The Iron Giant - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Iron Giant Reviews

April 23, 2008
An alien from the skies befriends a young boy and their friendship is the center of this tale about loyalty and family in the face of serious opposition. Most everything here is done with a light touch allowing the audience, us, to come to our own conclusions with the exception of the bad guy, a government agent. Its a decent story decently told and worth looking for.
October 16, 2015
Excellent and heartwarming traditionally animated film. You will believe in the Iron Giant.
July 11, 2014
Touching, warm, visually stunning. Those are the best ways to describe this film. Add an amazing story, an outstanding screenplay, great casting and great direction and you have an amazing movie. The Iron Giant is a movie worth watching
½ October 15, 2015
Quite possibly my favourite animated film outside the realm of Pixar. The Iron Giant works on a level that provides entertainment for children, but a powerful storyline that adults can admire. This film's direction is as smooth as if it were in live-action.
½ June 13, 2011
A great animated sci-fi set in the mid 50s with a dated topic and clever cues, with a big heart and great animation. (A)

(Full review coming soon)
October 4, 2015
Back in 1999, this movie was a big hit with critics anyone who saw it but flopped pretty hard at the box office after Warner Bros' "Quest for Camelot" came out the preceding year to little fanfare. Now, Brad Bird's Annie-Winning Magnum Opus "The Iron Giant" was given a two-day Fathom Events release on Wednesday, Sept. 30 and Sunday, Oct. 4 and even with the Signature Edition is still as powerful and wonderful today as it was 16 years ago.

"The Iron Giant", directed of course by Bird (Academy Award-winner for The Iron Giant and Ratatouille), is a powerful gem in the medium of animated features, not only featuring some incredibly beautiful 2D animation that even today is still more amazing and passionate than most CG-animated features coming out nowadays, but it's also got a good story that's easy to both follow and get into, a cast of memorable characters, a LOVABLE kid-like robot voiced by Vin Diesel being one of them, a lot of funny moments, a lot of touching moments, and one incredible climax and ending unique to something like this. This is an incredible, endearing masterpiece of feature animation I am glad is getting more attention today and is still one of my favorite animated movies of all time.
October 1, 2015
A crowning masterpiece from Brad Bird right out of the gate. This gem was easily the last great American 2D animated film and should be hailed in the highest annals of the medium.
November 24, 2007
I loved this. Had heard it was really good, but was released when I (born 1979) was too old to see this sort of thing at the cinema, so bought on DVD on the strength of the good news I'd heard about it, and was pleasantly surprised.
½ September 30, 2015
The Iron Giant is beautifully animated, funny, heartwarming, and exciting, everything that makes a great animated family adventure, as well as a Bullseye for Warner Bros. Animation, an extremely likable voice performance by Vin Diesel, and strong direction by Brad Bird, and the extended Signature Edition makes it even better!
½ April 2, 2013
It's an entertaining enough movie and the animation is done well enough that this movie feels more like a landmark movie than an immortal piece of cinema that is watchable no matter the year. To a child it might hold all the wonder and adventure you'd want and expect, but to me it feels like the characters, despite their well portrayed relationships and struggles, are too traditional and flat, while the lack of explanation regarding the giant's abilities and origins provide just enough plot convenience to move the movie forward. Either way, the movie is - and surely was at the time of its debut -, a marvel to look at and an honestly innovative story that deserved a telling.
½ May 12, 2014
For the most part, animated movies are upbeat brightly spirited affairs with personified singing plants, objects, or animals, but this movie breaks that mold. It has a highly original style and approach that are most refreshing. The animation employed here has a straightforward and has a soft realistic look. More importantly, it has quality characters and an excellent heartwarming story with meaning behind it. An alien robot sent to destroy earth it lands in New England, but the landing damages its programming, and it has no memory. The 1950s setting is so great here, because it is the height of paranoia from the cold war and outer space invaders. A lonely boy discovers him, teaches him and forms a genuine friendship with the giant. Even though he is a walking weapon, the boy teaches him that who you are who you choose to be. Their interactions along with the animation style give the giant a soul and make him feel as lovable as a pet dog. It is a touching story with an emotional ending that resonates. This is more than a feel-good animated movie; it is a worthy science fiction movie.
September 8, 2015
A well-written, emotional, and a pretty much flawless masterpiece from the same director who eventually wrote and directed The Incredibles, The Iron Giant tells an emotional story about choice and purpose, how our choices define who we are and not who created us or what people tell us. "You are what you choose to be". With a brilliant cast and the brilliant voice-acting of Vin Diesel as the Giant, this film ends with a tear-jerking high note that will leave a precious memory in the minds of many. 5/5
September 6, 2015
One of the greatest animated films of all time.Absolute masterpiece.
½ July 11, 2015
one of the many films i used to watch.
June 22, 2008
Las mejores encarnaciones de Superman es donde de plano no es Úl. Vin Diesel da sus mejores lineas en esta cinta y en Guardians of the galaxy y parenle de contar.
May 23, 2015
my second favorite animated movie. Toy story 1 is my favorite
August 24, 2015
I love "The Iron Giant" back then, and love it now as it continues to be timeless for its story, characters, animation, direction, music, etc. I can just go on about it, but everyone knows that this is a wonderful movie so that kids and adults would enjoy. This is Brad Bird's greatest achievement, and looking forward to see his new cut of the movie as it comes out this year. Really love it!
½ August 17, 2015
While this is basically E.T. with a robot instead of an alien, The Iron Giant is still a wonderful film, with great animation, has very complex human relationships and some very touching and emotional moments.
August 14, 2015
A astonishingly underrated film. One of Brad Bird's greatest movies.
August 9, 2015
I have to say that this move was magical the first time i saw it years ago, and I hope it gets more good press with the re-release. Everything that transformers could have hoped to be.