67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

Interstate 60 Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

August 27, 2009
Cast: James Marsden, Gary Oldman, Chris Cooper, Amy Smart, Ann-Margret, Christopher Lloyd, Jane Moffat, Amy Jo Johnson, Michael J. Fox, Mark Lutz, Kurt Russell

Director: Bob Gale

Summary: In this highly unusual road flick, a man (James Marsden) in search of answers to life's great mysteries takes his quest on Interstate 60, a make-believe freeway that leads him to encounters with a motley group of strange characters living in surreal roadside towns.

My Thoughts: "Not at all what I was expecting, which was a brainless roadtrip flick. Instead I got an thought provoking, mind bending, smart film. Completely the opposite of my first impression of the film. Guess the poster of a film can be very misleading. Anyways, this film has a really great mix of characters. There are many cameo's in this film by really great stars like Michael J. Fox, Gary Oldman, and Christopher Lloyd. A few others as well. Definitely see this film. It was a lot of fun."
Thomas J

December 18, 2010
Cute movie that feel like a combination of an after-school special and a Lifetime movie. I felt at times it had some new age message that my old aged brain was missing. Whimsical and enjoyable, but nothing to cry over if you have to wait to see it.
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
This movie rocked... funny, touching, sweet, glorious...
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 25, 2007
So good! It was a philosophical ride that didn't try to be too deep, instead it took a fun adventurous approach to it which I enjoyed. And you gotta love the back the the future cameos.
Mark A

January 8, 2010
Surprising fairy tale, with a beautiful princess in a dungeon and a handsome prince that comes to her rescue, metaphorically speaking. Surprising as this viewer spent the first third of the film scoffing at the premise and the obvious setup for what promised to be a formulaic, amateurish morality tale. However something magical happened as one gave up trying to analyze the tale critically and began to let the filmmakers unfold the story in their own fashion. This viewer found himself drawn into the story, and caring about the young man, Neal (James Marsden) and his quest to find answers for his life. The story took over, and hit all the right notes. Yes, it is somewhat sappy. Yes, the characters and the situations are beyond surreal. Yes, the morality play gets a little over-the-top preachy at times. But, in spite of the obvious drawbacks, this worked. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for this viewer. Lots of once prominent stars take a turn in this, and knowing who they are, (Christopher Lloyd, Ann-Margret, Michael J. Fox, Kurt Russell, et al) only increases the enjoyability quotient.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

September 16, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]In "Interstate 60", Neal Oliver(James Marsden) is a young man on the verge of one of two careers - either a lawyer or an artist - while working nights for a shipping company to make ends meet in Saint Louis.(His father wants him to be a lawyer.) He has also been having dreams of a beautiful blonde he has never met. At his birthday dinner, he makes a wish for an answer to his life. O.W. Grant(Gary Oldman, channeling Ray Walston) is more than happy to grant his wish. Neal is then employed by the mysterious Ray(Christopher LLoyd) to deliver a package to Danver which lies on Interstate 60...[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"Interstate 60" explores some interesting themes but they are hammered to death before being drop kicked off the Gateway Arch.(The movie has quite a lot to say about a person choosing their own path in life. But there seem to be more characters smoking in this movie than most other recent films I've seen...) The movie simply does not have enough confidence in the audience to come to its own conclusions. I do wish it would have had more to say on work and American mythology. James Marsden is too bland a lead for an ambitiously different movie as this one. But after a poor start, the movie does get much, much better in its second half with an assist from Chris Cooper who is great. A couple of cameos also help. And a little road geekery never hurt.[/font]
Marcus W

November 19, 2011
Such an odd film. It's definitely likeable, and keeps your interest with a twisting plot and a host of cameos. On the other hand it falls foul to one of the biggest cliches in fiction, and there's a definite lack of depth to it. You'll just have to see it for yourself...
Nick G

June 18, 2007
Nothing I can say could really describe this movie or really do justice to how different, yet enjoyable, this movie is. It's a blast and one of the few art type films that I would recommend to almost anyone. There are so many different layers to this movie, that I don't even want to call them layers. No matter which way you look you can pull meaning out of something.

I don't like to call movies "brilliant", but this is one of the few I will and not feel guilty about throwing around the word.

That, and for those of us in Saint Louis it is nice to see a movie that somewhat features the city (including Imos! kinda)

Without a doubt a must see for ANY Back to the Future fans. Cameos and lots of hidden references.
FanGirl
FanGirl

March 26, 2007
Looking at the box art and reading the synopsis you probably wouldn't expect it to be any good but it actually is.
June 22, 2006
15 minutes into this movie, I was completely befuddled. What kind of movie were they trying to make? Its set up is reminiscent of a 1960s live action Disney movie, but it clearly wasn't made for children. It's awkward and cliched and cheesy and bizarre... and yet it has an inexplicable charm. Even as I was yelling, "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? THAT PART DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!" I was kind of rooting for it. Part of that has to do with the fact that James Marsden makes a great hero, even when he's surrounded by nonsense. I ended up kind of liking this movie in spite of itself. Would I recommend it? Oh, heck no. It's sometimes painfully awkward to watch. But am I glad I watched it? ...Kind of.
mymuseic07
February 4, 2011
Great fantasy dream movie, not a boring moment in my opinion but I like these kind of movies. Intriguing! Didn't care for the language or a few little distasteful parts but all in all it was well written, had excellent actors/acting, fantastic characters, action, love, etc, etc, etc! I will definitely watch it again! Very creative, splattered with many underlying meanings referring/pertaining to life as we know, think we know or don't know it! I was captivated from beginning to end!
November 2, 2010
Totally My Type of Movie ! A fantastic romantic road comedy with quotable genius dialogues. Poster may fool you, you may thing that it's an empty headed movie for American teens. But It's not !
HeroPK
December 15, 2009
The were many moments that held my interest. It's kind of like "lost" meets "pee-wee" herman. Its like lost in a way that there a mysteries that lead you on but with the whimsy of a pee-wee herman film.
tlwc74
August 11, 2009
A wonderful road movie that was much better than I expected.
Gary Oldman is brilliant as O.W. Grant, but the most shocking performance comes from James Marsden as a young man who signs on for a task that takes me on a fantastical journey down the mythical Interstate 60. Along the way he meets an array of interesting, and sometimes kooky characters.
June 9, 2009
A fantastic fantasy, a well-woven tale like Back to the Future, parallel universe style, and with better acting to boot (can you imagine Gary Oldman and Chris Cooper in BTTF)? Oldman comes up with another look, manner of speaking, and manages to disguise the real Oldman once again. Cooper has the best trick up his sleeve, Marsden, though a little too Cruise-ish at times, holds his own anyway. Amy Smart has a hilarious entrance, showing her comedic acting chops. So much is funny, but the movie has a message, too. Think LA Story serendipity.
jamilyn0276
March 9, 2009
We all know about genies and leprechauns granting wishes, but little know of a man named O. W. Grant. He can be spotted on Interstate 60, if you are lucky. But, be careful what you wish for.
Interstate 60 is a genius little movie from Bob Gale, of Back to The Future fame.
This is a great movie! I enjoyed this movie more then I have enjoyed a movie in a long time. I think this is one of the few original eccentric stories to come out of Hollywood in quite some time.
Since Bob Gale wrote all the Back to the Future's there are a ton of references to that, if you look closely. My favorite being the hilarious cameo by Micheal J. Fox. He was only on screen for about 2 minutes, yet he managed to say F**k more times then he ever did in all his movies combined! I was rolling over that.
The cast in this film is great. I love Gary Oldman. I think he is a phenom. I got a kid out of him as O. W. Grant. He was brilliant, an absolute riot. I also loved that Christopher Lloyd was in this. He is another great. Amy Smart is beautiful, and I have always been a James Marsden fan. This was a fabulous cast.
Interstate 60 is original, side splitting, and fun. A refreshing treat amongst the unoriginal boring clones that Hollywood usually mass produces. Way to go Bob!
jimmylightmyfire
August 13, 2008
AWESOME! Awesome! O.W. Grant was such an interesting character. If only Gary Oldman were really running around fucking up wishes he granted.
May 7, 2008
interesting story. good cast. i ran across it by accident...i'd never heard of it. for something not too heavy, but still makes you think, check this movie out!
tippyco
September 13, 2007
I thought different situations in the movie were original and bizarre which made it fun to watch. All in all though it reminded me of an cheesy early 90's movie. Id probably would never watch it again, once was fine and enough!
August 8, 2007
This movie gives good reference to why movies are not shot in St. Louis. It had some good ideas and some moral lessons but after awhile you feel like you're in Sunday school watching veggie tales... Maybe Nick is right and I'm just negative, but I prefer to not be soo bombarded by moral lessons.