Ip Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ip Man Reviews

½ July 8, 2015
The best martial arts movie I've seen since "Kung Fu Hustle" and "The Raid." Donnie Yen has to be one of the greatest movie action stars our our time. Its a shame most Americans don't even know who he is.
½ July 5, 2015
Was gud movi3. I luvd de fites. And good plot.
June 8, 2015
Esta semi-biografia do mestre de Bruce Lee traz uma lufada de ar fresco no género dos filmes de artes marciais. São descartados os golpes voadores de fantasia em favor de combate mais realista com os pés bem mais assentes na terra, com uma brilhante coreografia de combate elevada de forma espantosa por Donnie Yen que transforma "Ip Man" num filme oriental bastante acessível ao publico em geral devido também a uma boa carga emocional e dramática.
April 2, 2010
There's so much more to it than just amazing martial arts.
March 3, 2015
I wish they would have shown more of the Japanese takeover, but the rest of the story was great.
October 1, 2011
Melhor filme de artes marciais chinesas de sempre hands down. O facto de ser uma historia veridica ainda ajuda á coisa. ^^
January 31, 2015
This movie's ability to tell a story through it's high speed action is undeniably impressive. But umm...what's the story it's trying to tell? Is it the rise and fall and rise again story? If so, Edmond Wong had no idea how to write one. Is it a story about defending the honor of your homeland? If that's it, then there couldn't be a more cliche way to tell it. Is it a tribute to classic martial arts films? If that was it, wouldn't it be way more lighthearted, fun and absurd? Maybe the seriousness of the film indicates that it's a period piece about occupied China in the 30s and 40s. But you certainly didn't tell that story well. I hate to tell you this, but as far as literary content goes, this is a couple steps above Naruto. And the racism doesn't help. I understand you're pissed, the Japanese did some fucked up shit. But imagine a holocaust movie from the perspective of a Jew where he says "Germans don't deserve the wisdom of The Torah" or some hot garbage like that. Yeah. Our antagonist has sympathetic elements and obstacles, our protagonist seems invincible at many points, and the structure is way off. Ultimately, whatever you could get out of this movie you could get better from watching kung-fu in a competitive setting.
Robbanflix
February 6, 2009
Finally a superb martial art movie the way i like it. Long time since i enjoyed a flick in this genre this much. The story are rather simple and good overall. The great Donnie Yen plays Ip Man , a master of Wing Chun style and its a true story based flick. The movie are much about martial art with nice fight scenes but also a part about the war against Japanese. I can highly recommend this movie if you like asian martial arts movies. Enjoy
October 23, 2014
Ip Man is a great testament to the life of a humble and enigmatic real-life hero.
½ December 18, 2014
Pleasantly surprised. What started out as a hokey and generic kung fu movie, turned into an oft-times poignant snapshot of life in China through the Japanese occupation during WW2. This movie has a few more layers to it than I expected.
March 22, 2013
Donnie Yen, un astro de las artes marciales poco conocido en Occidente, encarna a Ip Man, un legendario maestro del Wushu (escuela de artes marciales China) y mentor de Bruce Lee. En esta primera parte de una trilogía, se nos cuenta como Ip Man se enfrenta al yugo japonés en China. La historia es básica, pero las escenas de acción son más que grandiosas y pagan toda la película.
November 11, 2012
A great martial arts film that also tells a semi-biographic & semi-historic life of the Shifu (Master) of Bruce Lee: Yip Man. Filled with great action sequences, it will keep your adrenaline going.
½ October 4, 2014
An awesome movie! Sad...but very good!^^
September 29, 2014
Ip Man is simply the most epic martial arts film I had seen in a long long time. If you combine a very humane story added to the most spectacle of martial arts styles you get IP Man. Donnie Yen is just one of the best in Hong Kong cinema. He's style and charisma is perfectly fit for this role. Just don't blink, you will miss every single moment which happened to be epic in every way.
June 13, 2014
A historical martial arts pic from start to the finish!.. Yen added color to the film...
August 22, 2014
Great film! Finally seen it and didn't disappoint. Great representation of the Wing Chun Kung Fu philosophy, good story (though may not be fully historically accurate!), and great fight scenes. End fight could have been more full-on but can't complain!
August 13, 2014
I really didn't see a [problem with this film. No poor detail, fantastic fights, and a well-written story make this film one of the very few "perfect" movies I have seen.
August 13, 2014
August 21, 2012
A very deep film about Ip Man, trainer of Bruce Lee. Most martial arts films have a sour plot, but Ip Man is written well and the plot is just as interesting as the fighting.
½ August 5, 2014
The Kung Fu is as impressive as the baddies are one-dimensional. And if you happen to be a Chinese patriot, you're guaranteed to love Ip Man.