—— Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Intermission Reviews

Alice S

July 15, 2012
Lots of great stories and plots and reveals and quirks and weirdnesses, but I can't say I remember much of it all.
Conner R

January 11, 2010
A very interesting ensemble drama. I loved a lot about most of the stories, but there were some that were not so great. It had a great sense of humor thrown in that was brilliantly played out by the actors. Cillian Murphy was definitely the standout, being a completely lovable loser.
Luke B

June 25, 2008
After one of the greatest and most unexpected openings to a film I've ever seen the film is off to a good start. It begins as though it may be some kind of Irish Mike Leigh film. Unfortunately it goes down a convoluted route of too many characters in an intertwining plot similar to Lock, Stock. The performances and execution are both brilliant. It's an impressive looking film with lots to like unfortunately there isn't a single character one can relate to. Rather than blurring the lines between good and bad most people are just scum or act in irritating ways. It hurts a film that's script is in dire need of surgery. Still it manages to nail dark/disturbing comedy.
Michael S

March 1, 2007
entertaining and witty Irish ensemble piece.
Al S

October 4, 2006
A fresh, stylish, funny, and furiously entertaining and original comedy. It pack's humor, crime, violence and love into one leathal dosage of Trainspotting meets Pulp Fiction. The cast is remarkable. One incrediably entertaining movie.
Aaron N

July 29, 2006
First there's Pulp Fiction, then there's Guy Ritchie movies, then some other stuff, then there's the Irish Pulp Fiction, this movie.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

May 13, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][color=green]"Intermission" is about a varied collection of people careening off each other in Dublin, with a small amount of coincedence added in for good measure. Among the collected individuals are a bus driver, brutal policeman, two supermarket workers and various women who were all jilted at one time or another. This kind of movie is hard to pull off at the best of times but here there is no focus. The script is especially weak on providing chracterizations. I found very little of this movie to be credible, with an emphasis on cheap humor, vulgarity and embarrassment. "Intermission" tries to be about the working class but it just seems to be about characters who cannot take orders from people in authority. It is a shame that the movie wastes an especially good cast including Kelly MacDonald, Colin Farrell(never better), Shirley Henderson and Colm Meaney. [/color][/font]
stevetheman1236
stevetheman1236

October 21, 2011
Intermission follows in the footsteps of many comedies before its time. It presents to us a handful of characters and their tales, and then proceeds to connect them together through a string of seemingly unrelated events.

It's clever in its own way, though. The characters are likable enough to catch our attention, the situations they are involved in are realistic and relatable, and on top of all of that, it's funny.

What I liked the most about Intermission is that it doesn't try to convince me that it was a great film. It did what I did and even though I may not have liked a particular scene or two, I enjoyed the film for its pure absurdity.

I also liked how honest it was. How honest its characters and the words they spoke were.
Daniel P

December 11, 2007
Despite the energy of the cast, there's not really much here worth bothering with. Intermission uses the then trendy device of characters that have connections with each other and plots that blur, merge, and dovetail. The problem is, none of the characters are especially interesting, the script equates comedy with liberal use of the words "fuck" and "cunt", and the storylines are weak and often as not don't go anywhere. Repeated jokes about brown sauce and moustaches wear out their welcome after 20 minutes and the film takes ages to end. Wearying.
Stephen E

November 29, 2011

mvieaddict
mvieaddict

January 30, 2009
Some movies are just awesome and great and some don't. and some of them fell just in between. Intermission fell in between for me. It was not an awesome and great movie, but it was not bad either.Director John Crowley was able to maintain a logical storyline despite having so many mixed characters and he was able to develop each character enough to make them interesting. In my opinion he could have sacrificed a couple of the minor characters to make the others richer. Acting was good, which was typical of European movies only I should have used the subtitle option, cause the Irish accents were so difficult to understand. The plot involved many characters in separate story lines, they were engaging and sometimes funny. Intermission would not be a movie that anyone will like, but it was interesting and worthy a watch.
Erin C

August 20, 2009
I really wanted to like this, but it was really stupid. Good cast, but it was so pointless and just not good.
banzaibrother
banzaibrother

July 20, 2009
Great movie! If you enjoy films that have interweaving storylines...then this John Crowley movie is for you. Crime, adultery, sexual dysfunction...and relationships that take an "intermission".
Adam M

June 24, 2008
A couples sudden break up seems to set off a chain of events in an irish town with dodgy police,small time crooks and seemingly normal people all getting caught up in some interesting moments that involve an affair,robbery,fighting,getting fired,documentry making and sexual frustration! Colin Farell and Cillian Murphy in particular give very good performances but overall the whole cast is good in this gritty,clever and funny film.
Chosen 7

June 27, 2007
Great film, alot of irony. One of the best independent films I've ever watched.
GabrielKnight
September 8, 2013
A darkly funny Irish ensemble piece. The intertwining stories are sometimes absurd but not particularly hard to follow, and the humor is great if you are not offended easily - the opening scene sets the tone. Excellent cast delivers superb performances, and the characters are likable enough to engage the viewer.
November 26, 2011
What intermission really tries to do is seduce you with its Shock value situations. A woman at the counter gets her face smashed up. There is a rebel chick who has a mustache and doesn't shave it. Colin Farrell is a thief who gets pissed on. Literally. There is a a duffer who can't shag anymore. Is it a good movie? I don't know. Did I like it? I don't know that either. But never for a second was I bored and fast forwarding. Try it at your own risk.
October 27, 2011
life and love Brit style as several stories intersect with mixed results the all star cast makes this one go.
November 29, 2009
I remember seeing this awhile ago and thinking it was great. I even had a mini-poster of it on my wall when I was 14. This is a strange movie, which yes, did remind me of Trainspotting... but it's its own thing...
luciddreamer13
October 5, 2008
Let's see... um. it was an interesting film that did stand all on it's own. There were quite a few entertaining moments as well as moments where I actually gasped from surprise. All in all it was a well played out film but I guess what kept me from liking it completely was that for some reason I found it hard to connect with a lot of the characters.

I enjoyed watching it none-the-less and recommend giving it a watch though. The lack of connection to the characters might have just been me... ;x