Invictus Reviews

July 16, 2014
Didn't quite meet my expectations. It was still a solid story and Morgan Freeman was excellent as Mandela.
July 15, 2014
The most important and most entertaining game of rugby I have ever seen.
June 21, 2014
morgan freeman is not at his best acting as nelson mandela he takes this role and makes it very boring directing by clint eastwood is not good either
June 19, 2014
Perhaps a little too one-dimensional, but still a very powerful portrayal of a man who helped to heal a nation and set an example of generosity of spirit for millions.
June 13, 2014
The realistic depictions from Damon and Morgan is well received. the story lacks enthusiasm yet still retains a powerful and uplifting feeling in the end.
June 7, 2014
inspiring and moving, great movie for current and future leaders to watch
March 6, 2011
Con una seguridad tremenda, Invictus es un futuro clásico gracias a sus inspiradores temas y la sola presencia de Morgan Freeman.
½ January 21, 2011
Why didn't I see this in theaters? I just thought that INVICTUS would be a boring sports drama! But, when I saw it, I was wrong. It's actually a powerful and stellar true story with an awesome lead performance by Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela!
April 22, 2014
Pretty good if predictable biopic. Eastwood's taste and lightness of touch elevate otherwise standard material.
½ April 17, 2014
matt damon did his part justice. a very bold man, with the talent that will make you believe every thing he does perfectly. I am convinced by it, moved by all of the details. however, it goes a bit slow, leaves very little impression afterwards. may be because the soundtrack was no very striking. but a very bold film indeed
April 14, 2014
It's hardly a masterpiece and it does conform to basic filmmaking guidelines, but the story and drama behind the film, not to mention Freeman and Damon's performances, make it a great piece of viewing.
April 7, 2014
A powerful film about how a nation created by powerful and charismatic leader, Nelson Mandela. Morgan Freeman simply the best cast to become Madiba Mandela. He just nailed it. And the story itself is as strong as all the casts performances.
April 24, 2012
Invictus is full of heart and realistic themes that make it easy to believe it as a true story but suffers from a lack of cinematic touch as a result. It is too slow-paced and lacks a narrative that encourages character depth. However, it is still a heartwarming story of people coming together in unlikely circumstances. Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon are wonderful.
March 5, 2014
Nelson Mandela was an inspirational figure and in this film it shows him from the time he got elected as President of South Africa and how he used rugby during the time the rugby world cup was hosted by South Africa to not only united the blacks and the white but united the whole of South Africa. Brilliantly directed by Clint Eastwood and the cast were fantastic in bringing the film to life with Morgan Freeman's flawless portrayal of Mandela and Matt Damon likewise as Francois Pienaar
½ March 8, 2014
A very endearing movie, and very moving. With the recent death of Nelson Mandela, it's nice to see a very accurate portrayal (by Mr. Freeman), and a feel-good movie about teamwork and country pride.
½ March 6, 2014
Morgan Freeman easily could be the God of the movies, and not just because he's played him once or twice. Freeman appears in films near constantly, conveying his wise aura to the audience without us ever second guessing him - he's a man that's easy to believe as one that stands above the rest of us, a little smarter, and a little more sure of his actions.
So, in essence, playing Nelson Mandela is a fitting role for him, considering he so capably mirrors Mandela's peacefulness and grace without even batting an eyelash. "Invictus" gives him the chance to show off his chameleon like acting ability, embodying every little detail about the great, inspiring South African President.
The film begins with Mandela's 1990 release from his 27-year long prison sentence, a sentence in which most men would lose themselves to bitterness and leave their cell a good deal more cynical, focusing on the negative aspects of life rather than the positive ones. This isn't the case for Mandela, who walks out with optimism and keeps it in mind that he still isn't done changing South Africa, a country still divided by blatant racism.
After being elected President four years later, he becomes increasingly concerned with the violence that constantly erupts between the black and white population. When he attends a rugby match between the Springboks, South Africa's union team, and England, Mandela notices that the black onlookers are rooting for England - he realizes that the Springboks, though representing their country, give a representation of off-putting prejudice. Due to the popularity of the sport, Mandela realizes that, if he manages to turn the Springboks' reputation around, he could unite the country, once and for all.
Aided by the captain of the team, François Pienaar (Matt Damon, who portrays his character with winning boldness), a man who is truly inspired by Mandela's strong soul, the possibility of winning the 1995 Rugby World Cup could bring South Africa together, finally.
A main problem with most "based on a true story" films, is that they either try too hard to stand apart, choosing style over substance, or they are a bit more lenient to make things scream Hollywood, amplifying the pros while compartmentalizing the cons. "Invictus", which is directed by Clint Eastwood, who has always been able to hit a good balance between thought-provoking intelligence and popcorn entertainment, reaches the invigorating high points it's looking for while still putting things into perspective. It's smart but still accessible.
Mandela is a man of legend, one that has the same kind of untouchable greatness that only has been captured by few people, like Gandhi or Mother Teresa. "Invictus" shows him as a man so unbreakable in spirit and so forgiving of the flawed world around him that there isn't a second where we don't watch his actions with jaw-dropping awe. Sure, it may not be the real man standing in front of us, but Freeman plays him with such believability that there isn't any doubt in mind.
The film moves along with such power that there seems to be nothing stopping it - Mandela has never been portrayed in such a fine manner. "Invictus" hits the right balance of emotional strength and factual evidence. This is a movie that leaves us gasping in triumph by the end, a great accomplishment for such a great film.
March 2, 2014
I'm not overly keen on rugby, but watching the inspirational journey of Nelson Mandela and Francois Peinaar bond and contribute to their countries economic state and the Rugby World Cup. It us very admirable and extremely well directed by Clint Eastwood, Invictus is inspirational, convoluted and somewhat roused. 4/5.
½ October 28, 2009
This movie started out slow, and I mean real slow... Gran Torino was about a retired Clint Eastwood observing some Hmong neighbors, and that movie felt even more thrilling than Invictus. So just in case anyone is wondering, yes, Invictus does suffer greatly from lack of engaging plot devices. Otherwise, the message is very uplifting and the performances plausible, and it even got me interested in taking up rugby.