(Another) Update on the "Avengers"

Yep, it's more Marvel news! But seriously: What could be cooler than a movie FILLED with all the superstar superheroes??

Yes, Warner Bros. has a "Justice League" movie that they're working on, and that'll be awesome -- if it ever happens, but over on the Marvel side of the universe there seems to be some definite thoughts regarding an "Avengers" movie. It just won't see the light of day for quite some time is all.

Although Marvel retains the right to practically all of the Avengers (save for The Hulk), their plan is to wait for each hero to get their own flick before any combo movies take place. Which means we'll most likely have to wait for "The Incredible Hulk," "Iron Man," "Thor," "Ant-Man," and "Captain America" to hit the screen solo-style. Since all of these movies are in early stages of development, the "Avengers" movie does seem to be on the horizon. The rather distant horizon, but still...

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Comments

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

If these days are any indication, we could be getting a lot of other Marvel news throughout the summer.

Jun 16 - 09:08 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

People might be sick and tired of superhero movies by then. I have a feeling that most of these films will bomb big time. I wouldn't even bother with Ant Man!

Jun 16 - 09:21 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

You're probably right. Just keep the ones that WILL be good coming (TDK, IM, maybe Wolverine)

Jun 16 - 09:44 AM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

Again you prove that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Jun 16 - 11:17 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Are you by any chance related to the egotistical Stan Lee? I can't stand him either!

Jun 16 - 11:41 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Shoo troll, shoo!

Jun 17 - 06:39 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Jun 16 - 09:44 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

But instead of just coming out with movies about seperate characters and then movies about groups that have those seperate characters, shouldn't they just do one and not the other?

Jun 16 - 09:46 AM

darkringer

luke lyons

I look forward to it. I hope its good.

Jun 16 - 10:10 AM

Dinalfos 2

Rohan B

"Although Marvel retains the right to practically all of the Avengers (save for The Hulk?)"

Huh? I thought the Hulk moved back to Marvel before the second movie was announced?

Jun 16 - 10:28 AM

[b]Look Guys,[/b]
Some of you are getting sick of superhero movies, but you have to realize something. Thanks to modern technology a revolution is at hand. All of our lives we have wanted to see our comic book heroes come to life but have been restricted to the genre of cartoon show or special. Now, thanks to more accessible special effects, we can finally see our comic heroes come to life.

Growing up, all I had to watch were the Superman and Batman movies, but I always ached for the Marvel characters in their own movies. Now it is finally happening, and I couldn't be happier.

If you're sick of superhero movies, all I can offer you is to just not go. You're obviously no fan of comic books.

Jun 16 - 10:37 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Too much of a good thing is always bad for you. Even comic book films.

Jun 16 - 10:51 AM

sputnik 99

Look, sourpuss, you are obviously a comic hater.

IF YOU HATE COMIC MOVIES SO MUCH THEN STAY AWAY FROM THE FORUMS TALKING ABOUT THEM!!!

You've got a big chip on your shoulder, cg. Get rid of it.

Jun 16 - 12:13 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

[b]I Love Comic Books[/b]
I am not a sourpuss. On the contrary, I love comic books. I have been collecting and enjoying them since 1967. I have read DC, Marvel and some independents. I just think the comic book medium is very unique. Films can't quite capture what I see when I look at the beautiful artwork in comic books. Even the writing in comic books is better than most of the writing in the superhero films I have seen so far. In other words, I have more faith in comic books than I do with the films they are making about them.

Jun 16 - 12:33 PM

sputnik 99

You can't expect a film to make you feel the same way that a comic book does. It's a different genre. Does a music video feel the same as a CD? Of course not. They're different genres.

A superhero movie asks the question of "What would it be like if we used a comic book character in a motion picture genre?" Sometimes they don't quite fit, and things need to be altered. Hard-core fans hate that, but if movies want to appeal to a vast scale audience, they have to make some things a bit less "unrealistic." I think that's why Galactus was changed into a more believable spacestrom instead of a giant guy in a purple suit. Now don't get me wrong, I am a hard-core fan and would have preffered to see ol' purple-suit Galactus, but I understand why they changed it, and I'm not gonna bitch about it.

The comic book medium is unique, and special, and if movies could copy the way it makes you feel the medium would be ruined forever. I'll wager ten years from now the superhero movie craze will be over, and when we look back, we will be happy it happened, because it gave new life to the comic book medium, but could never copy it.

Jun 16 - 03:04 PM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

Sputnik99, people are getting sick of comic book movies regardless of whether they're fans or not. If they, as you suggest, simply don't go and see them - well then your "revolution" may come to an end. Comic book movies are big budget blockbusters; they are the tentpole releases for studios - if people stop going, studios won't continue making them just for you fans. If they did, they won't be nearly as great as you've envisioned. The budgets will be less, the special FX and attention to detail will suffer.

My point is, superhero movies are not just being made for the fans of comic books. You need to the public in general to maintain its interest in the genre for it to be viable.

Jun 16 - 10:19 PM

sputnik 99

Well, complain as you will, but I don't see comic book movies dying out for years to come. They've been too good for that. People will keep going because they know the odds of seeing a good movie are pretty darn good, regardless of the Superhero factor, and they aren't going down. (SM3 may have been weak, but we all know the Dark Knight will rock.)

Basically, the idea of another comic book movie may sound bad, but that isn't gonna stop the swarm of people from seeing it.

Jun 16 - 10:43 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Too much of a good thing is always bad for you. Even comic book films.

Jun 16 - 10:51 AM

sputnik 99

Look, sourpuss, you are obviously a comic hater.

You've got a big chip on your shoulder, cg. Get rid of it.

Jun 16 - 12:13 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

[b]I Love Comic Books[/b]

Jun 16 - 12:33 PM

Jun 16 - 03:04 PM

aknddon3

andrew kruzel

Again you prove that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Jun 16 - 11:17 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Jun 16 - 11:41 AM

Mr. Kong

Sam jacobs

Shoo troll, shoo!

Jun 17 - 06:39 AM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

Gary Sinise would totally own the part of Ant-Man.

Jun 16 - 11:21 AM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Jun 16 - 11:41 AM

sputnik 99

Look, sourpuss, you are obviously a comic hater.

You've got a big chip on your shoulder, cg. Get rid of it.

Jun 16 - 12:13 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

[b]I Love Comic Books[/b]

Jun 16 - 12:33 PM

Jun 16 - 03:04 PM

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

[b]I Love Comic Books[/b]

Jun 16 - 12:33 PM

Jun 16 - 03:04 PM

Jun 16 - 03:04 PM

FreakyNipples69

Nicholas DiMucci

They are really milking this superhero thing. Ant man?? Thor?? Are you kidding me?

Jun 16 - 06:00 PM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

Jun 16 - 10:19 PM

Jun 16 - 10:43 PM

Jun 16 - 10:43 PM

eye1ang

aaron russ

if the directors go through with this movie please star Doctor Strange in the damn thing

Jun 17 - 02:03 AM

GreenBastard

Craig Storey

I'd love to see these type of movie's as toons. Then there's no limitations on the Action!

Jun 17 - 05:54 AM