worthy sequel to the first Insidious?

James Wan is involved with this sequel so I can already tell its going to be a very slow burn, frightening film. I love everything he does. I'm thinking though that this film wont be as successful as the first am probably get a mid to high %50.
justybear96
03-5-2013 07:45 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Neal C Murphy

Neal C Murphy

This poor synthesis of edit room cuttings just does not make it. Parts actually so boring and confusion I fell asleep.(In a ghost story!) It was nothing more than an unimaginative crazy quilt of hackneyed scenes from numerous other meritorious films over that last 50 years.Save you money. See "Riddick" instead.

Sep 15 - 09:37 PM

hedyesr

Hedye Sanchez Ruiz

The first one was my favorite horror movies in a long time. So when I went to Insidious: Chapter 2 I just allowed myself to be sucked into the world of Insidious. I enjoyed it and let the movie guide me through it. Although there were a bit of eh parts, I still enjoyed it!I personally think it was not scary( I have seen so many I think I am immune to them now), but I loved the story. I rather have a good story then a crappy scary movie.

Sep 15 - 05:24 PM

Chase The Lost

Chase: The Lost Trollfighter

What is the appeal? I'll never understand this.

Sep 15 - 08:33 PM

Yavin

Ben Mk

The Chapter 2 in the title was actually very on point in this case. It really feels like a worthwhile continuation of the first film. More here: http://bit.ly/1awVAVV

Sep 14 - 10:24 PM

Roman Zolanski

Gaylord Focker

"Wilson's new role is that of stock Lifetime-movie aggressor, veering between tortured monologues and ham-fisted apologies to the hysterical Byrne, who stumbles through the film like a Mr. Magoo caught in cobwebs." A movie that inspires that quality of put-down can't be all bad

Sep 14 - 08:05 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

One word: ANUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!

Sep 13 - 07:41 PM

Tanya Garrigues

Tanya Garrigues

Saw it last night, I thought it was very well done. It wasn't really scary, but it was entertaining and I felt for the characters. Compared to some other horrible horror movie sequels, this was pretty good. It explained everything happening and connected both of the movies. It was very entertaining I thought.

Sep 13 - 11:14 AM

Chase The Lost

Why do you need everything explained? Don't you think the unknown is more frightening?

Sep 13 - 02:16 PM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Main point is that, IT WASN'T SCARY.

Sep 13 - 07:58 PM

Who am I

The Most Interesting Tut in the World

NO! The concept is getting tiring.... not a true horror film

Sep 13 - 02:32 AM

Rocket

Rocket Raccoon

Never a big fan of horror movies so I might say yes.

Sep 12 - 04:20 PM

Dominic Santiago

Dominic Santiago

It's 48% right now: "Despite strong performances and a few effective scares, Insidious: Chapter 2 is decidedly short on the tension and surprises that made its predecessor so chilling".

Sep 12 - 03:06 PM

Ryan Gennett

Ryan Gennett

Ok, to start off, critics really don't like horror movies, especially really scary ones. Good horror movies get 50-65% typically, atleast as of late. This is a sequel of a good scary movie, and after about some early reviews it's at 50%. Sounds like a good horror movie sequel to me. If you like the first one, see this. If you didn't, then don't.

Sep 12 - 11:38 AM

Chase The Lost

This is false generalization. Did you find The Conjuring to be scary?

Sep 12 - 02:02 PM

Ryan Gennett

Ryan Gennett

No, but it was a very good movie. I counted 3 good jump moments, but nothing really scary. And I don't think so, critics don't give all that great of scores to horrors or comedies, in general.

Sep 12 - 02:26 PM

Chase The Lost

Do you critique horror movies by the scare sequences? I agree that critics aren't as forgiving of horror films but they have been generous with them recently even though they suck. Sorry, dude, but The Conjuring was awful and You're Next was even worse.

Sep 12 - 02:37 PM

Nicholas Moody

Nicholas Moody

Both The Conjuring and You're Next were good. This has been a strong year for horror films.

Sep 12 - 04:14 PM

Chase The Lost

^false^

Sep 12 - 04:21 PM

Ryan Gennett

Ryan Gennett

No they we're both good films. Enjoyable and atmospherically creepy (enough). They just weren't scary, except to the faint of heart. (maybe not you're next, that was just pure humor)

Sep 13 - 12:44 PM

David Park

David Park

Hey Ben Affleck leave the opinions alone and focus your ass on the Man of steel sequel. Better make the performance amazing

Sep 13 - 04:14 PM

Ryan Gennett

Ryan Gennett

lol

Sep 13 - 07:15 PM

Chase The Lost

Hey, leave my performance out of this. My name is Ben fucking Affleck and I will blow your mind as the Caped Crusader. You got any pot?

Sep 13 - 09:50 PM

Davis Clark

Davis Clark

The Conjuring had plenty of people jumping and even if it didn't scare you, only a moron would deny that it was really well done.But hey i guess that defines you doesn't it?

Sep 14 - 08:31 PM

Chase The Lost

The Conjuring was poorly written, the acting was a joke (with the exception of Vera's performance), and the scares have been used 10000000 times before in a horror film. Only a moron would still be entertained by the same recycled clichés we've seen for several decades. But, hey, I guess that defines you, doesn't it?

Sep 15 - 08:00 AM

Roberto Cortez

Roberto Cortez

False. If a horror film gets a 50-65% does not mean it's good. It means it's mediocre or bad. As for Insidious. In my opinion it sucks.

Sep 13 - 10:16 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

Yep, critics don't like horror movies. Hence why Night of the Living Dead, The Exorcist, Psycho, Rec, Nightmare on Elm Street, Suspiria, Halloween, Nosferatu, Dracula, and The Shining all have rotten scores on Rotten tomatoes

.....oh wait

Sep 15 - 03:11 PM

Jed

Jed Groff

I wasn't crazy about the first film, but I'll see this in theaters anyway.

Sep 12 - 09:10 AM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Poltergeist remake part 2.

Sep 11 - 08:20 PM

Shelby Vicino

Shelby Vicino

Doubtful.

Sep 10 - 04:15 PM

Tubby T.

Tubby Tubbington

Well, there are ways that this could improve upon the first Insidious, and ways it could demolish the series. I think a lot of people were caught off guard with how Insidious ended, and I think that's why several people disliked it (and I do acknowledge that the ending was a tad cheesy). So now critics and movie goers who saw the original might know what they're getting into.

I, personally, don't think this will live up to Insidious 1 (which is one of my favourite movies), but it sure does look quite frightening.

Sep 9 - 07:34 PM

Ryan Moran

Ryan Moran

Did people actually like Insidious? I don't think i jumped once and i definetly wasn't intrigued by the story or acting. And the trailer looks terrible in my opinion (mind you i am a huge fan of the conjurinng so it isn't like i don't like james Wan)

Sep 9 - 12:53 PM

Roman Zolanski

Gaylord Focker

I'm with you...totally overrated. Fact is there hasn't been a quality horror since Drag Me to Hell and even that was nothing but a virtual scene-for-scene remake of Night of the Demon! (A glaring fact which almost everyone either avoids or inexplicably doesn't realise..) There have been a few almost good horrors but nothing has quite measured up.

Sep 9 - 06:41 PM

Shelby Vicino

Shelby Vicino

I liked it. Didn't love it, and the demon looked like Darth Maul.

Sep 10 - 04:16 PM

Roman Zolanski

Gaylord Focker

I'm not a fan of Mr. Maul so that likeness is not a virtue for me...For an alternate take on the dream scenes in Insidious please see the start of part one of Doctor Who 19X3, "Kinda".

Sep 14 - 08:10 PM

Roman Zolanski

Gaylord Focker

Besiiiiides... the demon doesn't look like Darth Maul, but rather a certain other Darth....namely, Darth N. Sidious ;)

Sep 15 - 05:05 PM

Jay Sanchez

Jay Sanchez

Looks scary. Haven't seen the first one but 90% of horror movies now are just gory and have no suspense. Is that true with the first one?

Sep 7 - 10:25 PM

Chase Reynolds

Chase Reynolds

No gore at all. The first Insidious was all story, slow build up, solid scares/payoff. I hope this one has the same feel but I doubt it will be as good as its predecessor.

Sep 8 - 08:34 AM

Jay Sanchez

Jay Sanchez

These scatter movies never are better than its predecessor but I feel like this one might. I mean I shouldn't jump to conclusions without seeing the first one but this looks like a fun scary movie

Sep 9 - 02:36 PM

Jay Sanchez

Jay Sanchez

*scary movies*

Sep 9 - 02:37 PM

Chase The Lost

It comes out tomorrow and there's no score yet. That means it's going to suck.

Sep 12 - 06:51 AM

Tommy South

Zack Snyder

No gore or suspense in the first one really.

Sep 9 - 09:09 AM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

50 million is good enough for Nolan. That was a signing amount. He got his share BEFORE the release of The dark knight. Studios don't pay anything to the director after release of the film. This happens with every director. Film's production budget includes director's fee too. BTW That's a poor excuse for making a sequel to shitty movie like The Conjuring .

Sep 7 - 04:09 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

should be. The first one was funny

Sep 6 - 09:38 PM

Bella #.

Bella #2

Seems Wan is doing a lot of sequels. Many great directors who love the projects they did have done sequels so I am not against it. However, I don't really enjoy horror movie sequels.

Sep 5 - 12:41 PM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Why he's making sequel to The Conjuring. That stupid movie wasn't even scary. Overhyped.

Sep 6 - 07:25 AM

Chase The Lost

Because he wants money.

Sep 6 - 08:59 AM

Bella #.

Bella #2

@Alex

Chris Nolan as a producer, writer, director of The Dark Knight (billion grossing movie) Only got 50million of the paycheck.

How much do you really think Wan is going to get for his little horror movie?

Even if he gets a nice amount he will get tax and any other way Hollywood works on him to take away his money. If you know how the system works you would know why actors like to get large sums of money because tax takes away almost 50% and after that, you have to pay some towards Hollywood. Well no fuck that this is all for the money not that he is a horror director and may want to work further on his projects.

Sep 6 - 12:49 PM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

50 million is good enough for Nolan. That was a signing amount. He got his share BEFORE the release of The dark knight. Studios don't pay anything to the director after release of the film. This happens with every director. Film's production budget includes director's fee too. BTW That's a poor excuse for making a sequel to shitty movie like The Conjuring .

Sep 7 - 04:11 AM

Chase The Lost

After reading about it, apparently a sequel to The Conjuring was already in the works before the release of the first film.

Sep 7 - 06:28 AM

Bella #.

Bella #2

Well it is his project and he does like ending movies on a cliff hanger. Let's see what he does before everyone on this site starts judging him as a person for random reasons. Which happens way to often. Also looking forward to fast 7?

Sep 7 - 04:11 PM

Chase The Lost

I never liked the Fast movies, so I just ignore them and keep to myself on that topic.

Sep 7 - 08:43 PM

Bella #.

Bella #2

Seems Wan is doing a lot of sequels. Many great directors who love one of the projects they did have done sequels so I am not against it. However, I don't really enjoy horror movie sequels.

Sep 5 - 12:40 PM

Christian Kneier

Christian Kneier

since its a james wan movie it will be just jumpscares pared with loud orchestra stings...

Sep 5 - 11:31 AM

Joseph  E.

Joseph Enoch

I have yet to see the first one. I remember Quentin Tarantino listed the first one as one of the worst films that year.

Sep 5 - 07:48 AM

Nicholas Moody

Nicholas Moody

Probably, it will be good.

Sep 3 - 02:57 PM

Adrian Freitas

Adrian Freitas

It feels like the first one which was a fantastic movie I cant see this one being great as the first. Just a one mans opinion though

Sep 3 - 12:09 PM

Kolya Denton

Kolya Denton

I just know this is going to be AWFUL... Mark my words.

Sep 2 - 01:33 PM

Chase The Lost

And now The Conjuring is getting a sequel. I don't think he's a one-trick pony, but he sold out. I don't have any respect for him anymore.

Sep 2 - 01:35 PM

AHorse NamedSadie

AHorse NamedSadie

So a sequel to the Conjuring is what makes you think he "sold out"? Not the 7 or 8 Saw films that came out every year. I can tell you're totally arguing for facts and totally not just trying to troll this thread

Sep 9 - 08:29 AM

Chase The Lost

I'm not a troll, dude. I love when ignoramuses like you think I'm a troll because I voice an unpopular opinion. The Conjuring (as retarded and overhyped as it was) didn't need a sequel. *CONJURING SPOILER* The Warrens insinuated that they were going to respond to a case in Long Island at the end of the film. And what is that case in Long Island? Amityville. Why is The Conjuring getting a sequel? Money, dude. Fucking money. People fall for hype and the ghostly haunting nonsense. That what makes money. That's why he sold out. You have an argument regarding Saw but I hope you realize that he only directed the first film.

Sep 9 - 09:21 AM

Tanya Garrigues

Tanya Garrigues

James Wan wasn't a part of the 7 or 8 Saw films that came after the first one...he only made the 1st one and after that someone else took over because he didn't want to make anymore...

Sep 13 - 11:15 AM

Tanya Garrigues

Tanya Garrigues

James Wan wasn't a part of the 7 or 8 Saw films that came after the first one...he only made the 1st one and after that someone else took over because he didn't want to make anymore...

Sep 13 - 11:15 AM

Chase The Lost

I'm very well aware of that. You must understand that Wan would have had to give permission for others to continue his project. That also means that we would have had to have received some sort of financial compensation (a.k.a "selling out").

Sep 13 - 02:21 PM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

I wan to suck your tits.

Sep 2 - 06:06 PM

Jerry Saltzman

Jerry Saltzman

Hopefully they keep the good stuff from Insidious and take out the stuff that didn't work. Insidious was awesome until the last bit, but the first half of that movie was scary as hell. I think I pooped pant.

Sep 2 - 12:23 PM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

That's weird.

Sep 6 - 07:27 AM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Nope. It is not a modern masterpiece. It wasn't even scary that much.

Sep 2 - 10:45 AM

Matthew German

Matthew German

It could be good, but I have a feeling it won't be. I'm willing to check it out though, I loved the first one.

Sep 2 - 08:30 AM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

The conjuring is a masterpiece???? You HIGH OR DRUNK dude ??!!

Sep 1 - 07:14 AM

Whisperwill28

christopher wallentine

I do not have high hopes for this one. The first half of Insidious was decent, but once the astro-projection nonsense kicked in, Insidious went downhill fast. And a Demon that looks like Darth Maul, should not scare anybody. Although based on James Wan's masterpiece the Conjuring, he might have directed something better here.

Aug 28 - 02:19 PM

Chase The Lost

In what way is The Conjuring a masterpiece? It's one of the most overrated horror films I've ever seen.

Aug 31 - 03:23 PM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

The conjuring is a masterpiece???? You HIGH OR DRUNK dude !!

Sep 1 - 07:14 AM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

The conjuring is a masterpiece????
You're Drunk, dude !!!

Sep 1 - 07:17 AM

Isaac Colon

Isaac Colon

I believe the Conjuring is a modern horror masterpiece, get real! please how good a movie has to be for you to be considered a masterpiece?

Sep 1 - 10:01 PM

Chase The Lost

It was recycled, clichéd, and nonsensical. It was an overhyped gimmick of a movie and you fell for it.

Sep 2 - 07:52 AM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Nope. It wasn't even a modern masterpiece. It wasn't even scary that much.

Sep 2 - 10:44 AM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Nope. It is not a modern masterpiece. It wasn't even scary that much.

Sep 2 - 10:46 AM

Cory German

Cory German

The Conjuring is a modern masterpiece in every sense. A film aspiring horror filmmakers should study for years to come.

Sep 3 - 12:05 PM

James Preston

James Preston

Agree. The Conjuring was a masterpiece.

Sep 8 - 11:28 PM

Whisperwill28

christopher wallentine

I do not have high hopes for this one. The first half of Insidious was decent, but once the astro-projection nonsense kicked in, Insidious went downhill fast. Although based on James Wan's masterpiece the Conjuring, he might have directed something better here.

Aug 28 - 02:17 PM

Liam Maresca

Liam Maresca

The cliffhanger at the end of the first one was gold. This movie looks to top the first one.

Aug 22 - 03:41 PM

Chase The Lost

False.

Aug 25 - 10:54 AM

Daniel Felesina

Daniel Felesina

It won't be as terrifying as The Conjuring, and may not live up to the first Insidious. However, I think it will be a worthy sequel to its predecessor.

Aug 4 - 12:45 AM

Eric Geyer

Eric Geyer

Insidious was possibly the worst horror movie I've ever seen, they should've just labeled it a comedy

Jun 30 - 07:24 PM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

You haven't seen many horror movies have you?

Jul 17 - 04:31 AM

Chase The Lost

You're truly a fucking imbecile.

Jul 18 - 07:08 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

I hope the red face demon comes into your bed and rapes you.

Jul 18 - 08:29 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

Worse than the Devil Inside (my asshole)

Aug 1 - 09:04 PM

Chase The Lost

The Devil Inside is actually your asshole? lol

Aug 2 - 07:21 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

I know. Lee doesn't think before he writes stupid shit.

Sep 2 - 08:49 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

no, that was an add-in.

Sep 2 - 06:07 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

Yeah, sure...

Sep 3 - 10:42 AM

Tanya Garrigues

Tanya Garrigues

You must have not seen a lot of horror movies then for example "I know what you did last summer"... now that was a piece of shit scary movie

Aug 22 - 03:44 PM

Chase The Lost

*gags* That was an abomination.

Aug 25 - 10:54 AM

Nicholas Moody

Nicholas Moody

*cough* A Nightmare on Elm Street remake *cough cough*

Aug 27 - 08:59 AM

Tayo Akomolede

Tayo Akomolede

I actually liked that movie though it wasn't scary.

Aug 28 - 11:35 PM

Nicholas Moody

Nicholas Moody

It was stupid.

Sep 2 - 02:18 PM

Roberto Cortez

Roberto Cortez

I think Psycho (1998) is worst.

Sep 13 - 10:18 AM

Dylan Bone

Dylan Bone

PG-13?

Jun 22 - 11:49 PM

John Tyler

J *

Probably a 59% at best.
"Although not as refreshing or as scary as its predecessor, Insidious Chapter 2 manages to not be a waste of audiences' time and money thanks to James Wan's intelligent direction, Leigh Whannell's atmosphere-driven script, and performances that shine all the way through."

May 12 - 06:56 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

Gayest consensus ever.

Sep 2 - 08:48 AM

Emile Szabo

Emile Szabo

James Wan is one of my favorite directors, however I believe that the conjuring will be better than this film... it seems that after the success of the first insidious, this will be mostly to make money.

May 9 - 11:50 PM

Jake Braden

Jake Braden

What a maroon!

Jun 6 - 06:19 PM

Joseph  E.

Joseph Enoch

"Maroon"? yeah, well, you're a magenta!

Sep 6 - 06:28 PM

Amanda Storey

Amanda Storey

Hard to say. I wouldn't have minded it ending the way it did and that would be that. Regardless of how well or poorly it will be received, if it makes enough money (and it will), you can expect a trilogy.

I just hope it isn't bad and/or doesn't take the Prometheus route with "o0o0o0o0o0o0o so many questions and so little answers!!!!!1 Stay tuned for the next installment!" No.

May 9 - 12:01 AM

Tony Eddard Stark

Tony Eddard Stark

I liked the first one. I have seen it a few times. Good to know they made a part 2. looking forward to seeing this.

Apr 25 - 12:15 AM

ballermat982

ballermat 982

I was actually slightly disappointed with the first one, though I think I had my hopes up too high cuz of the awesome trailer. I'm still looking forward to this though.

Apr 10 - 08:56 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

I don't really see where they could possibly take a sequel, the first one was just fine.

Mar 29 - 10:13 AM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

I want see more of the demon, a backstory about it would be cool.

Jul 14 - 02:17 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

You don't need that shit. Why does everything have to have a backstory? Just leave it be. The fact that it's shrouded in mystery just makes it all the more frightening.

Sep 2 - 08:48 AM

Chase The Lost

This is something else we can agree on.

Sep 2 - 09:34 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

Thanks. Maybe you're not such a bad guy after all.

Sep 3 - 10:42 AM

Chase The Lost

I never was. And believe it or not, there was a time when you and I were on the same page. I liked you at first. I just grew fed up with the childish accounts that you invented. Some of them were really funny but I just think you got out of control with them. John Abella was fucking hilarious, I admit.

Sep 5 - 11:15 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

John Abella?

Sep 7 - 04:32 PM

Chase The Lost

John Abella

Sep 7 - 08:42 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

Who the fuck is that?

Sep 11 - 02:54 PM

Chase The Lost

I'm not playing this stupid game, dude.

Sep 11 - 05:17 PM

Jed

Jed Groff

EMOD!!!!! You hath returned!!!

Sep 12 - 09:11 AM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

I never left.

Sep 12 - 01:19 PM

Jed

Jed Groff

I've missed you, man... I've missed you.

Sep 12 - 04:44 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Entertain Me Or TIE

Do you still like Battlefield Earth? Or have you come to terms with how sad your life is for liking it? Haha just fucking with ya how the hell've you been?

Sep 14 - 08:35 PM

André Lapa

André Lapa

I'll just be able to take a guess in the rotten tomatoes meter after i see some footage of the movie.

Mar 10 - 06:09 PM

justybear96

Justin Johnson

Meant *and probably get a mid to high %50

Mar 5 - 07:46 PM

Amanda Storey

Amanda Storey

I'm expecting the same. Wan/Whannell don't score highly on the Tomatometer anyway, especially with sequels. :/ It's a shame; I find them to be extremely talented storytellers.

May 9 - 12:02 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile