La Rose de fer (The Iron Rose) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Rose de fer (The Iron Rose) Reviews

366weirdmovies
½ February 29, 2012
Young lovers are trapped in a cemetery at night and then... nothing happens. Two characters, lots of scenery, little dialogue or action, less sense. I like many of director Jean Rollin's mildly surreal horror movies, but this one shows him at his turtle-paced, self-indulgent worst.
½ October 25, 2011
I enjoyed this movie, but I was left wishing there could be more to it, a little more extremity, I guess, maybe some blood and more sex? Overall, it's a pretty good movie, though, the plot is particularly cool, I think. The actors are fine, and the set and everything is creepy and very atmospheric like Rollin's films usually are.
½ June 21, 2007
Not quite what I was expecting, though to be honest I wasn't at all sure what to expect. The fact that Salvation Films picked this up in the UK did give me some ideas.
Very atmospheric and visually beautiful (they are in a graveyard for most of it after all), with some lovely if bizarre dialogue. It's just as well that they never got out, I expect their bikes probably got nicked. There's no one like the French to have a fight, fall in a hole and then have sex (at least, I assume that's what all the writhing and hair mussing was about).
November 12, 2011
One thing's for sure: Few of us have had a first date this interesting.

"The Iron Rose" is an unusual, intriguing film, though the middle drags badly. It's less a horror story than an existential chamber play that happens to have a spooky setting.

An attractive young pair meets at a wedding reception, plans a casual date for the next day and wanders into a cemetery for lunch. They make love (apparently for hours?) in an underground crypt and emerge to find the sky darkened and their bearings obliterated. Which way is the gate? Then the girl starts intoning morose poetry and the boy starts to wish he was elsewhere.

There are just two speaking parts, and even the central couple (who go unnamed) are mostly silent. The third largest part is simply a mysterious passerby in a clown suit.

The idea of being lost in a cemetery seems more plausible, once you see this site with its thick greenery and tall headstones. The locations are wonderful, and another visual bonus is the girl's body steadily threatening to fall out of her flimsy clothes.
December 25, 2014
Jean Rollin - who usually directed erotic vampire films - changed his theme (slightly) and managed to produce this odd, nightmarish offering.
½ June 3, 2013
A brooding, atmospheric, oneiric picture. My interpretation: It's about, love/lust, time, madness (or is it?), obsurdities of life, fear of death, acceptance of death or the great unknown. Everybody will interrupt this film differntly, I'm sure. Prehaps, I should read the short story, as well. On a differnt note, Dracula is seen for a moment, not sure if it was a joke or a nod to Jean's other films, but it was intresting.
½ May 8, 2012
This was kind of a strange movie and more so of a thriller then anything horror. The young couple get locked inside a cemetery, and then later go bonkers. They start fighting and throwing things at each other. You really see the mental toll between these two while locked inside a cemetery. I wish there was more to the movie.
½ April 15, 2012
Silence punctuated by shouting does not really make for much of an eerie atmosphere. A little more of a film score would go a long way in creating a proper mood.
½ July 9, 2008
A little slow at times, but the mood, mise-en-scene and the bra-less heroine kept me watching. Bizarre for all the right reasons.
January 10, 2008
I wanted this to be as creepy and surreal as Jess Franco's "A Virgin Among the Living Dead." It's mostly not, but worth a look anyway.
December 25, 2014
July 19, 2014
Um, let's see, sex in a flimsy French graveyard, a goth-y manic pixie dream girl, clowns in full makeup visiting graves, spontaneous ballet dancing and mood swings, especially the one where the protagonist becomes enamored with death. It all has something to do with a black rose supposedly made of iron. So art house, so French, so 70's, so silly.
January 12, 2014
A young couple meet and get lost in a graveyard in this french existential art-house film.
October 29, 2013
Turgid horse manure. Well shot but boring.
½ October 12, 2013
One of the most atmospheric "horror" films that I've ever seen.... The music score and the final scene are both very haunting.
October 1, 2013
Utterly gorgeous outing showing Rollin at his poetic and nightmarish best. Intended less as a cohesive narrative and more as a visual meditation on the entwined nature of death and love.
½ June 3, 2013
½ May 8, 2012
½ April 15, 2012
November 12, 2011
One thing's for sure: Few of us have had a first date this interesting.