Iron Jawed Angels Reviews

September 27, 2014
Excellent movie. Excellent acting.
January 7, 2014
5 stars - every man, woman, and child should see it. As democracy appears to be losing ground in the U.S. for more than one reason, the story of how women got the vote inspires one to fight for what is right and just for every citizen.
October 24, 2013
Hilary Swank is actually hot which I had no idea (at least in this), and the movie picks up in the second half. When Swank gets jailed and gets all rogue its actually interesting... sort of. Music is so out of place at times you can't help but laugh.
June 13, 2013
Can't help but think "why is Patrick Dempsey in this movie?" Was there some reason for throwing him into the mix besides needing to have a "hunk" in it? I think the movie would've proved okay anyway....
June 11, 2013
Slow-moving, but a fascinating story. I have not fully appreciated the women who fought for the vote.
½ February 18, 2013
this is one really good movie!!!!
December 29, 2012
Although not-rated I would rate this "PG-13" as there is a nude butt scene, two bath scenes, and a middle finger so don't watch this with young children and only with adolescents if they are very mature and you're explaining things to them. This movie was extremely well-done, powerful, and motivational. After seeing the young activists for women's suffrage risked for my right to vote, I will never again throw away my vote thinking it doesn't count for much. I LOVED the costumes, music, and overall beautiful cinematography. The acting is superb.
October 17, 2012
You go Hillary! It was very well acted. No wonder she has two Oscars
½ November 29, 2009
It is an interesting but true fact that that other nations like England, New Zealand, Russia and some other countries all gave women the vote before America did. A truly remarkable story with an impressive casts. Strong performances from its leads, and Hilary Swank and Frances O'Connor. Swank portrays an American feminist who risked her life to fight for women's citizenship and the right to vote. Swank certainly proves she's got what it takes to play this indomitable spirit. This HBO feature is an inspiring but also an excruciating look at what women were willing to sacrifice and what humiliations they were willing to endure to secure a woman's right to vote even as America stood on the precipice of WWI. The movie does not flinch away from the brutality that women suffered while in prison. Lookout for Vera Farmiga.
September 20, 2012
Of the posts you show below--the men hated it and the lone women loved it....Go Figure.
August 10, 2012
I was really disturbed and horrified by some of the scenes in this film, which is about the struggle in the early 1900's to gain women the right to vote. It's about Alice Paul, an American feminist who, with the help of her friend Lucy Burns, write and struggle to pass the 19th amendment. To see this dramatic portrayal of history is more moving than simply knowing how much women have had to fight for our right to vote. Hell, they fought with each women - Alice founded the National Woman's Party (NSW) because the group they worked with (NAWSA) weren't doing much. They were wishy washy women who tried to justify their own oppression. Ugh. The NSW members protested peacefully and were attacked by a mob, sent to prison, put in straightjackets, were subjected to torture and were force fed milk and eggs during a hunger strike. So every time a woman doesn't vote when they are able, I am going to have this image in my mind and want to smack them in the head for their ignorance. We inherited our freedom and it's our job to keep it. On Aug. 26, 1920, the Susan B. Anthony Amendment becomes law, and 20 million American women won the right to vote. We don't make the same amount of pay as men and are still discriminated against, and although we make up the majority of the population, we are in the minority of political leaders. We have a long way to go. The very least we can do is vote. Dammit. :-)
March 30, 2012
Full review coming soon
April 25, 2012
Not bad..but the use of modern music was off putting and not needed..it really took me out of the time period it was suppose to be set in....probably one of the worst directed HBO movies ever made.
March 31, 2012
Interesting, but its style is too muddy.
February 27, 2012
Very very great movie!
½ February 16, 2012
Powerful. This film was an interesting portrayal of an historical interpretation of women's suffrage. It was nice to be reminded early in the film that this movement was for votes for WHITE women. Weird soundtrack (It opened with a Fuel song).
January 25, 2012
Based on a true story, 'Iron Jawed Angels' is a good retelling of Alice Paul leading the suffrage movement and help the US government win their right to vote. Starring fine acting performances by Hilary Swank, Anjelica Huston, and Frances O'Connor.
½ January 13, 2012
The emotional and terrible struggle these women went through so that Women could vote in America! And to think that today in 2009 some women stll do not vote. Watch this movie and see just what we had to endour to be "equal".
December 17, 2011
Impresionante relato sobre la lucha de las mujeres estadounidenses por su derecho al voto.
July 22, 2007
This was a fantastic movie that showed the suffering to get Women's suffrage, but very moving and powerful.