• R, 1 hr. 50 min.

MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 8, 2010
Love no matter what.

Good Film! I found this to be a sweet and emotional film. The story takes you back in time, and brilliantly captures the attitudes and prejudices of small town life. Every actor in this film gives such a genuine performance that you can't help being sucked into their world, a world where what is said by the rich can either save or condemn as they see fit. Each location used in the film leaves an imprint on you, from the garage where the brothers always unite over a game of ping-pong to the romance of the abandoned farm where the sparks of love really begin to fly. "Inventing the Abbotts" is a coming of age story that captures the awkwardness of adolescence without all the cheese that so often pervades the genre. It is a tale of love and lust, rich and poor, pure and simple. All in all, "Inventing the Abbotts" is a splendid movie that *somehow* teaches you to love "no matter what".

Set in the 1950s, Inventing the Abbotts is a dramatic look at the life of two boys from the wrong side of the tracks and their interaction with the three daughters of local aristocrat Lloyd Abbott. The boys, Jacey and Doug Holt, have only three things in common: their family, table tennis and chasing the beautiful Abbott sisters. Their father, a reckless risk-taker, lost his life through a wager with Lloyd Abbott, his then business partner.
May 3, 2014
I thought this was a really good film.
April 13, 2013
I remember seeing this when it came out. LOVE this movie. Great cast - plus I love period pieces. Billy Crudup is also just SO sexy. Where did he go?
April 1, 2013
good movie with a goo dplot about small town life and what truly is hidden below the surface of people's lives. yeah more of a little movie and wouldnt win any awards but worth watching. joaquin is quite charming. troubled at times but charming.
February 24, 2013
Rich girls, poor boys, sex, lies and miserable lives. Not bad in all, good performances by the then-new and upcoming cast. Small town living.... equals to melodrama. nothing more.
January 11, 2013
love this movie! Written well and thought provoking!
filmhipster.com
September 20, 2012
Damn this movie lumber's along cautiously...as far as inventing goes, its story is still in the planning stages and has no hope for a Patent...it's a must miss.
August 28, 2012
Oh how I like Juaquin.
August 8, 2012
great i loved this movie
July 30, 2012
Good movie, but very slow paced.
April 11, 2012
amazing. i love liv tyler
April 3, 2012
This is a fun Joaquin/ Liv movie...
March 24, 2012
while it may not be the most original story, and it tends to be quite predictable, 'inventing the abbotts" makes up for where it lacks with fine performances from joaquin phoenix, billy cruddup, jennifer connelly, liv tyler and especially kathy baker.
February 28, 2012
For a film about teen love & relationships in a usually vibrant period translated on film it is very dry & flat.
juliantoepfer
October 4, 2011
A decent drama that gets lost in itself. The elements for a very good film are here, but just never gets rolling enough to get there. The cast is quite good. Phoenix, Cudrup and Tyler in particular. It gets a whole extra star for showing Jennifer Connelly's awesome boobage. Sorry if that's a lame reason, but it was well worth an extra point.
Julian T.
December 8, 2011
August 4, 2011
I have only sceen bits and peaces of the movie. So I really don't know what to say about it.
June 16, 2011
pertama kali jatuh cinta ama Jennifer Connely :D
April 6, 2011
One of my favorite coming of age films. More than that its a film about the human condition family and siblings. The way we all see things very differently than those around us. Also how what we see and feel when we are when hurt and jaded are not always how things really are. Joaquin in one of his earliest roles showed the powerful tortured soul that would later allow him to take on Johnny Cash. Liv Tyler is at what could be her best in this movie.