Instinct - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Instinct Reviews

½ June 15, 2014
A scientist (Hopkins) goes completely native in Africa and needs some psych work before he can safely re-enter good ole society. Enter uber-mind probe types Gooding Jr. and Sutherland for some of that luscious brain squeezin' we all love so much. But wait just one goldurn minnit, is it the scientist who's bonkers ... or is it us?
Maura Tierney adds a warm touch to this predictable yet entertaining mangle that still succeeds (with a wink) because of the caliber of guns present.
July 26, 2009
Cast: Anthony Hopkins, Cuba Gooding Jr., Donald Sutherland, George Dzundza, Maura Tierney, John Ashton, John Aylward, Doug Spinuzza, Paul Bates, Rex Linn, Rod McLachlan, Kurt Smildsin, Jim R. Coleman, Tracey Ellis

Director: Jon Turteltaub

Summary: After a two-year stint living among a family of gorillas in the African jungle, anthropologist Ethan Powell (Anthony Hopkins) goes on a brutal rampage, killing two poachers. Imprisoned in a Florida mental institution, Powell becomes withdrawn, mute and animalistic. Psychiatrist Theo Caulder (Cuba Gooding Jr.) learns of Powell's condition and takes his case, hoping to unlock the reasons behind the scientist's behavior.

My Thoughts: "I can sum this movie up in one word, interesting. Nothing more. The story that is being told by Dr. Powell, is beautiful and tragic. Seeing what happens to the Gorillas was hard to watch. The acting and everything else was great. I definitely recommend this one."
November 14, 2009
Decent prison movie with Anthony Hopkins defending the apes and his fellow prisoners in the jail. Cuba is good too.
½ October 23, 2007
Love that Hopkins. The rest of it has all been done before. I'm a sucker for movies set in prisons.
½ August 15, 2009
While I was watching "Instinct," I noticed that it wasn't anything like any other movie I've ever seen. It's one of the most emotional and powerful movies ever made. I can't think of any others that even come close to the emotions that it has. I also haven't ever seen any other actor that can make just a typical drama or suspense movie feel like a compelling adventure like Anthony Hopkins accomplished in this movie. I can't say who I think the best actor is because there's so many great ones, but I have to say that after watching movies such as "Instinct," "Silence of The Lambs," and "Legends of The Fall," Anthony Hopkins is the first name that comes to mind when someone asks me who I think the best actor is. Cuba Gooding, Jr. is also a great actor and does one of his best jobs in "Instinct."
If you're looking for an action-packed action movie, don't get "Instinct." But if you like drama movies with a lot of suspense and you would like to hear a tale of how people can live (with animals) peacefully and without worries, then "Instinct" is definitely for you. It shows how a man is sent to prison for just taking care of his 'family.'

The only reason I can think of anybody not liking "Instinct" is that they either don't like this kind of movie, or they didn't understand it. Watch this movie closely and listen to every word and it'll grasp you and never loosen its grip until the last scene of the movie. NOTE: That was my review from the year 2000. This is an awesome movie to say the leats, and one that should get much more attention.
October 28, 2007
this is an ok movie
its set in a mental institute and gooding jr takes an interest in hopkins character and he wants to find out why he hasnt spoken for some time and why hes actually up set and for why he murdered those peoplebut it disappoints in so many aspects the storyline isnt great and yes you can understand that he loved his work and loved the monkeys and needed to protect them but to then become a reloose and not speak becuase of that event is just annoying !
November 25, 2007
Good movie. When a noted anthropologist who left society to live in the jungle is imprisoned for murder, it's up to young psychologist to get through to him.
½ October 19, 2006
An interesting tale, a story of trust and psychology. Not a huge fan of Cuba Gooding Jr, but he didn't do a bad job in this role as the psychiatrist. Hopkins providing another good performance,

VERDICT: Certainly worth watching, not on your gonna watch over and over though
½ January 18, 2011
Some of the philosophy is nice, and Cuba Gooding Jr isn't totally useless in this movie, but the film is still pat and won't appeal to a wide audience.
July 6, 2007
Good film. Great performances by Cuba Gooding Jr., Anthony Hopkins, Maura Tierney, Doug Spinuzza, and John Ashton. Good performances by Donald Sutherland, George Dzundra, and John Aylward. Great cinematography. Poetic ending. Overall it's a powerful drama which makes you think about mankind and his dominion... "We have only one thing to give up. Our dominion. We don't own the world. We're not kings yet. Not gods. Can we give that up? Too precious, all that control? Too tempting, being a god?"
November 1, 2007
Even though this smacks of "give me another oscar" by Gooding, and even though it blatantly rips off Shawshank three times - including the scene in the rain, and even though it's once again Anthony Hopkins imprisoned and playing with peoples minds. Even after all that it is still enjoyable - though simple, and it does avoid a potentially very easy love story that most writers would chuck in. Flawed, but watchable.
½ March 6, 2014
A deep and interesting psychological movie with great acting from Anthony Hopkins and Cuba Gooding Jr. (First and only viewing - 11/9/2014)
½ June 21, 2013
How sad to hear Oscar winners Hopkins and Gooding,Jr. utter melodramatic dialogue during most of their scenes together.
April 3, 2012
A rather dull story that just didn't resonate with me at all. I love Cuba and he does a fine job here and Hopkins is always on top of his game but Instinct never seemed to go anywhere. The writing tended to be a bit cheesy and the story seemed to be recycled from numerous other prison movies...the only thing that seemed original was the gorilla back story which almost seemed out of place. Not sure I would recommend this to anyone but I wouldn't go out of my way to tell someone not to watch it either.
½ August 17, 2009
Great story of how a person could really let go of civilization and set themselves free from the routine, the rules, the pressure, resposibilities, and so on. Sometimes life itself can be so annoying and act as a parasite eating at our souls, leaving people with the desire to disappear and run away, far away to find a better place... this movie is a beauty in showing us that we, people, can learn so much from animals and nature, if we really pay attention are let ourserlves be taught the simple things of life that are the greates traesures of all times...
Like in the movie, letting the rain fall and getting wet, the anthropologist really let loose and enjoyed his time with the gorillas who freed him from the closed mind he had of every aspect of life. Control doesn't give you happiness, it only ruins and spoils the spirit and mind.

LOVED IT!!!!!!
Anthony Hopskins does a great job like always and Cuba Gooding Jr. is also a great actor :D
½ August 12, 2009
This was a very powerful movie - The relationship between the two men revealed that with trust, we can free ourselves of painful things we lock away deep within us. Understanding and compassion makes this movie!!
January 27, 2007
Probably my favorite movie of all time. It touches me in a very deep place, no matter how many times I watch it.
½ October 3, 2008
Hopkins, if I remember correctly is good as is Cuba but this movie is clearly...very forgettable. I don't even know what to rate it so I'll go by memory.
July 27, 2008
Wow, this was a really weird movie but it was so good. It was very intresting and it had powerful quotes and thoughts. Anthony Hopkins was a number one choice to play Ethan. It was very sad to see the gorillas killed and kept in cages but it had a powerful message about freedom. I like the guy who said that the lady with the "demon" in her, had a "demon" that looked that Sigourney Weaver. I liked when Ethan escaped at the end and went to the jungle to live with gorillas.