Ip Man

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Ip Man Reviews

Carlos M

January 19, 2014
The unfortunate lack of structure and focus of the irregular script is compensated by an outstanding cinematography and production design, a wonderful score and - above all else - spectacular fight scenes of the most exhilarating and well choreographed ever filmed.
Albert K

June 30, 2011
An actual martial arts film that had drama that worked. It didn't rely on good choreography in order to make the movie entertaining; the character-driven plot was enough to keep me engaged.
Lewis C

July 2, 2011
Ip Man is an excellent martial arts film that combines some of the best fight scenes on film with a great story that's involving, occasionally amusing, stirring, powerful, and true.

The movie is split into two parts: the beginning, where we're introduced to Ip Man, his family, his city, and his style of martial arts, and the second half, which chronicles the struggles and hardship of the characters after the Japanese invasion of World War 2. The tone of both halves is very different, but they both work equally well. And there are lots of fantastic fight sequences in both, though those in the second half are for far higher stakes than those in the first.

Great acting, beautiful sets, and perfectly suited music accompany the strong story and fight choreography. It's no exaggeration to say that it's really hard to find fault in this movie. If you're at all interested in martial arts or this period in China's history, see Ip Man as soon as possible.
Anthony L

July 1, 2011
I like a martial arts film as much as the next man. I haven't seen that many to be fair but it is my intention to do so but I'm certainly no expert.

Ip Man is just as much about China during WW2 as it is about the legendary martial arts master and this is handled well. I didn't care much for the direction though, the awesome fight scenes aside, it was a bit 'Hallmark' for my tastes, the continual change of colour filters got on my nerves. I think a hardcore kung-fu fan would tell you otherwise but for me this was good but not amazing as many of the reviews I've read have suggested but it's definitely worth checking out, like I said, the fight scenes are awesome and Donnie Yen is one cool guy!
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

June 11, 2011
Action drama and semi-biopic of one of the pioneers of the Wushu martial-arts school and also teacher and mentor to the legend Bruce Lee. Donnie Yen stars as Ip Man in 1930s China overcoming challenges by Kung-Fu masters seeking to prove the superiority of their technique over his... they all fail, but when Japanese forces invade this presents new challenges of its own. The fight scenes are fantastic in this with brilliant choreography with the duels in the Japanese dojo being particularly brutal. Really enjoyed this, looking forward to the sequel.
Al S

May 9, 2011
This movie is just plain awesome from start to finish. One of the greatest martial arts films ever made. hands down. A spectacular masterpiece of a film. This film has some of the greatest fight sequences ever put on a film, they are delivered with such fiery energy and ferocious velocity and dedication. Donnie Yen gives a dazzling and remarkable performance that just shines. A powerful, riveting and utterly inspirational movie. A knockout that truly takes your breath away. An exhilarating action-packed epic that strikes with a deadly blow. This flick never lets up. A fast, stylish, eye-blasting and furiously entertaining action film. It's absolutely brilliant. An instant classic.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

March 14, 2011
Have I lost my interest in modern kung fu films or is this one just that bad. Missing are the old school sound effects thank god for that. Also missing are the Kung Fu Fantasy Moves like flying thought the air. But this is a modern film but time from is from time period Japan invaded China. Of course when have Master IP who is hero that whips every bad guy that crosses his path. Only 3 stars from me on this one.
Kristijonas F

March 11, 2011
Mind-blowingly cool.
Aaron N

March 6, 2011
Master Ip: I wish to fight ten men.

Ip Man - the 'Life is Beautiful' of martial arts films.
Mark H

December 20, 2008
Biography loosely based on Ip Man, grandmaster of the martial art Wing Chun and early mentor to actor Bruce Lee. Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen plays the legendary martial artist. He presents him as a humble man who lives in an unobtrusive manner. His understated performance adds significantly to this character driven film. Yen's subtle interpretation is diametrically opposed to the story's oversimplification of his life, however. The narrative can be rather fawning at times. The script glorifies him as an invincible saint. Any viewer will be able to predict how the showdowns will end even before they begin. Nevertheless, the fight sequences are highlighted by choreography that is nothing less than extraordinary. They are a definite high point. In one particularly stunning scene, Ip Man chooses to battle ten men in retaliation for the death of his friend. It's an exhilarating display worth the price of admission. If you're looking for a penetrating historical biography, look elsewhere, but if you desire an entertaining story with astonishing action, you won't be disappointed.
Jason S

January 5, 2011
A well made and well acted flick. The fight choreography in this flick ranges from great to flippin ridiculous as Ip Man takes out folks with such skill that it made me shout out loud with each bone snapping hit. I loved it.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

September 30, 2010
i am joining the growing list of people that agree that this may be the best martial arts film of all time. there are many great ones out there, but the choreography in this film is stunning, and yip capitalized on just about every moment in the film with precision to draw awe, emotion, and complete joy. its great to know that amazing martial arts films like this are still being made.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 20, 2009
Kick ass martial arts film with a healthy dose of Chinese history.
Cynthia S

November 17, 2010
An instant classic. One of the very best MA films I have ever seen. Donnie Yen is one of the best out there. Sammo Hungs choreography is top-notch. Wilson Yip has directed a masterpiece of a film. It is epic in nature. Start to finish it held my attention. Any MA film buff would be doing themselves an injustice by missing out on this film. Restart, and watch it again, and again!! IP MAN= Incredibley Pleasing Man! BUT WARNING..DON'T WATCH IT DUBBED! GET THE DVD AND DO THE SUBTITILES....
deano
deano

March 10, 2009
Marvelous! I couldn't believe this Hong Kong kung fu movie is based on an extraordinary true story of the accomplished grandmaster of Wing Chun Kung Fu and the master of superstar Bruce Lee. This is really interested story since Jet Li's Fearless. Donnie Yen delivers a truly solid performance on the acting side, carrying the burden of a nation on his shoulders with gravitas. The final bout is epic, but for me it was one scene about halfway through that got my heart beating faster. It involves Donnie, ten Japanese karate practitioners and some of the most furious fighting I've ever seen on screen. You can really sense the anger of his character in this scene. Great stuff.
At 44 years of age, Yen looks so energetic, confident and charismatic. I believe the combination of Yen, Sammo Hung and Wilson Yip is the right choice for this particular film and fighting style. Wing Chun is best depicted without the flamboyant ballet of acrobatics often seen in other wushu films.
kpn666
kpn666

May 13, 2009
Another martial arts epic for the ages, though this time Donnie Yen takes the lead, and deservingly so. Ip Man is a great movie, though not 100% accurate, but enjoyable and heartfelt as it tells the story of one of China's most revered Masters who later creates one of the world's largest legacy of martial arts, which is Wing Chun.

In the tradition of the Jet Li epics such as Once Upon a Tiime in China and Fearless, I guess this stands out more because of Donnie Yen's performance, which he took literally to heart and soul, as if he embodied the spirit of the man himself. With veteran Simon Yam and Sammo Hung as Action choreographer, how can this not be a great kung fu movie??

Anyways, in 1937-1945, China was invaded by Japan. After a light and humorous start to introduce the persona of Ip Man, the Master and his world was thrown into chaos, though he tried to make the best of it, he realised that his peaceful life and the solidarity that he hoped for himself and his family is impossible, and thus uses his unique skills to fight back oppression and give hope to his people. In the end, in order to survive, he will eventually leave China for Hong Kong, and I guess the next movie will tell that story.

Anyways, great cast and acting, this is a serious film though it has its moments. The music was undoubtledy a throwback to the traditional chinese kung fu music, but it blended well... the setting and cinematography was right, though it surely was no Hero or House of Flying Daggers, but its simplicity and mood which sold its vision and quality as an overall package.

Anyways, this a really great film on many levels on my opinion, not just the action. Probably because they had Ip Man's descendants help work on creating that authentic feel to the movie.

Two thumbs up.
EightThirty .

July 26, 2009
Absolutely Brilliant..Watch this and you'll wanna learn Wing-chun too ha ha ha ^_^
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

May 20, 2009
"The celebrated Kung Fu master of Bruce Lee."

A semi-biographical account of Yip Man, the first martial arts master to teach the Chinese martial art of Wing Chun.

REVIEW
Excellent direction, photography and set design enliven this account of Wing Chun instructor Yip Man's life before he moved to Hong Kong. Every Wing Chun instructor today tries to make a lineage connection to Yip Man to legitimize their teaching so he is a very important figure in Kung Fu. Donnie Yen portrays the master with intense reserve and is possibly the best acting in his career. It surprised me for sure.

The story line of this film is invented as historical accounts show Yip Man to have been a police officer in the time frame this film covers, not staying at home and only practicing kung fu as depicted here. Also the film claims that he refused to teach anybody but that is also not true. He left for Hong Kong a few years after WW2 not in the middle of it as this film presents. The plot with the Japanese army seems invented although they did ask him to teach the troops which he refused.

However the film muddies up the historical record, that is not to say it isn't a great film. Sammo Hung's choreography is exceptional and a throwback to his great kung fu films of the early 1980's. The martial arts are done with great respect to traditional styles although some wire work is used to assist the actors with the difficult acrobatic moves. No flying across the room in this film.

Although the ending is a little abrupt, this is one kung fu film that can be recommended to people who don't like these films. Highly recommended.
skactopus
skactopus

December 17, 2008
Wilson Yip is no stranger to working with Donnie Yen, so what better combination to bring a part action, part historical, biography of the man who trained Bruce Lee to the big screen.The story is a tad weak and from my understanding, it isn't entirely accurate. Then again, what ever is these days? I guess this is why this film is more semi-biographical. There is basically 2 parts to this 1 hour 40 minute picture. The first 30-40 minutes is all character buildup for Ip Man and some of the supporting characters, while the final 1 hour is where the story kicks in.One thing with this film is that the segments between the fights tend to serve as fillers. It isn't that the film sucks, because it doesn't. It is just the fights are that d*** spectacular and that is all the viewer will want to see.As for the fights themselves, the choreography, thanks to Sammo Hung, is superb. There isn't a ton of time spent with the slow motion either, and this is a plus. The fights are fast, so let us view them that way.Donnie Yen does a decent job with the acting, but it comes down to his marital arts once again. Hands down, he can fight. The supporting cast is good. Simon Yam, Ka Tung Lam, and Yu Xing carry this picture in the acting department and leave the action to Donnie Yen.Ip Man is a very good historical martial arts film, even though the story may be lacking a bit. No question, that this is a must see for Donnie Yen fans.
Luke B

February 11, 2009
A fantastic martial arts film that puts it's genre ahead of the historical facts. This isn't a bad thing, as it produces one of the best Kung Fu films of recent memory. The first half is an introduction to Ip Man. It's fairly lighthearted and has some great lines. The son on his tricycle riding round the house is a particularly funny moment. There are some great fights which are a lot of fun to watch. The choreography is fluent and not so unrealistic. The second half throws Ip Man into more serious territory as he and his family lose their home and must ration their food. It becomes more of a "hurrah" for China film but tells it through one man. Again some epic fights that, unlike the first half, carry emotional weight. It's a solid piece of film making and fun Kung Fu story telling.