Into Great Silence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Into Great Silence Reviews

July 5, 2014
If you can manage the almost-three hour running time, you may find this pensive documentary to your liking.
July 20, 2013
What Gr÷ning did is quite an accomplishment. It's so interesting to watch what the monks do on an everyday basis. I found it fascinating, although not very easy to watch. The (as I recall, maybe I'm wrong) last scene, where the monks are in the mountain, ABSOLUTELY CAPTIVATED me, since it reminds you, after all you have seen at that point, what they are, and the enormous gap between "use" and "them" suddenly becomes a lot shorter.
½ January 22, 2013
Pedazo de documental. Rotundo. No se puede hacer algo de menos de 2 horas que valga la pena. Gracias Se˝or.
½ December 28, 2012
Considering the title it is a noisy film with the clatter of the day to day life in the monastery an enigma! But it is true to life. A haunting film that grasps you and drags you into their lives. The " still small voice of God" proclaimed in the first scenes clearly speak to these men through the clamour.

Life changing if you let it!
½ November 24, 2012
as i read through abunch of wonderous reviews I found the only one out of place being someone who said this film is like "watching paint dry"...i thought I would prove them wrong and agree with the rest of the reviews. After 14 minutes though- i found myself watching the lights of my laptop reflect off my wall or watching my second computers defragment process tick away. This just wasnt interesting at all, its artsy and I'm sure the rest of the 3 hours were full of that...but still- really....i guess you need to be a monk to find any interest or someone whos really into wanting to be one....i am neither at this point.
½ June 24, 2012
not alot of sound or movement.
May 15, 2012
Sorry, tried watching it like 3xs.... wordless, basically soundless documentary, just kept making me hit the pillow....
April 4, 2012
Beautiful and almost completely dialogue-free look at the Chartreuse monks. The film is set up with repeated title cards in order to give the viewer the feel of what a day in the life of a monk is like.
April 4, 2012
Good movie, but is very long.
April 4, 2012
Ascetismo y devoci├│n, Rutina y Discipliina.
Sorprendente narraci├│n casi sin palabras, hermos├şsima fotograf├şa (sometida a reglas estrictas pero no por ello similar al Dogma) y el tiempo... que trastoca la l├│gica urbana.
Neutral, pero no por ello invita menos a la reflexi├│n.
Menos torturante de lo imaginado... pero s├ş demandante.
April 4, 2012
Sublime. The ritm of the Seasons peacefully running along Life within the monastery, give us a vision of the repetitive and spiritual life full of beauty and poetry. The silence makes us aware of amazing details all over the film, like the light, the dust, the rain, the snow flakes, the darkness, the sounds. All the film is like a sequence of paintings, of an infinite beauty.
It starts with Winter and ends with Winter again, closing and opening a perfect cicle or Armony and Beauty.
Marvelous. A Poem.
½ July 7, 2007
Transcendent. Awakens you to the wonder of life. Really.
February 18, 2012
Best Soundtrack EVER! I put it on and turned the volume up LOUD.
January 27, 2012
They weren't kidding when they said "Into Great Silence." But seriously, the sledding down the mountain near the end was incredible and unexpected.
July 15, 2011
Yes, I can watch a movie for 2 hours that has no speaking, this film brings so much more to the screen than sound. it brings, feeling, love, peace, and so much more. it really gets you thinking and not saying.
November 2, 2011
Wonderful. "The signs are not to be questioned, we are." A stunning vision of the sacramentality of all life. If you're still a Kantian afterward, you're mad!
February 3, 2008
Plot Synopsis: Monk sits down, Monk stands up, Monk walks through hall. etc. Snow falling is about the most exiting thing that happens. One of the most boring things i've ever seen.
July 11, 2011
This is not really a movie you see. It is giving time for God to take a transparent look at you. It is also a gift, as it lets you examine what is truly important in life. These monks live there lives in the presence of God and say very little. When in wonder, there is little to say. Their lives testify to the world of the coming day when the world will fall silent in the presence of Christ. Some may call this a silent film. It is certainly not. God has a lot to say during it.