90% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

79% Penny Dreadful: Season 1
84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Interview With the Assassin Reviews

May 27, 2012
Very well done flick! Just kept getting better and better. One I will for sure go back and re-watch.
September 25, 2011
raymond j. barry is right on as the confessed 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll. I'm really looking forward to seeing him in his own play, "Awake In A World That Encourages Sleep" opening in Jan. at the Electric Lodge
April 8, 2011
The Blair Witch version of JFK. It's a little crazy, but not entirely effective because the concept goes from convincing to implausible.
bills20007
April 10, 2010
Interesting set of circumstances
tim m.
September 3, 2009
For me, "Interview with the Assassin" falls into that small category of movies that will probably inspire young filmmakers to shoot their own movies. "Sherman's March," "Tape," "The Gleaners and I," maybe a dozen others -- these aren't just indie films, these are individuals' films. These aren't low budget, but no-budget films, based completely on creative ideas and creative camera work.
Almost immediately as the film starts, Walter tells the interviewer that he was the one who killed Kennedy. Like the movie?s narrator, we want to write Walter off as a conspiracy nut when we first meet him. Walter is a cranky, middle-age tough guy who lives down the street in a dimly lit house where the blinds are always closed. Walter?s paranoia is infectious. We are intrigued by his knowledge of the details of the events, and his seeming need to unburden himself.
Suspense is built through all the things we don?t see. Someone was at the door just before we got home. Someone was following us, but we just missed getting their face on camera. ?Assassin? creates tension from simple everyday artifacts, dialogue, and a sometimes very shaky handheld camera.
April 8, 2009
I really didn't understand what the intentions of the filmmakers were in Interview with the Assassin. It was not convincing or substantive as a piece of fiction or even as a documentary. It doesn't even manage to sustain the audience's suspension of disbelief that it may actually be an actual account like the Blair Witch Project did so well. Although the concept is instantly grabbing and I wanted to like this film, I just got to the end of it saying "so what?"
alanjayh
alanjayh

June 6, 2008
loved the concept....effective camera work and superior acting by Barry..this makes the film all the more believable and is a chilling variation on the JFK conspiracy
EJones216
January 27, 2008
RATING (0 to ****): ***

What did Neil Burger do before the magical celebration of cinema known as "The Illusionist"? Well, he did the completely different and perfectly-indie film "Interview with the Assassin", concerning an unemployed cameraman taking a job from an old man claiming to be the person who really shot JFK.

Okay, so I'll continue to say that bad forensics led to all those conspiracy theories, but during the film this "assassin" manages to convince us that he isn't completely nuts and might actually be telling the truth- showing us some evidence in the locations themselves. But, of course, it's always a bad idea to buy a person like this a gun, as the cameraman does. It's also an even worse idea to buy it for him under [i]your[/i] name (as the cameraman does).

Being that all of this is from the point-of-view of our protagonist's cameras, it's inevitable that we have some queasy moments, but being that his character is meant to be a professional we have plenty of steady moments and some fun scenes with a spy camera (as a side-note, this film might make you watch your mouth next time you're in front of someone with dorky-looking glasses). The best sequence, however, is shortly after the purchase of the guns, when the assassin and his army buddy shoot some cans. In a moment that's both scary and funny, our cameraman is shot at for no good reason.

Also, since it's about a JFK conspiracy, this story inevitably has a conspiracy of its own going on, with twists and turns along the way. "Interview with the Assassin" is good, intriguing fun.

MPAA: R (language)
Runtime: 1 hour, 23 minutes (80 minutes of "real movie")
Nikki7713
September 28, 2007
seems interesting... I'd like to see it.
William G

September 11, 2007
Intriguing enough mock doc about JFK's second shooter is propelled by performances.
404NotFound
April 23, 2007
A cheap film doesn't make a bad film.
bigbrowneyesmo
May 12, 2007
Who really WAS the third gunmen on the grassy knoll????
February 7, 2007
interesting, slightly funny, definitely recommended for anyone into jfk stuff
RubenBooth
RubenBooth

October 31, 2006
Not a bad first film at all. I got a little hung up on the poor attention to detail of the case and there's a couple of moments which stretch credibility to breaking point. Still, dude went on to "The Illusionist" so it's actually a positive indie story for a change.
my2centsworth
May 15, 2004
[size=4][color=navy]Sure, another Kennedy murder drama. Didn't really read the slip before watching this one as my hubby picked it out. Watched and actually got rather "creeped out" knowing this kinda s*** happens as far as our government is concerned. Became totally interested and actually had to look it up to see if it was real or not (I won't spoil it for you). Talked to the t.v. more than once, which is a good thing for me, shows interest. I would recommend this to any conspiracy theorists (or those who still think Elvis is retired on some island somewhere). [/color][/size]