• R, 1 hr. 50 min.

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 8, 2010
Love no matter what.

Good Film! I found this to be a sweet and emotional film. The story takes you back in time, and brilliantly captures the attitudes and prejudices of small town life. Every actor in this film gives such a genuine performance that you can't help being sucked into their world, a world where what is said by the rich can either save or condemn as they see fit. Each location used in the film leaves an imprint on you, from the garage where the brothers always unite over a game of ping-pong to the romance of the abandoned farm where the sparks of love really begin to fly. "Inventing the Abbotts" is a coming of age story that captures the awkwardness of adolescence without all the cheese that so often pervades the genre. It is a tale of love and lust, rich and poor, pure and simple. All in all, "Inventing the Abbotts" is a splendid movie that *somehow* teaches you to love "no matter what".

Set in the 1950s, Inventing the Abbotts is a dramatic look at the life of two boys from the wrong side of the tracks and their interaction with the three daughters of local aristocrat Lloyd Abbott. The boys, Jacey and Doug Holt, have only three things in common: their family, table tennis and chasing the beautiful Abbott sisters. Their father, a reckless risk-taker, lost his life through a wager with Lloyd Abbott, his then business partner.
Nicki M

October 26, 2008
I can remember watching this one a few years back and really being not impressed. However, I really couldn't remember a lot about it, so when I saw this as a free rental, decided I wound give it another go.
I have to say it was nowhere near as bad as I remembered. It is a fairly subdued film, no one in it is terribly happy and added to that, it is set in the 50's. Not a great time for women, I would say. No wonder the 3 Abbott girls have issues! Liv Tyler is pleasant here, where Jennifer Connelly I found a little less so, but really she is not in it enough to matter. She's not awful, but I just don't buy her as that character. Joaquin Phoenix was the real surprise here. I am not generally a fan, but he nails it here. Quite compelling. I am thinking I will check out some other films he is in.
Overall not one I would recommend chasing down, but not bad, and possibly just perfect viewing on an insomnia night, as it was for me, if you happen to catch it on tv.
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
Not a bad film, not really my cuppa tea but I kept watching so it can?t be that bad I guess!
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 23, 2007
Joaquin Phoenix and Liv Tyler play excellent children.
jjnxn
jjnxn

September 24, 2007
Some good acting but too slow paced to really be involving. Crudup's character is an absolute slimeball so it's hard to care anything for him.
divinetrash
divinetrash

January 8, 2008
Sweet and nicely performed; doesn't run as deep as it think it does but there are more elements compensating for that. I actually didn't enjoy the film the first time around and it took a little thinking about it for a few days to appreciate it.
iLeo
iLeo

November 9, 2007
Love this film! Still a favorite.
Haley A

March 16, 2006
Phoenix and Tyler are awesome.
juliantoepfer
October 4, 2011
A decent drama that gets lost in itself. The elements for a very good film are here, but just never gets rolling enough to get there. The cast is quite good. Phoenix, Cudrup and Tyler in particular. It gets a whole extra star for showing Jennifer Connelly's awesome boobage. Sorry if that's a lame reason, but it was well worth an extra point.
August 23, 2009
Excellent performances by all.

It's good to see Jennifer Connelly in her prime. (She beats Megan Fox hands down!)
gregleetz
October 16, 2008
Very good movie! Great cast, and it never hurts when i get the chance to see Jeniffer Connely's titties! :-0
December 16, 2007
Going, Connelly, Tyler - could you blame any guy for not being to resist this trio of sisters. Brilliant performances by all.
shoeless11
June 5, 2007
I adore Joaquin Phoenix in this movie. Such a cute movie and even though Liv Tyler isn't the most loyal girl, I still love her.
June 14, 2006
I loved Live Tyler in this as well as the love of my life Jennifer Connelly... this movie was so good and so full of great melodrama that was so over the top... how can you not like it?
thegirlwho
May 31, 2006
It's been a while, but I recall this being the kind of romantic drama that's good to watch on a rainy day.
bigmouthwoman
May 3, 2006
It's all in the chemistry. There needs to be about 10 more movies with Joaquin and Liv because they could knock that OUT.
May 3, 2014
I thought this was a really good film.
filmhipster.com
September 20, 2012
Damn this movie lumber's along cautiously...as far as inventing goes, its story is still in the planning stages and has no hope for a Patent...it's a must miss.
March 24, 2012
while it may not be the most original story, and it tends to be quite predictable, 'inventing the abbotts" makes up for where it lacks with fine performances from joaquin phoenix, billy cruddup, jennifer connelly, liv tyler and especially kathy baker.
February 28, 2012
For a film about teen love & relationships in a usually vibrant period translated on film it is very dry & flat.