The Mandarin is the worst plot twist in cinematic history.

Iron Man 3 was a riveting, well made, super hero film...until The Mandarin plot twist.

Suddenly, the film implodes into stunning mediocrity.

Not since X-Men 3 has such a marvelous opportunity to explore American Mythology been obliterated.

Terrible film.

Andrew Kafoury
05-3-2013 05:27 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Frank Lee

Frank Lee

I saw it coming, and I'm not the kind of dip**** who tries to see the plot twist ahead of time and then walks out of the film thinking they're a genius, but it still seemed really obvious, and it was awful. The lava people are terrible villains, and some nerd scientist lava person isn't the Mandarin. And as another intelligent person said, that whole PTSD thing was half-baked. None of the challenges presented in this film worked.

Nov 6 - 07:00 PM

Joshua Cagan

Joshua Cagan

I thought it was an amazing plot twist, and not only because it was completely unexpected. Sure they don't have the Mandarin in all his glory, but the mandarin wouldn't have work in the Marvel Cinematic universe anyways. The plot twist made sense, and they get some good comedy out of it. My only complaint is that when they took away the Mandarin, we were left with Killian as the main villain, and he wasn't the strongest.

Nov 5 - 04:45 PM

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

I haven't seen enough movies to call it the worst.It's certainly the worst I HAVE seen.

Nov 2 - 05:24 AM

Karl R.

Karl Rainer

I thought the opposite. It was a brave attempt to lifting the veil on the fabricated bs war on terror. Plant the idea that terrorists can be actors , that enemies are created to pursue dubious agendas. Take another look at the so called authentic bin laden videos on the net.All fabrications and played by actors after his death in 2002. Former us deputy assistant to the Secretary of State Steve pieczenik blew the lid on the hoax bin laden assassination. Al Qaeda was created by the CIA it was the name of their database of operatives and arms dealers in Afghanistan in the 1980s as revealed by robin cook former British foreign secretary, who also said the idea of al Qaeda existing as a coherent terrorist organisation with obl as it's leader was a myth. Iron man 3s message is very very powerful...

Oct 25 - 03:58 PM

Chris Westergaard

Chris Westergaard

Eh, it could have been worse... the twist could have been The Mandarin was broccoli the whole time..

Oct 20 - 08:08 AM

Oscar Lozoya

Oscar Lozoya

That would actually be better

Nov 2 - 07:27 AM

Chris Westergaard

Chris Westergaard

lol XD I hear Marvel is going to fix that in a Marvel One Shot

Nov 2 - 07:51 PM

Ramses S.

Ramses Sesmar

I am in fact wondering how they are going to incorporate Stark into the new Avengers if he doesn't have the Arc Reactor...

Oct 8 - 07:18 PM

Jason Malinoski

Jason Malinoski

Rhodey wears a suit. He doesn't need one in his body, just the armor.

Oct 9 - 06:54 AM

Ramses S.

Ramses Sesmar

I suppose that is true...but he did destroy all his Iron Man suits and promise Pepper to stop being Iron Man...I mean I guess he could just go behind her back and build another one but that would be a little stupid when we all know the writers didn't have to make it where that would have to happen.

Oct 9 - 02:04 PM

Ramses S.

Ramses Sesmar

I suppose that is true...but he did destroy all his Iron Man suits and promise Pepper to stop being Iron Man...I mean I guess he could just go behind her back and build another one but that would be a little stupid when we all know the writers didn't have to make it where that would have to happen.

Oct 9 - 05:39 PM

Ramses S.

Ramses Sesmar

I was extremely looking forward to some epic battle scenes between Iron Man and the alien rings of the Mandarin from the comic books. I felt like just getting up and leaving the theater when the "plot twist" -- that I felt ruined the movie -- occurred. Ben Kingsley is a great actor and was convincing in that role that he was a ruthless terrorist...it was a huge mistake to make him irrelevant and just toss him out the window as a ploy used by Killian. Even past all that I would've been happy with Iron Man defeating Killian in an epic showdown between protagonist and antagonist, but no: Shane Black went and took even that away from me by going for what he thought would be more theatrical by having an "epic" battle with all the other Iron Man suits and then having Pepper "rise from the grave" and beat Killian. Iron Man didn't even kill Killian! Pepper did! And I'm not even going to go into the fact that the Avengers 2 will be garbage without Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man... So yeah: 8.5-9.0 with the Mandarin playing a role, 7.0-7.5 with a regular final battle between Killian and Iron Man with Iron Man being the one to win, and a 6.0-6.3 the way they chose to end it.

Oct 8 - 07:16 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

The beginning of the movie without the twist was at a 9.2 and then the twist it went to 5.5. Then eventually with the idiotic flaming people it dropped to 5. Mediocre and a C- overall

Oct 8 - 03:24 PM

Jason Malinoski

Jason Malinoski

"Whew,you might want to wait about 20 minutes!" Brilliant. And I'm an old Iron Man fan, I even have the Mandarin's 2nd appearance, Tales of Suspense #55.

Oct 9 - 07:04 AM

Tory Lee

Tory Lee

...Nope. No, it was a pretty intriguing turn for the movie, I think. Now, the wise-cracking kid... he was entertaining, but I could understand eye-rolls there. The Mandarin twist, however, was interesting and I resent how people hate it just because the Mandarin didn't turn out to be real like the comic book villain. It's a stand-alone movie, it doesn't have to abide to the comic. These are my personal thoughts.

Oct 5 - 03:29 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Need a simple answer...........How did this piece of shit come in with high numbers? Do people vote ahead of time here, do they go on hunches? Obviously the critics are doing a vote AFTER SEEING this.
Well I got news for the critics.......they all have their heads jammed and are worthless but to get paid to be worthless? That's being a punk.

Sep 28 - 07:08 AM

Bryan Englund

Bryan Englund

Totally agree. What an awful movie. I wanted to stop it so many times. Mandarin reduced to an unbelievably lame attempt at comic relief. So some guy gets turned down by Stark in an elevator and he then develops into a psychopathic murdered? Yea right. Total shit.

Oct 4 - 05:52 PM

Jason Malinoski

Jason Malinoski

Wow, you missed some major points. Killian wasn't after revenge, just his Extremis program. Eventual "revenge" on Stark was just a perk. And even though people like you say you want something different and not cliche, look at you complain because they dared to change anything out of your ordinary dull expectations.

Oct 9 - 07:15 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

I was looking forward to this 3rd installment only to be totally disappointed.
How can a director who wrote the script lose complete control of this film. I couldn't find a story! He pull crap out of nowhere that made no sense at all. Loaded with special effects just for the eye candy crowd that require NO STORY.
This Faverau guy better go back to bar-tending.

Sep 28 - 06:54 AM

Vince Almaraz

Vince Almaraz

No, this movie migrated into "rotten" territory the minute they dragged in the old wisecracking 12 year old kid that saves the hero. Eyes rolling. The nonsense with the Mandarin was just the icing on the cake for a stunningly mediocre movie.

Sep 27 - 11:28 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

People overreacted big time to the twist. It was not bad at all.

Aug 28 - 03:05 PM

Jacob S.

Jacob Stevenson

I liked the plot twist because it was unexpected (Don't you people complain about movies being too predictable anyway? Hypocrisy bells are ringing!) and I think a good modern take on the Mandarin character. We aren't fighting the Vietnamese anymore

Aug 27 - 07:25 PM

Gabe Tugendstein

Gabe Tugendstein

Agreed, I thought it genius by the filmmakers to set themselves up so perfectly with an opportunity to explore Tony Stark's psyche when there is a man who, frankly, scares the crap out of him, and who he appears not to be able to defeat. Instead, it looked like a twelve year old took the helm halfway through with ridiculous action cues and one liners.
Jon Faverau, why'd you have to go?

Aug 21 - 04:03 PM

Jacob S.

Jacob Stevenson

Because Iron Man 2 and Cowboys and Aliens blew.

Aug 27 - 07:22 PM

Gabe Tugendstein

Gabe Tugendstein

Agreed, It thought it genius by the filmmakers to set themselves up so perfectly with an opportunity to explore Tony Stark's psyche when there is a man who, frankly, scares the crap out of him, and who he appears not to be able to defeat. Instead, it looked like a twelve year old took the helm halfway through with ridiculous action cues and one liners.
Jon Faverau, why'd you have to go?

Aug 21 - 04:03 PM

Gabe Tugendstein

Gabe Tugendstein

Agreed, I thought it genius that the filmmakers set themselves up so perfectly with a way to explore Tony Stark's psyche when there is a man that scares the crap, of which appears not to be able to defeat. Instead it looked like it got taken over by a twelve year old halfway through, with ridiculous action cues and one liners.

Aug 21 - 03:59 PM

David Ballard

David Ballard

Can't argue with that assessment at all.

Aug 21 - 01:21 PM

Spencer Thompson

Spencer Thompson

I was disappointed, because The Mandarin was one of my favorite villains growing up, and when I found out he was being played by Ben Kingsley I was super excited. However I thought the twist was hilarious and It also proves that MARVEL movies can still surprise you, even when you least expect it!

Jul 31 - 04:30 PM

Vinny Salerno Jr.

Vinny Salerno Jr.

No. The Mandarin was dissapointing yes, because they basically took a dump in Marvel Comics' backyard, but the fact that they managed to incorporate THe Mandarin as the powerful being he is, in the end, i was happy about that. Ben Kingsley was hilarious but waste of talent on Marvel's part. BUt in no way was Iron man 3 a bad movie.

Jun 29 - 01:28 PM

Educator Of L.

Educator Of Liberals

Thanks Frank Cabanski and others. We always try to find out if a movie is pushing some liberal ideology before we go to see it. Was guessing by the 3rd Iron Man they wouldn't be able to help themselves. We'll skip it.

Jun 22 - 07:33 PM

Norman  R.

Norman Radcliffe

The movie was terrible, but I didn't see any liberal ideology in it. I would see it agin to see if I missed something, but I don't want to have go through that again.

Jun 23 - 07:19 PM

Rohanth Aluri

Rohanth Aluri

Action sequences were great. Storytelling was impressive. Acting was awesome. But when it came to the Mandarin twist, it just got me so frustrated. Although the movie was pretty good, the twist just ruined it for - just my opinion.

Jun 17 - 08:27 PM

Chris Westergaard

Chris Westergaard

Was it disappointing? Oh yeah. The worst ever? Nope. Have you seen Secret of NYMH 2? That there's a dumb one.

Jun 15 - 07:34 PM

Tino Pecchia

Tino Pecchia

Because it's unexpected it doesn't mean it's good and this twist is a perfect example of that.

Jun 8 - 08:36 PM

EntertainMeOrDie

Liam Neeson Trollfighter

Everything in this movie is stupid and makes no sense.

Jun 2 - 05:24 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Liam, you said it the best and most directly.

Sep 28 - 06:59 AM

Jason Malinoski

Jason Malinoski

Just because you didn't understand it, doesn't mean it didn't make sense.

Oct 9 - 07:16 AM

Joe Geeks

Joe Geeks

AIM without AIM + Mandarin without Mandarin = director Shane Black spit in faces of Marvel's fans!!! Worst Marvel villain movie adaptation ever!

Jun 2 - 04:27 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

You and Liam pigeonholed this piece of shit. Right on.

Sep 28 - 07:00 AM

Jason Malinoski

Jason Malinoski

Wow, he exceeded expectations, tried something different, but it wasn't predictable enough for you, so it was crap. Makes sense to me.

Oct 9 - 07:17 AM

John Weber

John Weber

Iron Man while a pretty major player in the Marvel Universe before the film, was not cared about nearly at all by the general audience before the first film back in 2008. It stands to reason, that his archenemy wouldn't be either unlike the arch-rivals to more popular heroes like Superman and Batman. Also consider how popular a villain like Loki is now, and compare that to his popularity in the past before his move debut and since the film's its exploded.

The racism thing is always a touchy subject, but I will just put forth this notion. Yeah, it's hard to argue against the fact that Mandarin's original design was pretty un-PC. But I wish to put forth this comparison. Consider the fact that Pepper Potts started out as just a secretary whose almost sole obsession seemed to be getting together with her wealthy debonair boss. By todays standards, I don't think people would be in favor on her original characterization that much either, that some may even call sexist. But look what she's become since then, and how reasonably popular she is with audiences now. But that's the thing I'm trying to get at. Characters evolve over time, and writers such as the Kanufs and Matt Fraction have done good jobs with updating the Mandarin since his original incarnation in the 1960's. Particularly the story arch "Haunted" probably being the best example of a story featuing the character that comes to mind immediately. (And interestingly enough, it involved Extremis)

That being said, I do agree that a film doesn't have to stay 100% true to its source material. For instance I could accept Ra's Al Ghul being a mentor to Bruce Wayne before he was Batman, and Robin being a cop. My main problem with Aldrich Killian is the fact that they turned a character who could have potentially been more intersting if portrayed right, and watered him down into something heavily generic in spite of Guy Pearce's best efforts in the role. It's the type of villain we've seen in every Iron Man film so far. The corrupt double dealing American businessman/military contractor who has a grudge against Tony Stark and is out for his own profits. We saw that with Obadiah Stane in the first film, and Justin Hammer in the second. Even the moral they tried getting across with him was the same one they did with Stane but just from a somewhat different vantage point. The whole idea about the war on terror not being nearly as black and white as its often presented to be, and that people have to be more careful at looking for dangers within their own borders. Not to mention that the somewhat "nerdy" rival who is jealous of and aspires to be like Tony Stark is akin to Justin Hammer. Guy Pearce does what he can, but he just feels like a retread in my opinion. And when they tried throwing on some Mandarin stuff like the martial arts and dragon tattoos, it was stuff slapped on at the last second as an attempt at fanservice that almost literally comes at the last second and without any build up or explnation whatsoever and thus comes off as being too little too late. I could perhaps get into the changes more if they had created something more interesting then what we got out of Killian. But as it stands he just doesn't stand out at all. Sure his plan was bigger in scope, but the character himself felt same old same old. (Again, just in my opinion) And that's the big difference between him and Jarvis in these films. At the very least when they changed Jarvis, he essentially kept his role at being Tony's helper and all that, and the change felt more creative and innovative. I felt Killian was not.

None of that stuff ruined "Iron Man 3" for me, I thought it was still a pretty darn good movie. I just thought that the villain side of things was pretty disappointing. Though naturally, this is all just in my opinion. Anyone can feel free to disagree, I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents into the discussion.

Jun 2 - 01:51 AM

John Weber

John Weber

Iron Man while a pretty major player in the Marvel Universe before the film, was not cared about nearly at all by the general audience before the first film back in 2008. It stands to reason, that his archenemy wouldn't be either unlike the arch-rivals to more popular heroes like Superman and Batman. Also consider how popular a villain like Loki is now, and compare that to his popularity in the past before his move debut and since the film's its exploded.

The racism thing is always a touch subject that I normally try skirting around but will just put forth this notion. Yeah, it's hard to argue against the fact that Mandarin's original design was pretty un-PC. But I wish to put forth this comparison. Consider the fact that Pepper Potts started out as just a secretary whose almost sole obsession seemed to be getting together with her wealthy debonair boss. By todays standards, I don't think people would be in favor on her original characterization that much either, that some may even call sexist. But look what she's become since then, and how reasonably popular she is with audiences now. But that's the thing I'm trying to get at. Characters evolve over time, and writers such as the Kanufs and Matt Fraction have done good jobs with updating the Mandarin since his original incarnation in the 1960's. Particularly the story arch "Haunted" probably being the best example of a story featuing the character that comes to mind immediately. (And interestingly enough, it involved Extremis)

That being said, I do agree that a film doesn't have to stay 100% true to its source material. For instance I could accept Ra's Al Ghul being a mentor to Bruce Wayne before he was Batman, and Robin being a cop. My main problem with Aldrich Killian is the fact that they turned a character who could have potentially been more intersting if portrayed right, and watered him down into something heavily generic in spite of Guy Pearce's best efforts in the role. It's the type of villain we've seen in every Iron Man film so far. The corrupt double dealing American businessman/military contractor who has a grudge against Tony Stark and is out for his own profits. We saw that with Obadiah Stane in the first film, and Justin Hammer in the second. Even the moral they tried getting across with him was the same one they did with Stane but just from a somewhat different vantage point. The whole idea about the war on terror not being nearly as black and white as its often presented to be, and that people have to be more careful at looking for dangers within their own borders. Not to mention that the somewhat "nerdy" rival who is jealous of and aspires to be like Tony Stark is akin to Justin Hammer. Guy Pearce does what he can, but he just feels like a retread in my opinion. And when they tried throwing on some Mandarin stuff like the martial arts and dragon tattoos, it was stuff slapped on at the last second as an attempt at fanservice that almost literally comes at the last second and without any build up or explnation whatsoever and thus comes off as being too little too late. I could perhaps get into the changes more if they had created something more interesting then what we got out of Killian. But as it stands he just doesn't stand out at all. Sure his plan was bigger in scope, but the character himself felt same old same old. (Again, just in my opinion) And that's the big difference between him and Jarvis in these films. At the very least when they changed Jarvis, he essentially kept his role at being Tony's helper and all that, and the change felt more creative and innovative. I felt Killian was not.

None of that stuff ruined "Iron Man 3" for me, I thought it was still a pretty darn good movie. I just thought that the villain side of things was pretty disappointing. Though naturally, this is all just in my opinion. Anyone can feel free to disagree, I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents into the discussion.

Jun 2 - 01:49 AM

Amy Chan

Amy Chan

Mandarin twist stinks. I saw it today. He was suppose to the arch enemy of Tony Stark. Did Stan Lee approve of this? I know Disney doesn't want to pay Robert Downey Jr like Terrance Howard so what better way to ruin the franchise? I was thinking of the nipple suit in the George Clooney Batman. This time is the cod piece for the Iron Man suit. Pepper Potts should be Rescue (special suit designed by Tony) and I believe it should of been her in the airplane scene. Don't dumb down the movie for non readers of the comics books, stay true to the form. The first 2 Iron Mans are much better. Pepper Potts also said that she didn't want to be used as a weapon so her custom suit should be more defensive, less offensive.

May 27 - 12:30 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Time for a diaper change, Amy

May 29 - 11:56 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Because if you didn't like this movie, you're a baby, right? Grow up, asshole.

May 30 - 11:21 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

It's just a sad missed opportunity for Ben Kingsley, in fact it's almost embarrassing, because take out the twist, and it's basically a rehash of Iron Man 2 XD

Jun 6 - 04:45 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Yeah, Kingsley was the best of the movie, but it wasn't that bad.

Jun 30 - 09:30 PM

Mark Stansfield

Mark Stansfield

I'm not sure making over a Billion dollars is a successful attempt to ruin the franchise. Of course I could be wrong. This is the Marvel Movie Universe and it's complete in itself. The 0.03% of the audience that actual reads the comics can disappear back into the 616 universe if they need to see the characters portrayed in the way they like if they prefer that.

May 30 - 07:48 AM

Amy Chan

Amy Chan

Mandarin twist stinks. I saw it today. He was suppose to the arch enemy of Tony Stark. Did Stan Lee approve of this? I know Disney doesn't want to pay Robert Downey Jr like Terrance Howard so what better way to ruin the franchise? I was thinking of the nipple suit in the George Clooney batman. This time is the cod piece for the Iron Man suit. Pepper Potts should be rescue and I believe it should of been here in the airplane scene. Don't dumb down the movie for non readers of the comics books, stay true to the form. The first 2 Iron Mans are much better.

May 27 - 12:27 AM

Sharkour

Bret Maverick

Have you never seen an M Night Shyamalan movie?

May 25 - 09:54 PM

Jacob S.

Jacob Stevenson

I tried to once. Then I told my captors I'd rather get gang banged because it would be less painful.

Aug 27 - 07:26 PM

John Tyler

J *

I'm pretty sure the twist in Safe Haven is worse than the one in IM3.

May 24 - 07:31 AM

The Master of Movies

The Master of Movies

There was a twist in Safe Haven?

May 28 - 08:42 PM

Caleb B.

Caleb Brown

Yeah they were both men

May 30 - 08:05 PM

Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde

Aight, man. Yeah, the Mandarin twist was damn fucked up, but it ain't the worst twist in cinematic history. Come on, man.

May 22 - 03:09 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

This movie is the Spider Man 3 of the Iron Man trilogy.

May 12 - 05:18 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

Except that IM3 is actually watchable.

May 12 - 06:31 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

I'm not going to say IM3 or Spider-Man 3 were horrendous films, because in my opinion I don't think so. However, IM3 is more mediocre than Spider-Man 3.

Jun 6 - 04:47 PM

David Nevarez

David Nevarez

Spider-Man 3 was a superior film compared to the trash they came up with in Iron Man 3.

Jun 22 - 11:22 AM

David Ballard

David Ballard

Thoroughly agree with the original post. An interesting first half descended into chaotic idiocy, with the the "Mandarin twist" being the mouldy icing on a very spoilt cake (although I did admittedly laugh at the Mandarin's reaction to Liverpool scoring on the telly).

Aug 21 - 01:09 PM

Jacob S.

Jacob Stevenson

Did you not see Iron Man 2?

Aug 27 - 07:26 PM

Dylan P.

Dylan P

The Mandarin sucked. He was nothing but a fluffy lame post 9/11 paranoia villain. I was tempted to laugh at the first video of him. It was like a propaganda film by the CIA for fucks sake I loved the plot twist.

May 12 - 05:15 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Gee Dylan..............tell us if you ended up "laughing'. We know you were tempted but did you laugh? We all want to know

And goodness!!!!! Thank you for sharing.
Took a lot of guts on your part.
What time is your feeding?

May 29 - 11:59 AM

Jeffrey Mauer

Jeffrey Mauer

I don't think you understood his comment.

May 31 - 08:36 PM

Bill Kleinsturn

Bill Kleinsturn

They put their stinking hands on stuff like this and ruin it all the time. Remember Cruise's first "Mission: Impossible." They spun the plot casting the Phelps character as a traitor in the end. A traitor?! If it wasn't so disgusting it would be laughable. As I recall, a few of the original TV cast members walked out of the showing. Of course, now the franchise has nothing to do with any of it, which was obviously their intention all along.

I didn't laugh at the Mandarin's twist, either.

May 12 - 04:48 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

"I didn't laugh at the Mandarin's twist, either."

Well, good for you, Bill. We were all wondering

May 29 - 12:01 PM

John Weber

John Weber

I am going to have to agree with Bill on the fact that the Phelps twist in "Mission: Impossible" is one of if not the worst plot twist in franchise film if not cinematic history. I mean I don't care for what they did with Mandarin, but it wasn't a movie breaker in my opinion. I don't think the first "Mission: Impossible" was bad on its own, but the twist does actually kill the experience for me in that case.

Jun 2 - 03:02 AM

Rhodri Gillham

Rhodri Gillham

It was a fairly marmite plot twist - you either liked it or you didn't - and I felt the film suffered from not exploring the implications of the twist properly. That said, it was still fantastic.

May 12 - 02:12 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

My God, you people are idiots. The movie was phenomenal, and the Mandarin twist was humorous and interesting. GET OVER THE FACT THAT THE MOVIES DON'T FOLLOW EVERY DETAIL IN THE FUCKING COMICS. Your opinions are invalid.

May 12 - 01:35 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Wow. Douchebag alert.

May 12 - 02:51 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Wow, you're a douchebag. And I've never even read a comic book so don't give me some dipshit response about me being a fanboy. The twist was pointless and stupid because Ben Kingsley's fake villain role makes Guy Pearce's real villain role look like a total chump.

May 12 - 02:55 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

I wasn't responding directly to you, you fucking jackass. My comment was directed to all the fucktards who are bashing the film wholesale just because it doesn't follow the comics.

May 12 - 03:36 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

You are the one insulting people's opinions, and I'm the fucking jackass? Yeah, that logic makes perfect sense, fuckhead. And I'm aware that you weren't speaking directly to me.

May 12 - 07:56 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

I'm insulting people's opinions because they're voicing them snobbishly, as if nobody else's are important. You should really get that sand out of your vagina.

May 12 - 08:19 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

I'm not the one bitching about people not liking this movie, dipshit. I'm just calling you out for the asshole that you are.

May 12 - 08:44 PM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

Alex, you're just an idiot

May 29 - 12:03 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Would you care to elaborate? It wasn't my comments that got deleted.

May 30 - 11:20 PM

Marier Villarreal

Marier Villarreal

Sorry, but talking about useless shit will get you nowhere.

Aug 1 - 03:15 PM

Michael Foley

Michael Foley

Terrifyingly horrible movie. While Downey owns the role he is given little to work with. The jokes become weak and tiresome after a while, the plot twist was bad and just lazy. Since when can iron man only carry 4 people yet he can support a flying aircraft carrier? I didn't pay to see empty suits fly around and battle a weak villain who could have been a non issue by being dropped in the water, I dunno it just wasn't good at all.

May 12 - 10:18 AM

Sam Denyer

Sam Denyer

They completely wasted Kingsley's talents, I was expecting a huge evil plot, but we get some weak supernatural dude instead...

May 12 - 04:14 AM

Grace Green

Grace Green

the entire film was bad but yes i really agree with you. the plot twist could have added so much more to the film. instead it made it even worse and made the film safe. they could have explored it so well but they did not do a good job. in my opinion, this entire film felt like the first draft of a script

May 11 - 06:49 PM

Mister  M.

Mister Magoo

Indeed, creampie! Mistress Potts was wearing a strap-on the entire film, but she has no masculine juices to give it life. She was wearing an iron MAN suit, for a little boy's butt's sake.
Toodalou!

May 11 - 07:41 AM

Anatoli Ossai

Anatoli Ossai

cry babies

May 11 - 01:17 AM

David Gilmer

David Gilmer

tell em kid!

May 12 - 02:52 PM

President Pedro

President Pedro

Yes, absolutely yes. That was a horrible decision on the films part, the twist is awful and the replacement villain isn't that all exciting.

May 10 - 08:28 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

there is one certain thing i would like to point out-

when tony self destructed all suits, shouldnt the entire place pepper and tony were standing on fall down? because the hulkbuster or igor was holding the entire place if you remember

May 9 - 03:48 AM

Parag Agrawal

Parag Agrawal

I can't see how it could have been worse..........

May 9 - 02:10 AM

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

If the twist was done better i may have accepted it. The problem was Ben Kingsley was really good as the Mandarin and Guy Pierce was a really boring character that nobody cared about. Everyone was invested in Ben Kingsley's Mandarin not Guy Pierce's evil Human Torch.

May 8 - 06:56 PM

Emerson Flohr

Emerson Flohr

The whole movie was just "eh" and WAY too long.

May 7 - 09:52 AM

The Master of Movies

The Master of Movies

Your "eh"...

May 28 - 08:43 PM

Mikael Chuaungo

Mikael Chuaungo

... when "meh" just doesnt cut it..

Aug 26 - 02:45 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

no it wasnt the twist that was bad.......it was the comedy they put after it to make mandarin look like an idiot.

May 7 - 01:40 AM

Jake Werkmeister

Jake Werkmeister

Personally, I didn't mind the twist. I think that there is a bigger plan with this "actor". In IM3, they capture the Mandarin, and send him to prison where he is bound to detox, and will probably blame Stark for his agony. Sounds like the perfect motive for revenge IF he were to come across some alien technology, and break free. Imagine how surprised Stark, as well as the movie going audience, would be if the Mandarin became a deadly nemesis in the next Avengers movie. Hey...I can cross my fingers can't I?

May 6 - 11:10 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Me being a non-comic book fan, I enjoyed the twist. But of course, this is coming from someone who didn't even know who the Mandarin was before this movie. But after a little research I can see why some would be offended.

What could have been an epic battle of good-vs-evil to close off the Iron Man solo outings became a comedy, and honestly, I had no issue with that. It was consistently fun and thrilling. I'm glad they went for a lighter tone than what was expected. With superhero films getting darker with each film, it's tone was a breath of fresh air.

But I'm ready to go dark again with Thor and Man of Steel.

May 6 - 10:52 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

totally agree

May 6 - 10:39 PM

Daydrian Lewis

Daydrian Lewis

Just gonna be real about this... but that twist was VERY disappointing. The jokes weren't that funny at all. The action near end of the film reminded me of too much Mission Impossible/Rush Hour/Lethal Weapon... whatever. See... In my opinion, in order to make a great Marvel action film. You would have to please both of the crowds; The Fans and the Moviegoers. Fans pay with their hard working money to go watch their favorite hero Iron Man and bad guy Mandarin battling out to end the final movie of the trilogy. Just give the fans what they want and and they're cool with it.

Christopher Nolan handled the Joker very well and kept him true to the comics. They kept him as the same ol' mass murdering lunatic. If you stay true to the comics, the Fans will love it, not because they're a bunch of fan boys but it stays true to what they were expecting... as well as newcomers. Nothing is realistic in the Marvel Film Universe. We had aliens from outer space, dudes with flaming skulls riding a flaming motorcycle, giant mutated lizards and random gods showing up randomly but is it really that hard to have the Mandarin shooting beams from his rings?

I did like how they portrayed him as an Caucasian man instead of the typical yellowface Chinese man to avoid racial controversy. Hell... it would be legit to have trained in the martial arts from Chinese criminals and have him discover the rings. But... overall. I give the film a 3/5. I like the way it started, the virus didn't make any sense but the action was cool. Some of it was a little... "Yeah right, how can he do that" type of stuff.

May 6 - 08:28 PM

Bo H.

Bo Hotchkiss

I agree. What was good about the Marvel films so far were all the parts where they stayed true to the comics & USED that to tell a story. I don't understand where they think it's MORE valuable to tell a completely different story when the reason certain characters stuck around in the comics was because they were more interesting. Plain and simple. Use THAT to tell a story. If you want to make a film & you DON'T want to use that, then just make up a new character. Almost NOBODY would be mad that the movie introduced a new character vs. the movie using the name of a character & denying all characteristics that were already deemed good & interesting to thousands of people.

May 7 - 10:07 AM

Nykirnsu 1.

Nykirnsu 1

I just have to nitpick and tell you that Ghostrider and Spiderman (and thus Lizard) don't exist in the Marvel movie-verse, but otherwise I agree with you.

May 10 - 10:49 PM

Bo H.

Bo Hotchkiss

Yeah, I didn't care for Nick Cage as Ghostrider & making Ghostrider a goofy laughing moron (if you dared yourself into seeing the second Ghostrider). As for Spiderman, I hated Tobey McGuire's Uber-depressed Spiderman who was very bad at telling jokes. Sorry, but the Spiderman I knew was excellent with the one-liners. Maybe the jokes themselves were good & it was just Tobey McGuire saying it that made them suck (but that'd be giving the writers the benefit of the doubt). I thought the Amazing Spiderman was much closer in that regard, but I've always felt a bit like they were all lacking. Also hated the stupid whimpy portrayal of Venom. I mean, really? That 70's Show?

May 13 - 08:20 AM

Nykirnsu 1.

Nykirnsu 1

That wasn't actually the point. What I was saying was that Spiderman and Ghostrider LITERALLY don't exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They have their own universes to themselves, my post wasn't in any a comment on the films' quality.

Jun 2 - 01:39 AM

Nykirnsu 1.

Nykirnsu 1

That wasn't actually the point. What I was saying was that Spiderman and Ghostrider LITERALLY don't exist in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They have their own universes to themselves, my post wasn't in any a comment on the films' quality.

Nykirnsu 1.

Nykirnsu 1

Nykirnsu 1.

Nykirnsu 1

Nykirnsu 1.

Nykirnsu 1

Marier Villarreal

Marier Villarreal

Have you seen The Avengers? Spiderman nor Ghostrider were present.

Aug 1 - 03:18 PM

Jackson Schaecher

Jackson Schaecher

Very much offended, and in shock at how terrible that was. Don't cast Kingsley if you're going to use him in such a piss poor manor. Yuck.

May 6 - 08:21 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I was offended too. It sucked!! They misled the consumer, ruined the movie, and botched a chance to let a great actor shine!

May 7 - 03:44 AM

Jackson Schaecher

Jackson Schaecher

They cast one of the worlds greatest actors to play Iron Man's greatest villain (only know he's the greatest because of what I've read, I have not read IM comics). Who the hell came up with the idea to ruin that? Seriously? Good villains make good super hero movies. This was an atrocity. I was extremely excited, and couldn't believe it when they revealed he wasn't the Mandarin. I literally thought I was missing something. I was really into it up until that point too, though I was suspicious when we got an hour in and the Mandarin hadn't done anything. What a joke... seriously.

May 6 - 08:20 PM

King Kong B.

King Kong Bundy

Yeah, this movie sucked. Iron Man 3 made Iron man 2 look like Iron man 1. The Mandarin twist was the nail in the coffin (among with the movies's countless other problems). With the Mandarin portrayed as nothing more than a bumbling actor, there was no one for Iron Man to fight at the end (a preposterous, and asinine finale). I don't count some surfer dude shooting fire as a main villian. Killian was far too jokey to even be considered a serious threat. The stunt show like finale made little sense with everyone jumping around as if it were a video game. Now if Tony had to fight Mandarin at the end and pull out all the stops (with the aid of Iron Patriot) then you have a movie. Watching this movie explains why Shane Black disappeared from mainstream movies for nearly two decades. At times, this did play like a cop-buddy movie. Also, Tony making like Batman and beating everyone's ass with hi-tech gadgets (what the fuck?).

This movie is a 200 million dollar shitfest. Good performances wasted (Downey, Cheadle, Kingsly) with next to no plot, and no lead villian. Yikes!! What a clusterfuck. In the very near future, people will get sick of superhero movies as they are drilling it into the ground. They have no original ideas. Their version of an original idea is having the Mandarin as a harmless British actor. Fuckin' hacks!! Michael Bay (king of the hacks) should have directed this crap.

May 6 - 02:10 PM

Brad Gladfelter

Brad Gladfelter

What's funny is that only days before Iron Man 3 released to the public they had an interview with Robert Downey Jr. that basically kissed his butt for showing up and at one point he said, "He loves rottentomatoes.com"....you know he got paid for the interview...then only prior to that Disney/Pixar bought the rights to Rottentomatoes.com...by milking the appropriate people who regularly go to that site and are "regular reviewers" the percentage who liked it was already skewed to 99% liked just on the day of opening night!!!!....see what I'm getting at people...I am not a journalist or a media professional but anyone can see they used the media to "trick" people into thinking it was a good movie...I wouldn't have given this movie anything but 2 1/2 stars for simply being part of the Iron Man and Marvel trilogy....all those complaining it was a good movie are tricked by their media manipulation...I say every media person should be ashamed of the way they handled this and there should definitely be legal action for misrepresentation along the Disney, Rotten Tomatoes, and media involved....very disgusted by this still!!!!

P.S...I'm not a Marvel fanboy, liked all the marvel movies so far short of X-Men 3: The Last Stand (although I'm hoping the new Days of Future Past will make since of this, in which case I would like that too)...only a person who loves movies and takes seriously people who do reviews a dishonor by saying it was good...nothing short of a terrible film only kept afloat by good actors

May 22 - 12:41 PM

Mikey Yakushi

Mikey Yakushi

what i don't get from you is that you complain there are no original ideas, and they don't go the comic book route and come up with an original idea and you bash it? yeah the twist wasn't that great, and i found myself a bit disappointed as well, but it was still funny and clever.

May 29 - 08:19 AM

Garret Wood

Garret Wood

I saw the movie, I liked the movie, but the twist really ruined the momentum for me. Guy Pearce was great don't get me wrong, but the way the movie was marketed, and with the type of character they had in the Mandarin, I was just pissed to see what they did. ***SPOILER*** One of the biggest complaints I had was the whole actor thing. Literally the first thing I thought of as soon as that happened was, if he was just an actor, then why in the hell would he agree to blow someones head off on national television? He even said he didn't know anyone would get hurt, hell yes you would, you shot someone in the head!

May 6 - 10:02 AM

Jackson Schaecher

Jackson Schaecher

Hated the twist, but he did mention that was done by special effects/green screen in the movie. Still, I wanted my money back. I was really enjoying it before then too.

May 6 - 08:16 PM

Josh Leitzel

Josh Leitzel

If I'm correct that guy didn't die. I'm pretty sure I saw him in the "Mandarin's" home when Tony came to find him.

May 11 - 11:51 PM

Bo H.

Bo Hotchkiss

There are reasons everyone should dismiss this film as just plain horrible & boring. Not to mention it should piss you off because they thought you, the audience member, were so stupid you'd pass this off as a story. Not only did they ruin the Mandarin, it wasn't even an "alternate universe" take on the Mandarin. As alternate universes go for Marvel, usually Spider-Man has spider powers in all the universes. But comic fan complaints aside, what about the HUGE gaping hole in the plot? Antagonist's goal: Get Tony Stark to help me finish Extremis as he's already figured it out & I can't figure it out. Also, get Pepper Potts all to myself. Ok, step one: Kill the both of them. Now their dead. All the world thinks at least Tony is dead. Step two: hope I was wrong & they're not really dead? Because otherwise I just f#@$ed up my entire plan anyway? Seriously? People enjoyed this hodge-podge contradiction of a "film."

May 6 - 09:34 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

i just wanted to say that after Trevor Slattery ( im not calling him the mandarin) kills that old man on tv in front of president...the way he says nothing can save you sounds really crappy ....he sounds as if has something stuck up his throat

May 6 - 07:10 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

eventhough i didnt read the comics....i wanted the mandarin to be like Bane......a cool terrorist.....i did not mind abot the rings not having powers ........the twist was also not so bad actually...its the comedy ( which was funny) that ruined it eventhough i enjoyed laughing

May 6 - 07:01 AM

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

I think the rings coulda had powers. If you have a guy made out of magma, can regenerate limbs, and can breathe fire then magic rings isn't so crazy. But i guess they wanted to piss off 3/4 of the movie audience but killing the Mandarin and introducing Trevor.

May 6 - 08:29 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

true

May 7 - 01:40 AM

Henry Sanchez

Henry Sanchez

they ruined one of the best villains created in the marvel universe, what a letdown

May 6 - 12:15 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

They really did! Plus they grossly misled the consumer. Awful!

May 6 - 03:39 AM

Jonny Claveria

Jonny Claveria

They could've made the twist work, but the did it with such a huge "BANG" that it was just silly. Him being an actor? Yeah, it just doesn't work much. I don't think the movie was at all bad, and I saw several story arcs that made Iron Man 3 what it is. It's not a terrible movie, but the Mandarin twist was the worst part of it all. The movie itself was good though.

For those who say this movie doesn't follow comics, you're both right and wrong. No comic-book movie is completely accurate. If comic movies should be based alone on how true they stay to the comics, Nolan's Batman films would be considered the worst comic films ever. However, they are not.

Take into consideration that Iron Man 3 does NOT take place in 616, and just enjoy the movie for what it is. They always have time to redeem it in a possible sequel and The Avengers 2.

May 5 - 08:03 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Robert was great in it!! I thought this film let his hard work down. Big time!

May 6 - 03:44 AM

Garrett S.

Garrett Simons

If they hadn't made the Mandarin look so beast in the trailers, the twist wouldn't have been so bad. It's actually a cool idea, it just didn't work out in this.

May 5 - 07:45 PM

Ragnar Palkie

Ragnar Palkie

I realized this movie was bad about a half hour ito it when I found myself wanting to like it, a lot like the first Star Wars, but in reality there wasnt much to like, went to see it for what i thought would be the the best villain to date.... They ruined a great opportunity with a flat out stupid plot twist. And I am no hater of Marvel movies, LOVED almost all of them, but this was a huge disappointing failure IMO, yes only an opinion. I hope the New Thor is much better than this!

May 5 - 06:51 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I thought it was great...until...

May 6 - 03:44 AM

Eric Newby

Eric Newby

I think the Iron Man franchise (in the movies) really suffers from poor villains. They have one of the most interesting super heroes, and great actors, but over all, the villains are normally weak. That's why I was so excited to see this one! The Mandarin is Iron Man's arch nemesis. This was supposed to be the "Dark Knight" of the Iron Man series. I think they completely missed the mark with the villain. I understand the "figurehead" idea, and I think that's great, but they really ruined the villain as a VILLAIN.
The Mandarin Plot Twist fails because they already set up Adrian Killich as a villain from the beginning. So they basically used Iron Man's top nemesis to make the secondary bad guy (Killich) the primary one. And even he wasn't a great villain. Iron Man cannot beat him, but his wife can? Yeah...
But I did enjoy it

May 5 - 05:08 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I couldn't possibly agree more!! Bad villains. It's like they want parents to take their kids so they make the villains low brow. Jeff Bridges was cliche but effective. They blew Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell, Guy Pearce, and Ben Kinglsey!!

May 6 - 03:41 AM

Sean Abe

Sean Abe

To everyone who thought the Mandarin twist was brilliant, here is another one for you. Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Mr. Sandman, Jack Frost, the Tooth Fairy, and the Boogeyman are not real!

May 5 - 02:00 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

The twist was pointless, but in terms of the entire history of cinema, it's probably not the worst one.

May 5 - 01:33 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

But has there ever been a cinematic product which misled the consumer as much as Iron Man 3?

May 6 - 03:41 AM

TheMovieGuy

Robbie Moore

Not the worst plot twist EVER. But it was a bit ridiculous

May 5 - 01:21 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Haha!

May 6 - 03:42 AM

Dominic Williams

Dominic Williams

Scooby Doo Plot Twist was terrible .... who knew one of Ironman's greatest villains was Ole Man Jenkins..... I need some Scooby Snacks

May 5 - 01:17 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

"And I would've gotten away with it, too. If it weren't for that meddling Stark and his dumb suits!"

May 5 - 01:32 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

nice one...

May 6 - 06:59 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Would have been better if Scrappy Doo was Mandarin!!

Dominic Williams

Dominic Williams

Scooby Doo Plot Twist was terrible .... who knew one of Ironman's greatest villains was Ole Man Jenkins..... I need some Scooby Snacks

Dominic Williams

Dominic Williams

Mark Angelini

Mark Angelini

Ole! Ole, ole, ole!

:D

May 5 - 01:13 PM

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

Mandarin twist was horrible. The only reason not everyone is upset is because Iron Man was never that popular before the movies. If they did this with the Joker in the Dark Knight i guarantee nobody would see it as a brilliant twist. Turning an iconic arch rival of a superhero into a joke is messed up.

May 5 - 11:51 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Plus they misled people going in so obscenely!

OverPower Legion

OverPower Legion

I dont think the director or writer of this movie actually read anything about these characters.

May 5 - 09:01 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Me either. I wonder if this was a Lethal Weapon 5 script, unused, they had lying around and put it into the Iron Man Franchise.

May 6 - 03:43 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

get the fuck over it

May 5 - 08:48 AM

Rangga Andhika

Rangga Andhika

i think the twist was disappointing. i expected the mandarin will be the strongest iron man enemy.

May 5 - 06:59 AM

Rangga Andhika

Rangga Andhika

i think the twist was disappointing. i expected the mandarin will be the strongest iron man enemy.

May 5 - 06:59 AM

Guillermo Nieves Lugo

Guillermo Nieves Lugo

Was it a twist?? I mean... It was predictable.... So I don't see it as a twist but I agree that it sucked. Movie was great in general but nothing special. It didn't blow me away.... Didn't felt like an Iron Man movie

May 5 - 05:44 AM

Guillermo Nieves Lugo

Guillermo Nieves Lugo

Was it a twist?? I mean... It was predictable.... So I don't see it as a twist but I agree that it sucked. Movie was great I general but nothing special. It didn't blow me away.... Didn't felt like an Iron Man movie

May 5 - 05:44 AM

Chinedu Opara

Chinedu Opara

Disney/Marvel would have done really well if they tied Iron Man 3's Mandarin back to the "Ten Rings" hinted in Iron Man 1. That would have closed a loophole and given us the villain we wanted: a charismatic leader who unites TEN different terrorist sects from different parts of the world - something no one has ever done before. Instead they gave us this Trevor bullshit. Wasted opportunity. Oh well!

May 5 - 03:03 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Wow! I forgot, too! They did hint the rings in the first film. Then...IM 2 & 3...

May 5 - 05:13 AM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

The Hollyweirdos who made this movie sacrificed Mandarin for their message that America creates its own enemies. They wanted to make the point that we created Islamic terror and we created Osama bin Laden. Odd that we created something, Islamic terror, that pre-dated America and that attacked America the second we became a nation. They tried to make a point that Tony is Iron Man with or without the suit. But they tried to make that point with empty Iron Man suits saving the day. If Tony is Iron Man, then the empty suits should have failed.

May 5 - 02:00 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Wow! I forgot, too! They did hint the rings in the first film. Then...IM 2 & 3...

May 5 - 03:47 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Frank, such pristine analysis of their deeply flawed Screenplay!!

They did want to say USA creates our own enemies...but then they half-baked it when AIM created Mandarin. (And yes I get the VP was involved, but he was a rogue agent.)

They were exploring the causes of terror and imperialism and creating such an interesting movie...then...The Mandarin Plot Twist. Horrible.

May 5 - 03:52 AM

Michael Rubinstein

Michael Rubinstein

I loved this movie. It was three times better than I expected it to be. The character interaction and dialogue sparkled (especially with Tony, Pepper, and that kid), the action and suspense were riveting, and the story was actually interesting, unlike the first two films. My favorite part of all was the plot twist with the Mandarin, because I did NOT see that coming. All the marketing and promotion of this film did an excellent job of misdirection, taking advantage of the fact that the existence of the character in the comics means that people will be SURE they know what to expect, so use that and then BAM! surprise us with something completely different. Brilliant.

May 5 - 01:13 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

See, when The Usual Suspect had plot twists...that was brilliant. Iron Man 3. That was lame. IMO.

May 5 - 03:53 AM

Robert Paro

Robert Paro

Usual Suspects was an average film with predictable plot twists.

May 5 - 08:29 AM

Jackson Schaecher

Jackson Schaecher

They used one of the best actors in cinema to play a trick on the viewers and left us with a joke of a villain in his stead. This was retarded. Sorry.

May 6 - 08:26 PM

Rachit Goyal

Rachit Goyal

They took an advantage of the fans love for the character and took a steaming shit in our mouths. Hell yeah you liked them for taking a shit on the Mandarin, I bet you must be paid by Shane Black for your stupid comments

Jun 4 - 10:59 AM

Jeffrey Ballesteros

Jeffrey Ballesteros

I agree. The Mandarin SHOULD HAVE STAYED TRUE TO THE COMICS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2d1mGdZHM0

May 5 - 12:03 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

No doubt!! So much great stuff they could have done!!

May 5 - 04:34 AM

David Petty

David Petty

For those of you confused as to why those of us who had high hopes for this film were utterly and completely disappointed - read up on who the mandarin COULD have and SHOULD have been: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_(comics)

May 4 - 11:50 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Absolutely! What a letdown and a disgrace!!

May 5 - 03:53 AM

Leo Monteiro

Leo Monteiro

the movie was complete and total crap

May 4 - 11:16 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Yes. It was. :)

May 5 - 03:54 AM

Lee Augustus

Lee Augustus

I thought so too

May 5 - 03:46 PM

Alex David Martinez Moncaleano

Alex David Martinez Moncaleano

For Andrew and people that thinks the movie sucks, are just desaponited kids; this movie rocks. They make the Mandarin an idea a powerful idea for the american people who enjoys to be afraid, and the fact is the terrorits group is a fact. If they make a movie with the mandarin shooting lights beams that will be lazy and silly however the explainations they give, i love the personal journey of Tony and guys don´t such an assholes Pepper saving the day that is grounbreaking. Great flick..........go to see the film, if you don´t like formulas and enjoy a interesting storytelling

May 4 - 11:14 PM

David Petty

David Petty

Uhhhmmm... last time I checked Tony Stark's main weapon appears to be a bright beam of light.

Annnnnnnd THAT is where your argument falls apart. Don't be such a fan boy that you're not willing to admit Disney ruined this film by turning one of the Greatest super villians of all time into a crappy cover-up plot.

May 4 - 11:51 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

The people who like the movie liked the message - Americans want to be afraid so they make up their own terrorists. That message is ridiculous. Nobody made up Hitler, and Islamic terrorists pre-date America.

May 5 - 02:01 AM

Jason Strandberg

Jason Strandberg

Alex the movie is formulaic that is how the genre is shaped, but really the problem with the film is that he should have stayed the terrorist that pulled the trigger on an innocent man. It was then that he was complex and layered, more interesting. Frank I would have to disagree completely Americans do not want to be afraid, they like a lot of other people just do not like terrorists, so I think you missed the point and Islamic terrorists do not pre-date America.

May 5 - 02:46 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Alex...it's the Marvel Universe. Aliens. Robots. Gods. Time travel.

Iron Man 3. Major villain. No. A clown drinking beer.

You claim the former is lazy??

May 5 - 04:00 AM

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

Shooting light beams is silly but a guy who breathes fire and is made of magma is not? Making Iron man's most iconic villian into a joke was a bad move.

May 5 - 02:20 PM

Tyler Byrd

Tyler Byrd

I could not agree with this post more. Honestly, I don't know much about the Mandarin but I know he's a great villain who can do great things, and this sold him way short.

May 4 - 11:04 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Me too, Tyler!!

May 5 - 04:01 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

They sold us all down the river! Not the first great villain Marvel Movies destroyed. But one of the most offensive.

May 5 - 04:02 AM

Manas Rai

Manas Rai

I hated the mandarin twist but I felt Guy Pearce's performance made up for it, I have never read the comics but I do know mandarin is a kick ass villain and guys, stop judging the entire film for just one twist. As much as it was annoying, Guy Pearce was a decent villain towards the climax. To those who are annoyed with the film's twist due to which you hate it I suggest you watch the film again, might give you a better prospective of the film

May 4 - 10:15 PM

David Petty

David Petty

Guy Pierce's character was nothing more than an over-drugged, jilted nerd who'd hit the big time and needed to cover for his mistakes.

I'm sorry - but it was bland.

May 4 - 11:54 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

And Iron Man didn't defeat him. One of the main themes of the movie was that Iron Man is the man instead of the suit. But empty suits saved the day, and then Pepper beat the main villain with his own technology. Without the suits Tony Stark was an observer. Then he destroyed all the suits because America is the bad guy who created enemies by defending itself. But in the Avengers movie they needed defense, not warped ideals.

May 5 - 02:03 AM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

And Iron Man didn't defeat him. One of the main themes of the movie was that Iron Man is the man instead of the suit. But empty suits saved the day, and then Pepper beat the main villain with his own technology. Without the suits Tony Stark was an observer. Then he destroyed all the suits because America is the bad guy who created enemies by defending itself. But in the Avengers movie they needed defense, not warped ideals.

May 5 - 02:03 AM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

venom...great villain turned to shit in spiderman3
galactus...great villain turned to shit in fantastic four 2
mandarin...welcome to that list

May 4 - 09:36 PM

Christopher Kelly

Christopher Kelly

Sup Nigs Rodriguez. My nigga shit. Hells yeah. Those be some wack ass villains. Some mother fucking bullshit right there. Damn stupid punk ass Disney fucking up the Marvel Universe and shit. If this nigga can see that shit then all you pansy ass fans can. Na mean?

May 5 - 12:27 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Fantastic Four 2 and Spider-Man 3 weren't Disney. Also I don't think Disney yet bought Marvel in 2007 then.

May 5 - 05:08 PM

Nykirnsu 1.

Nykirnsu 1

I hardly see how this is Disney's fault; remember that the Avengers was made under Disney and it was great; no, the blame here is placed purely on Marvel Studios (or possibly just Shane Black).

May 10 - 11:07 PM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

venom...character turned to shit in the movies
galactic...character turned to shit in the movies
mandarin....welcome to that list

May 4 - 09:21 PM

El_Capitan

El_ Capitan

Did anyone else expect Arnold to show up as an AIM mercenary and say, "Everybody! Burn!".

May 4 - 08:25 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I could hear Arnold after...The Mandarin Plot Twist.

May 5 - 03:44 AM

Rainbow Spirit

Rainbow Spirit

Sorry but the only answer i can find for the people who likes this movie is that they're simply stupid, even more than the writer. That or the fact they don't have the balls to admit this movie is bullshit. It wasnt "Iron Man 3" this was more like Lethal Weapon 5. And the plot holes are not plot holes they are more like fucking black holes LOL. even my 8 year old brother dislike it

May 4 - 08:15 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Well said, Rainbow!

May 4 - 08:16 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I wonder if this was a revise Lethal Weapon 5 script...or something like that. Lethal Weapon take on War on Terror. Etc.

May 4 - 08:18 PM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

i felt cheated when i left the theater..cinematic blue balls

May 4 - 09:38 PM

Kindra Pring Eubanks

Kindra Pring Eubanks

People are stupid for not liking a superhero movie?

Didn't realize the test for academia was now a persons opinion on entertainment. Not just entertainment - a superhero movie.

Also, I hate it when people go on and say "EVEN MY KIDS HATE THIS! AND KIDS ARE CLEARLY MORONS!" Kids do what you do. If you hate it, of course your kids are going to hate it. They're following your lead. It's a movie. Not even the worst movie ever or even in the bottom ten and if you try to make that argument you're an absolute fool. Get off your soap box and accept that not everyone is so sad in their day to day life that they feel the need to passionately loath a movie.

May 4 - 10:45 PM

Jason Strandberg

Jason Strandberg

Kids are not morons, they are rather clever and can be very cunning at times, kids also develop opinions of their own rather easily and they do not care how they are viewed at early ages, people are free to dislike or like equally in this day and age and I feel it rather disrespectful that you would say that these people have no life or calling them sad or trying to flex your intellectual muscle. Countering an argument is the mark of a scholar, name calling is angry with no fore thought, so what are your insights in the film, what did you think of the movie and more importantly do you have the courage to speak whilst being judged by others.

May 5 - 02:56 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I remember being a kid watching Dick Tracey. Turned out Madonna was The Blank. A cool plot twist. Surprise. No one saw it coming. The Blank, a cool villain, was a puppet. It worked.

Mandarin. A disgrace!!!!!

May 5 - 04:03 AM

Rainbow Spirit

Rainbow Spirit

A) this was not a superheroe movie, this was a cop buddy movie, lethal weapon 5, rush hour 4, bad boys 3, you name it.
B) the kids aren't dumb, if they go to an "iron man" movie in which they barely sees iron man guess what? they're not going to like it, besides it's a rated PG-13. Hell he even got toys from the first two movies. Now, if you're telling me that your definition of entertainment is to laugh your ass of with and i quote the movie "cheap tricks and bad jokes" be my guest but this movie is ridiculous. For example: Tony's waiting an inmiment attack from the Mandarin wearing a suit that doesnt work to fight. Jarvis can't detect the helicopters with missiles near to Tony's house. Everyone can use the iron man suits, Pepper, one of the bad guys, the president, even when the suits are just supposed to work with Tony, Rhodes and no one else. Tony gets the arc reactor removed like it was nothing leaving completly useless the plot of the iron man 2, remember? looking all the movie to create that new element to replace the palladium when all this time he just can get a surgery to remove it in 20 minutes or so. And what about the motivations of the bad guy?? "i'm doing all this because you leave alone in the roof top, so now it's time to pay" but hey, that's just me

May 5 - 12:46 PM

Kindra Pring Eubanks

Kindra Pring Eubanks

People are stupid for not liking a superhero movie?

Didn't realize the test for academia was now a persons opinion on entertainment. Not just entertainment - a superhero movie.

Also, I hate it when people go on and say "EVEN MY KIDS HATE THIS! AND KIDS ARE CLEARLY MORONS!" Kids do what you do. If you hate it, of course your kids are going to hate it. They're following your lead. It's a movie. Not even the worst movie ever or even in the bottom ten and if you try to make that argument you're an absolute fool. Get off your soap box and accept that not everyone is so sad in their day to day life that they feel the need to passionately loath a movie.

May 4 - 10:45 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

Loved when the kid showed Tony the paper. The kid clearly knew Tony was Tony Stark. Then the kid asks Tony's name, and accepts "the Mechanic".

May 5 - 02:05 AM

Parth Patel

Parth Patel

Hey guys...once i say this the connection is going to click...this movie's plot is almost exactly like the Incredibles. I was so hyped about this movie and it was good until they pulled that shit. Ben Kingsley would have been very good as the Mandarin (not prefect)but still good. Why any director would think that this would have been a good plot twist is beyond me. I stayed until the end of the credits just to see if there would be a shot of the fake mandarin smiling sinisterly or something along those lines and that the whole the with guy pearce was just him manipulating his mind. That to me would have been brilliant. But no. We get a stale, half-funny scene with Bruce Banner.

May 4 - 07:35 PM

Slow Poke

Slow Poke

And he's just super stupid, that bald guy was with him when he went to see Pepper, many people saw that. And he still let that bald guy show the Extremis power publicly, really?

May 4 - 04:42 PM

Slow Poke

Slow Poke

Also unless BB or TDKR, Killian is already revealed to be a villain from the beginning, why ruin the Mandarin to make the 2nd bad guy to the biggest bad guy? It makes no sense.

May 4 - 03:35 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

At least introduce someone more menacing than Mandarin. A superhero film is only as good as its villain.

May 4 - 04:27 PM

Slow Poke

Slow Poke

Yes, Killain wasn't even a villain in the comic.

May 4 - 04:40 PM

Ethan Franson

Ethan Franson

Ok I don't know why people like this!!! Look this is like if you where watching the dark knight and the Joker comes out and hes a freaking rodeo clown on a bike honking his nose and throwing pies at kids, and if that was his role in that movie.....WOULD IT STILL BE AS GOOD AS IT WAS???? NO it would not! At least bane was still a huge guy and in the three movies of that series it was pretty much stated that no one was going to have real superpowers or Ra's al Ghul would oh been different. But this freaking movie can not claim they wanted to make it more realistic because Iron is bitching about saving the world from aliens the whole freaking movie. Ya that movie talk to my butt because thats the only thing that gives a crap!

May 4 - 03:18 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Exactly! The this is more realistic argument is ridiculous. If anything, AIM would never tolerate a drunk dopey fop in their midst. They were pathological mass murderers.

Especially in a world where Aliens invade and dudes have giant flying robots...the whole 'more realistic' argument is...well...unrealistic.

May 4 - 04:27 PM

Michael Indo

Michael Indo

The Mandarin was a martial artist and a scientific genius in the comics. Aldrich Killian (the REAL Mandarin in Iron Man 3) was also a martial artist and scientific genius. So the crime here is no worse than the one committed in TDKR. Also, please stop comparing the Mandarin to the Joker. The Mandarin is a C-list villain while the Joker is one of the iconic characters ever created.

May 4 - 07:46 PM

Ethan Franson

Ethan Franson

bro the mandarin is iron mans arch nemesis. Batman arch-nemesis is the joker, Supermans is lex luther arch-nemesis soo why is the argument invalid? If you are making a movie about their arch-nemesis you make it epic and do it right. (the real Mandarin).... Plus you just made my point stop comparing the mandarin to joker the c-list villian (again which is a stupid statement since iron man, and captain america are the poster boys for marvel see marvel civil war) If the joker was portrayed retarded in the dark knight that movie would of sucked!

May 4 - 10:29 PM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

The difference is that the Mandarin is part of the broader pop culture fabric. I'm not a comic book guy, but I knew about the Joker and Lex Luthor years before the Michael Keaton Batman movie. Knew about Lex Luthor, too. Never heard of the Mandarin until I read up on characters after seeing (and enjoying) the first Iron Man.
So, for me, the analogy of Mandarin as IM's Joker doesn't really work. I get what people are going for by making the analogy, but I just don't feel it. I enjoyed this movie, and I thought the plot twist was hilarious. There was a ripple of laughter throughout the theater I was in, so a couple of people enjoyed it, too, I think.

May 5 - 01:10 PM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

Should be: "The difference is that the Mandarin ISN'T part of the broader pop culture fabric."

May 5 - 02:26 PM

ModelSènsation Photographÿ

Calm down... Way down..it wasn't titanic for goodness sake. Fan "boys" are sucking the fun out of movies... because stories cannot continue or evolve without "betraying " a middle aged mans childhood fantasy character. Mandrin was funny as hell... The movie was fun and entertaining.

May 4 - 02:35 PM

Btw... The real Mandrin may still exists...

May 4 - 03:15 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

BTW...fan boys are really easy to please. Just give us the formula. Don't make bad choices.

May 4 - 04:23 PM

Kindra Pring Eubanks

Kindra Pring Eubanks

HA! HAHA! Fan boys are some of the most whiny movie goers in history. I have never once met a fan boy who was easy to please. I have met hardcore Batman fans who can't even enjoy The Dark Knight. You are not easy to please. At least take some pride in your obsessive pickiness. The whole reason producers stopped caring what fanboys think is they realized they now have thousands of people who don't care about the canon and that they could never please real "fan boys" unless they started adapting crappy fan fiction.

May 4 - 10:48 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Fan boys are sucking the fun out of movies? I would argue the general public is sucking the fun out of movies. Disney makes IM3 a family comedy for ticket sales and they pull this silly stunt.

May 4 - 04:21 PM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

I liked the twist. And I like the fact that the movie didn't just stick to the normal formula. That gets boring. Nice work taking a chance. Nicer that it seems to have generally payed off as far as critics and the bulk of the viewers are concerned.

May 4 - 08:18 PM

Jackson Schaecher

Jackson Schaecher

They cast an amazing actor and used him as a plot twist. Retarded.

May 6 - 08:36 PM

Allison Summers

Allison Summers

There is some truth to that. Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel, etc. gets spat on because it doesn't adhere completely to the source material, but when they try to move with the canon too closely they are "unoriginal". There is no pleasing people really. That said, the assessment of the Mandarin in this case is correct by most people here. It was a lackluster twist--mostly because of the difference in acting qualities between Kingsley and Pearce, when the purpose of the villain is to create dread and not be "funny". Otherwise how are we supposed to take Stark/Iron Man seriously?

Jun 4 - 07:44 PM

Christian Kneier

Christian Kneier

you nerds are really overreacting...i see comics and movies as seperate universes so the big reveal didnt bother me that much...the rest of the movie was still great fun to watch.

May 4 - 02:03 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Nerds? I prefer scholar. Honorable to the text and integrity of the cathartic creative process.

May 4 - 02:09 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

nope your a nerd face the music.

May 5 - 06:05 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

I've never read a comic book in my life and I thought the twist was unnecessary considering that Ben Kingsley's character was way more menacing than Guy Pearce's.

May 4 - 02:12 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

EXACTLY!!! They replaced the great villain presence with a lame duck.

May 4 - 04:22 PM

Ryan N.

Ryan Niemi

What I enjoy about most Marvel films is their re-watchability. (If that's a word.) This twist reminds me of the train wreck in the Village. The reveal will make any repeat viewings of The Mandarin bombings completely ineffective now. This may be the first Marvel film I will not own on video.

May 4 - 06:41 PM

Chinedu Opara

Chinedu Opara

Gotta agree. There's officially no real "need" to re-watch Iron Man 3. So if I ever own it, it'll be for completeness sake (when the inevitable Iron Man box set comes out).

May 5 - 02:51 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

hey chinedu...i actually saw it twice cause my friends were asking me to come....its actually fun eventhough you watch it a second time and dont consider it a superhero movie

May 6 - 07:03 AM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

I don't expect the movies to be the exact same as the comic. I also don't expect the movies to ruin a villain the way they did

May 4 - 09:23 PM

Miss. Brightside

Madi Lou

I know The Mandarin plot twist has caused some debate over whether it was a good twist or not. But we cannot say that we did not get to see some action in the end of the film, the end was fantastic, we got to see so many different dimensions to Tony Stark. For example how he react to Pepper dying and then her saving Tony for the second time is just one of many. The downside to the Mandarin twist we for me personally that we did not see the battle between Iron and the Mandarin. It would have been fantastic to see with Ben Kinsley and RDJ fight. But we have to remember that these film are now not just for us comic book fans they have to appeal to all audiences and the comic element that the twist brought was excellent the whole cinema was laughing both times that I went.
I feel sorry for the die-hard comic book fans, but as we say for book don't judge a book by its cover and the same for trailers don't expect the film to follow the trailer and by now we should all expect that film are often different from books/comic. If we keep criticising this film they won't make anymore. Truly from the heart I wish they had produced Tony's/ Iron-man's greatest arch enemy but they didn't and we have as fans to understand and there are understandable reasons why they didn't.
The films have got us to such a good point now with all the characters and as we know the comic books if they decide to do another then fantastic we get to see more of the great Tony Stark but if not we have the three films to look back on the had brought one of the most loved characters to life and let a wide audience experience him. What I feel that most comic book fans and film fans should be worrying about is if RDJ does not decide re-new his contract who will take his place and play the character so many of us love and then we will never be able to see what happens after Iron Man 3.

May 4 - 12:28 PM

Levi Johnson

Levi Johnson

I freaking agree.

May 4 - 12:24 PM

Robert Gutierrez

Robert Gutierrez

Jon Favreau should have directed this one

May 4 - 12:13 PM

Jeffrey Gordon

Jeffrey Gordon

It was a bad movie.

May 4 - 11:53 AM

Ben Franklin

Ben Franklin

I cannot believe what Disney did to the Mandarin...? Really...you take one of the best villans and turn him into a JOKE..! Not to mention now apparently everyone in the universe can put on an iron man suit all of which totally make the real Iron Man irrelevant. This movie was terrible...thanks Disney

May 4 - 11:13 AM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

Disney made the Avengers. Just saying.

May 4 - 11:15 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

nice one, this guy is stupid

May 4 - 02:56 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

alexandra or benjamin?

May 6 - 07:04 AM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

agreed. what a way to ruin one of iron man's top rivals.

hollis, if someone disagrees with your opinion, does that make you stupid??

May 4 - 09:25 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

he is bitching about the stupidest thing possible, aside from the mandarin. okay ill give him that, because everyone seems to be bawling about that. but oh no everyone gets a costume, booo hooo..just a terrible argument

May 5 - 08:53 AM

Kindra Pring Eubanks

Kindra Pring Eubanks

So, I decided to bite and read up a little bit on the Mandarin.

And I'm sorry, but he sounds like one of the most cliched villains of all time. There's a reason the Joker is a household name, but Lux Luthor is still mostly only known to fans. It's because the Joker is such a personality and history that it stands out, whereas Luthor is the type of villain satires still make fun of. Mandarin is so boring, and so stereotypical, he sounds like a satire.

Guy names Mandarin, good at martial arts, strong sense of honor, also a super genius. Got his powers from an ancient alien race. Almost sounds like the plot to Avengers except at least Loki despite a very cliched backstory in that particular adaptation had enough personality to make it interesting. But you can only do those personalities so many times before THEY become old. Now imagine doing someone like the Mandarin.

I don't care how "badass" he is or how your sheltered childhood was designed by him and Iron Man beating each other in the comic books, be objective a little bit. And realize why they did what they did. Because they aren't out to please the fans, the most unpleasable bunch out of all entertainment demographics. They're out to please the general public - the people who became fans through the movies. The people who fans degrade, even though really, they probably have better taste than most fans. Because you aren't looking for real stories, or development, or anything remotely related to art. You want a carbon copy of decades old comic books to relive your nostalgia, and we have movies like that. They're pieces of shit.

They did Mandarin the way they did on purpose, not to piss you off but to try and make it into something that the average person wouldn't see and go "Wow, an overpowered super-intelligent villain with a thousand racial stereotypes. Haven't seen THAT ten thousand times". They put him in a different culture, then they made the man himself a different culture. And the twist is, the person you thought was the Mandarin the whole time, wasn't the Mandarin at all. Just a picture of who you assumed him to be. Even that is slightly recycled (nothing is new anymore) but it is FAR more fresh and FAR more interesting than just another supervillain who's only interesting because he makes nice action sequences.

I am so sick and tired of fans deciding a movie is horrible just because it doesn't do everything exactly canon, because I'm sorry, a lot of comic books are dumb. Some of them are very good. Some of them define generations. But a lot of them, especially the older ones, are riddled with cliches. They're written like they ran out of ideas way too long ago. And that's why we have a hundred supervillains with the exact same backstory.

Give it up. Superheroes don't belong to you anymore. They belong to everyone. Go find some other hobby to be alone in if you desire so badly to be special.

May 4 - 10:57 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

"They did Mandarin the way they did on purpose, not to piss you off but to try and make it into something that the average person wouldn't see and go "Wow, an overpowered super-intelligent villain with a thousand racial stereotypes." Wrong. They made Mandarin the way they did to deliver their warped liberal view point that America creates its own terrorists. They believe America is responsible for all the violence in the world, and that "freedom" and "liberty" and red white and blue are empty shells. They believe America is evil for creating an army or any type of defense, which is why Tony destroyed all the Iron Man armor at the end.

May 5 - 02:09 AM

Jackson Schaecher

Jackson Schaecher

Let's forget about the Mandarin and concentrate fully on how shitty they were in using Ben Kingsley. Joke.

May 6 - 08:39 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Kindra, you say Mandarin is a racial stereotype? Because you read about him?

No way. Just a hard character to write.

You should spend some time reading Mandarin stories. Instead of reading ABOUT Mandarin stories.

Study how much effort was put into his character during 40 + years.

I'm defending the creators of 40+ years who lived and died to tell his tale. I'm defending American mythology. And I'm upset with Hollywood for taking a beloved fable and trashing it.

Because those stories do belong to everyone. And everyone should have a good story.

May 5 - 04:11 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

im not saying i agree with yo andy but i understand your pain.evnthough i did not read the comics.i still really wanted to see more of the mandarin

May 6 - 07:06 AM

Kindra Pring Eubanks

Kindra Pring Eubanks

For movie evidence of this, take note: Trevor (or whatever his name was) wasn't the Mandarin. It was Killian. Yet all anyone seems to notice or care about is Trevor, even though he was basically just a figurehead. Because even if he makes fan boys mad, HE IS MUCH MORE INTERESTING. Killian is much closer to the original mythos, and if they had just had him as Mandarin, you guys probably would have bought it. But you barely notice him. Because he ISN'T INTERESTING. You know why Batman and Iron Man are more interesting than Superman? Because they have flaws and weaknesses, which result in personalities and backstories. It takes some very creative writing, usually resulting in him being a jerk, to make Superman interesting.

Trevor was more interesting, and I wouldn't really even call him a villain. He was basically a side character. But that is who stuck in your mind, because the actual villain, the one who is actually similar to Mandarin (without the ridiculous attributes that would be completely out of place in this particular Iron Man universe) you probably barely noticed. Because he wasn't interesting. At all.

May 4 - 11:04 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Killian wasn't more interesting! That's the problem. That's the WHOLE problem!

May 5 - 05:16 AM

Rainbow Spirit

Rainbow Spirit

Yeah, you know now that i think about it, a guy with ten rings of power has nothing to do in a universe that have wars involving gods, aliens and human with super powers...

May 5 - 12:55 PM

Alex Maverick

Alex Maverick

If Ben Kingsley just wasn't in the movie at all, there wouldn't be this big controversy. But because he was and he out shined Guy Pearce in every way, people are upset. I am not a comic book reader. I am just a moviegoer and I thought Ben Kingsley's fake villain persona was more menacing than Guy Pearce's real villain.

May 5 - 02:37 PM

Sean Abe

Sean Abe

As others have said, the Mandarin is Iron man's Joker or Lex Luthor. I was so excited to see Iron Man face off against his arch nemesis. Then, we find it is was all a joke? Fine, but why then use the Mandarin anyway? Why not just create some random fake bad guy instead of Iron Man's most badass foe? And, Iron Man gets his butt kicked multiple times by a roided up nerd with no fighting experience? Laughable. Some people here are lauding this plot twist like it was this year's "Sixth Sense". Seriously? We watch these movies because we want to see superheroes fight super villains not rich guys in metal suits, apparently made in China fighting drugged up geeks with extreme makeovers.

May 4 - 10:27 AM

Michael Indo

Michael Indo

Aldrich Killian was the real Mandarin. Get over yourself.

May 4 - 07:47 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

That's like saying an alien who fires a lazer gun is the real Joker. Killian bore no resemblance to the Mandarin. If they wanted to create different villains then create something new. Hollyweird loves to license things, then change them to become unrecognizable. They drew in Iron Man fans but delivered some warped liberal hero in a fantasy land where America creates its own enemies. Tony is the perfect liberal. The very idea of defending the planet sends him into panic fits. The Hollyweirdos who made this movie think showing empty suits saving the day shows that Tony, not the suit, is Iron Man. It showed the opposite - that anyone can be inside the suit, or even nobody.

May 5 - 02:14 AM

Sean Abe

Sean Abe

Agreed. So, they basically castrated Tony Stark and turned him into an everyday Joe. Now, they need someone to attempt to salvage the franchise. We want our superheroes to be superheroes. Pepper Potts, unmanned suits, random goons being able to use the suits as well as Tony Stark (who got his butt kicked repeatedly by some roided up nerd? No thanks.

May 5 - 01:57 PM

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

Killian was not the Mandarin. He was Guy Pierce who breates fire that is all.

May 5 - 11:45 AM

noodlez

noodlez zeldoon

AGREED ON THE MANDARIN BULLSHIGIDDY!

May 4 - 10:15 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

The Mandarin Plot Twist = Pure bullshigiddy!!

May 4 - 04:28 PM

Bryan Terng

Bryan Terng

Honestly, I love and hate The Mandarin Plot Twist. I never read the comics, but I knew about the Mandarin after some Wikipedia "research" and I was REALLY psyched to see such a bad-ass villain to be on screen! I admit that I really, really didn't see it coming (this is the plus for me) But then again, I hate it that a supervillain that can really beat the crap out of Iron Man is just used as a front for the "real" villain (this is the minus).

But what's done is done, can't do anything about it. Just gotta live with it, i guess.

p.s. The movie was good. Period.

May 4 - 08:41 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Well paced and Robert Downey was great in it.

Poor use of the Iron Man armor. Terrible villain.

May 4 - 04:29 PM

Cecilia B.

Cecilia Björklund

I really can't see how Iron Man 3 was so bad!
I loved it! I thought it was awesome and contained everything I wanted it to contain if not more.

The Mandarin twist was genious! Suddenly this powerful frightening bad guy wheren't what you thought. Suddenly the Mandarin was a mystery once more.
I laughed at their brilliant way to fool us all! It was a total surprise and I love surprises!

Iron Man 3 was Brilliant!

May 4 - 08:27 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Brilliant? That's a strong word. Mediocre at best.

May 4 - 04:30 PM

Joe Xiong

Joe Xiong

The twist was completely understandable if you take a minute to think about it. If you recall, Killian says something along the lines of the world wanting to pin the blame on a Bin Laden or Sadaam type character because they are international enemy #1 all the time and every time. What better way to cover your traces than using a person everyone so greatly hates as your puppet? The Mandarin is a moniker rather than an individual character, similar to Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins but Marvel handles it the way they know best, with comedy and humor. Yes it is over-the-top, but it's this dry comedy that has really become Marvel Studios trademark that separates it from other superhero films.

May 4 - 08:26 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

It's the Marvel U.

The world is used to alien invasions and giant flying robots.

May 4 - 04:30 PM

Joe Xiong

Joe Xiong

It's the Marvel 'Cinematic' Universe, not the Marvel 'Comic' Universe.. the 'Cinematic' universe has seen just one Alien invasion, it's not a day to day thing

May 5 - 08:26 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

It might work if it were not a false premise. The world pinned blame on Bin Laden because Bin Laden did bad things. The world blamed Hussein for the bad things he did. America didn't make up those guys, or just pin all sorts of bad things on them. They were really real bad guys who really acted to attack and harm people and America.

May 5 - 02:16 AM

Joe Xiong

Joe Xiong

uh yeah bro, my point exactly, people believed it was the Mandarin who was responsible for the bombings making him the perfect front for Killian.

May 5 - 08:22 PM

Kenny Jones

Kenny Jones

I am really disappointed in this movie. The Mandarin, the Lava people, and to top it all off Tony got the shrapnel from his chest removed like it was an out patient procedure. The entire desperate search in Iron Man 2 for a replacement element to save his life is now ridiculous. IT was like, "I know I could go get a 20 minute procedure to save my life and keep me from having to drink this black crap and dying, but I have more important things to do like blowing up watermelons at my birthday party." And please don't use the argument that he needed it in his chest to power the suits. Roady didn't need an arc reactor in his chest to power the War Machine, and neither did Obidiah to power the Iron Monger. I am sick of all these fluff pieces people are writing praising this movie. It is sad there are so many lemmings in the world. I will admit the first half of the movie was pretty beast, but the twist/abomination destroyed the rest of it for me. The actors were amazing so I can find no fault with them. But the writer and Director....seriously disappointed. My only hope is that in Avengers 2, we find out that the entire Iron Man 3 story was in fact a horrible dream brought on by Tony eating bad shawarma before bed.

May 4 - 07:49 AM

Craig Walker

Craig Walker

Lol. Awesome.

May 4 - 08:23 AM

Levi Johnson

Levi Johnson

Totally agree Kenny. Super disappointed.

May 4 - 12:27 PM

Brad Gladfelter

Brad Gladfelter

Total agreement...many people are falling for the false marketing right now...Rotten Tomatoes is one of the sites contriving itself based on Marvel approval...getting very disappointed in the ethics of this website...really, they hyped it at 88% for the premiere to get people to go...watch the percentages drop people as others see through the smoke..they are pulling a Mandarin with this movie, lol

May 4 - 01:23 PM

Michael Indo

Michael Indo

Well Rotten Tomatoes is owned by Warner Brother which also owns DC comics. So according to your logic, Rotten Tomatoes is funneling money to the enemy.

May 4 - 07:51 PM

Jackson Schaecher

Jackson Schaecher

RT doesn't write the reviews. They take the total positive and the total negative and give you the overall percentage of positive reviews by "worthy" critics. Problem is these damn critics all band together on stuff like this. For instance, I LOVED John Carter. It is in every single way a better film than this is, yet when the negativity poured in they all wrote the same shit and piled garbage on it. Critics are a pain in the ass. I have a feeling Ebert is rolling in his grave looking at these reviews.

May 6 - 08:44 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

They changed Iron Man's foundation to deliver their hate America first message.

May 5 - 02:17 AM

Craig Walker

Craig Walker

Everything about the movie was weak. Weak Tony. Fake villain. Real villain was was boring/stupid [firebreathing?] Pepper is a superhero. Rhodes is Tarzan.

Suck suck suck.

May 4 - 07:12 AM

hollis m.

hollis mills

stfu bish

May 4 - 02:57 PM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

worse than part 2. hollis mills all butt hurt. like people have to like this movie because he/she did...LAME

May 4 - 09:34 PM

Michael Young

Michael Young

I don't care what you say. To me...

It was better than "Iron Man".
It was better than "The Incredible Hulk".
It was better than "Iron Man 2".
It was better than "Thor".
It was better than "Captain America: The First Avenger".
And it was just as good, if not better than "The Avengers".

May 4 - 04:37 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I'm glad you enjoyed Iron Man 3!

It was better than Iron Man 2, but IM2 was really bad. So that doesn't mean much to me.

May 4 - 04:47 AM

Brad Repka

Brad Repka

I don't think you we're watching IM3. It was great until the twist. Just upsetting. It might barely be better than the Incredible Hulk. Enough said

May 4 - 12:16 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

umm i havent seen it yet, but based on the reviews it was not better than the 1st iron man or the avengers just sayin

May 4 - 02:58 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Bottom line...a superhero movies demands a great villain!!!

Not The Mandarin Plot Twist!!

May 4 - 04:30 AM

Alistair

Garet Cahoon

With how hardcore and unpredictable the Mandarin was, and with Kingsley's handling of it, the Mandarin was looking to be almsot (but not quite) as badass as the Joker in TDK. I was so excited....then that. Why? Never even read comic books but I was like: "The Mandarin is badass and I'm sure he is a super good fighter but just hides it, and he and Iron Man are going to throw down and it's going to be epic. It was not so. Why did they do this??

May 4 - 01:28 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Felt exactly the same way! It was so interesting and the Mandarin was so compelling...then they pulled The Mandarin Plot Twist!! The movie completely falls apart. Inexcusable.

May 4 - 04:15 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

Yea. for me the best part was when the show him murdering the oil accountant just because he can and which made the reveal much worse for me in the long run

May 4 - 08:52 AM

Brad Repka

Brad Repka

I totally agree the acct scene was the pinnacle moment.....then we resulted to cheap humor and bad plot choices. I was utterly disappointed

May 4 - 12:19 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

When I was a kid I read the comics and watched the old Iron Man shows. I was looking forward to Iron Man fighting Mandarin. Instead there were empty suits saving the day, which in Hollyweird somehow shows Tony and not the suits are Iron Man, and Pepper defeating the real villain.

May 5 - 02:20 AM

Oricha Aliyu

Oricha Aliyu

Inexcusable! I watched the trailer and I expected the Mandarin. I went for the midnight premiere and I expected the Mandarin. I paid MONEY for the Mandarin to fight Iron Man - I got some kind of deranged HOT MAN and his HOT CREW - NO MANDARIN, NO TEN RINGS. I agree it started off so well but that supposed plot twist INFURIATED me till the end of the movie! The jokes went Limbo and it turned the whole movie into BAD JOKE right after and I wasn't laughing. I went with 3 of my buddies, who were just as pissed off as I was and this was a SCAM as far as we were concerned - I don't mind a plot twist, but the way this was executed was deplorable. Nobody should tell me Guy Pearce was the Mandarin! That assumption is ridiculous, it's like saying the Spiderman franchise has Venom but he has water powers and had a guy pose like the Venom we all know half way through the movie only to find out it's a professional wrestler who needed the gig to pay off his taxes. THIS MOVIE WAS TERRIBLE! How in the hell is Iron Man's suit unable to handle heat!? He uses it to dive into molten magma for crying out loud! I can't even believe Marvel studios handled this! What were we complaining about Sony and FOX for!? They are just as bad them or even worse. Now I'm quite apprehensive for the other Marvel movies - Thor and Cap; I'll wait it out for DVDs probably.

May 3 - 11:57 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I think I might pass, as well!! You're so right.

False advertising. Big time. Not even a plot twist. Blatant false advertising.

Just awful!!!

May 4 - 04:17 AM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

That's why Hollyweird licenses properties like Iron Man. They know they can draw a large audience and then deliver their warped messages and lame stories.

May 5 - 02:20 AM

Eric McCudden

Eric McCudden

The repeated Rush libaugh comments make you look like a moron.

May 5 - 12:29 PM

Mike Morello

Mike Morello

Truly god awful start to finish just don't go see it!

May 3 - 11:13 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

So terrible!! No more money to Iron Man 3!!

May 4 - 04:17 AM

Mike Morello

Mike Morello

Does Hollywood do this to piss us off intentionally because I can't figure out how anyone would have written n then agreed that was a good plot twist. Do they seriously just put ideas in a hat n then pick them out at random.

May 3 - 10:59 PM

Mike Morello

Mike Morello

Just awful truly awful come on u had Ben Kingsley for darn sakes

May 3 - 10:48 PM

Michael Indo

Michael Indo

Umm... Guy Pierce was the Mandarin. I thought that bit was explained in the movie? Sure he wasn't Asian and didn't have ten magic rings like in the comics, but hey Bane was a huge departure from the comics but people loved the shit outta that movie.

May 3 - 10:47 PM

Mickey Moses

Mickey Moses

He was not the mandarian, he is from the comic the movie was set from "Extremis". The Mandarian was a smoke screen and thank god it was.

May 4 - 02:18 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

It's true one could argue Guy Pearce was Mandarin...except he wasn't Mandarin...but he was...but he wasn't. But, he wanted to sell Extremis. But he wanted to make terror. But he wanted to kill Tony Stark. But he wanted Tony Stark's armor. But he wanted The President. But he wanted to be Mandarin....I am lost.

He was Killian. Not Mandarin. A much less interesting character. Bad villain.

May 4 - 04:19 AM

Keith Gibson

Keith Gibson

This was a little different than Bane. This was equal to if Bane didn't end up being the guy in the suit but some normal guy behind the scenes of all the Bane mayhem... MUCH MUCH different than TDKR. I'll admit, I thought this movie was okay, it was really great up until this blindfold was removed. Then, it was just okay to me.

May 4 - 09:30 AM

Brad Repka

Brad Repka

Because it was a good movie and had a decent twist
This IM3 was just crap

May 4 - 12:22 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

Batman still fought Bane. Bane broke Batman's back. We got all the good Bane stuff before the twist.

May 5 - 02:22 AM

Mike Morello

Mike Morello

I barely stayed awake to get to the point of actually seeing The Mandarin on screen only to find out Guy Pearce with some tattoos was "the real Mandarin" what a bore FU Mickey Mouse

May 3 - 10:46 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I was mad. Lost interest. I barely noticed the film had lousy Iron Man armor until hours afterwards.

May 4 - 04:20 AM

Bert Perkins

Bert Perkins

I cannot believe how silly and moronic it got after that reveal. Fuck you, Fuck you, Fuck you Iron Man 3.

May 3 - 10:32 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

No kidding! Fuck Iron Man 3!! Fuck The Mandarin Plot Twist!!!

May 4 - 04:23 AM

s e.

s e

i read some of this yesterday and stopped because I didn't want to ruin it for myself. I was WRONG, I should of read more. This movie BLOWS...sure the 1st half is ok, but my god, I can't think of a worse way to ruin a comic character. Trying to decide what is more of a let down...3rd spider man, the Wolverine or this

May 3 - 08:49 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

I LOVED it. I think it was one of those things that Marvel comics fans will hate but normal people will love. I don't really give a shit about Marvel (I'm a DC guy), so this twist was incredibly funny. The theatre I watched it in was packed and people were laughing at the Mandarin thing like they were watching a comedy. It was awesome.

The only thing that sucks, though, is that I figured it out as soon as I saw him exit the car. They shouldn't have kept that scene in, it gives the game away.

May 3 - 08:47 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Yeah, I think you'll either love or hate The Mandarin Plot Twist!!

I hated it. For sure!

May 4 - 04:23 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

You probably wouldnt say the same thing if they did that with the joker though since your a dc guy

May 4 - 09:15 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

If they executed it as well as they did here, I'd have loved it, too. For example, I'd love to see a Red Son adaptation.

May 5 - 04:51 PM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

I thought it was awesome. I'm rarely surprised in movies, and this caught my totally off guard. Awesome! And, even if you didn't like it, you ought to applaud the risk they took.

May 4 - 10:22 AM

Jeffrey Gordon

Jeffrey Gordon

The plot twist was alright. But the whole movie was just messy. I mean, thank god the kid wasnt too annoying like most kids in movies are... but, he shouldnt have been in there, unless, he comes back in another movie as a bad ass character (eye roll) The action scenes were great especially the last one. I knew pepper was going to live when she fell because I guessed she would be enhanced, but when she kicked Guy Pearces ass, it was quite lame. Since when did she learn karate? Also, I didnt quite like the way Killian kept coming back. It was repetitive. All in all, I left the theater disappointed.

May 4 - 12:02 PM

Jeffrey Gordon

Jeffrey Gordon

The plot twist was alright. But the whole movie was just messy. I mean, thank god the kid wasnt too annoying like most kids in movies are... but, he shouldnt have been in there, unless, he comes back in another movie as a bad ass character (eye roll) The action scenes were great especially the last one. I knew pepper was going to live when she fell because I guessed she would be enhanced, but when she kicked Guy Pearces ass, it was quite lame. Since when did she learn karate? Also, I didnt quite like the way Killian kept coming back. It was repetitive. All in all, I left the theater disappointed.

May 4 - 12:02 PM

James Corriveau

James Corriveau

Don't compare TDK twist to this one. Bane was bad ass to the very end. This movie ruined a great comic book villain for a cheap laugh. Shame on them.

May 3 - 06:57 PM

Hellos

Nick M.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant approach from a non-fan perspective as he turned the audiences head up-side down in a clever way. As a fan wanting the Mandarin to beat Tony Stark senseless it was a bit of a disappointed, but I'm glad the film kept me on my toes.

May 3 - 06:21 PM

John Tyler

J *

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

May 3 - 06:26 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I thought it was lazy. Uninspired.

A superhero film needs a great villain.

May 4 - 04:24 AM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

I thought it was clever. Lazy and uninspired to avoid the typical good guy versus bad guy scenario by adding a bit of humor ... and ultimately still delivering the badass supervillain tough guy, anyway? Gotta disagree.

May 4 - 10:24 AM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

If you think liberal fake idealism is clever, then yes it was clever. "Hey America, your leaders create terrorists to rally the people."

May 5 - 02:23 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

...they don't? Tell that to Saddam (who had zero involvement in 911) and Bin Laden (who was a CIA operative).

May 5 - 04:53 PM

Rhode Rian Gadia

Rhode Rian Gadia

This movie still shit loads better than The mess of The Dark Knight Rises. Now that movie was loud, obnoxious and excessive (can't even hear wtf they are saying)

May 3 - 05:23 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Better paced.

Bane way better than Mandarin. Bane was also a let down.

May 4 - 04:25 AM

Glenn Forsyth

Glenn Forsyth

They have by far the best of the Marvel super heroes in movie number 3 and he finally comes up against his most challenging enemy and they turn that enemy into a clown? It would be like Heath Ledger's Joker revealing himself as Ronald McDonald, asking for forgiveness and offering Batman a happy meal voucher! In the Mandarin they had a villain who was Stark's equal in technology, intellect and ability, a man with mystical powers, someone delusional enough to believe he was related to Genghis Khan yet Hollywood managed to ignore this source material and turn the character into a Sacha Baron Cohen parody. I hope there isn't a 4th film, i doubt there will be.

May 3 - 04:59 PM

Rhode Rian Gadia

Rhode Rian Gadia

Killian is the Mandarin guys. Seriously, the actor was just a front but in the end he was the mandarin. Yes, he isn't Chinese but he fought Iron Man and almost got him beat.

May 3 - 05:21 PM

Liz P.

Liz P

Actually read a comic and see who the Mandarin is and what the Mandarin does. He can say he was the Mandarin all he wants too, does not make it so. It was total garbage and a disgrace. Mandarin is like Joker to Batman or Lex Luthor to Superman.

May 3 - 09:54 PM

Michael Indo

Michael Indo

Bane was nothing like Bane in the comics and people loved that movie

May 3 - 10:59 PM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

This isn't a comic book. It's a movie loosely based on characters from the comic books. I thought this was brilliant. The true Mandarin was other guy, anyway, and he was pretty friggin' tough.

May 4 - 10:27 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Glenn, exactly! Why not make General Zod a sock puppet! What a lousy plot twist!!

Rhode, he wasn't Mandarin. He was Killian. There was no Mandarin. Only there was. Only there wasn't. Only...ahhh!

May 4 - 04:27 AM

Matt Lange

Matt Lange

Andrew, you have so much time on your hands. haha Killian was definitely the Mandarin the entire time. I enjoyed the movie. Lighten up, man. I love comic books... I love movies.. And I enjoyed Iron Man 3. Marvel made this, so the Mandarin is whoever they wanted him to be. It is their character, and they can change it all they want. Perhaps it wasn't the iteration you wanted or were expecting. I understand that, man. I enjoyed the movie personally... And I am willing to let Marvel deal with their characters however they see fit.

May 4 - 08:41 AM

Glenn Forsyth

Glenn Forsyth

Under that premise i fully expect to see Sacha Baron Cohen turn up in the next Iron Man film as Admiral General Aladeen! Yep, Stark will be worried about that prospect !

May 4 - 08:37 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Matt, it's true...lol...I trolled this site shamefully.

Iron Man 3 was still ruined by The Mandarin Plot Twist!!

May 7 - 03:42 AM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

Killian was the Mandarin in the sense that he was performing the terrorist acts and leading the organization. He uses exposition to explain why he has the actor take the blame, so it's not really that complicated. It's just different than the comics. That seems to be the real complaint underlaying this thread.
I thought it was a huge risk for them to take. Kudos to filmmakers willing to take risks. I thought it worked rather well.

May 4 - 10:29 AM

Yolando P.

Yolando P

I felt a sense of Batman and Robin when Tony encountered the twist...I was laughing at how bad that was...what a complete waste!

May 3 - 04:43 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

A complete waste!!!!!!!!! Atrocious!!!!!!! Mr. Freeze was telling everyone to Chill Out. That's how bad it was.

May 4 - 04:28 AM

Matthew Benkarski

Matthew Benkarski

This movie left me with a bad taste in my mouth and has left me to wonder if I will ever watch a movie by Marvel again.

May 3 - 04:22 PM

s e.

s e

i agree a 100% I look at the Thor and think...how much are the bull****ing us about that movie.

May 3 - 08:56 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Me too!! Both of you!! I don't trust Marvel Movies right now. @ all.

May 4 - 04:28 AM

Herson Cruz

Herson Cruz

I can understand the fanboys reaction to this, but I thought it was a good, and a bit funny, twist. This twist only reminded how much a fraud Osama Bin Laden was. You know, a creation of the CIA, US gov't and the media to install fear into the public.

May 3 - 03:16 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I feel that, but in Iron Man 3 Mandarin was the 'Bin Laden' not of the USA or a powerful government, but rather the sci-terror op AIM. So the analogy was half-baked. To me.

May 3 - 03:22 PM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

Agreed. I thought it was hilarious and it worked well.

May 4 - 10:31 AM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

Herson, you proved my point. People who think America created Islamic terror, which pre-dates America, loved the plot twist. "Golly gee whiz" whine the sissy liberals who have panic attacks when they think of 9/11 "that's so true if only we could disband the military!"

May 5 - 02:26 AM

Jackson Schaecher

Jackson Schaecher

Tell the families who lost loved ones on 9/11 that Bin Laden was a creation of the CIA. Idiot.

May 6 - 08:51 PM

Ken Brough

Ken Brough

Since there was no real story and they just threw a bunch stiff into a bag and shook it up, the fact this is such a letdown should not be a surprise. I hate it when they totally sell out and decide not to bother writing an interesting story.

May 3 - 02:38 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I agree!! Also of note is how bad the Iron Man armor was. No new suits. Nothing. War Machine barely did anything. Would it have been that hard to have a giant Iron Man machine at the end, or something??

May 3 - 03:23 PM

Michael Indo

Michael Indo

Wait... so did you miss the 42 brand new suits in the film's epic climax?

May 3 - 11:01 PM

Levi Johnson

Levi Johnson

That he blew up just to make his girlfriend happy? And he barely used any of those suits himself.

May 4 - 12:42 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

You mean the empty suits saving the day that somehow proved Iron Man is more than the suit?

May 5 - 02:26 AM

Liz P.

Liz P

Totally agree.

May 3 - 09:54 PM

Grant Kanigan

Grant Kanigan

It was an excellent twist and some ingenious self aware writing. If you don't like it you really need to get over yourself.

May 3 - 01:52 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Ingenious? Excellent? What's your idea of bad plot twist?

Genius plot twist is the end of Usual Suspects. Or Saw. Or, for that matter, Maggie shooting Mr. Burns.

May 3 - 03:25 PM

Kindra Pring Eubanks

Kindra Pring Eubanks

Please tell me why I should respect the opinion of a man who would give Paranormal Activity 3 four stars and the original Dracula 2...

May 4 - 11:15 PM

Jackson Schaecher

Jackson Schaecher

I hated the twist... but this is funny. Kudos.

May 6 - 08:52 PM

Liz P.

Liz P

The so called twist was utter garbage. Nothing genius about it. It would be like Superman breaking into Luthor Corp and finding a crayon or some garbage. It was horrible writing.

May 3 - 09:55 PM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

I agree, Grant, I thought it was awesome.

May 4 - 10:31 AM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

See folks, the people who liked the twist in reality liked the message. It's self aware. It's true. It needed to be said about America and 9/11. We created bin Laden. Even though America never supported bin Laden and even though Islamic terrorists attacked America the second it became a nation, we created them.

May 5 - 02:28 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

I am glad I am not the only one who didn't like X-Men 3.

May 3 - 11:18 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

X-Men 3 was an abomination. Much worse than Iron Man 3. Yet...the Mandarin Plot Twist was as bad as all of X-Men 3. So...it's weird like that.

May 3 - 12:59 PM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

The movie completely wasted Cyclops and Jean Grey. The only good thing I can think of the movie is Ellen Page as Kitty Pryde. I am glad she is returning.

May 3 - 04:40 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

Imagine if Magneto had turned out to be an actor with a giant electro magnet. Some guy who could shoot icicles out of his fingers said "I am the real magneto!"

May 5 - 02:29 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

check out the reviews and you will find out you arent the only who didnt like x3.

May 4 - 09:16 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Well that's true. But the user review of it is too high. How is that movie's user review not rotten but Spider-Man 3 is. would take watching sp3 over X3 anytime.

May 4 - 01:33 PM

Erick Weber

Erick Weber

It's appalling really, to quote from my review: "Black's single worst misdeed is the neutering of The Mandarin. The maniacal megalomaniac takes a jarring - disastrous - turn from menacing to amusing. The character's castration is straight-up deplorable."

May 3 - 11:10 AM

Erick Weber

Erick Weber

It's appalling really, to quote from my review: "Black's single worst misdeed is the neutering of The Mandarin. The maniacal megalomaniac takes a jarring - disastrous - turn from menacing to amusing. The character's castration is straight-up deplorable.

Erick Weber

Erick Weber

Had to jump on here with this. It's appalling really, to quote from my review: "Black's single worst misdeed is the neutering of The Mandarin. The maniacal megalomaniac takes a jarring ? disastrous ? turn from menacing to amusing. The character's castration is straight-up deplorable.

May 3 - 11:08 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

seeing it in a few hours. If its as bad as the plot twist in The Village raisinets will be thrown

May 3 - 08:12 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

I chucked my 3D glasses.

May 3 - 03:25 PM

Jackson Schaecher

Jackson Schaecher

At least the Village had a clever plot twist. This one was a joke.

May 6 - 08:53 PM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

Im not a fanboy of the mandarin.....and that was one of the worst "twist" ever. So bad. They take away his rings which is already bad enough.....and then wait iron mans main villian a dumb snnoying actor who was completly unfunny and just stupid. My bro, not a comic fan or mandarin fan....he just likes hero movies couldnt believe the big "twist". He was like is this for real right now? Like is this actually happening? I couldnt believe i had to say yes it is. So awful. That "twist", or moderinixation as some are calling it is no twist or modernization,its a joke. Who ever thought and wrote that in a script should feel ashamed.

May 3 - 08:11 AM

Bret Sheeley

Bret Sheeley

*spoilers*

It's a shame, and it was the movie's only major misfire. However Killian's character couldn't had been the real Mandarin either, since I highly doubt he was the one behind the terrorist organization seen in the first movie. So that means that Pearce and Kingsley were really only impersonating a real terrorist who existed elsewhere. I can only hope that the real Mandarin comes forward in a later movie to be shown in full glory.

Still, it was a damn good movie.

May 3 - 11:14 AM

Liz P.

Liz P

This was so not a good movie and the so called twist was not the only thing utterly awful about the movie. It has so many plot holes and went off in way too many directions without fully explaining what was going on. It was a mash of whatever the idiot writer decided to pen. Reduced Tony to a total fool and totally went against the other movies.

May 3 - 09:58 PM

Matt Lange

Matt Lange

You are entitled to your own opinion. I respect that, but Shane Black is not an "idiot writer." He is brilliant. Have you seen any of his other movies? I would highly recommend them.

May 4 - 08:44 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Brandan, exactly! I was especially bugged that the film was going so well...then...all of a sudden it dropped to mediocre and never recovered. The Mandarin Plot Twist took a seriously entertaining film and made it a farce. In a split second. Which it never recovered from. It just got worse.

Bret, Killian WAS Mandarin. But Mandarin was no one. But Killian was Mandarin. But...oh...heck.

May 3 - 03:29 PM

Art Ramos

Art Ramos

It may be a twist on a twist. The Mandarin could be doing a Verbal Kint/Keyser Sose on us. He manipulates Killian to hire the "Actor" (i.e. himself) knowing what Killian is up to. He gets to put Tony Stark and Rhodey to the test. The authorities release him because they think he is a blithering idiot. The Mandarin comes back in IM4 for another showdown! The joke is going to be on all the naysayers!!!

May 3 - 07:13 AM

Phillip P.

Phil Payton

Sounds good haha. To be honest i'm happy with the way he is now. I can understand comic book fans being disappointed. But it's just a different iteration of the character.

I don't think you can really call it a terrible twist in general just to the people who expected the original Mandarin. There are far worst twists than this.

May 3 - 08:39 AM

Branden M.

Branden Mata

People like you arent getting it. Its not a new version of the charcater...hes not even a villian. Iron mans main villian....is not even a villian. His biggest foe ever...let that sink in. And no lets add in they made him an annoying actor with an annoying accent. That twist scene was laughably bad. Im not a huge comic book fan nor is my bro and we both couldnt believe what was happening on screen during this "twist". Very dissapointing start off to phase two, its the worst film bu marvel studios thus far. And its sad cause up until that twist it was a pretty good film.

May 3 - 09:05 AM

Matt Festle

Matt Festle

i couldn't agree with you more. i actually mouthed the words "are you fucking kidding me?". i feel so betrayed by shane black, and whoever let this pass-and then to go on and market is the way they did. as a fan of the comics, of iron man, of mandarin (one of the coolest villains I've been fortunate enough to read)..I am beyond disappointed with this film.

May 3 - 10:37 AM

Jason Edwards

Jason Edwards

Seriously, this was a slap in the face to anyone who knows who the mandarin is. Its like lifting off darth vaders helmet to find an ewok in there. I kept hoping that he was a stand in and the real mandarin would appear somehow. They could have totally used the fact that aliens arrived in Avengers to explain why he had the rings. And I don't ever remember Extremis having anything to do with being hot or breathing fire...

May 3 - 12:55 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Jason, Matt, Branden...so true! Just a disgraceful slap in the face.

May 3 - 03:33 PM

John Festle

John Festle

I think that'll be pulling at straws the whole the real Mandarin will be in iron man 4. They F'd up plain and simple

May 3 - 01:42 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

They did. They F'd up. Plain and simple!!! Robert was doing so well in the role of Stark, too. They really botched the work he put into making that character come alive. Gave him an awful movie.

May 3 - 03:32 PM

Liz P.

Liz P

Totally agree and did anyone else notice how bad even the acting was. A majority of the lines looked forced as if they did not even want to say them.

May 3 - 10:00 PM

Kindra Pring Eubanks

Kindra Pring Eubanks

Can't have f'd up too badly since they've already made $300 million internationally...

May 4 - 11:17 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

They make money selling Iron Man. In reality they made a movie about something else. They slapped the name Iron Man on it, and slapped the same character names on it, to draw Iron Man fans. If Hollyweird said "hey, we made a movie about a guy who has panic attacks when he thinks of violence, and the villain is just like terrorists in the real world - the evil Americans create them" would anyone have gone to see it?

May 5 - 02:37 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

since i had not read any of the comics it was fine.......the mandarin was very funny

May 3 - 06:10 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

You have no idea what you missed, Sam! Mandarin is one of the great comic villains.

May 3 - 06:51 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Agreed.http://comics.ign.com/top-100-villains/81.html

May 3 - 10:56 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

actually andrew i did not see it as an adaption of a comic book.....but still yeah..it was a little stupid.....i was hurt a little too after seeing all clips and trailers but maybe not as much as comic book fans

May 6 - 07:09 AM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

I thought it was a great twist. I don't care if the badass villain from the comics didn't materialize. The movies have a life of their own.

May 4 - 10:36 AM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

I've got it. The Mandarin was funny because, in reality, he is the Joker. In IM4 he reveals himself as the Joker and Batman and Ironman team up to stop him.

May 5 - 02:31 AM

Tj Herrington

Tj Herrington

You're pretty funny. Do post more.

May 5 - 10:07 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

that would be awesome

May 6 - 07:07 AM

Sleshie

Sleshie Man

you do realise that people don't care about it, and that it is actually quite funny the twist?
fanboys of the manderin, get over the twist

May 3 - 06:08 AM

Tony Stark

sam varma

yeah

May 3 - 06:10 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

It's not funny. It's juvenile. And disrespectful to fans of the franchise. But I am sincerely glad you enjoyed the film.

May 3 - 06:56 AM

James Parker

James Parker

CALM DOWN! If you didn't think something like this was gonna happen you weren't thinking. Did you really think they were gonna have The Mandarin be 'The Mandarin'. With his 10 rings he can: Shoot Ice, shoot fire, shoot thunder, create mental illusions, cause mental paralysis, cause a burst of light, create a gravity field, levitate/fly, create an area of darkness using Darkforce, shoot a beam of energy that disintegrates anything it touches, create a vortex, shoot a concussive blast beam, shoot sonic beams, rearrange matter, turn the surrounding air into poison, solidify the surrounding air to which he can turn you to stone, and also shape-shift.
Yeah, let's put THAT into a movie. I guess you also think that when *SPOILERS* Thanos makes his appearance, he is gonna have all his powers? Because, you know, there should be a villain who can snap his fingers and kill half of the human population in a movie.

May 3 - 10:23 AM

Matt Festle

Matt Festle

yeah, and thor happened. yor argument is invalid. and the dark world? that's going to be exploring other realms too. you're an idiot. if you're seeing a comic book film, expect it to be over the top. especially when misleading advertisements make it to out to be iron man's all time biggest foe in a film-to be the ass of all jokes in the film. if we actually had the mandarin, we'd be able to have a real challenge for tony. oh wait, kilian was enough of a villai, pepper had to kill him. dude, don't tell other people to calm down. you have 50 years of good source material that they threw out the window. that's unforgivable, and the fact you're standing up for it makes it sound like you just wanted to love this movie no matter what. again, look at other marvel movies and tell me mandarin is too far fetched. i'll say it again. THOR. here's another hulk. if you're complaining that the mandarin isn't realistic enough for a movie, why aren't you complaining about the powers of most heroes and villains who already exist. thor is a god. a god.

May 3 - 10:43 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

I honestly don't see anything wrong with that at all...but that's just me.

May 3 - 10:59 AM

James Parker

James Parker

Your missing my point here, or maybe i have no point since I'm an idiot. At no point did I say that giving the Mandarin all of his abilities would make him unrealistic. I'm stating that the moment i saw Thanos, I was expecting him to be scaled WAY DOWN for obvious reasons. And the same went for The Mandarin. Your "50 years of good source material out the window" statement leads me to believe that you probably haven't liked many of the Marvel movies then, because they have not and WILL not stick to the source material. If you ant them to stick to the material, then when Thor hit iron man in the chest with mjolnir he would have died.
You obviously didn't get my point cause you are comparing Hulk to The Mandarin. But what am i saying, I'm an idiot!

May 3 - 11:01 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Wait? You talking to me? Because I don't remember comparing Hulk to Mandarin. Anyway I am not hating on the movie I just think a proper portrayal of the Mandarin and his rings could have been possible personally.

James Parker

James Parker

@josh haha no, somebody posted a comment and then deleted it. So now my comment makes ZERO SENSE

May 3 - 11:21 AM

John Weber

John Weber

In a film continuity that is about to introduce characters like Rocket Raccoon and Groot from the "Guardians of the Galaxy" I'd say the classic version of Mandarin looks like cinema verite by comparison. And honestly from where I'm standing, it wouldn't be more ridiculous than a lot of the Asgard material in Thor. (If they can sell people on the Bifrost Rainbow Bridge, Marvel can probably sell the audience on anything) And given that space related Marvel-mythology/aliens played a big part in Avengers, and his rings in the comics are alien in origin, it probably would have been the perfect time if they wanted to do a more traditional Mandarin. As far as sticking to the source material, though it would be a lie to say they've been 100% faithful to the source material in their previous films, this is definitely one of the more far off ones. Though who knows, maybe I'm just spouting nonsense.

May 3 - 11:40 AM

John Weber

John Weber

In a film continuity that is about to introduce characters like Rocket Raccoon and Groot from the "Guardians of the Galaxy" I'd say the classic version of Mandarin looks like cinema verite by comparison. And honestly from where I'm standing, it wouldn't be more ridiculous than a lot of the Asgard material in Thor. (If they can sell people on the Bifrost Rainbow Bridge, Marvel can probably sell the audience on anything) And given that space related Marvel-mythology/aliens played a big part in Avengers, and his rings in the comics are alien in origin, it probably would have been the perfect time if they wanted to do a more traditional Mandarin. As far as sticking to the source material, though it would be a lie to say they've been 100% faithful to the source material in their previous films, this is definitely one of the more far off ones.

May 3 - 11:43 AM

Jason Edwards

Jason Edwards

Scaled down???? Dude they scaled him down to a junkie actor!

May 3 - 12:57 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

James, I loved how they were portraying Mandarin...until the Mandarin Plot Twist.

He was a cool character. Mysterious and holding the USA in peril.

All of a sudden he's a clown and Guy Pearce is doing a bad Guy Pearce impression and Iron Man has no cool armor and no real relation to his nemesis.

May 3 - 03:40 PM

Bobby  B.

Bobby Bermea

I care. I'm not a "fanboy". I thought it was stupid, thoughtless and reckless. I didn't think what they put in the place of the Mandarin was so much more interesting.

May 3 - 07:54 AM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Stupid, reckless, thoughtless. Perfect words!!

May 3 - 03:42 PM

Jason Edwards

Jason Edwards

Fanboys are the original reason these movies got so hyped in the first place.

May 3 - 12:58 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Also, these are American Mythological stories, and they reflect our culture. So disgraceful for the Hollywood-bots to train wreck us.

May 3 - 03:38 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

Bingo! Hollyweird changed the story just like Hollyweird and those they support are trying to change our culture. They turned Tony into a sissy who has panic attacks when he thinks of 9/11, er I mean the alien attack on NY. They turned the Mandarin into a stand in for bin Laden who, in their thoughts, America created. If only America stopped being violent, there would be no more war in the world.

May 5 - 02:34 AM

scifimark

scifi mark

This would be like if the joker in reality just performed at kids birthday parties and made balloon animals. Im not a comic book person but holy crap was that a bad twist. The only way this works is if mandarin is someone else in reality as others have said

May 3 - 01:16 PM

Andrew Kafoury

Andrew Kafoury

Why not make General Zod a sock puppet!?!?

May 3 - 03:38 PM

Frank Cabanski

Frank Cabanski

Balloon animals that explode. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA>...no just kidding they don't explode. But the real Joker is the guy who can fire icicles from his fingernails.

May 5 - 02:35 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile