Total Recall: Who's the Man?

We count down 10 of our favorite movie Men.

This week, the long-awaited Iron Man storms theaters. Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard, and Jeff Bridges also star, but Robert Downey Jr. is the man of the hour, playing Tony Stark and the titular armor-plated superhero. Thus, we at RT thought it would be a good time to run through some memorable flicks with Man in their titles.

First, some ground rules. We decided against loading up the list with superheroes, so there's no Batman, no Spider-Man, and no Blankman. Secondly, we decided to go with movies that end with "man," so don't get all bent out of shape over the fact that The Man with the Golden Gun and The Man with Two Brains didn't make the cut. Without further ado, here are some of our favorite Men!

Next >>

more info...
10. Encino Man (14%)

A caveman (Brendan Fraser) caught in a prehistoric avalanche is thawed out by a high school dweeb (Sean Astin), waking up to a radically different California filled with sun, babes, and Pauly Shore. Astin cleans up the caveman and figures hanging out this exotic character will improve his social standing, only to find the girl of his dreams falling for Fraser. Bummer! Riding the wave of good vibes and MTV-style bodaciousness cresting at the time of its release, Encino Man is an undemanding comedy that milks early '90s SoCal culture for all it's worth.

Video

Comments

blsinner

Uver Pena

I hate the Running Man, the movie of course. The book was a grade A thriller, I loved it.

Apr 30 - 06:19 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

blsinner;

It was worth it for me to respond to this just to agree- Steven King's 'Running Man' is, while short and similar in theme to 'the Long Walk' (one of the other two stories in the Bachman Books), a powerful, poignant allegory about a nightmare collaboration between government and entertainment that shares ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with the suck-#ss movie other than a title and maybe some character names. I find it to be the very definition of irony that the story is supposedly about finding the truth behind corporate lies when the entire movie was nothing but a bloated, corporate rape of an honest story idea.

May 1 - 07:26 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

IRON MAN is gonna be ausome, already got my tickets for tomorrow @8!!!!

Apr 30 - 06:33 PM

Binh Ngo

Binh Ngo

Good list.

Apr 30 - 08:46 PM

bountyhunter185

B D

Wheres Marathon Man?
That film is a classic! Gross oversight on that one

Other than that, the list is pretty good.
Can't wait for Iron Man!!!!!

Apr 30 - 08:49 PM

BjornFree

Scott Cressman

Yeah, leaving off Marathon Man seems like a misstep, but maybe they didn't want multiple Dustin Hoffman films on the list. And of the two, Rain Man is the better known.

Apr 30 - 09:49 PM

RT-Matchity

Matt Atchity

You're exactly right BjornFree - we considered Marathon Man, but we decided to go with Rain Man as our only HoffMan flick.

Apr 30 - 10:23 PM

RT-Matchity

Matt Atchity

Apr 30 - 10:23 PM

SlyDante

Kyle LeClair

...Wow, you guys are really running out of ideas for this feature, aren't you? =P

May 1 - 05:02 AM

John Z. Delorean

John Street

All these movies pale in comparison to the great comedic duo Ed Lover and Doctor Dre in "Who's The Man?". The best hood/cop/buddy movie ever!

May 1 - 06:45 AM

Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan

I love that one.

May 1 - 09:34 AM

dahluzz

joe shmo

pretty good list with some interesting tidbits in the blurbs. no 'lawnmower man'? meh, i guess it wasn't really that great anyway.

May 1 - 06:56 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

blsinner;

May 1 - 07:26 AM

minderbinder

anonymous anonymous

Do articles like this have to be on eleven separate pages?

May 1 - 07:32 AM

JamesEarl

Jimmy Heisner

No Wicker Man? I'm of course talking about the original.

May 1 - 08:06 AM

Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan

I love that one.

May 1 - 09:34 AM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Demolition Man sucked, I can't believe it's on this list. Cinderella Man was a great movie though, and a very under rated one.

May 1 - 09:52 AM

Whistler19

Fan 19

I agree with you, minderbinder, I hate lists that are spread out through 10, 25, 50 pages, etc. and you have to click through each and every one to find out what's on the list. Great, I know Encino Man is on the list, but while I'm intrigued to know what else made the list, I'm not going to go through all eleven pages to find out.

May 1 - 09:57 AM

Whistler19

Fan 19

May 1 - 09:58 AM

cypress550

jeremy burnside

what about

spider-man
superman
bat-man
aquaman
iceman
human
woman
who cares this is a stupid list

May 1 - 10:42 AM

Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan

"First, some ground rules. We decided against loading up the list with superheroes, so there's no Batman, no Spider-Man, and no Blankman."

That's why!

May 1 - 01:10 PM

Tim Ryan

Tim Ryan

That's why!

May 1 - 01:10 PM

thetruebastard

bart barker

Why not load the list up with superheroes? The whole goddamn inspiration for the list is a superhero.

May 1 - 01:21 PM

rt-ryan

Ryan Fujitani

I dunno, I think a list full of superheroes would be too easy, too predictable, and therefore a bit boring. Make a list of -Man superhero movies, and everyone's gonna know what's on it. With something like this, though, and you get a wider variety of movies to highlight; it's a little less predictable and a little more interesting. Just my $0.02.

May 1 - 03:47 PM