RT on DVD: Into the Wild, Things We Lost In The Fire, My Kid Could Paint That Arrive

Summary

Into the Wild, Sean Penn's lyrical adventure about a young idealist on a cross-country trek, leads new releases this week. Back to Article

Comments

Mcpeer3

Michael Peer

I"m not there isn't coming out on DVD tomorrow... check on amazon, bestbuy, or any other online site.

Mar 3 - 04:54 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Im not THERE comes out in MAY. Im definately getting INTO THE WILD tomorrow. March and april are the best dvd months. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, I AM LEGEND (GO WATCH THE ALTERNATE ENDING ON YOUTUBE), SOUTHLAND TALES (I HOPE THEY RELEASE A DIRECTOR'S CUT FOR SOUTHLAND AND I AM LEGEND), THE MIST, SWEENEY TODD, ATONEMENT, WALK HARD, THERE WILL BE BLOOD, JUNO, and BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOU'RE DEAD. Damn I better start saving cash....alot of cash.

Mar 3 - 05:18 PM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

Whilst the alternate ending to I AM LEGEND is an improvement, it doesn't redeem the film. Not that it's a bad movie (it certainly has its moments) ...it's just when considering the source material, you can't help but think what a wasted opportunity. It could've been something epic and something great. Sure, they went one step closer to getting it right, as opposed to the previous films that've tackled the book BUT why if they were going to make it "almost" like the book, didn't they just add those other elements (and ending) that makes it a classic.

There's a reason the story is called I AM "LEGEND" ...the movie hinted at it but didn't quite seem to grasp just why Neville is a legend in the context of what has happened.

Mar 3 - 09:20 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah I thought I AM LEGEND was good, but with this different ending it makes it pretty good. We all know there will be a DIRECTOR'S CUT, considering the DVD has like no special feature, and does not include that whole other hour of footage they cutted out. They need more footage of SMITH walking around NEW YORK in the begining; the infected were shown way to early, it needs more info on the virus, they need to improve the look of the infected, and put some more blood in it. Thats what would make the movie great, also the DVD should have a bunch of bonus features.

Mar 3 - 10:17 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

Hey, I just can't figure why there is so much criticism of I am

Legend, it was a good movie and that's all i was expecting. Guys, i know

the story probably deserved better but take a moment and think.. how many

best selling books truely get an epic and justified film adaptation,hmm ?

I know you can name more than a few BUT more than most stories don't get

justified treatment and are left in the middle of very good and ordinary. so,

i tink all things considered the book got a barely justified adaptation hey

it could be worse y'know.

Mar 3 - 10:09 PM

vaodsi

john irvine

into the wild was awesome. i really (REALLLLLLY) liked that movie. and hal holbrook should have one the oscar (NOT to say that Javier Bardem didn't deserve it...... i just thought holbrook deserved it more! but.... i'm not the academy ;)

Mar 3 - 10:15 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Mar 3 - 10:17 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I AM LEGEN was really choppy, and you could tell the editor cut a bunch of scenes short.

Mar 3 - 10:19 PM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

they need to make Will Smith more terrifying to the monsters... they need to lose those two characters that pop in at the end, which ruin the whole point of the movie.

Mar 3 - 11:27 PM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe, there are two ways of looking at it.... You can take a book and put it on screen exactly how it reads. 2 recent examples being Lord of the Rings, and, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. This way, fans aren't usually disappointed because you covered it all, and haven't messed around with the "formula".

Or.... you can do like Fight Club or Trainspotting, essentially cover the story in the book, but do so in a stylized way. The end result being something that can stand it's own ground as unique piece of artwork I guess.

With I AM LEGEND (starring Will Smith), they basically tried to cover the story in the book (the first option as above) but unfortunately removed bits which make it so much better. They also altered things like how Neville got the dog, so as to make it more "Hollywood" and heartwarming... Read the synopsis of the book on Wikipedia if you haven't got the time to actually read the book, and you'll immediately see why the altering of the film completely dumbed down the story. It's not like budget could be a reasonable excuse though, I think just laziness on the director's part.

Mar 3 - 11:39 PM

samlane

sam lane

Sorry Jeremy but i would not consider Lord of the Rings a movie that plays exactly how it reads. The adaptation of the books was the major reason i was dissapointed in the movies. I thought they did a pretty bad adaptation. They just took out way to much stuff and made way to many unnessary changes.

Mar 4 - 12:24 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Dont you dare call THE LORD OF THE RINGS a bad series!...dont you dare!

Mar 4 - 03:08 PM

samlane

sam lane

No no i wasn't calling it a bad series at all. I just feel like they could have adapted the books better. And i think this would have made the movies even better. One thing that kind of pissed me off as i was watching the special features on the dvd is peter jackson saying the genius of the writers was that they were comfortable in making changes to tolkiens books. This just seemed really arrogant to me because tolkien was a amazing author and i don't think they should have made as many changes as they did.

Mar 4 - 09:17 PM

simplekindoflovely

Jay Tee

Yeah, what's up with reporting "I'm Not There." is out today? Everywhere else I checked says May 6.

False hopes, man. False hopes :o(

Mar 4 - 05:22 AM

Product_of_You

Steven Edwards

The reason why I Am Legend takes so much crap is because it wasn't very good. Especially considering the novel. Basically the only thing the two had in common was the name of the main character and the idea that he was alon in New York. Yet he was alone for a completely different reason, and the vampires weren't really vampires, they were basically zombies. And once the badly cgi'd zombies were revealed the whole movie lost its sense of fear. The thing that really made the book great was its characterization of the zampires, and this was completely void from the film. I wish that someone would make an I Am Legend movie one day; it could be great.

Mar 4 - 05:54 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

oh dude thats just shady...the only release i wanted to see was I'm Not There. yet its NOT comin out?? now i got like dvd blue balls...so much anticipation...yet, i'm gettin' nothin!

Mar 4 - 08:23 AM

FLYmeatwad

Rich T

I've been waiting since November to see I'm NOt There again and when I saw this I nearly flipped out. Now I check around and I, once again, hear May. Rotten Tomatoes, you have just crushed my dreams.

Mar 4 - 08:49 AM

DiscoDan

Justin Tate

ugh you got me so excited about "I'm Not There" and it doesn't come out till may!!!!

Mar 4 - 09:16 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

I checked Amazon for I'm Not There and guess what, It's Not There.

Mar 4 - 09:26 AM

dracus

Cap Nord

Don't say much for this week's DVD releases when the one that's getting most of the attention isn't coming until May.

Mar 4 - 09:40 AM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Sorry guys, our mistake. Correction made.

Mar 4 - 10:11 AM

samlane

sam lane

Mar 4 - 12:24 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Dont you dare call THE LORD OF THE RINGS a bad series!...dont you dare!

Mar 4 - 03:08 PM

samlane

sam lane

Mar 4 - 09:17 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Dont you dare call THE LORD OF THE RINGS a bad series!...dont you dare!

Mar 4 - 03:08 PM

samlane

sam lane

Mar 4 - 09:17 PM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

LOTR was pretty spot on, especially with the "Extended Editions". In contrast to I AM LEGEND too, it's quite obvious which director understood and respected his source material more.

Mar 4 - 05:34 PM