97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

38% Taxi Brooklyn: Season 1
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Into the White Reviews

August 25, 2014
Low-budget Netflix finds are the best and while 'Into the White' does not quite breathe top-tier excellence, there is something really good to salvage. This is the true story of German and British aircrews who shoot each other down in their fight for Norway during World War II. Against all odds and despite being adversaries in the war, the troops have to work together to survive the treacherous Norwegian weather. While 'Into the White' does seem to become slow at parts, it is ultimately rewarding to see the perceived barrier of difference come down as the soldiers continue to work together, find that they have a lot in common, and even become friends. The performances are stellar too, especially Florian Lukas as Lt. Horst Schopis, leader of the Germans; Stig Henrik Hoff as Sgt. Wolfgang Strunk, an initially quiet and serious German solider; and Rupert Grint as Private Robert Smith (based off the real-life Lt. R.S. Bostock). It's rewarding because you see that even contrasting personalities can accomplish many things and become well-acquainted. Even more compelling is that this is a true story. The end will have your mouth dropping open because of the unbelievable irony and deja vu.
January 26, 2014
Nice movie and good story based on real life events during WW11
Tristan Lane
August 23, 2014
It's admittedly quite cliche, and is poorly paced, but Into the White is a heartwarming, and surprising well acted, story about the beauty of humanity in its darkest moments.
August 3, 2014
Gunner Robert Smith (Grint): I'm a man of principles. Wanna hear one?
Feldwebel Wolfgang Strunk (Stig Henrik Hoff): No.
Gunner Robert Smith (Grint) : Do whatever makes you happy.
Feldwebel Wolfgang Strunk (Stig Henrik Hoff): What about responsibility?
Gunner Robert Smith (Grint): And what about the responsability of being happy?

I'm not really a huge fan of this genre of film but this was pretty cool and all the more because its based on a true story. It's fascinating to watch when people get to decide what's right and wrong especially when faced with extreme conditions for survival even though their country's government "officially" declared them as enemies. It's also unfortunate, that it would take extraordinary circumstances in order for people to behave ourselves and put aside our differences. I had initially wanted to see this film because of Rupert Grint (me being a Harry Potter fan and all) but the entire cast was just so brilliant and they all did a marvelous job with each of their parts that it was difficult trying to pick a favorite or a standout performance because everyone played off of each other's performances so beautifully that I completely forgot about my Potter-centric fandomness and concentrated solely on the film; which if I may add, I thoroughly enjoyed watching. This truly was an interesting study on human nature and I loved the simplicity of it all-- no overt CG effects, nothing too graphic or violent, not even that much profanity (if there even was any); just strong performances from each of the cast and a fascinating story that need to be told. Overall, a really good film.
July 15, 2014
Good movie about enemies setting aside rivalries in order to survive. The film writers and producers take some liberties from the real story which is a bit unfortunate.
bill s.
June 10, 2014
Not all stories need to be told but this one hugs that line just enough to warrant a watch.
May 14, 2014
Ponderous pacing makes this true-life tale a lot less enthralling than it might have been. I say SKIP IT!!!
April 17, 2014
After finishing every film in the Harry Potter series, I felt a need to see what kind of acting skills Rupert Grint had grown into as an adult outside of the Hogwarts Universe. So a film like Into the White sounded like a great choice to start.

Into the White is misleading on the basis of its poster because that suggests that there will be more aviation and battles than there actually are in the film. Into the White is a significantly more character-driven story which focuses on the soldiers as they live out a period of time in a cabin with enemies. Also, Rupert Grint is given some of the least lines in the film despite being promoted as one of the key actors in the film and having his face stand out on the poster. With a film like Into the White, your expectations cannot come from what the poster suggests.
And the story doesn't attempt to break new ground. It is an exploration of the relationship between enemies in WWII stuck in a difficult situation who have to work together to survive, and that is interesting but it doesn't take the context of the story on board as much as it realistically should considering the violent nature of WWII. And the material gets rather repetitive over the course of its 100 minute running time which is already slow paced, so the experience can be a little too dull for some viewers. Although I wasn't bothered by the pace, I found that the story did tend to go in circles and didn't really go too far beyond its limits all that often.
But even still, Into the White was an entertaining film.
For one thing, Into the White is flawlessly convincing. Due to the fact that it is shot on location, it maintains the perfect scenery for its story and always feels realistic. It captures an atmospheric look at its characters boxed in one little cabin as the cold starts to freeze them and captures a lot of the appealing elements of its scenery. That combined with the costumes and the props all combine into making Into the White the convincing film that it is. And everything is captured with very gentle and nice cinematography as well as timely editing.
Secondly, the film feels very honest. It takes an honest look at all its characters without defining them on the basis of which side they fight for. By that I mean that it doesn't label the German soldiers enemies and the British soldiers heroes. I mean, if viewers saw Into the White without any prior knowledge about the context of World War II then they would have no way of labelling anybody the good guys or the bad guys. So Into the White succeeds at looking at its characters as people instead of simply as soldiers which is what a lot of war films fail to do.
But the most important part of Into the White is the characters. As the film focuses on its five soldiers who are all isolated in the same cabin due to crashing during WWII, the importance of the story rests on who they are and precisely how they interact with each other. Although the screenplay occasionally has repetitive bumps, as a whole it is interesting and has enough strong dialogue to support its 100 minute running time and the slow pace of the film. It keeps things consistently interesting and dramatic on its small scale to the end, so for such a small scale project I would say that Petter Naess gives a fine effort as the writer and director of Into the White, and he manages to bring out a lot of talent in the cast.
Lachlan Nieboer portrays Captain Charles P. Davenport, the British soldier who takes a stand against the Germans' attempt to establish strength over him in the cabin in Into the White. He stands tall with his heroism and sharp line delivery which has him saying his lines swiftly but without a feeling as if her ever having to remember them. The words exit his mouth so naturally that it all feels real, and it enhances the convincing qualities of Into the White.
The German counterpart to this character is played by Florian Lukas who shares an intense chemistry with Lachlan Nieboer due to the fact that both characters represent the same values and have similar personas yet stand on opposing sides of the war is interesting. Florian Lukas similarly creates a certain sense of strength by standing up in the face of an adversary and delivering his lines with an equal strength. These two actors dominate the screen for most of the first part of the film and it gives it a good start which just improves as it progresses.
The first time that audiences get to see Rupert Grint talk for an extended period of time in Into the White is the moment that he instantly separates himself from his iconic role of Ron Weasley. I closed my eyes for a moment during his brief monologue and tried to imagine that this was Ron Weasley, but due to his excellent voice articulation of a Liverpool accent, I simply could not. I saw Rupert Grint for his strong mature talent that he had developed over many years of acting in Into the White, the film serves as a front for his talents which easily separate him from the character Ron Weasley. Rupert Grint is a great cast member in Into the White who delivers his lines with a mature and adult passion for acting which ensures that the material is dealt the best possible acting skills he can present.
David Kross' performance is a strong one as well. The actor who made a name for himself for his performance in the morally awful film The Reader manages to give a more impressive performance in a significantly more mature and adult role in Into the White. Projecting the fearful inner turmoil that comes with being a soldier forced to face the harsh reality of being paired with his enemies, instead of staring blankly like he did in The Reader, David Kross manages to put some life in the stare in his eyes which projects the true fear from within him, as does his rough edged line delivery. David Kross gives a performance superior to his one in The Reader which gives me a new respect for him as an actor.
Stig Henrik Hoff also makes a strong supporting effort.

So while Into the Blue is slow, somewhat repetitive and doesn't have the action or aviation that its poster suggests, it is still a thoroughly entertaining character study of soldiers in a complex situation which is acted well and scripted very finely.
March 27, 2014
A little slow at times but overall a good survival movie...plus Ron is in it=:)
February 2, 2014
I thought this film was well acted and brilliantly heartbreaking.
March 16, 2013
Believe it or not...I really enjoyed this film. Make sure to add this one to your list.
Danwah
January 17, 2014
Some wonky moments but generally entertaining.
January 17, 2014
Some wonky moments but generally entertaining.
January 12, 2014
A surprisingly decent war drama in the snow blizzard in the norwegian mountains. Nothing much happens but I was sufficiently entertained!
December 28, 2013
Rotten tomatoes reviewers need to pull their heads out of their arses. But then again, they thought "Gravity" was well written.
December 14, 2013
very good movie very good character build up
December 1, 2013
This is a real movie and an excelent demonstration of humanity.
November 16, 2013
Solid performances overpower the sometimes slow pacing.
October 25, 2013
This is a fantastic film about survival and interpersonal dynamics in the most difficult and demanding of situations. I am I am surprised that the critics and audience didn't give it higher ratings. In my opinion, within this "war film"/survival genre - this is about as good as it gets.