Critics Consensus: Iron Man 3 is Certified Fresh

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got only one new wide release in theaters, but it's a biggie: the hotly-anticipated Iron Man 3, starring Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow. What do the critics have to say? Back to Article

Comments

Valmordas

Val Mordas

You know and I know a lot of these critics are paid to say nice things about bad movies. So I'd be hesitant to go see something based on what a critic thought of it... unless it was a smaller scale film they had no vested interest in.

May 2 - 06:34 PM

Chris Chapin

Chris Chapin

Watched a pre-screening of this, and while I liked it cause i'm a huge action movie and marvel fan...it really let me down. It was much better than part 2, and the final fight scene is pretty intense, but it wasn't near the quality of film the original was.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10

May 2 - 06:39 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I think the first film succeeded because it felt new and fresh with Downey as a superhero playboy. Everything besides Downey and his good chemistry with Gwyneth Paltrow is pretty by the numbers for superhero flicks in it.

May 2 - 09:09 PM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

I'm seeing it no matter what, but RT jumped the gun with their consensus that it was arguably the best marvel film and behold they had to change it come now, just saying maybe they should wait until the day before release or when most of the reviews have come in to classify it.

May 2 - 06:41 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I don't even really care to defend this film. I'm just pointing out that this is how the "consensus" works. Recently, there was a thread praising the 80s horror schlock "Terrorvision", which has a 0% tomatometer. It's just one of those things. Don't confuse the number (quantity) with the content (quality).

May 2 - 06:46 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

@Janson: You obviously don't understand how the consensus "works."

May 2 - 06:48 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

At "ashamed director": You obviously place too much imprtance on what the RT consensus happens to be.

May 2 - 06:52 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I have wanted to see The Iceman too. Only because Michael Shannon playing a hitman cannot be at all bad.

May 2 - 06:53 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"The Missing Person" is pretty good, mostly for Shannon himself. If you're more adventurous, try his Herzog film "My Son, My Son What Have Ye Done". Wild stuff.

May 2 - 07:00 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

And it is produced by David Lynch... and I love me some Lynch.

May 5 - 06:41 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

As long as it is better than Iron Man 2 I will be content.

May 2 - 06:54 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

May 2 - 07:00 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

And it is produced by David Lynch... and I love me some Lynch.

May 5 - 06:41 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

Once again, my personal opinion and the critical consensus often do not align. However the entire point of this site is to compile the opinions of the critics into one consensus and meta-score. It's not supposed to be the "RT consensus", it's supposed to be the approximate consensus of the majority of the critics.

May 2 - 07:04 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

When I saw the first full trailer for Iron Man 3, I thought that it looked better than Iron Man 2 but not as good as Iron Man or the Avengers. I am a bit suprised at the RT meter, it's lower than I thought (I assumed it would be around 82%-85%). This is still one of my must see movies for the movie summer season. I'm personally a lot more excited for Man of Steel, which looks very promising.

May 2 - 07:08 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I hear ya. But today's Critics Consensus page very rarely changes dramatically (or they make a game of it) and those few that do (the last "Borne" film comes to mind) are not missed. If you look at the number of "Iron Man" interview clips promoted here, it just shouldn't be that surprising. The Bottom Line: is that I've never seen a film, or not seen a film, based on the Tomatometer.

May 2 - 07:10 PM

Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee

Your "bottom line" has nothing to do with what I was trying to point out. The real bottom line is that it's their JOB to assess the consensus, and the only way to properly do that is to wait for the majority of reviews to come in. End of story.

May 2 - 07:32 PM

Chris Knouf

Chris Knouf

I will have to say I was not impressed at all. Robert Downey his humor was dry. Blowing up all the mark 5 armor must mean some other actor is going to take over the part of Ironman.

May 2 - 08:02 PM

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies