—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Inspector Gadget Reviews

KJ P

January 27, 2010
Unlike the original television show, this film fails to provide genuine gags and the "characters" are far too flat to even call them characters. Matthew Broderick is literally the only thing that makes this film enjoyable, as he adds depth to whatever may be on the screen in this atrocity of a film. I mean, it's not dreadfully bad, in fact, I do have fun with some scenes, but the overall impact always has me scratching my head as to how these "filmmakers" could have found this to be a good or even decent script. The dialogue is terrible, the acting is over-the-top, the visuals are average, and every single gag falls flat. Still, I had some fun with "Inspector Gadget."
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 18, 2011
Being a fan of the cartoon growing up, I was interested in seeing this. I saw it when it was released, and boy did it suck. This film really scraps the bottom of the barrel. The film has a paper thin plot, a pretty bad cast and above all, bad directing. The film is plainly stupid, and doesn't do anything to thrill the audience. This film is another poor attempt at making a film based on a TV show. Unfortunately the result is a film that is purely stupid. Upon watching this, all I wanted was my hour and twenty minutes back. The plot was bad, and the acting was plainly terrible. Inspector has no redeeming qualities, and you wonder how this crap got made. Aside from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Matthew Broderick hasn't done anything good since, and with this film, his career has sunk to a new low. Inspector Gadget is a terrible film that along with a few other family films such as Thunderbirds should be avoided. This film insults the intelligence, and I found it painful to watch. Inspector Gadget was something neat to watch when I was younger, but as a full fledged live action film, it fails to deliver anything good on-screen. This is one of the worst family oriented films that I have seen, and everything about it is terrible. The acting is awful, and it's understandable with a cast like this. Inspector Gadget doesn't entertain, it frustrates.
Matt G

February 8, 2011
Hated by critics and audiences upon initial release: Inspector Gadget will always be a guilty pleasure of mine.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 17, 2011
Inspector Gadget is a pathetic movie, but kids might like it, but im not a kid.
Marc L.
Marc L.

August 25, 2011
You know, I never saw the "Inspector Gadget" cartoon. I am 14, so it was WAY before my time. Maybe it was amazing, maybe it was gruesomly unfunny, I have no idea. What I do know was that the movie was down right awful. Not at all funny, horrible acting, completely unmenacing villain. It makes Matthew Broderick look even WORSE!

First of all, this is one of the most insanely unfunny movies I've ever seen. It's mostly bad slapstick and even WORSE 4th wall jokes. Seriously, these are some of the most godawful 4th wall jokes you will ever hear.

Matthew Broderick's acting in this movie has got to go down as some of the worst I've ever seen ever. He overacts and underacts, and his character comes across as incredibly annoying and uninteresting, especially when he tries to be heroic. Rupert Evrett was sadly disappointing as Dr. Claw, especially because he's usually a good actor. If you don;t believe me, go see Shrek 2 and Chronicles of Narnia. However, in "Inspector Gadget" his performance is completely overacted and out of control.

Remember when I said Broderick's character is annoying? He's not the only one. "Inspector Gadget" is chock full of incredibly annoying characters including a girl named Penny, Mayor Wilson, Claw's henchman Sikes and Kramer and worst of all...The Gadget Mobile. God, just saying it's name gives me shivers.

This movie also has pretty much no logic. For example, in one scene, the evil Dr Claw kidnaps Inspector Gadget, kills him, and throws him in a junkyard. 2 hours later, he is completely repaired and alive! And that's not NEARLY the end of it!

Few movies out there want to make me avoid a TV series as much as "Inspector Gadget". It is completely unredeemable, unlikeable and unfathomably idiotic. You'd be much better off watching the Nostalgia Critic's review.
Alexander D

August 22, 2011
INSPECTOR GADGET really isn't that great of a film. Sure, it has Matthew Broderick, who we know to be hysterically funny from FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF, but this one sort of misses its mark as a silly kids' movie.
michael e.
michael e.

January 3, 2011
its halfway decent
Jason O

September 10, 2009
When I was a kid, I used to watch Inspector Gadget the cartoon all the time, it was one of my favorites. Since I used to like watching the cartoons, I wanted to see this movie. From the previews for the movie, I thought it was going to be a good one. I just now watched the movie, and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.
The main reason I wasn't all that crazy about "Inspector Gadget" is because it's not all that much like the cartoon series. I noticed a lot of differences between the two. I'll mention just a few of the biggest differences. In the cartoon, Penny's hair is blonde, in the movie it's brown. In the cartoon, Penny uses a book to do several things, in the movie, she doesn't. Claw never shows his face in the cartoon, but in the movie he does. There are many other things that made the cartoon series original and entertaining that are either different or were left out of the movie completely.

Looking past the differences and things that were omitted, "Inspector Gadget" is a decent movie. It has its funny parts and it's fairly entertaining, but even with that, it's real short (an hour and twenty minutes), and nothing about it stands out. Overall, I give "Inspector Gadget" 2 stars. If you want to see a decent movie, I would recommend watching "Inspector Gadget" before you buy it. If you or somebody you know used to be or is a fan of the cartoon series, just don't expect the movie to be all that much like the cartoons. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. In a nutshell: a HORRIBLE adaptation of an amazing character and cartoon we all loved as children.
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 1, 2009
a great movie to put on so that your kids will shut the hell up but good for nothing else than a pacifier
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 19, 2008
Coolness
deano
deano

December 13, 2006
The film is further blessed with suitably heroic protagonists, fine flamboyant villains, and a director who perfectly understands the nature of this project. This one, to borrow one of its own phrases, is a wowser: lots of fun and wonderfully inventive.
Jennifer X

July 20, 2007
Gosh how lame. And awkward.
thmtsang
thmtsang

July 13, 2007
Good adaptation of cartoon.
skactopus
skactopus

April 13, 2007
I was a fan of the cartoon and this movie was nothing like it. First of all they showed Dr. Claw. Need I say more. I also felt that Matthew Broderick didn't match the role of Gadget at all. Michelle Trachtenberg did a pretty good job as Penny though.
garyX
garyX

April 6, 2007
One of those films I just don't understand the point of. Live action cartoons are always utterly painful, and this is no exception.
magnum32004
magnum32004

February 1, 2007
Fun-filled adaptation of the classic cartoon. Absolutely entertaining.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 3, 2007
is it possible that matthew broderick is even more nerdy than go go gadget himself
Jason S

December 28, 2006
Sorta funny.
Stuart B

October 3, 2006
Enjoyed it even tho the cartoon is 100% better
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Inspector Gadget is a pathetic movie, but kids might like it, but im not a kid.