Box Office Guru Wrapup: Iron Man Holds Off Strong Gatsby Debut

And both of them leave the rest of the pack in the dust.

This weekend, superhero love kept Iron Man 3 in the number one spot for a second weekend in a row while the lavish period saga The Great Gatsby overperformed in second place offering effective counter-programming. It was the first time in nearly a year that two films did over $50M in business over the same frame.

Audiences still came out in droves for Robert Downey Jr. in Iron Man 3 which fell an understandable 58% in its second frame to an estimated $72.5M holding steady at number one. That brought the amazing cume to a stunning $284.9M for Disney. The decline was not as good as the 50% of The Avengers from last year, however it was about even with the 59% of Iron Man 2 from 2010. Those sophomore weekends were $103.1M and $52M, respectively so the Mandarin pic's gross fell right in the middle. For a super hero threequel coming off a gargantuan opening weekend, it was a good hold. The average was a terrific $17,040 from 4,253 sites.

Iron Man 3 is now just days away from joining the list of All-Time Domestic Blockbusters and could be on course to finish in the neighborhood of $425M. Overseas, Iron Man brought in another hefty sum collecting an estimated $89.3M in its third round to raise the international total to $664.1M and the worldwide haul to an eye-popping $949M. Compared to Avengers which had mostly the same release pattern a year ago, the Marvel sequel now stands 6% ahead in overseas grosses but 5% behind in global sales thanks to the domestic difference. Avengers broke the billion dollar mark at the end of its third frame, but the fact that Iron Man 3 is in the same vicinity at all is nothing short of amazing since the super hero assembly went on to become the third highest-grossing blockbuster in history. Leading the way for Iron Man 3 overseas is still China with $95.3M followed by Korea's $54.1M, and the United Kingdom's $48.3M.

Opening with spectacular results in second place was the lavish 1920s-set saga The Great Gatsby with an estimated $51.1M from 3,535 theaters for a sizzling $14,460 average, beating industry expectations in the process. Based on the classic American novel, the PG-13 film starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, and Carey Mulligan played as effective female-skewing counter-programming to the male-skewing Iron Man sequel. Studio research showed that the Gatsby audience was 59% female and 69% over the age of 25. Reviews were mixed with many top critics panning it, however moviegoers came out for the brand, the starpower, and the style. Plus music from executive producer Jay Z and other current artists helped to broaden the appeal.

Michael Bay's pet project Pain & Gain followed with an estimated $5M in its third round dipping 33%. Paramount has collected $41.6M thus far.

Audiences showed that if Tyler Perry isn't writing and/or directing, they're not interested. The new comedy Peeples, which the media mogul produced, was met with empty theaters nationwide opening to only $4.9M from 2,041 locations for a dismal $2,376 average. For Perry's directorial efforts, opening weekends reach a minimum of $15M from the same level of theaters and has even reached beyond $30M on more than one occasion. The weekend estimate includes a Sunday figure that is up from Saturday as Lionsgate is hoping for a Mother's Day boost. A Meet the Parents-style flick but with a black cast instead of white, Peeples aggressively used "Tyler Perry Presents" in its marketing in an effort to tap into the filmmaker's large and loyal fan base, but ticket buyers were not fooled. Reviews were generally negative and the B- CinemaScore means word of mouth is lukewarm so don't look for legs here.

The period baseball flick 42 dipped 23% to an estimated $4.7M for Warner Bros. pushing the sum up to $84.7M. Next up was Tom Cruise's sc-fi pic Oblivion with an estimated $3.9M, down 31%, and a cume of $81.7M for Universal.

Dropping a mere 14% to an estimated $3.6M was the animated hit The Croods which has given Fox a robust $173.2M to date. Lionsgate's recent flop The Big Wedding grossed an estimated $2.5M, down 36%, for a weak $18.3M cume to date.

The Matthew McConaughey-Reese Witherspoon indie drama Mud expanded from to 854 theaters and held up well with an estimated $2.3M this weekend, up 8%. Rounding out the top ten was Disney's Oz the Great and Powerful which dropped 62% to an estimated $802,000 lifting the stellar total to $230M.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $151.2M which was down 5% from last year when The Avengers remained at number one with $103.1M; but up 19% from 2011 when Thor stayed in the top spot with $34.7M.

Follow Gitesh on Twitter!

Comments

Chase Lehocky

Chase Lehocky

Saw Iron Man 3 for the first time. It was pretty good but not the best in the series. I find it interesting that more people overseas hated the movie more then the American audience.

May 12 - 05:58 PM

Dion Johnson

Dion Johnson

Well in the Chinese version additional scenes were added, but apparently they were all pointless propaganda scenes that contributed nothing to the story and just promoted some soda. so yeah, that version got panned pretty bad.

May 13 - 12:07 AM

Karena Jhon

Karena Jhon

my neighbor's step-mother makes $67 an hour on the computer. She has been without work for 9 months but last month her pay check was $14029 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this site... WWW.FOX86.COM

May 14 - 02:58 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Wasn't expecting Gatsby to perform that well especially with the lukewarm reviews. Big statement on Leo's drawing power IMO.

May 12 - 06:29 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Glad to see Tyler Perry's new film fall flat though, not only does he produce crap films he apparently finances other people to do the same.

May 12 - 06:31 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Was expecting Gatsby to closer to 35 million, so a little shocked there. Wonder how long before the studio announces a sequel?

May 12 - 07:04 PM

Duddy112

Fuddy Duddy

I saw iron man 3 , and I must say it was much better than I thought. It was definitely better than iron man 2 that's for sure. I can't say I liked the twist ,however I must admitt it was very clever. Great Gatsby did a lot better than I thought. I underestimated it because it is a popular book so it definitely had to have a strong opening.

May 12 - 07:38 PM

Leo Monteiro

Leo Monteiro

Iron Man 3 was a huge disappointment story wise and the finale/ climax was just silly.

May 12 - 07:41 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I wouldn't say huge. It was what I suspected, more of the same and most of it lame.

May 13 - 06:30 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Glad that Gatsby's doing so well. It was a solidly enjoyable movie that has a lot going for it.

I still think that Iron Man 3 has a chance of matching Avengers in worldwide gross, but not domestic.

May 12 - 07:53 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

Thanks, old sport

May 13 - 03:14 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

lols

May 13 - 02:10 PM

Dean Wirth

Dean Wirth

made lots of money though, lame movies making a lot of money are a problem today

May 13 - 05:36 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

@Dean Did you see the film? Just a question.

May 13 - 05:46 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I'm assuming he means Iron Man 3. ha snap.

May 14 - 04:57 PM

King of the Snoots

Ryan Brown

Excited for Leo and Joel Edgerton that Gatsby did so well...despite the fact that Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald is no doubt spinning in his grave. Shame on me for giving the benefit of the doubt to Baz Lurhman and the Gatsby trailer he cut over a year ago.

May 12 - 09:59 PM

Dean Wirth

Dean Wirth

Glad Gatsby did so well I'll have to rent it when it comes to pay per view

May 13 - 05:37 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

So I saw IM3. What to say, what to say? SPOILERS BITCHES!!

1. The script was pretty good. Black has shown once again he can write witty dialogue ala Kiss Kiss BB and The Last Boyscout. But I see a problem developing. Can dialogue be too sagacious? I feel like I'm being desensitized to a lot of the dialogue and its cleverness. Thats why I think I enjoyed Thor and Cap Merica so much because they are slightly dumbed down enough to enjoy them for the ridiculousness of their premises. If everyone is witty and knows what to say at the right moment it gets a little watered down (to me at least). But this is a slight note to a positive attribute to the film.

2. The villain "twist". Loved it. It really did surprise me and I appreciate the risk they took in doing it. Plus Kingsley was actually pretty menacing as The Mandarin which made the revelation that much more hilarious.

3. Where's S.H.E.I.L.D. while all this is happening? There should have been some mention of it. This is another problem I see arising with the solo films after The Avengers. Where's the rest of the TEAM! Its a nit-pick but it was something I thought of throughout the film.

4. Pepper Potts and the child character were handled well. The kid was a good actor and worked well with Stark's personality. No eye rolling occurred which is rare for a love interest or child character.

5. Cheadle was wasted. I enjoyed the "buddy cop" part of the ending but about an hour and a half into the movie I wondered where the hell War Machine went.

6. The theme of Stark being Iron Man, not the suit, was thin at first but the more I thought about it the more it sunk in. I think its a good direction to take the character.

7. With point 6 being made, I found the rest of the plot VERY thin and in service of Stark's "antics". Is this what we want? Maybe. But eventually we're going to need something to care about beyond fun character scenarios.

8. Paltrow looks damn good for her 40s. Nice work lady.

9. The last scene was good but I was hoping for more of a preview of future events. Oh well, it was good to see Banner chillin'. HE DESERVES IT.

10. Did anyone notice the CG credits list. My girl and I laughed our asses off as the entire screen was filled with HUNDREDS of names. I don't think I've ever seen a credit role that thick.

11. The ending was good but was it exciting? Eh, not for me really. I knew Potts was going to be ok. Cheadle and Downey showed good chemistry. Guy Pearce was an adequate villain at best. But the main thing I thought during the ending...why didn't Stark utilize all these IM suits before. Why did he save them til then (aside from dramatic effect)?

In the end. IM 3 was leaps and bounds above most summer movie fare and its a welcome inclusion into the Marvel and super hero movie world.

May 12 - 10:30 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

This post summarizes my exact thoughts on IM3. Especially #8.

May 12 - 11:06 PM

Zoi Pama

Zoi Pama

I just love Iron Man 3. It may not be perfect, but it was surely entertaining. RDJ!

May 13 - 12:09 AM

Matthew Gramz

Matthew Gramz

When Tony asks Jarvis about the Iron Legion Jarvis tells Tony that enough of the rubble of his destroyed mansion was removed for him to send them. That's why he was unable to use the earlier in the film. Im surprised nobody else caught this. A lot of people complain about it.

May 13 - 04:31 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Hmm. Good point. Must have missed that.

May 13 - 01:35 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I just assumed he never met up with anything that required the Iron Man Legion. Until the end anyways. Also it seems that he understood the Ninja Rule. 1 Ninja is unstoppable, 42 are cannon Fodder. 1 Iron Man is unstopable, 42 are cannon fodder. Why are 42 Iron Men so easily destroyed when 1 can ward off an entire alien invasion? Oh my bad we were stopping the whole plot hole thing right?

May 14 - 04:59 PM

Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan

Nit picking here as well. Where was the kids accent? You're telling me Tony ends up in bum-F#(@* Tennessee and this kids had no accent what so ever? I know...small detail missed in an otherwise great movie.

May 13 - 05:10 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Tennessee isn't like Alabama or Mississippi, it's close enough to the midwest that you get lack of accent with a lot of people.

May 13 - 04:07 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

This post summarizes my exact thoughts on IM3. Especially #8.

May 12 - 11:06 PM

May 13 - 02:10 PM

Dean Wirth

Dean Wirth

May 13 - 05:36 PM

Killer Jay

Jay Catler

@Dean Did you see the film? Just a question.

May 13 - 05:46 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I'm assuming he means Iron Man 3. ha snap.

May 14 - 04:57 PM

Matthew Gramz

Matthew Gramz

May 13 - 04:31 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Hmm. Good point. Must have missed that.

May 13 - 01:35 PM

May 13 - 04:07 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

May 13 - 06:30 AM

Fred Poisson

Fred Poisson

curious to know more thoughts on Gatsby, is it worth seeing? www.radicalveganism.com

May 13 - 09:13 AM

Dave J

Dave J

They'd be crazy if they don't make an announcement for an Iron Man # 4!

May 13 - 01:28 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup