97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Into The Arms Of Strangers - Stories Of The Kindertransport Reviews

flixsterman
flixsterman

July 1, 2009
Nearly 1,500,000 children were killed in the holocaust. These are the first hand accounts of a few that survived thanks to an English refugee program known as the Kindertransport. A fascinating but incredibly sad documentary that chronicles yet another segment of Hitler's horrific legacy.
John B

June 28, 2013
A well laid out documentary that is aided tremendously by the heart felt stories that we hear from children who never ended up going home. Very moving.
Sunil J

August 10, 2007
A must see documentary about children who escaped the Holocaust.
dredzag
May 11, 2007
Everyone should watch this documentary. It will touch you greatly and shows you how strong the human spirit is.
February 2, 2014
This is a heartening story in the midst of one of the most disheartening episodes in human history, since there were so many people complicit in the mass killing and so few who dared to do what those involved in the 'kindertransport rescue operation' did.
May 21, 2011
Documentario sobre as criancas judias enviadas por seus pais da Europa Central para Inglaterra durante a Segunda Guerra. Historias impressionantes. As filmagens (originais) da epoca sao surpreendentes.
April 5, 2011
A great documentary about not only the Kindertransport but also the Holocaust in general. The people who tell their stories come from all walks of life and different experiences yet share that common bond of going through the worst experiences conceivable and surviving. The USHMM and Warner Brothers have put out a great educational tool for those wanting to learn from and about these events.
December 13, 2010
While some people dislike documentaries that are only of people telling stories, " Talking Heads" Documentaries as they are called, none can deny the heart wrenching story being told. Crushing is to put it lightly.
jazza923
June 22, 2008
What a remarkable documentary, it would be impossible not to be moved by it. Excellent footage from the era, great and informative interviews.Excellent.
viletone
October 26, 2007
Fantastic documentary?I could not help but cry. I do not think any documentary has been able to have people open up and tell such devastating stories as this one. This film is hard to take at times because it of the sad lives that some of the people had, but it is a story that must be heard.
bogdana
March 25, 2007
The stories were interesting but not particularly fascinating. I was hoping for more detail but most of the people interviewed were taken in on the kindertransport at very young ages.
Its a shame how almost everyone who lived through that time is gone. There are so many stories that are left untold.
gillianren
September 14, 2006
The subject of the Kindertransport is fascinating. It almost-but-not-quite makes up a little for the shameful behavior of refused visas for adults. In addition, it seems many of these children were able to get other family members--even, in some cases, parents--out of German-held territories and into England.

That said, this documentary is an inferior telling of its story. While I understand the filmmakers' goal to make these stories personal, I do not feel we have enough context. There are thousands of stories to tell, but the one that isn't is the overall one.

Oh, there are interjected moments of history, but not many. We do see film and still photos, but out of context--is the footage of bombing actually related to the story the woman is telling? Probably, but maybe not. We don't know; we don't know if the photos shown are photos of the lost parents or just photos of the era that look right.

It's odd, the unblinking use of the term "alien companies." In pre-Roswell days, that didn't mean what it does now. And the woman encouraging "girls" to join the ATS looks astonishingly like Eddie Izzard. Small ironies like this pepper the film, but not enough to really improve it.
iScreamUscreamWeAllScream