Interiors Reviews

August 14, 2010
Allen's most serious film up to this point was the year's previous "Annie Hall," which wasn't nearly as dramatic as this. Veering headfirst into the realm of Chekhovian drama, Allen tells the story of three repressed sisters who are all dealing with their parents' separation in different ways. Each has their own burden to bear: one is young and impressionable, another is pretentious about her own work and it's affecting her marriage, and another is stuck between caring for a mother she despises and pleasing a father who frequently lets them all down. Time moves at a quick, fluid pace, much like a Chekhov's work; which was the direct inspiration for this film. There's also only diegetic music, and often Allen uses long takes of silent scenes of nature, especially waves crashing against the beach. Though this film is assured and crafted carefully, it doesn't engage in the same way as Allen's other works. It's such an astringent film, that there's little room for humor or joy. Every character feels so repressed that it's almost unrealistic. Their severity of character hampers the film by trying too hard, and not being completely realistic.
January 1, 2012
The darkest and coldest Woody Allen film I've seen to date. It's high drama, courtesy of Ingmar Bergman. The sophistication is less polished than in Match Point, and rightfully so, since the cracks in this family's veneer are more due to internal turmoil (duh, the title) than external affairs and atmospheres. I love all the silence and noise: the angry scratches of pencil on paper, the sticky screech of unrolling duct tape on window cracks.

Although some commenters on IMDb are not fond of Diane Keaton's performance, I think she (and Geraldine Page) present an acting master class. Renata's first monologue just floors me. Keaton's eyes skitter just enough - to her therapist (I'm assuming), to her hands, to the window - to reveal the insecurity that she dare not show often as the eldest child. She uses her cigarettes well too. She holds it nervously in the aforementioned monologue, and in the scene in which the father (played by Juror #4!) reveals his plans to strike out on his own, she ashes her cigarette by rolling it lightly repeatedly - not letting it go out - bored but listening, almost as if she expected the news and doesn't altogether blame her father for it.

Since new Flixster doesn't allow comments on friends' reviews, I'd like to address a qualm Ryan Hibbett voiced in his review about how it's never explicitly shown or stated that Eve came to the beach house the night she kills herself. I do believe there is a shot of her, standing in the shadows as Joey speaks to her. Joey senses her mother there without seeing her, but Eve really IS in the house.
blkbomb
½ December 27, 2011
Joey: I feel the need to express something, but I don't know what it is I want to express. Or how to express it.

Interiors isn't your average Woody Allen film. It is a true drama, which you can't say about all that many Allen films. There is very little humor here and the humor that is in there, is between sophisticated people, about sophisticated subjects. Every single one of these characters is unlikable with only one exception, Pearl. This family is just so fucking bitchy. That is all they do, bitch. Joey has to be the most unlikable realistic woman character I have ever seen.†

She is the very definition of the word bitch. She has no real creative talent, yet all she wants to do is create something. One of her sisters(Renata) is a writer, the other(Flynn), an actress. Joey bitches day and night to her boyfriend(Michael) about how great her sisters are. Then she quits every job she gets because it isn't pleasing to her. The only reason I don't like Michael is because he puts up with her. You know he is going to end up marrying her in the future and then something like the events in this movie is going to play out. The event I'm talking about is the divorce of the three sisters parents. If you see and listen to the mother, it is no real surprise why the father wanted to divorce her.

The film is extremely well acted and shot, but this isn't my idea of a good movie. It is just way to dull. The only way to describe this movie, is being stuck at you grandma's house with no tv and it is raining outside. The characters, when they aren't bitching, talk about the most uninteresting things, like interior design and their latest book that didn't do well.

Despite how much I dislike it, I still found it easy to watch because Allen's writing is pretty good and the actors all do a good job bringing to life their ugly characters. It isn't a movie I would ever watch again, but every Woody Allen movie deserves one viewing.
½ April 24, 2007
Strong ensemble piece lost between Annie Hall and Manhattan in Woody Allen's prolific career, with none of the humour that either of those landmarks is known for, Interiors is a realist, heavily psychologized film that is well made and convincing. You won't exactly enjoy watching it, though.
March 31, 2011
It's...so...DOUR. All these people do is mope. If Interiors was an hour and a half of this depressing family contemplating their lives and problems, then it would have been a complete disaster - a highly literate one, mind, but something tonally flat and bereft of any dynamic or dramatic impetus. Maureen Stapleton is the film's saving grace, a deceptively observant burst of vigor introduced at about the halfway mark. She shakes this stultified, miserable social unit right to its core. Though the costume design, placing her in vibrant reds and pinks to contrast with the oppressive beiges and grays she's surrounded by, does her subtlety no favors, she immediately paints a portrait of a woman who knows what's going on but is too considerate to call anyone out for it. Stapleton aside, the acting is uniformly excellent, and Woody Allen does an excellent job of unfurling each characters' challenges and neuroses through the course of the narrative. This is a difficult film to get through, though, both as a Woody Allen piece (his trademark incisive humor is almost totally absent) and as a suffocating chamber drama - enter at your own risk.
stevenecarrier
November 29, 2010
One of Woody Allen's true, unadulterated dramas. "Interiors" is good for the simple fact that it has great actors delivering great lines in monologue. Gordon Willis' camera creates a nicely claustrophobic atmosphere. This is certainly melodrama, but it's well crafted, psychologically engaging melodrama.
½ May 21, 2007
Every bit as depressing and well crafted as you'd expect from a Woody Bergman film
½ May 25, 2008
Certainly had more than a little Bergmanesque feel about it. Woody got the atmosphere right but slopped it over too liberally so the entire movie felt too repressive and dysphoric. He wasn't trained to do a film like this after such a short while but he makes a good go at it. His best characterization was that of Mary Beth Hurt's, who had so much soul but no outlet to let it out. I think it was because I identified with her.
jjnxn
June 20, 2007
exceptional talent involved but dreary almost suffocating until Maureen Stapleton shows up
November 4, 2013
An Allen film that is seldom mentioned. It pales in comparison to Annie Hall but it is a very strong film thanks to the ladies involved.
zeravenyoej
January 4, 2009
Startlingly serious and exceptionally talky, this is not your typical Allen film. Well, let me rephrase that. The characters and situations are very Allen-esque. But instead of comic relief that can help the viewer ignore the tragedies and intense frustrations that the characters experiences, you are forced here to take them seriously. This may be the strongest acting I've seen in one of his films, excluding some broad comic roles (hello Dianne Weist). A somber, bitter experience.
½ January 19, 2008
Following Annie Hall, Woody Allen could have done anything, he choose something far more serious than his other films and he succeeds quite well. I think there are people who would find this film an exercise in boredom, but if you love character studies see this film. I think so much of what plays out is very real and the end is so sad and at the same time it gives real closure to the film.
July 14, 2014
Pretty good movie. Very sad, but very dramatic. Good acting, good story, pretty realistic. But, one thing about the movie is I did not find it very memorable. I don't remember very many memorable scenes or memorable dialogue.
½ July 8, 2012
I feel like I could sum up Interiors with the Philip Larkin lines "Man hands off misery to man, it deepens like a coastal shelf." Interiors is a fairly brutal human drama about miserable people making each other miserable, essentially. It may not sound like fun, and it isn't, but I think it's truthful. Or at least it's truthful in a well crafted way that isn't always truly realistic, but more dramatized like a play. The acting is mostly spot on, and I see why it has gotten so many compliments. Allen steps up with his direction here, transcending the invisible director feature of some of his films in favor of a contemplative, cold cinematic style. It fits the film, as this film is a cold one. I think at its core this film is about striving for something or anything to feel better, and feeling inadequate in lack of knowledge of what that is exactly. It's more an exercise in interesting situations and compelling drama than it is a loving and sympathetic portrait of struggle, but it works. Luckily, Interiors proves not all films need that human core.
January 4, 2012
Though it comes off with a bit of high air, Interiors is Allen‚(TM)s familial explorative follow-up to his Best Picture Annie Hall. The performances are the best part with Keaton, Waterston, Page, Jordan, Hurt, Griffith, and Stapleton all giving complex performances that morph into a wonderful ensemble. There are sequences that are marvelous, but I think Allen‚(TM)s writing here is a little self-aware of how acute he‚(TM)s looking at this family. Nonetheless, it‚(TM)s the cast and the wonderful framing/lighting that gives edge and depth to these characters and their story. Even when Woody‚(TM)s a little off (more-so in his later years than in here in the 70‚(TM)s and 80‚(TM)s where he was basically untouchable), he still manages to explore depths that most writers/filmmakers only can dream of.
½ August 14, 2007
Woody Allen's first very serious film. I personally like him most when he mixes comedy and drama, so this was a bit much for me. Good performances, but extremely bleak.
July 13, 2008
One of the classic three-in-a-row Woody Allen movies (along with "Annie Hall" before and "Manhattan" after). Allen's first dramatic film pays off perfectly with great performances, a consistent tone, and excellent cinematography.
½ June 27, 2007
excellent psychological study of a family in crisis; all vastly different but the bottom line is that they are all searching their souls & ultimately seeking unconditional love. Woody Allen directs & Geraldine Page is awesome as the mentally ill, suicidal Mom.
½ March 8, 2007
Not entirely successful, but still worth a look. The daughters seem phony and starched. But the older actors (Marshall, Page and Stapleton) present real and fascinating characters who realize the heartache and the possibilities of life. Page portrays a woman who has given everything for a family, a family who has abandoned and forsaken her. It is a scary and remarkable performance.
January 18, 2007
its about ppl who r upset about divorce. its got some crazy dialogue. their all confused but diane keaton is good!