RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: Invictus and The Messenger

Summary

This week on home video, we've got a couple of big new releases and a few smaller ones. Three of them serve as evidence that having a big name (or two, or three, or a dozen) isn't going to guarantee a great movie, while a couple of this week's selections show how even a minimalist venture can end up strikingly good. Plus, we've got a classic 80s TV series on tap, as well as a classic Creature Feature favorite, and a three-movie collection starring one of American cinema's biggest icons. Read on to find out about all the selections, and hopefully one or two of them will find a new home on your shelf. Back to Article

Comments

Swampfox

Pat Marion

Invictus = Most Overrated Film of 2009. It was not good at all and I compare it to something downright terrible. I could rant all day about how bad this film is.

The Messenger on the other hand was a terrific film. Ben Foster got snubbed from an Oscar. Very underrated actor.

May 17 - 05:46 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

I saw Invictus when all my friends went and saw Avatar. So I'd have to disagree on your "most overrated film of 2009." Mainly on the point that Invictus got barely any hype. To be the most overrated film it'd have to receive a ton of hype. So maybe something like Bad Lieutenant or Paranormal Activity. Of course that's just my opinion.

May 17 - 08:45 PM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

I guess in terms of reception. I agree that Paranormal Activity is probably the top now.

I am meaning the fact that it got critically acclaimed and the movie wasn't that good. Sure there are a few other movies like that but Invictus was this years Babel.

May 18 - 06:27 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Eh. I thought it was okay. Although I think if it didn't involve Eastwood and Freeman the critics probably would have been a little more harsh.

May 18 - 01:29 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Yeeessss!!! Finally, I can watch The Spy Next Door without a hundred kids yelling!!! Awessss--uhm never mind.....

May 17 - 06:57 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Those kids would drown out the horrors of the abomination known as "Spy Next Door".

May 17 - 11:19 PM

Jon C.

Jon Cox

this weeks releases: SKIP

May 17 - 07:42 PM

Taylor A.

Taylor Agnew

But what about The Messenger? I've been wanting to see that since I missed it in theaters! Just from the previews, I know that Woody's part is going to be hauntingly real.

May 17 - 08:50 PM

jay z.

jay groon

Ben Foster did not get snubbed.

it was a hell of a year for the Best Actor category at the Oscars,
and Jeff Bridges was head and shoulders above the rest of the nominees, and of course those who were left out....

May 17 - 08:51 PM

Taylor A.

Taylor Agnew

Jeff Bridges will always be The Dude in my eyes, but I'd love to see Wildheart!

May 17 - 08:53 PM

May 18 - 01:29 PM

Taylor A.

Taylor Agnew

May 17 - 08:50 PM

jay z.

jay groon

Ben Foster did not get snubbed.

it was a hell of a year for the Best Actor category at the Oscars,

May 17 - 08:51 PM

Taylor A.

Taylor Agnew

Jeff Bridges will always be The Dude in my eyes, but I'd love to see Wildheart!

May 17 - 08:53 PM

Taylor A.

Taylor Agnew

Sorry, *Crazy Heart

May 17 - 08:55 PM

Taylor A.

Taylor Agnew

Jeff Bridges will always be The Dude in my eyes, but I'd love to see Wildheart!

May 17 - 08:53 PM

May 18 - 06:27 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

May 18 - 01:29 PM

Quadzilla99

Aaron Yovanovits

Arnold made Kindergarten Cop when his career was thriving so he didn't "end up" at children's movies he made them earlier in the more successful portion of his career.

May 18 - 09:08 AM

Nick R.

Nick Russett

he did however end up making collateral damage. Fireman really?

May 18 - 12:35 PM

Nick R.

Nick Russett

he did however end up making collateral damage. Fireman really?

May 18 - 12:35 PM

M.C.P.

Todd Bruther

Ya, nothing for me this week.
But I'll leave you with this.

"Gamera! Gamera!
Gamera is really neat!
Gamera is filled with meat!
We've been eating Gamera!"

End of Line

May 18 - 12:38 PM

Dave J

Dave J

I'm going on the look-out for "The Messenger"!!! "Walkabout" and the "Oshima's Outlaw Sixties" seem interesting to me!!

May 18 - 12:52 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

May 18 - 01:29 PM

The Whiz

The Bigredhunk

"The Messenger" was good, not great. I thought Foster did as good of a job or a better job than Woody, who got all the credit.

"Invictus" is a rent. Ditto for "Extraordinary Measures," which I'm sure is very "meh." "Valentine's Day" sucked balls. "Love Actually" was good.

Next week "The Road." I liked that flick. It deserved a better fate. The bleakness should've earned more pub for the cinematographers. "Babysitter Wanted" is probably a lame rental.

6/1:

GREEN ZONE
THE CRAZIES
CREATION
THE WHITE RIBBON
PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS
PREDATOR BLU-RAY
MAD ABOUT YOU S4 (After a 3-4 year hiatus)

7/6:

A SINGLE MAN
BROOKLYN'S FINEST

May 18 - 01:33 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

The website says Green Zone will come out on 6/22
And it was great, screw the 54%!!

May 18 - 05:14 PM

The Whiz

The Bigredhunk

Yeah, you're right. "Green Zone" got moved up a week. They just changed that. Weird.

May 18 - 07:20 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

Invictus and Messenger are definite rentals since I didn't get to see them in theaters. Other than that, a pretty weak DVD lineup this week.

May 18 - 10:02 PM