Interstate 60 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Interstate 60 Reviews

LWOODS04
½ August 27, 2009
Cast: James Marsden, Gary Oldman, Chris Cooper, Amy Smart, Ann-Margret, Christopher Lloyd, Jane Moffat, Amy Jo Johnson, Michael J. Fox, Mark Lutz, Kurt Russell

Director: Bob Gale

Summary: In this highly unusual road flick, a man (James Marsden) in search of answers to life's great mysteries takes his quest on Interstate 60, a make-believe freeway that leads him to encounters with a motley group of strange characters living in surreal roadside towns.

My Thoughts: "Not at all what I was expecting, which was a brainless roadtrip flick. Instead I got an thought provoking, mind bending, smart film. Completely the opposite of my first impression of the film. Guess the poster of a film can be very misleading. Anyways, this film has a really great mix of characters. There are many cameo's in this film by really great stars like Michael J. Fox, Gary Oldman, and Christopher Lloyd. A few others as well. Definitely see this film. It was a lot of fun."
½ December 18, 2010
Cute movie that feel like a combination of an after-school special and a Lifetime movie. I felt at times it had some new age message that my old aged brain was missing. Whimsical and enjoyable, but nothing to cry over if you have to wait to see it.
November 7, 2006
This movie rocked... funny, touching, sweet, glorious...
puffchunk
October 25, 2007
So good! It was a philosophical ride that didn't try to be too deep, instead it took a fun adventurous approach to it which I enjoyed. And you gotta love the back the the future cameos.
January 8, 2010
Surprising fairy tale, with a beautiful princess in a dungeon and a handsome prince that comes to her rescue, metaphorically speaking. Surprising as this viewer spent the first third of the film scoffing at the premise and the obvious setup for what promised to be a formulaic, amateurish morality tale. However something magical happened as one gave up trying to analyze the tale critically and began to let the filmmakers unfold the story in their own fashion. This viewer found himself drawn into the story, and caring about the young man, Neal (James Marsden) and his quest to find answers for his life. The story took over, and hit all the right notes. Yes, it is somewhat sappy. Yes, the characters and the situations are beyond surreal. Yes, the morality play gets a little over-the-top preachy at times. But, in spite of the obvious drawbacks, this worked. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for this viewer. Lots of once prominent stars take a turn in this, and knowing who they are, (Christopher Lloyd, Ann-Margret, Michael J. Fox, Kurt Russell, et al) only increases the enjoyability quotient.
Harlequin68
September 16, 2005
[font=Century Gothic]In "Interstate 60", Neal Oliver(James Marsden) is a young man on the verge of one of two careers - either a lawyer or an artist - while working nights for a shipping company to make ends meet in Saint Louis.(His father wants him to be a lawyer.) He has also been having dreams of a beautiful blonde he has never met. At his birthday dinner, he makes a wish for an answer to his life. O.W. Grant(Gary Oldman, channeling Ray Walston) is more than happy to grant his wish. Neal is then employed by the mysterious Ray(Christopher LLoyd) to deliver a package to Danver which lies on Interstate 60...[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"Interstate 60" explores some interesting themes but they are hammered to death before being drop kicked off the Gateway Arch.(The movie has quite a lot to say about a person choosing their own path in life. But there seem to be more characters smoking in this movie than most other recent films I've seen...) The movie simply does not have enough confidence in the audience to come to its own conclusions. I do wish it would have had more to say on work and American mythology. James Marsden is too bland a lead for an ambitiously different movie as this one. But after a poor start, the movie does get much, much better in its second half with an assist from Chris Cooper who is great. A couple of cameos also help. And a little road geekery never hurt.[/font]
November 19, 2011
Such an odd film. It's definitely likeable, and keeps your interest with a twisting plot and a host of cameos. On the other hand it falls foul to one of the biggest cliches in fiction, and there's a definite lack of depth to it. You'll just have to see it for yourself...
½ June 18, 2007
Nothing I can say could really describe this movie or really do justice to how different, yet enjoyable, this movie is. It's a blast and one of the few art type films that I would recommend to almost anyone. There are so many different layers to this movie, that I don't even want to call them layers. No matter which way you look you can pull meaning out of something.

I don't like to call movies "brilliant", but this is one of the few I will and not feel guilty about throwing around the word.

That, and for those of us in Saint Louis it is nice to see a movie that somewhat features the city (including Imos! kinda)

Without a doubt a must see for ANY Back to the Future fans. Cameos and lots of hidden references.
FanGirl
½ March 26, 2007
Looking at the box art and reading the synopsis you probably wouldn't expect it to be any good but it actually is.
October 12, 2012
Excellent movie. Very, very funny, very sweet and heartfelt, very smart, with great performances from its incredible cast members.
August 8, 2012
Nice, light, imaginative coming of age movie where we're reminded that the choices we make, make us and it is the journey where we learn their value. Could easily have been heavy handed, and lost all appeal, but it is done in a fun and funny style with a great cast (you'll be surprised by all the faces that pop up).
July 5, 2012
Lets just say that if I was ever chained to a chair and forced to watch this again, I would not complain.
½ June 22, 2006
15 minutes into this movie, I was completely befuddled. What kind of movie were they trying to make? Its set up is reminiscent of a 1960s live action Disney movie, but it clearly wasn't made for children. It's awkward and cliched and cheesy and bizarre... and yet it has an inexplicable charm. Even as I was yelling, "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? THAT PART DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE!" I was kind of rooting for it. Part of that has to do with the fact that James Marsden makes a great hero, even when he's surrounded by nonsense. I ended up kind of liking this movie in spite of itself. Would I recommend it? Oh, heck no. It's sometimes painfully awkward to watch. But am I glad I watched it? ...Kind of.
½ February 10, 2011
It has the feel of an ABC Family made-for-tv movie.....without being family friendly at all. It's got a few clever spots and likeable actors, but this film is just really cliche and immature.
May 8, 2011
This movie was interesting, and funnier than I expected. It had some good lessons, and had a good ending.
½ April 14, 2011
It's got a great cast and Oldman is amazing, as always. But every other aspect of the movie is so lame. So, so lame. It had my eyes rolling and my skin crawling. It feels like a straight-to-DVD movie for tweens soon to be airing on the Disney channel, except that it's got some F-bombs and a scene with a former Power Ranger turned whore.
½ February 4, 2011
Great fantasy dream movie, not a boring moment in my opinion but I like these kind of movies. Intriguing! Didn't care for the language or a few little distasteful parts but all in all it was well written, had excellent actors/acting, fantastic characters, action, love, etc, etc, etc! I will definitely watch it again! Very creative, splattered with many underlying meanings referring/pertaining to life as we know, think we know or don't know it! I was captivated from beginning to end!
½ November 2, 2010
Totally My Type of Movie ! A fantastic romantic road comedy with quotable genius dialogues. Poster may fool you, you may thing that it's an empty headed movie for American teens. But It's not !
August 25, 2008
Who does grant wishes in America? I can't think of anything... This movie is about a man who grants wishes in America.

"Experience has into thinking that all hearts are red and all spades are black. Because their shapes are similar it is easy for your mind to interpret them based on that past experience than to be open to the idea that they could be different. We see what we expect to see and not necessarily what is really there. Children who have never played this always pass this test. Makes you wonder how many other things are right in front of you, sights, sounds, smells, that you can't experience because you've been conditioned not to."

A man wishes for the answer to life. He then travels down a road on a wild adventure. I liked the drug down. It was sad but interesting. They made a town where drugs were legal and the legal age is 13. This is was to keep drugs off the street. The drug killed the sex drive which stopped rapes and other sex crimes. It sounded good, but it was perverse.

Also the Lawyer town was the absolute most frustrating town I have ever heard of. I think he handled the situation perfectly.

All in all I thought this was a very great movie. It was a modern day fantasy type for adults. I do find it funny that no on really seams to focus on that fact that he had a girlfriend the whole time who he didn't really break up with and was just cheating on... what can you do.
July 21, 2010
It is hard to write a review about this great movie because I don't know why it sucked me in, kept me interested, and had succesful ending in which I turned off my TV smiling and content.