One thing that bothers me about these iron man movies...

is how tony stark has such a huge ego. I'm not familiar with the comics so I don't know if it is the same in those, but he just comes off as kind of a douche bag to me. I know he's like a genius and the most successful man in the world, but I wish he would have a little more humbleness to him. He seems cocky and reckless, kind of the opposite of what I expect a superhero to be. Your thoughts?
ballermat982
01-14-2013 06:49 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

hollis m.

hollis mills

thats exactly how he was in the comics, just a pretentious dick haha

Apr 24 - 07:44 PM

Director Guest

Sam Tenma

I think MARVEL wanted to show (and originally Stan Lee) that not all super heroes are the best role models, no matter how many times they save the world. Tony is still human, and he's had a pretty bumpy childhood, so he's not exactly going to be 'happy-go-lucky'.

Apr 24 - 07:13 PM

Bill J.

Bill Johnson

Fair point, Mr. Strehlow, but to me, Stark's entertaining personality and witty dialogue is far more entertaining and likable than Batman's exploding temper towards the Joker and constant brooding, and Peter Parker's whining, melodramatic, book-nerd personality. All superheroes, especially Tony Stark, dedicate their lives to fighting crime, which renders their other "flaws" obsolete.

Apr 13 - 09:06 PM

Bill J.

Bill Johnson

Well, after all, he is a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.

Apr 12 - 04:11 AM

John Tyler

John Tyler McClane

And an alcoholic.

Apr 13 - 08:07 AM

Bill J.

Bill Johnson

And someone who selflessly fights the forces of evil, at every single opportunity, risking his life on many occasions

Apr 13 - 09:00 PM

Lorenzo Vallente

Lorenzo Vallente

It may show that Stark is indeed human unlike other superheroes with hardly any flaws. The filmmakers want to show Stark's weaknesses too instead of glorifying him too much

Apr 7 - 07:41 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

nothing left to explain...you did it all

Apr 7 - 07:15 AM

Joshua Imperious

Joshua Imperious

that's tony stark the playboy/millionaire/alcoholic

Apr 6 - 09:42 AM

John Tyler

John Tyler McClane

What WS Shannon said.

Mar 17 - 06:21 PM

Calum W.

Calum Wright

I reckon that Tony Stark had the same story in the comic's even though I've never read them and you're right the first impression you get with him is he isn't the bill for a Super-Hero.

Mar 15 - 07:48 AM

WS S.

WS Shannon

It's kind of the point, and it's what made the conflict in The Avengers so interesting. Captain America was a struggling person all his life and Tony's attitude is what really set apart the two. Robert Stark's father (who Steve knew personally) gave Tony Stark a rather successful opportunity to prosper in life without working his ass off for it despite being super intelligent and skilled. I think Iron Man 3 will really display how much he's developed as a human being and maybe show less of his sillier side (as we all know Robert Downey just puts his own funny personality into the character of Iron Man).

Feb 7 - 11:00 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler McClane

The conflict in The Avengers was one of the best plot points in the movie.

Apr 13 - 08:07 AM

Steve Hutchins

Steve Hutchins

If you've truly watched the movies, that's the point--he basically was a douchebag and then everything that's happened from the cave up to the nuke in the Avengers has given him a slap of reality. He's a super genius and he knows it, but he's on a journey to do the right things. His sarcasm and arrogance is just who he is--which is part of the struggle since it makes him the "reluctant hero."

Feb 5 - 03:13 PM

Alex M.

Alex Maverick

Bingo.

Feb 6 - 03:00 PM

John Tyler

John Tyler McClane

You get points...for getting the point. (Terrible pun LOL)

Apr 13 - 08:06 AM

Nelson Summerfield

Nelson Summerfield

thats why i used to hate these movies stan lee said thats the point of Tony Stark "I'm gonna take this unrelatable, unlikable guy, shove him down their throats and force us to like him"

Jan 27 - 09:46 AM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

Oh, come on Nelson, I'm sure that deep down inside of you there's a narcissistic, genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist, awesome guy just fighting to get out.

Feb 2 - 06:55 PM

Cody H.

Cody Halpert

I think that's the point. He's like the least qualified guy to be a superhero in terms of personality, but at the core of everything, he does care about people enough to build a suit to protect them. Tha's just my opinion, though.

Jan 26 - 06:44 PM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

That right there is the basic plot of Iron Man.

Jan 26 - 08:44 PM

Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile