—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Intruders Reviews

Cynthia S

February 19, 2013
One of those movies that started out with a lot of promise, but by the end I was like "huh?". Too bad, as par for the course for most horror films these days...
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

January 29, 2012
Back in the VHS boom of the eighties I spent way too much time watching horror movies. You see, back then horror was the genre of choice for straight to video productions and my local rental stores would get about five new genre titles a week. The most anticipated tapes were those featuring a recurring villain, Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, Chucky, The Critters etc. The current cycle of horror has been lacking a franchise with such a character but "Intruders" may just have given us one. His name is Hollowface and his schtick is lurking in kid's closets, awaiting the chance to steal their faces. He's a pretty good addition to the horror villain roster, almost a cross between Candyman and Freddy Krueger, but sadly doesn't get the movie he deserves here.
Fresnadilla previously helmed "28 Weeks Later" and didn't do a very good job but at least here he eschews the rapid editing that butchered that movie. He instead goes for brooding atmosphere but lacks the skill to create any real tension.
For a genre film this has a lot of quality acting talent but it's Purnell as Owen's victimised daughter who really shines here. Last year she showed Kiera Knightley to be average at best by playing her younger self in "Never Let Me Go" and the Waffler predicts a big future for her.
The main problem with this movie is that the film-makers take it too seriously and just don't have the skill to aim so high. If they focus more on their villain this could potentially become a fun little straight to DVD franchise.
Alec B

July 29, 2012
What starts as an intense and thoughtful exploration into the nature of fear turns into a poorly constructed thriller that half heartily examines post traumatic stress disorder.
Sarah P

July 30, 2012
Really, really, really dumb. One of the worst "scary" or "thrilling" movies I've seen because it is neither.
April 12, 2014
Some very creepy images, not sure if it's happening to this family or it's just a hallucination...quite good!
tpolslover
September 20, 2013
Very hard to understand the dual story lines up until a certain point. Clive Owen is a strong presence throughout this film.
March 14, 2013
Good premise, but too drawn out and definitely the wrong title for the movie. Should be called "Hollow Face"
November 27, 2012
While I enjoyed the parallel storylines, it wasn't as scary as I hoped and left some questions unanswered.
November 12, 2012
I still have a hour left and i'm rating it a 3 because it has kept my interest , unlike most movies that are produced now!
October 25, 2012
Intruders sucks. Fails as a drama and as a horror films. The "twist" was laughable and midway through the movie, I was hoping it wouldn't take that route, but alas that was too much to ask for.
JennabGreat
August 30, 2012
Hollowface is a very memorable, scary ..thing. Sadly, the movie wasn't. It had an interesting story... but I just couldn't like it. I tried.
August 23, 2012
In Spain, a young boy is haunted by a spirit that has no face, whom he calls Hollowface. This spirit haunts him every night, and his mother begins to fear that her child might be inhabited by the devil.

In America, John Farrow (Clive Owen) worries that his young daughter, Mia (Ella Purnell), is being pursued by an evil spirit known as Hollowface, and will stop at nothing to protect her.

I enjoyed the finale of this film, and how it ties everything together, even though one of the twists was easily revealed early on in the film for any normal movie-goer. Still, the storyline was well done and the acting was well thought out, and ends with a very earthly conclusion instead of some out-of-this-world finale.
August 13, 2012
I was very interested to see this, since I liked 28 weeks later and cuz this had played at tiff and sxsw, and while there are definitely some creepy scenes, the story just isnt fully developed, it seemed to just be a lot of ideas that weren't really connected, while i did like the ultimate twist, there were still too many unanswered questions at the end, clive owen is solid as always tho, and the spanish mom bugged me, but daniel bruhl is good, had no idea he was spanish and not german
shanaym12
April 22, 2012
Well if you didn't like the movie I'm pretty sure you didn't really understand what it was about.
**SPOILER ALERT**
The story of a kid hunted by intruding abusing father remembered as a monster who attacked him. He has to deal with his nightmares once again as an adult when his daughter finds a note he had written as a child.
March 29, 2012
Not a horror movie. Something much more. Is it a little dopey? Yes. But it's so gorgeous that it doesn't matter. Also, Hollowface is one of the scariest boogeymen ever.
June 14, 2014
"Intruders" is an example a horror film which has promising and great opening but really disappointing in ending. Its plot twist almost failed make this film is a good plot. If this film just explored the opening scene deeper and sharper, its review might be different.
April 9, 2014
I hate seeing C.O. is this sort of dreck
April 2, 2014
While it contained the majority of the decent horror tropes, it was a decidedly noncommittal film. It seemed the filmmakers didn't know whether to do a psychological thriller or a horror film - and they weren't clever enough to do both. It was refreshing to see a smaller gap between the incredulous parent and the tortured child, but generally the originality of the pilot's concept was wasted for all the trite horror cliches. If you take those out, it's a genuinely interesting psychological thriller.
Giorgos M.
February 8, 2014
This movie is on my top 5 of the worst movies ever.
The trailer of this movie was actually pretty good and makes you wanna see the movie.
The movie starts promising and then everything just goes wrong.The acting, the plot, the whole movie in general is so bad and disappointing.
This could be a good horror movie but they tried to turn it in a psychological thriller and they achieved to make one of the worst movies of this millennium.
February 2, 2014
Unscary and deeply confusing, it doesn't make much sense until the end - by which time it's too late to care